F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

I can’t hide my frustration anymore

Just now, Blent said:

I appreciate you expanding on what you mean. I can understand your perspective a lot better now.

When it comes to the long-term intrigue and reasons to keep playing, I'd actually say F1 2020 does the best job of keeping me engaged and wanting to play longer into career mode than its predecessors.

First of all, the welcome introduction of the shorter calendars allows me to actually get through a season on a reasonable timeframe as I like to race longer distance races to feel really immersed in the racing itself. Having to try and do 22 of these per season while fitting it around my work and home life and other games I want to play always made doing multiple seasons in F1 2016-19 feel like a real slog to me. Now, I'm actually able to get through multiple seasons in career mode in this game.

Also, the dynamic team performances, car development, driver transfer market and retirements and the regulation changes all go a massive way to make each new season feel different and keep that intrigue going into multiple seasons. The storylines change. The performance of your team changes and you're able to influence that. I haven't maxed out my MyTeam yet, but maybe if and when I do it'll stop being fun or challenging. But if it comes to that point, I suppose I can artificially stop upgrading my car to keep things level. Although admittedly that isn't really the point that we should have to resort to that to keep things challening if we want that.

I think MyTeam is a mode that, hopefully, will be around for the long-term in the series and been improved and refined as time goes by. It would be really interesting to see how a future MyTeam mode would look on next-gen, especially.

But in the meantime, I think F1 2020 does the best job at providing that long-term interest and immersion thatn any game in the series so far.

I fully understand that, maybe you should read my previous post where I mentioned Ultra so I don't have to type that again haha.

The myteam mode in general is fun, but when you are even 3-4 seasons in and you have upgraded everything there is nothing much to play for really. 

Like I said before, everyone likes different things and plays the game differently. We are having a conversation about the same thing with completely different perspectives, we should have more options to give everyone the experience that they want.

It's always difficult for me to type out how I feel about something in relatively short messages and I don't want to type a message that is incredibly long so I hope you understand what I mean 🙂

1 hour ago, Jordutchy said:

It doesn't matter what lenght you race on, there should always be a challenge and something to work towards in my opinion. I get that some people like it this way but many people like me don't, that's why I'm hoping codemaster will eventually add in options that will make things more fun for people that go longer into seasons

My point was simply that complaining about longevity of gameplay whilst playing with settings that deliberately abbreviate the action doesn't entirely make sense.

Your point about the AI teams adapting worse to regulation changes is something I've seen others mention too. That does sound like an issue if running lots of seasons.

45 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

My point was simply that complaining about longevity of gameplay whilst playing with settings that deliberately abbreviate the action doesn't entirely make sense.

Your point about the AI teams adapting worse to regulation changes is something I've seen others mention too. That does sound like an issue if running lots of seasons.

I get your point, but it doesn't matter if you do 25%, 50% or 100% races the end result will eventually be the same. There will be nothing to do after a few seasons in the myteam mode, you can drag it out by doing longer race distances but like I said it will end up being the same. After a couple seasons there is just nothing to upgrade anymore in terms of r&d and the facilities, even if those regulation changes hit you will have enough r&d to adapt all of it while the ai don't. I really hope codemasters do something with that this year but I'm guessing we have to wait untill next years game for that.

Perhaps don't upgrade so quickly, pace it out. Don't throw all your money at facilities so early, don't upgrade RP generation until the latest point. There is playability in there. Could it use more? Yes, obviously, and more sophisticated team management theories, as has been mentioned. But don't forget, this is the first season this scenario has been added to the game. Hopefully CM will, to mix my sports metaphors, pick that ball up and run with it. 

• Agree 1

I said it many times - Codmasters have the F1 license for too long. It's time for another company to do a new game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, amazingblaze said:

Perhaps don't upgrade so quickly, pace it out. Don't throw all your money at facilities so early, don't upgrade RP generation until the latest point. There is playability in there. Could it use more? Yes, obviously, and more sophisticated team management theories, as has been mentioned. But don't forget, this is the first season this scenario has been added to the game. Hopefully CM will, to mix my sports metaphors, pick that ball up and run with it. 

True, but that still doesn't fix it for me really and is not they way things should be going in my opinion. Altough it's the first time for myteam and facilities, r&d has been around for a while and hasn't changed to last year. 

14 hours ago, DillarF1 said:

The weather system I think others have touched on, but it is utterly pointless. Everyone pits at the same time, and you can't drive around the weather. By which I mean, put on inters early. There is a very specific time to pit, that the AI without fail, nails. 

I will counter this afirmation, I LOVE when there's races that go dry to wet and vice versa. Why? Because I can gamble with it and no, not every driver pits in the same time. 

I had a race for my carrer mode, at williams in silverstone. The race started dry and about half the race there was a safety car, I asked jeff about weather and he said 5 minutes to the rain (acctually my Jeff is quite precise) and I decided to pit under safety car for the inters, I was the only one. When the safety car entered, it started raining and ALMOST everyone pitted. In 19 drivers, about 15 driver went to the pits, in the next lap the rest went up (so not everyone pitted at the same time), what happen after that? I was leading the race with 20 seconds for the 2nd place, ending up winning the race making a big drive to not let bottas and verstappen pass me, as they were winning 4 sec a lap (i was in a willams so yea....). 

And this type of stuff hasn't happen only in this race, it happens a lot of time to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Something that I wish: Grid customization for Grand Prix mode races. Imma do races where I start all the front runners from the back. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Alon78 said:

I said it many times - Codmasters have the F1 license for too long. It's time for another company to do a new game.

This is a bad take.

If the current state of the series was bad, I'd understand. But I've been playing F1 games since the mid-90s and the current game is the best it's ever been.

There's zero guarantee that handing the license to another developer would make things any better. If anything, it's overwhelmingly likely that any new game by new developers would be objectively worse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

9 hours ago, Blent said:

This is a bad take.

If the current state of the series was bad, I'd understand. But I've been playing F1 games since the mid-90s and the current game is the best it's ever been.

There's zero guarantee that handing the license to another developer would make things any better. If anything, it's overwhelmingly likely that any new game by new developers would be objectively worse.

I personally think Geoff Crammond’s gp series were amazing in terms of experience and depth, something codies are missing in this franchise.. that was the peak imho 

14 minutes ago, MrHawk said:

I personally think Geoff Crammond’s gp series were amazing in terms of experience and depth, something codies are missing in this franchise.. that was the peak imho 

Out of interest, what do you have in mind that these games did that F1 2020 doesn't?

I had Geoff Crammond's Microprose GP as a child but I don't think I played it that much and my memory of it is pretty poor now!

1 minute ago, Ultra3142 said:

Out of interest, what do you have in mind that these games did that F1 2020 doesn't?

I had Geoff Crammond's Microprose GP as a child but I don't think I played it that much and my memory of it is pretty poor now!

From the GP series I miss the little side things of the game, like the animation of the stewards cleaning the track after a crash, the lively little details of that game in general

I'm gonna stick up for Codies here, I'm often on these forum pointing out things that are odd or dont seem right, but theres a lot more right with this game than wrong.

I understand that people want the proper formation laps, cool down lap after race finishes and all the other little bits that make up the realism but ultimately it comes down to the racing for me - codies are only a few minor things away from getting that as it should.

Add in the ability for Codies to keep all previous drivers and circuits on the game from previous years and they're really got themselves sorted.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, MrHawk said:

I was a big fan of the Grand Prix series. But when you look at areas like physics, immersion, customisation and AI, it is definitely surpassed by F1 2020 today.

12 minutes ago, Blent said:

I was a big fan of the Grand Prix series. But when you look at areas like physics, immersion, customisation and AI, it is definitely surpassed by F1 2020 today.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. 

In my head it looked like this

79171842_EgBpTnJWsAA3-pG.jpg.a972d6b5472b3db0315eb23b27da1b32copy.jpg.9e75569cd3f619bd135896544326eaa1.jpg

When it actually looked like this

1434346063_maxresdefault-1.jpg.16da8ca027b804beee68c2938a54822dcopy.jpg.eff1de0936f328585353edbbe5d25862.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2020 at 1:45 AM, MrHawk said:

this game is utterly shallow, dull and lifeless.

Why? Because in general, it has no “mojo”, it’s not “dynamic” and “alive”. Randomness, unexpected things and human aspects of racing are completely missing.

I agree with your assessment, regarding the core areas of f1 2020; the game is dull and very boring. There is an old saying, jack of all trades but master of none. That saying fits the game very well. Despite having most of the features you would want in a f1 game, it still doesn't deliver what is expected.

Edited by LEWISt17KIMI
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/29/2020 at 10:37 AM, Blent said:

How exactly, has F1 2020 definitely surpassed Grand Prix 4, in both physics and AI.

Edited by LEWISt17KIMI

13 hours ago, LEWISt17KIMI said:

How exactly, has F1 2020 definitely surpassed Grand Prix 4, in both physics and AI.

I mean in the 90s, I’m not comparing GP series with f1 2020 😉 what I want to say is that if Geoff Crammond had F1 games nowadays they would probably be better in terms of gameplay depth and details. 

Posted (edited)

I agree with every single point, thanks for bringing on @MrHawk. I play F1 games since EA sports' 2000s games and this is for sure the greatest motor sports game in gaming history. But it's becoming unfortunately so ordinary and predictable. I especially agree with the damages. We see in real life racing how fragile the F1 cars are. But since 2010 it's only the front wing and front suspension that breaks in the game. I mean think about the sidepods for instance, you get a huge impact in the game and it's only a scratch. In real life, it's just a slight touch and DNF. Why not? We want 100% realism. 

Also I was thinking yesterday after my Bahreyn GP in career mode. Why not we drive manually to the parc ferme after the race ends, and park in front of the P1,P2,P3? Of we drive and park in front of a marshall after a DNF.

I have not experienced yet in 2020 but I have another point. In career mode if you have a bad race due to a weared engine or gearbox, or even DNF, your reputation goes drastically down. Why? It's not my fault that the team has ''awful'' components. 

This goes on and on. Actually this forum should be for the developers take into account and add to the game for following years.  

Edited by TheScientist903
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, TheScientist903 said:

In career mode if you have a bad race due to a weared engine or gearbox, or even DNF, you reputation goes drastically down. Why? It's not my fault that the has ****** components. 

Yes and no. How you drive will affect both engine and gearbox wear.

9 hours ago, MrHawk said:

I mean in the 90s, I’m not comparing GP series with f1 2020 😉 what I want to say is that if Geoff Crammond had F1 games nowadays they would probably be better in terms of gameplay depth and details. 

My question was aimed at Blent, who tried to make the comparison, by claiming that F1 2020 physics and AI has definitely surpassed the GP series, a belief which I don't share. I was asking how he came to this conclusion. I agree with what you are saying. If the series was owned by either Sony studios or Geoff Crammond,  the game would be more detailed and closer to the real thing. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Yes and no. How you drive will affect both engine and gearbox wear.

Yes also true. Btw I have no idea why that word was censorsed and I don't remember what I wrote. 😆

But I assure you I would never use any bad words here.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, LEWISt17KIMI said:

Quite noticeably. And, again, I say that as someone who played Grand Prix 3 and 4 to death in my younger days. Well, as much as I could given that GP4 was the buggiest and most crash-prone game I've literally ever played.

If you ever go back and play GP4, the cars feel like they have no weight to them. Yes, the cars were lighter in 2001 than 2020, but if you take, say, the fast chicane in Melbourne, the best way to take that in GP4 is to crank full left lock and then immediately full right lock. Any sense of transfer of weight is entirely null. This is in complete contrast to F1 2020, where not only do the cars feel like they have inertia and momentum, but you can actually feel a significant difference in handling when the cars are fat with fuel versus them being light.

Also, the way lockups work in GP4 is very clunky. Rather than having a threshold that allows brake pressure and temperature to build up and then lock the wheels once they reach that threshold, the brakes in GP4 simply lock up as soon as you hit around 95% pressure. It makes trail braking like in real life almost impossible. Unless you brake in a way that suits how the game's physics work, you'll end up having micro-lock ups in practically every corner, even with an analogue controller. It's very clunky.

As far as the AI goes, they do a good job in GP4 of being aware of the player and giving space, but that means they prioritise avoiding contact over everything. The AI in GP4 are far, far too easy to scare out of the way.

At the start of races, you can make up a ridiculous number of places on the run to T1 just because of how cautious the AI are in the bunch. Even on Ace difficulty, you can jump from sixth to second or even the lead because they can slow to a crawl and leave the door wide open. They also aren't that aggressive either. It's far too easy to hold off the AI in GP4 even if they're faster than you unless they get a very, very big run on you and you leave them space. GP4 races can often become Trulli-train simulators if you're racing at high difficulties in a slower car. Except, there isn't really any car performance built in for player cars in GP4. You can sit in a Minardi and be racing for points and podiums even on higher difficulties. You can't do that in a Williams in F1 2020.

I think you can make an argument to suggest that a hypothetical GP5 in 2020 would naturally improve on all these areas and I'd agree. But if you're seriously suggesting that GP4's physics and AI are objectively superior to F1 2020's, then I think you need to go back and play GP4 and you'll realise that's just not true.

If you can even get it to run, of course.

Edited by Blent
  • Like 1

Nostalgia is dangerously deceptive. I don't know how many hours I spent playing the original F1GP on my Amiga, more than I can count at least. I have very many found memories of it and I still have it installed on my A4000. But, there's just nothing to compare here. For it's time it was more than amazing, considering how much immersion and realism he managed to cream out of that limited hardware. One of the main reasons I eventually got my first wintel computer was to play GP4 and that too was great, for it's time. Still, there's so much more in the modern games and sims that it just didn't have. Anyone that thinks it was better should just fire it up again and see for themselves, it will feel so outdated today. Don't let the nostalgia fool you.

Edited by Lakrits
  • Agree 2

I also feel a bit burnt out on the series. My team is a nice addition, but overall the game still does feel kind of shallow, but tbh I always felt this way about Codemaster games for some reason. There's just something about their games that just doesn't gel with me.

The most frustrating part for me is the lack of driving standards in ranked MP, I have no motivation to rank up when I'm constantly just trying to avoid being taken out by someone who is completely out of their depth. And even if I do reach max rank, then I will probably just have a hard time finding lobbies so what's the point? All assists being available in a skill based matchmaking mode makes it sort of a joke as well.

Edited by MikeV27
  • Thanks 1