F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Scripted 'lock ups'

I feel that certain corners are scripted or coded to force the car to have a lock up.

I have a fair amount of experience in the F1 games and feel confident in my use of the brakes without ABS and therefore confident that I know how to avoid lock ups. 

There are times when, no matter how you approach the corner, the game is going to make you lock up regardless  -  this is even more pronounced when the game applies a lock up when you take your foot off the brake. 

It's like the game has coding along the lines of:  'if the player is doing X speed at a certain point in the braking zone, force a lock up' - and then ignores your inputs altogether. 

I feel COTA is a good example where this happens a lot but there are other tracks too. 

On a side not - I just 'no commented' all of the reporter's questions and received a teenage attitude head roll/eye roll response which I have never seen before! 

4 minutes ago, USPBauer24 said:

On a side not - I just 'no commented' all of the reporter's questions and received a teenage attitude head roll/eye roll response which I have never seen before! 

Well... thanks anyway...

(I think the roll eye animation is new this year 😄

As for your main topic, theoretically you lock up when you go beyond the level of grip allowed by the tyre. A combination of steering and braking to bring the grip demand above 100%.

I cover it in detail here.

image.png

Without live telemetry it's hard to tell what's going on in your scenario, so can't really nailt it down to hardware, software or technique.

Side-note, I find trail-braking hard too, minor lockups are common when I push 🙂 

• Thanks 1

It would be easier if you had your gameplay hooked to a telemetry app. I find it odd to believe the game would implement scripted lockups when it is 100% of the time computing a myriad of factors regarding your ride and that of all the AI cars. Even minute things like the suspension travel.

Speaking of the latter, lockups and tyre slippage can occur on throttle lift off. Your car load shifts around greatly when you let go of the throttle and when it happens the vertical load of the rear and front axles take a whole new configuration. That could easily result in a lockup as you may go beyond the grip potential.

Combine that with cambered or inclined/declined section of a track and there you have it.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure this isn't happening. The only times I'm locking up is definitely because I'm either holding the brake down for too long or I'm steering a little bit while braking. I've never had the feeling I approached a corner perfectly but I locked up anyway.

1 hour ago, USPBauer24 said:

I feel that certain corners are scripted or coded to force the car to have a lock up.

I have a fair amount of experience in the F1 games and feel confident in my use of the brakes without ABS and therefore confident that I know how to avoid lock ups. 

There are times when, no matter how you approach the corner, the game is going to make you lock up regardless  -  this is even more pronounced when the game applies a lock up when you take your foot off the brake. 

It's like the game has coding along the lines of:  'if the player is doing X speed at a certain point in the braking zone, force a lock up' - and then ignores your inputs altogether. 

I feel COTA is a good example where this happens a lot but there are other tracks too. 

nope, the lock ups aren't scripted, it's your: A poor braking with turning while applying pressure from 60% to 100% or B when tyres are overheated or "dirty" they lock up ability jumps up 

I can feel when I'm on the brakes too hard as I probably drove a little past my braking point. Which makes it so satisfying to not lock up and be smooth.

I don't think I have ever locked up off throttle either.

2 hours ago, losbuttcheeks said:

I can feel when I'm on the brakes too hard as I probably drove a little past my braking point. Which makes it so satisfying to not lock up and be smooth.

I don't think I have ever locked up off throttle either.

I'm pretty sure the only lock ups I've had without pressing anything is that they probably started the fraction of a second before I let go of the brakes or something like that.

25 minutes ago, GnrDreagon said:

I'm pretty sure the only lock ups I've had without pressing anything is that they probably started the fraction of a second before I let go of the brakes or something like that.

Locking up without applying any braking would be impossible in the real world and I certainly hope it would be in the game too. Locking up when off-throttle is totally possible though.

Check to see if the corners that constantly cause you to lock up are downhill incline or not. Usually those are the ones that are toughest on the front tires, especially if the braking point is already midway down the corner that requires trail-braking, like turn 10 of Bahrain (I still think this is THE toughest corner in the whole calendar) 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I get this happen too kinda. For example turn 5 at Monaco, if I slightly lock up going into the turn (through my own fault) but then take my foot fully off the brake, the smoke animation is still coming off the front right tyre for about a second or two like it’s still locked up, and no it isn’t just smoke that’s been caused from the lockup before. 

12 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

like turn 10 of Bahrain (I still think this is THE toughest corner in the whole calendar) 

Just did that in Season 2 of My Team.

I swear I locked the inside front every time.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Just did that in Season 2 of My Team.

I swear I locked the inside front every time.

Kinda have to treat this turn 10 as two separate corners instead of one with 2 apexes. I find it helps quite a bit if you could keep your car going as straight as possible between the 2 apexes, probably because by doing that both front wheels can share the loads from braking instead of putting all the pressure from the whole car lunging forward on one of them, the brake force is now much stronger so you don't need to press as hard which usually ends in locking-up.

The room for error is still pretty tight though...just a split second late on the brakes or if you're slightly off the line that could keep you straight, you're in a real smoke show of agony 😩😫

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Like 2

That is one of my favorite corners in the whole calendar and when I see people saying these things about it it sure makes me feel like Senna less ****** about being horrendously inconsistent with Suzuka S1.

If when I finally get a wheel my performance on Bahrain suddenly drops you bet I'll be racing there on a pad forever haha

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1