F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

I can’t hide my frustration anymore

I suppose when you compare to codemasters of old, look at TOCA 2 and Colin McRae, they where surperb titles. Even had to choose to wash your car or not in Colin McRae if you had enough time in service. 

I don’t go for each title every year As again it goes stale. 2020 has been the best in the series IMO. 

I know damage has been discussed at length and we don’t know what restrictions were in place back when Formula One on the PS1 was out. Although the physics back then couldn’t handle high damage compare to now. 

6 hours ago, MikeV27 said:

I also feel a bit burnt out on the series. My team is a nice addition, but overall the game still does feel kind of shallow, but tbh I always felt this way about Codemaster games for some reason. There's just something about their games that just doesn't gel with me.

The most frustrating part for me is the lack of driving standards in ranked MP, I have no motivation to rank up when I'm constantly just trying to avoid being taken out by someone who is completely out of their depth. And even if I do reach max rank, then I will probably just have a hard time finding lobbies so what's the point? All assists being available in a skill based matchmaking mode makes it sort of a joke as well.

Well, that's not really a fault of the game. Same thing in most online multiplayer games. Hard to do something about it, there's always the lowlives that just want to destroy for others.

On 8/28/2020 at 12:16 AM, Tomasslb24 said:

I will counter this afirmation, I LOVE when there's races that go dry to wet and vice versa. Why? Because I can gamble with it and no, not every driver pits in the same time. 

I had a race for my carrer mode, at williams in silverstone. The race started dry and about half the race there was a safety car, I asked jeff about weather and he said 5 minutes to the rain (acctually my Jeff is quite precise) and I decided to pit under safety car for the inters, I was the only one. When the safety car entered, it started raining and ALMOST everyone pitted. In 19 drivers, about 15 driver went to the pits, in the next lap the rest went up (so not everyone pitted at the same time), what happen after that? I was leading the race with 20 seconds for the 2nd place, ending up winning the race making a big drive to not let bottas and verstappen pass me, as they were winning 4 sec a lap (i was in a willams so yea....). 

And this type of stuff hasn't happen only in this race, it happens a lot of time to me.

The only reason they don't all pit at the same time, is if they're too close to a teammate. 

So it has the illusion of choice, but if you actually look at it, they don't. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2020 at 1:45 AM, MrHawk said:

Hi guys, I’ll go straight to the point with this probably useless topic.

I’ve been playing F1 for 8 years and I am thinking about giving up with the franchise.

”ok who cares, stop bothering us, we are enjoying the game”.

The game is in fact enjoyable, I have to say it’s challenging, has great graphics and it has the official license so most of the users (casual players mostly) will be happy with it, but there’s a thing I want you to think about:

this game is utterly shallow, dull and lifeless.

Why? Because in general, it has no “mojo”, it’s not “dynamic” and “alive”. Randomness, unexpected things and human aspects of racing are completely missing.

I know it must be hard to put life in a game with complex mechanics like a racing one but I think it should be one of the main missions for a developer.
That’s why I’m giving up with it, it is just the same thing repeating every damn time, in every mode, in every track, zero new scenarios, zero entertainment besides the race itself.
Please think about it, F1 fans like it because of passion and the race dynamics: I DON’T WANT A SIM and I am not hatin, I just want to enjoy a good licensed game that translate well the vibes from the track to the pc / consoles.
I would like to give you some examples of things that really destroy the good racing vibes and shuts down every feeling I have for this game.

- LET ME DRIVE MY CAR!! This really drives me crazy. I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DRIVE TILL THE END OF THE FORMATION LAP TO MY PLACE IN THE GRID, IN THE PIT AND AFTER A CRASH. Let us park the car after a failure or drive it to the pits, IT IS SO HARD?! That’s the main cause of my frustration, I really can’t stand it and I can’t believe I’m the only one who thinks this. Too hard for casual gamers? Toggle button!

- REMOVE THAT ARCADEISH SLOWMO AFTER A TERMINAL DAMAGE, IT IS A JOKE

- Very rigid physics in general. Cars seems VERY heavy, I mean too heavy

- AI behaves weird, like they are glued to the ground, if you hit them they don’t spin but if they touch you, it’s DNF for shure. Most of peoples says F1 it’s not wreckfest but AI cars are a 300 Km/h war tanks 

- AI does not care about where you are / breaktests you sometimes

- I have NEVER witness a first corner accident / yellow flag / safety car ecc, and I’ve been playing A LOT. Very disappointing. I don’t want a carnage, just a minimum of unpredictability, the game now seems scripted, I know AI will never DNF in the first lap of the race

- Safety Car bugs, in 2020 there’s the same bug of the previous years, it is not coming out. Some virtual SF every now and then.

- Safety car line bugs, like other drivers sometimes overtake you even if you are right back of the car in front, you just ghost and the driver behind pass through you, boom, position lost

- Incredibile load game bug: sometimes when I resume a session loading in the middle of the race the car has no power, barely full revving in 7th gear. Very strange

- Corner cuts. Seriously?! It’s all or nothing, cutting easily most of the turns or getting penalized for touching the Kerb with a tyre. Too inconsistent

- Damage physics inexplicably terrible, there are too many things to say about this. Just a disaster IMO. Rear and sides of the car are unbreakable AND DON’T TELL ME IT’S ABOUT FOM AND SPONSORS, I don’t want cars to be on fire/totaled, JUST A MINIMUM aesthetic damages. Another ugly thing, little contacts brake the suspensions but sometimes big crashes don’t. What amazes me most is that reviewers / users almost never mention this topic. Let’s remove players falls in FIFA at this point! Unbelievable and unacceptable 

- I have never drove an F1 car but I’m dubious about the lack of traction of these cars, I mean, without traction control I can easily spin in 5th gear in the last Mexico corner, that’s weird

- Just a word: multiplayer.

- Scripted race dynamics

- boring out of the track contexts, interviews are dull, your race engineer is very repetitive.

- lack of lap time reference / deltas. Little feature but game changer IMO, would be cool to have time targets for the compound you have or target to react to undercuts etc

- During races I feel alone, I don’t know what is happening in the race, I can’t develop a good strategy. Where’s the strategist?!

I know it’s a long outburst and maybe no one will read it but I really had to write this down before selling the game. I just hope new gen will change codies vision of the franchise because IT HAS AN HUGE UNEXPLOITED POTENTIAL!!! 
Let’s save this game guys PLEASE! 

Totally agreed. Been buying since F1 2010, and while it’s nice, there’s a huge feeling that there’s there’s so much untapped potential. I can only hope that Formula 1 open the licensing up so there’s no exclusivity. Competition would get things moving in leaps and bounds.

Edited by pinmanf1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Well I guess I’m not the only one who feels like this about the F1 games. 

“HUGE UNEXPLOITED POTENTIAL“ indeed. Especially as the new features from the last two years center around getting as much microtransactions in the game as possible.

I’d also like to see another studio take over the F1 mantle, just look at what Milestone has done with MotoGP 20. Everything about that game gives you the feeling it was made by people who are passionate about motorsport. Unpredictable races, great ai, good looking graphics, classic bikes, classic tracks, classic riders, full livery editor!

I love F1 as a sport more, but I feel MotoGP 20 is the better racing game this year. 

The same goes for WRC 9, extra tracks, some from the previous season, free and paid dlc.. no microtransactions, ugly liveries or stupid dancing drivers.

I seriously question Codemasters passion for the sport, I get the feeling they’re just trying to maximize their profits with a yearly low effort slightly updated copy of last years game.

And another thing.. they should change the career mechanics. I have to keep my employees happy by saying nice things about them in the media?.. and if I don’t, they sabotage my upgrades 🙄 what are they.. 12? Shouldn’t they be happy they have a job in the top tier of motorsport!? And shouldn’t they just get fired for insubordination? 

And seriously.. 81 pages in the gameplay issues and bugs section. And 27 pages of suggestions. How are they getting away with this?... I mean, seriously.. how?

My prediction for F1 2021: more of the same, with a shallow new mode and way more intrusive microtransactions. 

I’m stepping away from the series for now. Unfortunately F1 2020 has me severely disappointed. Although there is some fun to be had, the points mentioned above killed it for me.

Sorry for venting, but this game is just such an insult for long time (adult) fans of the sport. 

Take care, stay healthy. 

Edited by StanleyGoodspeed
Added more info
  • Agree 3

The only reason the bug reporting section’s so much longer than that for suggestions, especially early on, Is multiple people creating topics about issues that should’ve been in the same topic, whether the same issue or extremely similar issues.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just give us VR, I can overlook some of the other rough edges if I can be IN the car.

To be honest codies has had this "feature" since TOCA 1, good driving but some times its just so stale and sterile.

let them learn to do a normal game, otherwise every year new bugs + bugs from past games ... SHAME.

Edited by MilligramSmile

On 8/25/2020 at 1:45 AM, MrHawk said:

Hi guys, I’ll go straight to the point with this probably useless topic.

I’ve been playing F1 for 8 years and I am thinking about giving up with the franchise.

”ok who cares, stop bothering us, we are enjoying the game”.

The game is in fact enjoyable, I have to say it’s challenging, has great graphics and it has the official license so most of the users (casual players mostly) will be happy with it, but there’s a thing I want you to think about:

this game is utterly shallow, dull and lifeless.

Why? Because in general, it has no “mojo”, it’s not “dynamic” and “alive”. Randomness, unexpected things and human aspects of racing are completely missing.

I know it must be hard to put life in a game with complex mechanics like a racing one but I think it should be one of the main missions for a developer.
That’s why I’m giving up with it, it is just the same thing repeating every damn time, in every mode, in every track, zero new scenarios, zero entertainment besides the race itself.
Please think about it, F1 fans like it because of passion and the race dynamics: I DON’T WANT A SIM and I am not hatin, I just want to enjoy a good licensed game that translate well the vibes from the track to the pc / consoles.
I would like to give you some examples of things that really destroy the good racing vibes and shuts down every feeling I have for this game.

- LET ME DRIVE MY CAR!! This really drives me crazy. I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DRIVE TILL THE END OF THE FORMATION LAP TO MY PLACE IN THE GRID, IN THE PIT AND AFTER A CRASH. Let us park the car after a failure or drive it to the pits, IT IS SO HARD?! That’s the main cause of my frustration, I really can’t stand it and I can’t believe I’m the only one who thinks this. Too hard for casual gamers? Toggle button!

- REMOVE THAT ARCADEISH SLOWMO AFTER A TERMINAL DAMAGE, IT IS A JOKE

- Very rigid physics in general. Cars seems VERY heavy, I mean too heavy

- AI behaves weird, like they are glued to the ground, if you hit them they don’t spin but if they touch you, it’s DNF for shure. Most of peoples says F1 it’s not wreckfest but AI cars are a 300 Km/h war tanks 

- AI does not care about where you are / breaktests you sometimes

- I have NEVER witness a first corner accident / yellow flag / safety car ecc, and I’ve been playing A LOT. Very disappointing. I don’t want a carnage, just a minimum of unpredictability, the game now seems scripted, I know AI will never DNF in the first lap of the race

- Safety Car bugs, in 2020 there’s the same bug of the previous years, it is not coming out. Some virtual SF every now and then.

- Safety car line bugs, like other drivers sometimes overtake you even if you are right back of the car in front, you just ghost and the driver behind pass through you, boom, position lost

- Incredibile load game bug: sometimes when I resume a session loading in the middle of the race the car has no power, barely full revving in 7th gear. Very strange

- Corner cuts. Seriously?! It’s all or nothing, cutting easily most of the turns or getting penalized for touching the Kerb with a tyre. Too inconsistent

- Damage physics inexplicably terrible, there are too many things to say about this. Just a disaster IMO. Rear and sides of the car are unbreakable AND DON’T TELL ME IT’S ABOUT FOM AND SPONSORS, I don’t want cars to be on fire/totaled, JUST A MINIMUM aesthetic damages. Another ugly thing, little contacts brake the suspensions but sometimes big crashes don’t. What amazes me most is that reviewers / users almost never mention this topic. Let’s remove players falls in FIFA at this point! Unbelievable and unacceptable 

- I have never drove an F1 car but I’m dubious about the lack of traction of these cars, I mean, without traction control I can easily spin in 5th gear in the last Mexico corner, that’s weird

- Just a word: multiplayer.

- Scripted race dynamics

- boring out of the track contexts, interviews are dull, your race engineer is very repetitive.

- lack of lap time reference / deltas. Little feature but game changer IMO, would be cool to have time targets for the compound you have or target to react to undercuts etc

- During races I feel alone, I don’t know what is happening in the race, I can’t develop a good strategy. Where’s the strategist?!

I know it’s a long outburst and maybe no one will read it but I really had to write this down before selling the game. I just hope new gen will change codies vision of the franchise because IT HAS AN HUGE UNEXPLOITED POTENTIAL!!! 
Let’s save this game guys PLEASE! 

In same boat m8 been playing the F1 game since 2010 . F1 used to be the only reason I own a computer . . But like everything you said I'm bored with it . Career just feels full and repitive . Since 2018 I haven't completed a full career . Only half way threw 2nd season in my team and bored with it already . Everything just feels the same every year . The is no self satisfaction in the game . You get your first podium first win and the is no acknowledge of it in game which is a big thing for a driver . You win your first title and not an mention of it in game  . The games got the potential but the developers haven't got the vision . I'd be surprised if I buy next year's game . And bought every title on releases which is the only game I have bought on release career just sucks . There days I find more fun replaying rdr2 than playing the F1 game and I've completed rdr2 a few times now  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Had a league race on Sunday in Austria. I was struggling in the first three races in the calender (customized) and was looking for points. The race was progessing nicely (P3) until I went to the pit. The pit exit in Austria is fast so I was on full throttle but all of a sudden the car was automatically downshiftig to first gear and breaking heavily. The result was wheelspin and a destroyed nose. My race was completely destroyed. In the replay I saw a broken down car standing on the opposite side of the track and yellow flags. Still, this sucked big time and it wasn't funny. 

• Agree 1