F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Lack of AI mistakes and crashes

Either I’m so used to it that I don’t notice it anymore, but when I first got the game I did notice the AI locking up their fronts a lot. Like I said, maybe I’m so used to it, that I haven’t noticed it lately. 

I play on 101 difficulty and I only see drivers crashing if they're in the DRS zone and wiggle like in the video above with Sainz crashing out on Baku. The only other time I've seen a big crash from an AI car is on Spa at Eau Rouge in the wet, when both Mercedes went side by side up the hill and both ended up in the wall. Aside from that, I more or less have to cause the accidents to happen, if I want them to happen(I don't unless it's Kmag, screw him).

In terms of mistakes, I've seen a lot from the AI, but nothing massively significant. A slight wiggle when they're coming out of a corner on old tyres is the most common for me.

• Agree 1

Since release, I've only seen a few wiggles. That's it.

We need more mistakes with consequences.

For example, with F1 2012 as I was going around La Source hairpin at Spa, a driver a few places back kept on going into the run off area, locked up just missing the wall and had to turn around and rejoin. That was great.

Outbraking and locking up into a wall or run off area. Clipping the edge of the track onto the grass and losing control into a spin. Duelling with another car and clipping tyres, sending one or the other flying. Just having a random hit of oversteer into a long corner and spinning off during practice or qualifying. The cars need to be looser and have less restrictions on "personal space".

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, hsf said:

I play on 101 difficulty and I only see drivers crashing if they're in the DRS zone and wiggle like in the video above with Sainz crashing out on Baku. The only other time I've seen a big crash from an AI car is on Spa at Eau Rouge in the wet, when both Mercedes went side by side up the hill and both ended up in the wall. Aside from that, I more or less have to cause the accidents to happen, if I want them to happen(I don't unless it's Kmag, screw him).

In terms of mistakes, I've seen a lot from the AI, but nothing massively significant. A slight wiggle when they're coming out of a corner on old tyres is the most common for me.

I had the AI difficulty on 101 too and I'm on my 3rd Season of My Team yet only tiny looses and little lockups I see the AI do but I haven't seen them do any divebomb overtakes which can go well or wrong depend on the corner, and going off topic I think the Safety Car in Career will only come out if there's a crash on the track and not the AI parks on the side of the track when they have car trouble to DNF, it makes my Career as stale as last year's game.

• Agree 1

This really does need improving. FPS shooters can get by with basic AI because multiplayer is where the main appeal is for those games. Meanwhile the online racing lobbies are a nightmare so it’s the offline races that make myself and so many others buy this game so the AI can’t be robotic in its perfection.

The Race Director sections should be filled with drama and encourage me to scout through the race replay but the list is often empty and if there is anything it’s usually a minor bump.

I see the AI often do a lockup when I'm chasing them. Not actually sure if it affects their tyrewear or pace in later stages. But I have once noticed that Perez who was clearly faster than me locked up twice when I got out of the pits just behind him and towards the end of the stint (he pitted a lap before me) he was struggling significantly more than me. Wasn't sure whether it was down to him locking up or me just being better with my tyres. 

Either way, AI usually DNFs with "mechanical failure". Never actually see them plant their car in the wall or against another driver.
What frustrates me the most that I've been spun around by the fault of the AI multiple times now and they always only get a warning, never a penalty. 

And yes, I watched the replay so many times if it wasn't my mistake by steering in or closing the door. Perez once crashed me out in Zandvoort, didn't receive a penalty. 
Sainz spun me in Bahrain and didn't even receive a warning. 
But if I do the slightest wheelbang, boom, warning.

4 hours ago, Malarky94 said:

I see the AI often do a lockup when I'm chasing them. Not actually sure if it affects their tyrewear or pace in later stages. But I have once noticed that Perez who was clearly faster than me locked up twice when I got out of the pits just behind him and towards the end of the stint (he pitted a lap before me) he was struggling significantly more than me. Wasn't sure whether it was down to him locking up or me just being better with my tyres. 

Either way, AI usually DNFs with "mechanical failure". Never actually see them plant their car in the wall or against another driver.
What frustrates me the most that I've been spun around by the fault of the AI multiple times now and they always only get a warning, never a penalty. 

And yes, I watched the replay so many times if it wasn't my mistake by steering in or closing the door. Perez once crashed me out in Zandvoort, didn't receive a penalty. 
Sainz spun me in Bahrain and didn't even receive a warning. 
But if I do the slightest wheelbang, boom, warning.

Also worth noting that the damage system is favourable to the AI too, especially on simulation damage. I got rear ended on on Spa and my front wing disintergrated, but the AI that smashed into my rear end only had minor wing damage... I mean that is ridiculous...

It's almost like your car has the simulation damage on but the AI has reduced damage on.

14 hours ago, hsf said:

Also worth noting that the damage system is favourable to the AI too, especially on simulation damage. I got rear ended on on Spa and my front wing disintergrated, but the AI that smashed into my rear end only had minor wing damage... I mean that is ridiculous...

It's almost like your car has the simulation damage on but the AI has reduced damage on.

I think that’s exactly how it works unfortunately. The AI damage sensitivity doesn’t seem to change when you change this setting, only the players.

Ridiculous design decision.

Also, it’s so frustrating when you have contact with the AI no where near your front wing, and it breaks! Drives me mad. I want to play with simulation damage, but it’s just not worth it at the moment - it’s more like and unfair random damage mode

BREAKING NEWS: Bottas just had an accident in the Dutch GP on my Driver Career save. \o/

He was going round the slow turn 12 and he managed to wheelspin-oversteer into the wall on the left as he accelerated out of the corner. It was quite comical, like someone learning how to drive the game with a wheel and pedals for the first time. The fact that he had only one hand on the wheel at the time because he was changing ERS modes or something, that added to the immersion that he couldn't control the car quite as well.

Coupled with the fact I'd just installed the latest version of the 'Extreme, Medium, Realistic Damage' Mod from StrongestFish on Racedepartment (I use 'Realistic'), this meant he lost his front wing and had to pit. If that had happened without the mod, because it happened at such a slow speed, he would never have lost his wing and wouldn't have lost so many positions.

I think the amount of AI mistakes are quite well balanced atm.

I've seen many locking up their brakes, spinning while touching wheels, getting loose and losing momentum on corner exit, etc. I would imagine implementing the kinda major human-like mistakes described by OP are probably a little difficult and complicated to get right, as of now even the occasional engine failure of AI got me frustrated because of how scripted they felt, as well as it made me feel dirty to win in such way.

Edited by DRT-Apophis

We had AI on in the joker race at COTA (Forum Championship) and I started way back as I had no idea what the racing line was before joining the session. I was making some progress and the AI up front was significantly slower than I was. I wasn't even planning to overtake him on the start-finish straight, but I went on the outside and got in front of him even before we reached turn 1. The AI then decided to brake way too late and smash into me... Wasn't fun 😁

Most of the time I see an AI making a mistake, it's me who'll be pitting at the end of the lap.

The last 4 races I've done, the AI crashed in 2 of them. They didn't crash in any DRS zone. Both of them crashed in a corner and in the exit of a corner. Generally in my game the AI has crashed many times on its own or with another car. I play on 105 now by the way.