GRID the most underrated car game

Posted (edited)

@ChrisGrovesMCM @CMTGK

GRiD is probably one of the most underrated car games on the market in 2020 season. the developers' idea went in a different direction than previous Grids fans expectations, but if someone found the time to play and feel what the dev idea was (some kind inspired by previous titles in this series), they will not be disappointed. the new GRiD is a breath of fresh air with a completely new formula focused primarily on fast driving and just racing. it is clearly visible that the authors of the game tried to take the shortest possible path through the game menu towards the driver's seat. at the same time, the dominoes of competitions provide a rich grid-set of completely different impressions in different categories. I guess it's hard to find a second game that, with such a small number of tracks, allows you to enjoy a bouquet of so many different races emotions, including very nice done racing with some kind od formula cars. the sounds of engines in every group of cars is simply music to the ears, really the best sounded car game ever. despite a few graphic environment shortcomings (which game does not have them?) this is a car game with one of the best driving models on asphalt tracks. there is also no better optimized model on pad and steering wheel, poetic well balanced - big thanks team CM, can really enjoy this game if don't focus on reading the complaints snowball

the thing I wanted to ask about - you mention that there is a small support team left for this title. the game is still relatively new. is there any chance that there will be even, a small DLC addition to buy?

maybe some new track or bonus cars pack or some kind of event bonus car or aniversary car? the dream would be another season 4, even if short, consisting of several races

I understand that the forces are now shifted to Dirt5 and the new version of F1, but it would be nice if the quite new game after less than a year could count on at least symbolic support in the form of some DLC.

could You ask CM dev team about it? thanks

Edited by minetti
  • Agree 2

The racing is good but if the game is all that you say then why are you asking for tracks 😜

The biggest problem with Grid 2020 has always been the complete lack of tracks, there is no chance there will be any more as codemasters has dumped the game.  We could always ignore all the other issues if we had content!

why? tracks never enough 😉

any new route would be a huge addition 😃

and even bigger game changer would be the split screen option, I could pay extra to have the same fun but with my buddies on one TV 😏

I´m very pleased to see GRID 2019 is continuously receiving updates and fixes. The game is very nice now.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Agree, currently it's my favorite game of first choice for every spare moment and between playing more epic titles 🙂

Default setting of gamepad controler are good to learn because they are quite sensibly selected. But when it's time to experiment I recommend try to use sensitivity option around 90 and linearity about 3 and also set pad controler deadzones at 5 (from default 20). Also transmission should be set to Semi Automatic to attack by manual reduction on some occasions.

Such settings guarantee a completely better level of gameplay 🙂

minetti, he was being sarcastic.

i take english is not your 1st language.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No, I wasn't sarcastic. The game has came from nothing to something actually 1000% better than release version.

Edited by LottaLava
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LottaLava said:

No, I wasn't sarcastic. The game has came from nothing to something actually 1000% better than release version.

LOL, my sarcasm is Not my 1st language so maybe we can agree on that ?  😉

BTW, what game is this that "has came from nothing to something actually 1000% better"

you are WAY better then me @ this stuff XD

Lastly, i DID recommend this game on steam cause i had such a difficult time with nostalgia & reason. I left it that way cause of the DEEP discounts. Full price i would NEVER have recommended it !

So to those "hating" me for being honest.........................you know what i have to say to you.....................................

i am glad i don't have a opinion on pc3 "YET", i'll wait for discounts on that which i presume WILL happen.

CM, take note that trying to be EA won't help your bottom line & history ! ! !

Edited by OugaBooga
Madness engine fire
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think it ever occurred to me to think about price fluctuations in the context of reviewing the gameplay. the game was priced like most titles on the market, so the arguments and logic a bit strange but let's leave this topic. price is always a relative concept through the prism of the wallet thickness, therefore there is no point making it an argument and tearing garments 😉

the gentlemans just don't talk about money, someone told me that 🙂

we have a cool game with content expaned by the seasons. such a policy makes long-term sense and builds up the community. so now we would like more @LottaLava do you agree? 🙂

Edited by minetti
  • Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, minetti said:

I don't think it ever occurred to me to think about price fluctuations in the context of reviewing the gameplay. the game was priced like most titles on the market, so the arguments and logic a bit strange but let's leave this topic.

we have a cool game with content expaned by the seasons. such a policy makes long-term sense and builds up the community. so now we would like more @LottaLava do you agree? 🙂

Logic is Only strange to those incapable, NOT say you you are of that mindset !GRID 2019 is full of illogical decisions unless it's at a stand point of profit !Please understand that, many DON'T because of "impulse"..................THAT's what hype media & architects of marketing are fantastic @ doing till it back 

splashes back in their face !

So many fans of all sorts of games keep saying the SAME thing but are disregarded due to "profits"

I hope all of these people disregarding us learn a lesson but i doubt it will happen when you have more $$$ then you can spend !

Oh man i am sooooooo tired of explaining, just read the writing on the proverbial wall.

Dear mighty creator, help those blind SEE !

Ouga OUT !

• Agree 1

It was said again and again. The actual RACING is pretty good. The game is fun for the most part, when you are on track. The races are enternaining.... they should have worked with AI better tho, as some of em are a breeze, and some of em are downright impossible to overtake. Also, on higher levels, it goes over agrressive for no reason.

I recently tried PC3 (fortunately haven't bought it) and I think that Grid is superior, tho PC3 has more content. It seems more and more obvious to me that they kinda held Grid down in favour of PC3, cuz that game has all the content that this one lacks. Still it drives, looks, and sounds worse... like, if you actually merge both games you'll end up having a great experience. But they decided to split them in two for some reason...

Still, you'll have a better value right now with Grid Ultimate Edition around  the $15 mark, than paying full price for PC3. 

Seen enough vids about PC3 that tells me to stay away from that game even on discount. 

And that is not because it isn't a sim.

Edited by Assiemodis

There is a lot about it that SMS has been taken over with the already advanced PCARS3 project so it looks just like the people from SMS designed it. I think CM has no interest in restricting each other's products. They invest to build a broad portfolio because with a wide spoon you have more cake for yourself. Of course, these dev teams will certainly exchange their know-how experiences but these game projects were too advanced and on completely different engines to make a hybrid at this stage. It does not work like that 😉

Back to the GRiD, Southam Team made a great game, although with less content than the previous Grid Autosport. I will come back to AI here because it is a very difficult task for game designers. It is really difficult to design an optimal solution because nobody wants to play schematic games or games that are really hard to win. Either you are going towards a game that is constantly racing against you, so your rivals like a cloud of flies on glue mysteriously grabs you and holds you like you are not trying, either towards a game where the drivers race against each other and you fight between them. In that second case, if you run away in a few turns, you cannot physically catch up with you and this is a real model that they managed to implement. That's why sometimes you'll run away and never get caught. And sometimes someone runs away and you can't catch up with him. But most of all in the GRiD, AI drivers fight with each other and with you - from what I remember there are dozens of different AI profiles in the GRiD. Just because of this the GRiD can serve a great race in which we shuffle on the next laps and at the end we suddenly lose or jump out of the group to win by the bumper. It is beautiful and I would like to thank the Southam Team for that because such emotions do not accompany every race game. It is also clear for me that races must NOT be repeatable - sometimes difficult, sometimes fighting, sometimes surprisingly easy. I guess that's why some people say that the game is AI himerous, and I think it is just well designed like in real life. It is true that when you put yourself in pole position it is easy to win because you just have to try a little and get ahead on the empty road and then defend wisely. It is much more satisfying to start from the 10th position or the last one because then you really have to look for moments where your car fits to push your ass forward the group. I had races where I was pushing ahead to be the first on the last lap and on the last bend my rival reached me in the tunnel and then lightly hit me by side so that I was drawing on the wall for a moment and I got sixth .... something beautiful and unforgettable 😁

Another interesting fact about AI, look at what your rivals are doing when you start playing strategically in the time attack race, making a quick lap with the best time and then driving slowly trying to do as an obstacle 😉

By the way, I count on your support posts on the split-screen topic. Let's bring it to the end in a cultural atmosphere. After all, we and Codemasters want the same 🙂 games that will meet expectations and keep promises. So lets tell them that it is not worth throwing words into the wind

Edited by minetti
  • Agree 1

There are two core problems with the AI. But first, the good things.

They fight with each other, they make mistakes, they defend themselves. That alone alone makes some races more interesting than in other games.

On the negative side, they're over aggressive for no reason. I mean, I don't think that Fernando Alonso would ram me IRL in a V8 super car, and also get angry (Nemesis) while doing it. Well, it happens here, and is beyond dumb. Is like the game forces contact way too much. You cannot go without the nemesis system. If you play carefully, the IA will manage to get ****** in most situations anyway.

The other bad thing is the difficulty itself. Let's use the Okutama even with Group 1 GT. Doing a qualy in hard difficulty, the fastest time was 1:55. My lap time was about 1:57.5, which places me in a comfortable last place. So, I decided to go back to normal, because it was clearly too hard for me. And there, I made an easy pole with that same time, as the fastest time was 2:00... how you can go from last to P1 in just one difficulty grade? It clearly needed something in between. That is not realistic at all 🙂

• Agree 1

I understand, but I remember when the dev said that they weren't trying to make a real simulator like ACC and weren't trying to make something arcade fun like NFS or even Horizon with open world. He mentioned that the inspiration was to capture the motorsport ontrack/street fighting spirit and driving pleasure with a touch of the best from arcade and sim. He explained that this is why they do not implement extensive careers and garages full of options. he talked a lot about that the fight on the track is the gamecore, basically the whole innovation was focused on the driving model and the AI models, according to the creator, nemesis is what creates a relationship and competition that gives the joy of motorsport racing.

This game does not force you to win and you can even just skip some races because the creators didn't want to put pressure on the winning scheme. they did not want a schematic competition where you just painstakingly climbing the career steps. they wanted you to enjoy the ride and I think they did. without all those AI profiles and without these aggressive traits on the track it would be another car game where you pass carton cars.

I really like this approach to car racing. It's great that they don't punish harshly here and you don't get disqualified if you go off track for a while when you are fighting to win the race. yes the game will punish you if you overdo it but at the same time penalizing system in the qualifications becomes more challenging as you have an empty track. This is the fun of gameplay and I like it

In my opinion, it is clearly visible that this game was some kind lab project for Codemasters, where they try to develop better driving model for casual and sim drivers (also for gamepad and wheel) and where they try to develop an AI system that can be implemented in many other productions with a larger budget.

However, they made a great game that gives a lot of racing fun and is a very scalable product. you can arrange it as you like all the time so that you still have fun of just jump&drive formula (not another game about winning scheme or a career). also that's why many people review it - too easy this or too difficult that. no no, you have to setup this game to your skills. You can easy fight for pole position but you will quickly find that racing is more fun when you start at the distant position. is it too easy? take off from a middle or as last one, choose the weaker car, loosen the ABS / Traction / Stabilty - push the limits by yourself is a very good idea 🙂 this game is an race engine

It's hard for me to judge the qualifying limits, I honestly don't know if they are based on the algorithm that simply just adds or subtracts a few seconds from the result depending on the difficulty level? or maybe AI also generates a certain randomness of these results? I didn't check careffuly. maybe even it looks different for other car groups? I am looking at a quick comparison now and for the BMW M1 Turbo Group 5 legend race I have the results with the tip 44 48 55 going down successively from the most difficult. so it's about five seconds? I play on the pad and for me AI Difficulty Hard it's optimal for this race to have some emotions and fight. When I win a race without a fight, I change the difficulty level.

Sometimes when the route has several turns, I improve the time by about two seconds, so if the difficulty levels are actually close to this value, it seems ok. I think people are shooting very different results and such a system has to be flexible in some way. I don't know anything about it but I don't see a problem here. maybe I'm too weak driver to feel the limits of this game 😉 if anyone has doubts whether this AI system is fighting, I recommend the race BMW M1 Turbo Group 5 legend (because these cars are monsters) and set AI Difficulty on Medium and next race Very Hard (with Nathan Mckane as a partner).

That's true, Hard/Very Hard AI setting is a lot of aggression and in fact, if they have the opportunity, they will push you off the track and you feel their breath on your back. Besides, they are fast because they manage a car very efficiently. Many people wrote that AI at higher levels has boost cars, but I think it's a driving style. I recommend playing TUNING options before every race because, for example, choosing the Gear Ratio has a significant impact on our results. Also I recommend Semi Auto gear because you can use reduction effect when needed.

Have you changed your controller settings? They really have a huge impact on the gameplay imho 🙂

By the way, if someone is looking for a more technical and clean driving then F1 is probably the perfect choice 😉 or just set the AI to lower level

Edited by minetti
  • Agree 1

Career - simple list of events. Compare it with RD: GRID

Damage - reduced. Compare it with all previous GRIDs.

Visuals - very short LOD, ugly tree models and no real reflections on tracks. Compare it with GRID2 and Autosport.

Content - lack of. Compare it with Autosport.

Multiplayer - totally undeveloped at launch time. Compare it with RD: GRID

This garbage absolutely deserves the treatment it got.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disagree 2

Yes, the game formula has changed to more simple just drive & go. Perhaps it has to do with designing games for mobile platforms. In my opinion, the marketing of this title should take this into account so there wouldnt be so many disappointments and unnecessary comparisons. Maybe even the title of the game should contain a simplification like GRID&Go or something like that.

However, the game is enjoyable and I will miss the next seasons, as they always add some new locations.

Note that a year later PCARS3 appears (from another studio) which simply copies the contents of PCARS2 and also degrades the graphics quality and it does not deserve to be called new game.

More important...

The situation with the GRiD split-screen option is very sad, which was promoted and under this banner encouraged to buy the extended version. I wonder if the social campaign would have any effect because they completely do not feel responsibility for the declarations Chris made in interviews. It looks really bad when they announce it again in a new game based on exactly the same generation framework.

Damn it, Codemasters how are we going to feel about this? Why should we trust the quality of your promises?

Edited by minetti

3 minutes ago, OugaBooga said:

OCD anyone ?

On 9/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, OugaBooga said:

anyhow, i got to stop visiting the grid forum, it always makes me bitter of what greed 2019 turned out to be.................

just follow the doctor's recommendations

17 hours ago, FlashStealth said:

minetti why you keep tagging community managers at every post ? there is no answer from them...

Every post? as far as I can count, there are nine my posts in this topic and the ping was only at the first one.

I would like to see some Codies feedback here but it seems the crew evacuated first and the passengers were left alone 😉

I really like this game and I bought it a long time ago reading that I will get a split support in later DLC. I have two pads and I have a lot of people around with whom I would like to enjoy the game on my TV.

I wonder how @ChrisGrovesMCM imagines his evacuation and just opening a new Dirt 5 section?

I don't want to offend him, but I would feel like a clown myself in a situation where people ask about the promised split-screen in the GRiD, and I'm showing them Dirt 5 with a split-screen option up to four players 🤡🤡🤡🤡 

Edited by minetti

i see all the tag, not only in this topic. Is always the same.

They don't answer, the ''selling days'' are over, there is no interest anymore. The maximum answer you can get, is ''yes, wee keep an eye on the forum guys, about adding new stuff not promises though'' or something like that, just circumstances political correct answer. Nothing for real.

And i'm sure they will not ask the dev team to put again the hands on the game to add split screen feature... 

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, FlashStealth said:

They don't answer, the ''selling days'' are over, there is no interest anymore. The maximum answer you can get, is ''yes, wee keep an eye on the forum guys, about adding new stuff not promises though'' or something like that, just circumstances political correct answer. Nothing for real.

And i'm sure they will not ask the dev team to put again the hands on the game to add split screen feature... 

sad

1 hour ago, minetti said:

sad

I'm your dream, make you real
I'm your eyes when you must steal
I'm your pain when you can't feel
Sad but trueeeeee