General race setup

I'm playing F1 2020 with my cousin online and it's always a bit difficult to find a free time spot during the week. I'm not the fastest guy on planet earth, but I simply love this game and the drama that comes with it. However, I don't like to spend a lot of time on the setups. (It's not that I don't enjoy it, but it's just super time consuming...) 

So my question is: Is there any basic setup you guys can recommend? Like what are the key factors for a successful race performance. 

Thanks in advance. 

Setup changes do not have a bigger effect on race pace than your driving style. Not applying the brakes fully, avoiding high amounts of steering lock, avoiding wheelspin and avoiding slides will make your setup better in race trim. 

I ran a time trial setup in Vietnam for My Team and I play on 105% difficulty on a pad with no assists, and I still got 6th place in the 50% race. 

Tyre pressures are where you could start. Lower pressures are recommended, but be aware of the following in this game:

Higher Tyre Pressures: Higher tyre temperatures, lower wear and better grip. 
Lower Tyre Pressures: Lower tyre temperatures, higher wear and better traction. 

You’ll need to find a balance between performance and tyre wear. Whenever I feel a lack of grip, I normally adjust the tyre pressures. If I feel I am getting understeer or the car slides, that is the time I adjust either the aerodynamics, differential, suspension geometry or suspension settings. 

You can check this thread for more information: 

• Disagree 1

On 8/21/2020 at 4:46 PM, Krisperfectline said:

Setup changes do not have a bigger effect on race pace than your driving style. Not applying the brakes fully, avoiding high amounts of steering lock, avoiding wheelspin and avoiding slides will make your setup better in race trim. 

I ran a time trial setup in Vietnam for My Team and I play on 105% difficulty on a pad with no assists, and I still got 6th place in the 50% race. 

Tyre pressures are where you could start. Lower pressures are recommended, but be aware of the following in this game:

You’ll need to find a balance between performance and tyre wear. Whenever I feel a lack of grip, I normally adjust the tyre pressures. If I feel I am getting understeer or the car slides, that is the time I adjust either the aerodynamics, differential, suspension geometry or suspension settings. 

The information regarding tyre pressures is confusing to me. On the one hand, you need to increase the tyre pressure for better grip, on the other hand, it will lead to higher temperatures, which lead to loss of grip. 

Is there anything I can do to increase the traction on corner exit except tyre pressure? 

On 8/21/2020 at 9:35 AM, SixtoRodriguez said:

However, I don't like to spend a lot of time on the setup

The simplest option is to just copy some setups used by more experienced players. For example 

Or

https://realsport101.com/racing/f1/f1-2020-release-date-gameplay-graphics-historic-content-career-mode-rd-setups/

I'm relatively new to the game and have more than enough to be getting on with just learning tracks and how to drive quicker that getting into the complexities of setups is something I decided not to get into right now.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SixtoRodriguez said:

The information regarding tyre pressures is confusing to me. On the one hand, you need to increase the tyre pressure for better grip, on the other hand, it will lead to higher temperatures, which lead to loss of grip. 

Is there anything I can do to increase the traction on corner exit except tyre pressure? 

Increases tyre pressure reduces grip/traction, due to a smaller contact patch with the road.

Edited by Ultra3142

5 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Increases tyre pressure reduces grip/traction, due to a smaller contact patch with the road.

And this helps getting mid or high speed corners due to the tyre leaning on the track but you can have difficulties taking low speed corners as the contact patch is smaller. All is a compromise in setup, nothing is binary.

50 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

The simplest option is to just copy some setups used by more experienced players. For example 

Or

https://realsport101.com/racing/f1/f1-2020-release-date-gameplay-graphics-historic-content-career-mode-rd-setups/

I'm relatively new to the game and have more than enough to be getting on with just learning tracks and how to drive quicker that getting into the complexities of setups is something I decided not to get into right now.

Thanks. After working my way through all the related topics on this board, I'm thinking I should focus more on my actual driving abilities than experimenting with setups. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SixtoRodriguez said:

So far I know that you can increase tracton by doing the following:

-Decrease/unlock the on throttle differential. 
-Softening the rear anti roll bars. 

In regards to tyre pressures, you need to find your balance among them... High pressures will give more grip, but without management will lead to you overheating the tyres and that would mean that the tyre does not provide enough grip. Keep on pushing and this will definitely lead to more tyre wear. Too low pressures will lead to lesser temperatures, but at the same time less grip, and due to this, you may be required to warm up your tyres more. It will still lead to more wear though.. As a pad user, I run low tyre pressures to avoid overheating... Wheel users may run more front tyre pressure and less rear pressure whilst for pad users it could be the opposite...

Edited by Krisperfectline

On 8/21/2020 at 5:46 PM, Krisperfectline said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

figured it out myself ?
higher pressure -> higher temperature -> higher wear
less pressure -> lower temperature -> lower wear
high pressure is good for straight sections
low pressure good for high speed terrain

• Disagree 1

On 8/25/2020 at 12:04 PM, Ultra3142 said:

Or

where is it better to select settings and test them?
Indeed, during the time trial there is no wear and tear and the amount of fuel (weight of the car).
During the time trial I picked up the settings and in the race (career / online) the car behaves terribly. Slides, skids, etc.

5 minutes ago, MilligramSmile said:

where is it better to select settings and test them?
Indeed, during the time trial there is no wear and tear and the amount of fuel (weight of the car).
During the time trial I picked up the settings and in the race (career / online) the car behaves terribly. Slides, skids, etc.

Race practice sessions. Note you can do this is GP mode so you can practice as much as you want.

Note that the setups I linked you to were deliberately recommended race setups rather than ones focused on time trial (as many others are).

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Race practice sessions. Note you can do this is GP mode so you can practice as much as you want.

Note that the setups I linked you to were deliberately recommended race setups rather than ones focused on time trial (as many others are). 

I just tried the settings from the video (Vietnam), it didn't work for me ... even in the time trial, the car slides and nervous control. in a career or online it will be even worse.
Very funny tire pressure:
22.2 - front left
22.6 - front right
and
20.7 - rear left
21.1 - rear right

Is the video a chess fan ?
What's the catch to put different pressure on the front wheels ?

What does one point in one direction or another give on each tire?
Why did the codemasters even split the tires on each wheel ...

Edited by MilligramSmile

33 minutes ago, MilligramSmile said:

I just tried the settings from the video (Vietnam), it didn't work for me ... even in the time trial, the car slides and nervous control. in a career or online it will be even worse.
Very funny tire pressure:
22.2 - front left
22.6 - front right
and
20.7 - rear left
21.1 - rear right

Is the video a chess fan ?
What's the catch to put different pressure on the front wheels ?

What does one point in one direction or another give on each tire?
Why did the codemasters even split the tires on each wheel ...

As I said it's a race setup. Tyre temps are irrelevant in time trial but they matter in races. The uneven pressures are deliberate to give more even temperatures in races, due to uneven stresses put on the tyres depending on the corners of a specific track.

To test this do as I suggested above and use race practice sessions 🙂. You could start with symmetrical tyre pressures and see what happens to the tyre temps.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

To test this do as I suggested above and use race practice sessions 🙂. You could start with symmetrical tyre pressures and see what happens to the tyre temps. 

Ok 🙂

@MilligramSmile you can set up an unranked practice session (90 mins max) by yourself or with AI if you choose note it won't let you go to a qualy or race session unless another person joins your session before the 90 mins are up. I've found grand prix mode to be OP on grip and qualy times for my liking when it comes to setting up my car for racing.

7 minutes ago, smudger1982 said:

@MilligramSmile you can set up an unranked practice session (90 mins max) by yourself or with AI if you choose note it won't let you go to a qualy or race session unless another person joins your session before the 90 mins are up. I've found grand prix mode to be OP on grip and qualy times for my liking when it comes to setting up my car for racing.

I guess in part it depends if the racing someone is trying to prepare for is online or offline?

19 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

As I said it's a race setup. Tyre temps are irrelevant in time trial but they matter in races. The uneven pressures are deliberate to give more even temperatures in races, due to uneven stresses put on the tyres depending on the corners of a specific track.

or maybe this is just a typical game bug, that tires wear out in different ways ...

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, smudger1982 said:

I noticed that in this game, the rear axle breaks very often during acceleration.
I play on medium traction control and this was not the case in the previous parts ...

5 minutes ago, MilligramSmile said:

or maybe this is just a typical game bug, that tires wear out in different ways ...

Definitely not, it reflects real life F1. I'm not sure why you're so keen to jump to criticisms on a subject that you're clearly just starting to learn about. 

4 minutes ago, MilligramSmile said:

I noticed that in this game, the rear axle breaks very often during acceleration.
I play on medium traction control and this was not the case in the previous parts ...

One factor that you may be overlooking is track evolution. As more laps are run then more rubber gets transferred from the tyres of cars driving around to the road surface and so the grip levels increase. The game simulates this (real life) effect.

Generally I understand it is easier to to keep traction under acceleration in F1 2020 than it was in F1 2019 (following input from real F1 drivers), which TC off now being closer to medium TC on F1 2019. I didn't play F1 2019 myself to comment. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Ultra3142 said:

Definitely not, it reflects real life F1. I'm not sure why you're so keen to jump to criticisms on a subject that you're clearly just starting to learn about. 

I've been playing F1 since 2012 and have the same bugs every year.
And the wear of one of the four tires is not the first time I meet when one wheel wears out 2 times faster on all tracks.

1 minute ago, MilligramSmile said:

I've been playing F1 since 2012 and have the same bugs every year.
And the wear of one of the four tires is not the first time I meet when one wheel wears out 2 times faster on all tracks.

Because it's NOT a bug :classic_smile:. Having played the games for many years and apparently just starting to learn about the details of what happens in real F1 are very different things. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Having played the games for many years and apparently just starting to learn about the details of what happens in real F1 are very different things.

codemasters then fixed this bug. it seems in 2016 it was ...

3 minutes ago, MilligramSmile said:

codemasters then fixed this bug. it seems in 2016 it was ...

Not tyre wears being uneven at all they didn't. It might be they were more uneven than they should have been (I don't know) but this is totally different to arguing that they should be completely even.

3 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Not tyre wears being uneven at all they didn't. It might be they were more uneven than they should have been (I don't know) but this is totally different to arguing that they should be completely even. 

time will tell :classic_smile:

1 minute ago, MilligramSmile said:

time will tell :classic_smile:

Nope. I am 100% certain about this. Do you watch real F1?