F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

My Team - advice on do's and don'ts for a new starter

Hi all.

After messing around in Career and doing the online events for a few months I think it is time to try out 'My Team'.

I have read countless posts about My Team but was wondering if those of you out there who now have a good level of experience would like to share that with me - and anyone else who might be considering My Team. I am thinking about any tips on things that, as I set My Team up, I definitely 'must do' or, probably more importantly, definitely 'must not do'!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Lurtz said:

Hi all.

After messing around in Career and doing the online events for a few months I think it is time to try out 'My Team'.

I have read countless posts about My Team but was wondering if those of you out there who now have a good level of experience would like to share that with me - and anyone else who might be considering My Team. I am thinking about any tips on things that, as I set My Team up, I definitely 'must do' or, probably more importantly, definitely 'must not do'!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Buy strongest engine.It affect's çar performance so much.

Edited by mahmutcan0163

6 hours ago, USPBauer24 said:

Don't waste money upgrading your team mate. 

I learned this the hard way. Now I'm stuck with a 70 rating Tatiana midway through season 2 when I could've gone for Russell during the mid season driver selection

Posted (edited)

Firstly, I would suggest making sure you check your own driver perks. In particular the acclaim and resource ones. One of cheapest ways to increase both of these resources. Likewise look to update the team marketing that improves their acclaim from each race. It is expensive, but does pay for itself in the long run in that you can get more sponsors sooner.

On updating facilities I went with updating each one on each that increases resource percentage each week and also lowering chance to fail research. It is very annoying waiting for updates and then they fail and have to be paid for again, even if it is for half price.

Teammates are not utterly useless unlike what some are saying, but it takes time. Took couple of seasons for me with Jack Aitkin. Just note that they can only update each area of their skills to a max of +15. It doesn't warn you of this. So any events you do between races that effect 2nd driver will do NOTHING if they have +15 in that stat already. It will change to say +17, but that stat will change back to +15 by time you've done another race. Assume it is an intentional cap, but I saw no warning about it. However, their base stats do slowly rise. Jack's experience has changed from 35 to 40 by end of season 2 for example. Hence why keeping them can help.

2nd driver will add his own perks, but he needs his own cash to do it. Be that from money you spend on him in contract deal or from each race. If you pick the option to pay the extra each time you do their contract they will add at least one perk per season. So I'd try sticking with your choice at least for a few seasons rather than chop and change. Not tried a top driver myself yet as only on season 3 (first race) but at this point Jack is quick and has been on podium with me in latter half of season 2. I have all the driver updates like simulator etc. done in facilities.

Keep an eye on R&D morale and pick interview questions that will help the lowest morale departments. Done right along with activities between races and you should be able to keep all of them in good morale most of the time. This lowers build time, and fail chance for update research.

At start pick good engine. It really helps, as  you can focus a little more on updating other areas of your car to some degree.

Really, really look to upgrade durability of ICE, Turbo and Gearbox at least one level or you will find quite likely you'll need extra engines or gearbox's in your seasons.

That's my tips. I'm sure others will have other ideas, and my not agree with mine, but it works well enough for me this way. Hope it helps. Let me know if not, or you got questions.

Edited by halfblindgamer
Missed some information.
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

Always praise your sponsors on interviews .They give bonus to you.

Edited by mahmutcan0163
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, halfblindgamer said:

Firstly, I would suggest making sure you check your own driver perks. In particular the acclaim and resource ones. One of cheapest ways to increase both of these resources. Likewise look to update the team marketing that improves their acclaim from each race. It is expensive, but does pay for itself in the long run in that you can get more sponsors sooner.

On updating facilities I went with updating each one on each that increases resource percentage each week and also lowering chance to fail research. It is very annoying waiting for updates and then they fail and have to be paid for again, even if it is for half price.

Teammates are not utterly useless unlike what some are saying, but it takes time. Took couple of seasons for me with Jack Aitkin. Just note that they can only update each area of their skills to a max of +15. It doesn't warn you of this. So any events you do between races that effect 2nd driver will do NOTHING if they have +15 in that stat already. It will change to say +17, but that stat will change back to +15 by time you've done another race. Assume it is an intentional cap, but I saw no warning about it. However, their base stats do slowly rise. Jack's experience has changed from 35 to 40 by end of season 2 for example. Hence why keeping them can help.

2nd driver will add his own perks, but he needs his own cash to do it. Be that from money you spend on him in contract deal or from each race. If you pick the option to pay the extra each time you do their contract they will add at least one perk per season. So I'd try sticking with your choice at least for a few seasons rather than chop and change. Not tried a top driver myself yet as only on season 3 (first race) but at this point Jack is quick and has been on podium with me in latter half of season 2. I have all the driver updates like simulator etc. done in facilities.

Keep an eye on R&D morale and pick interview questions that will help the lowest morale departments. Done right along with activities between races and you should be able to keep all of them in good morale most of the time. This lowers build time, and fail chance for update research.

At start pick good engine. It really helps, as  you can focus a little more on updating other areas of your car to some degree.

Really, really look to upgrade durability of ICE, Turbo and Gearbox at least one level or you will find quite likely you'll need extra engines or gearbox's in your seasons.

That's my tips. I'm sure others will have other ideas, and my not agree with mine, but it works well enough for me this way. Hope it helps. Let me know if not, or you got questions.

Exactly what i done in my 1st and 2nd Seasons.. Actually haven t started the 3rd because of my work schedule but I had won in the 2nd season both drivers and constructors world championship Titles and my Team Mate Tatiana Calderón are with 74 rating and been constantly at the podium since mid part of the Season.. Already i have the Best car of the field in all categories.. But its recommended invest hardly as soon as you could in Reliability and In Marketing Departmens.. Try to finish your 1st season with level 1 or some in levelel 2 that will help you a lot for the upcoming Seasons 

6 minutes ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

Exactly what i done in my 1st and 2nd Seasons.. Actually haven t started the 3rd because of my work schedule but I had won in the 2nd season both drivers and constructors world championship Titles and my Team Mate Tatiana Calderón are with 74 rating and been constantly at the podium since mid part of the Season.. Already i have the Best car of the field in all categories.. But its recommended invest hardly as soon as you could in Reliability and In Marketing Departmens.. Try to finish your 1st season with level 1 or some in levelel 2 that will help you a lot for the upcoming Seasons 

Yeah, I won season 2 in both drivers and constructors. I have Jack Aitkin at overall 86 rating now I think. His low sat is experience at 40 (+15), race 62 (+15), awareness 70 something (+15) and pace is 78 (+15). I just finished Australia practice 3 and he topped me into second in timing lists by 0.012 seconds. Mind you, my hotlap in practice 3 was not totally great.

8 hours ago, AvengerGR35 said:

I learned this the hard way. Now I'm stuck with a 70 rating Tatiana midway through season 2 when I could've gone for Russell during the mid season driver selection

I got Russel on 3rd season . He's an really strong driver his overall is 92 last time I looked . Closest driver to Lewis in stats and he never lets the team down in races . I did try getting him after 1st season but wasent sure how the negeoations went and the time ran out when bidding for him . .I'm thinking about starting a new game now this as Lewis is retiring at end of season ,3 which is too early for him to retire and that messed me plans up to hire him bit further down the line . And the fact my grid doesn't look like it does in real life with all the transfers that's happend to other teams . Does anyone know if drivers try Res are scripted or is it random as don't wanna start new game if everything is going to turn out the same 

6 hours ago, halfblindgamer said:

Just note that they can only update each area of their skills to a max of +15. It doesn't warn you of this. So any events you do between races that effect 2nd driver will do NOTHING if they have +15 in that stat already. It will change to say +17, but that stat will change back to +15 by time you've done another race. Assume it is an intentional cap, but I saw no warning about it. However, their base stats do slowly rise. Jack's experience has changed from 35 to 40 by end of season 2 for example. Hence why keeping them can help.

All solid tips but this one I'm not so positive about. If I'm not mistaken, all the +x stats you see on your teammate's data are being provided by your Simulator facility, the one you upgrade in terms of pace, racecraft and awareness. They're semi-permanent in the sense that as long as your 2nd driver stays with you, he's benefiting from your facility's buff – and the same buff will benefit any 2nd driver you get, to the same degree. 

Your 2nd driver can also get temporary buffs from your daily Activities. Those you slot in your calendar. These only last for a single GP though, regardless of your facilities levels. They're like intensive preparation for the upcoming event.

I may be wrong here as I have yet to see things change by myself. I'm only on my 2nd season. But that's what I gathered from people's comments and Codemasters clarifications.  

• Agree 1

Thanks everyone - there is some real good stuff here. Your time and effort is much appreciated.

Invest in some more downforce quickly and don't ignore the chassis like I did for most of the first season.

22 hours ago, halfblindgamer said:

Teammates are not utterly useless unlike what some are saying, but it takes time. Took couple of seasons for me with Jack Aitkin. Just note that they can only update each area of their skills to a max of +15. It doesn't warn you of this. So any events you do between races that effect 2nd driver will do NOTHING if they have +15 in that stat already. It will change to say +17, but that stat will change back to +15 by time you've done another race.

I thought from what I'd read here that ALL 2nd driver boosts from events only lasted a single race?

9 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I thought from what I'd read here that ALL 2nd driver boosts from events only lasted a single race?

Yeah it might be the case. I said nothing, because frankly I can't see evidence it does actually do anything. 2nd driver is so inconsistent I'd only use an activity for that boost if nothing better is there to take. The darn thing I can't remember is if the boost is temp even if you aren't at the +15 stat. Assume it is, but can't remember.

• Like 1