F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Wind?

So, I'm in the Hungarian GP in MyTeam (2nd season) just now ad 3-4 times at specific parts of the track my car has LURCHED to one side for absolutely no reason.  So I'm wodering if there is wind in game to affect the cars?  Or is it something completely different?

*On an aside, this is the most fascinating GP I've raced so far - qualified 21st, safety car on lap 9 changed my strategy from S 20 Laps x 2, M 30 laps to S 10 laps, M 50 Laps, S 10 laps, not all cars pitted under safety car, Verstapen, Leclerc and Stroll went for a 3 stop but Leclerc & Stroll got held up by Grosjean which meant I got DRS for 10 laps to stay with them, up to P12, then I get held up by Grosjean so change strategy again and pit on lap 35 to M try and undercut Grosjean, Verstapen pits behind me, we come out behind Magnusson and as I get ready to overtake him on the S/F straight Max divebombs ME and understeers into me taking off my endplate - meaning Grosjean gets out in front, and I'm stuck with a damaged front wing losing 0.5s to cars ahead.  Will pit for S for the las 15 laps & hope for another safety car!*

I've never felt it at Silverstone on the game and as anyone who had been to Silverstone will tell you, it's always windy there so if it was included in the game, it would certainly appear there. Which it doesn't. 😂

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I think there is wind in the game since probably F1 2017. I notice that sometimes the car changes direction on its own and turns very slightly to the left or right. Most noticeable when you're driving in a long straight, especially in China

Edited by AvengerGR35

Posted (edited)

Has anyone seen any mention of the game modelling wind and its affects from Codemasters? I'm very doubtful it does as I'd expect a bigger feature to be made of this if it did, with wind being part of the weather forecasts for example.

@BarryBL could perhaps confirm?

Edited by Ultra3142

1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

sounds like another F1 game old wives tale to me

is about the correct answer. Wind is not factored into the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you're on a pad the slight changes in direction are because after use (and it doesn't take much) the analogue sticks produce 'ghosting' where they move slightly on their own, this is an issue with the tech generally. 

• Agree 1

I highly doubt that a wind causes such sudden snap in a part of the track where there are building structures around on both sides. It more seems to me that with a DRS open and minimum downforce, the car is more vulnerable to a sudden steering wheel input in a straight line. But again, we would need to see some telemetry data and steering linearity setting, etc.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

I highly doubt that a wind causes such sudden snap in a part of the track where there are building structures around on both sides. It more seems to me that with a DRS open and minimum downforce, the car is more vulnerable to a sudden steering wheel input in a straight line. But again, we would need to see some telemetry data and steering linearity setting, etc.

This is just one of numerous times it happened - also happens in non-DRS zones.

And I am set up with high downforce.

I'm with ragequit on this one. That's no wind, even if it were somehow modeled in the game. And given the sheer intensity of forces pressing down on the car at that moment only a kamehameha would be able toss it like that in real life.

In real life the wind is felt secondarily. The driver doesn't feel it gushing in whatever direction it is coming from; they feel their grip changing in one wheel or side of the car. It changes your braking point, if affects your downforce, but it does not toss you around like you flick an ant away from your P&J sandwich.

That looks like something steering related. Specially since it is the front going in and the back following - so no funky business with your rear end's grip. Maybe a faulty controller or and overlooked input.

• Agree 1

FOR FUTURE POSTERS:

THE QUESTION ASKED OF WIND IN THE OP HAS BEEN ANSWERED - ALL QUERIES NOW ABOUT THE CAUSE OF SUDDEN SNAPS TO THE LEFT.

6 minutes ago, TheJock83 said:

FOR FUTURE POSTERS:

THE QUESTION ASKED OF WIND IN THE OP HAS BEEN ANSWERED - ALL QUERIES NOW ABOUT THE CAUSE OF SUDDEN SNAPS TO THE LEFT.

That's fine mate but for help on that you'll have to give some info on your setup. 

Are you on pad or wheel? If wheel what wheel? If pad, have you tried another ad, does it do the same? 

Is the effect noticeable in other games? Racing games if you're on wheel? 

Is it only at specific tracks of any straight where you're not using steering input?

37 minutes ago, TheJock83 said:

FOR FUTURE POSTERS:

How often does it happen? It's not normal and like @marioho my guess is this is controller related. What controller are you using, and is it a wired or wireless connection? Try wired instead if it happens to be wireless. If you have a different controller you could use it might be worth a try to see if this resolve the issue. Not in terms of you using the second controller permanently but just to try to identify where the problem is.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:42 AM, TheJock83 said:

The lurch to te left occurs like an RKO out of nowhere, the lurch to the right is me trying to correct it.

If it is in no way a car setup issue, I'm going to keep telling myself it's "the wind".

One comment - pause the video just before or after the point where the car lurches - all the flags on top of the paddock building to your right are pointed straight towards you, in line with the straight... If there was any wind, it would be a headwind down that straight and it would help you with extra downforce!