Co-driver feedback

Posted (edited)

This co driver needs to be completely deleted and you need to start all over again with someone who knows how to do the job, thats the only way and its taking too long. Im not saying it needs to be perfect but at least acceptable to make rally events playable without knowing the track, wich is all the fun of rallying. I dont know who works on the calls but since dirt 4 it has been a complete disaster and who ever he is he's not qualified to work on the best racing game company that you are. The rest of the game and the other cm games are the excellence but this co driver calls kill dr2.0. The co driver is the most important thing on a rally game and this guy doesnt even know the difference between "tightens long", "long tightens" not even knows the meaning of "over crest" and keeps calling things completely different from what happens on the track. I dont know why are you releasing dirt 5, I've got this game resting on the corner of my room still waiting for you to do something about this nonsence fail on the game. This is not just me I made a thread called "please review the co driver on dirt rally 2.0" and it seems to be general consensus, theres a lot of information from me and other players about things that are wrong and someone made a thread withe videos correcting the calls. But almost nothing done from cm.

Edited by Protomorph
Grammar error

This is very one-sided. I have yesterday driven a weekly event with the H3 ( I really like to go with H-shifter and manual clutch) and I was driving completely after the co-driver. Because it was Finnland there is no other way as we have overall these fog hiding the corners :classic_rolleyes:. For me they are all more or less good and you can hear that there were some changes to the first release. I like Phil Mills and I'm being able to draw the next corners in my inner eye to get the breaking and cornering right (at least most times).

Maybe there are big differences in languages and I use only Phil Mills which I like.

Edited by Peter Mathen

4 hours ago, Peter Mathen said:

This is very one-sided. I have yesterday driven a weekly event with the H3 ( I really like to go with H-shifter and manual clutch) and I was driving completely after the co-driver. Because it was Finnland there is no other way as we have overall these fog hiding the corners :classic_rolleyes:. For me they are all more or less good and you can hear that there were some changes to the first release. I like Phil Mills and I'm being able to draw the next corners in my inner eye to get the breaking and cornering right (at least most times).

Maybe there are big differences in languages and I use only Phil Mills which I like.

I dont know about finland because I wont buy any tracks unless they change the co driver. I play on english and on the base tracks ( the ones you have with the game) the co driver is completely off. From what I see the majority of the people in this forum agrees... I know its impossible to make a co driver perfect for everyone with every car class but THERE ARE RULES that you learn when taking rally license, basic things that are not respected. "Tightens long" is completly different from "long tightens" among a lot of other things that there are at least 2 threads trying to help cm dealing with this issue, one is mine another is from other player. Even theres a call somewhere that he says "keep right over long crest tightens". HOW ON EARTH IS THAT POSSIBLE? Keep right is just keep right doesnt tighten or open because its suposed not to be a turn!!!

Still think the use of 'caution' is inadequate, there needs to be a few more of these over various rallies. Like the one in New Zealand where it does not take into account you are coming from a straight and the 3 left will send you flying off a hill if you don't slow right down.

Otherwise I find it mostly OK, a few turns are perhaps 3s instead of 4s for example but these are the exceptions for me.

wow you definitely know how to over exagerrate about minor issues.

I only drive on co driver calls (audio) nothing visual on screen. and i can name 3 maybe 4 small errors in the whole game including all DLC (on PS4). i get top 10 times on alot of stages. Next to that a bit of logical thinking would say its definitely not gonna change anymore 1.5 years after release. Just deal with it and enjoy, its by far the best rally game out there. 

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, thatDutchguy83 said:

wow you definitely know how to over exagerrate about minor issues.

I only drive on co driver calls (audio) nothing visual on screen. and i can name 3 maybe 4 small errors in the whole game including all DLC (on PS4). i get top 10 times on alot of stages. Next to that a bit of logical thinking would say its definitely not gonna change anymore 1.5 years after release. Just deal with it and enjoy, its by far the best rally game out there. 

Yes im with you on that there s no better rally game I say more dont know about other better racing games like those from cm thats for sure. But the co driver has too many errors through almost every stage not just 4, 6s that are tighter than 5s, he calls keep right or left when theres a turn instead and doesnt distinguish long tightens from tightens long, that s for sure and many people agrees on the forum, just check my thread "please review the co driver on dirt rally 2.0" and see how many players are having trouble navigating with him, one guy even created a thread just for people to show the devs a lot of errors,  a lot of things that havent been touched. And I dont think thats a minor issue on a rally game. And I also drive codriver audio, no osd. Just sayin dont get me wrong I still love the game for rallycross its amazing, very well done, its just the co driver that doesnt work for me.

Edited by Protomorph
Forgot to mention one thing

4 hours ago, Protomorph said:

Yes im with you on that there s no better rally game I say more dont know about other better racing games like those from cm thats for sure. But the co driver has too many errors through almost every stage not just 4, 6s that are tighter than 5s, he calls keep right or left when theres a turn instead and doesnt distinguish long tightens from tightens long, that s for sure and many people agrees on the forum, just check my thread "please review the co driver on dirt rally 2.0" and see how many players are having trouble navigating with him, one guy even created a thread just for people to show the devs a lot of errors,  a lot of things that havent been touched. And I dont think thats a minor issue on a rally game. And I also drive codriver audio, no osd. Just sayin dont get me wrong I still love the game for rallycross its amazing, very well done, its just the co driver that doesnt work for me.

See what I mean? I recordered this while playing. There s a turn over the jump and the crest after the "4 left opens 6". That should be called "4 left opens 6, into a 6 right over jump tightens over crest". Because while jumping you must have your car facing to the right to follow the road. If just keep right over jump and keep right over crest like he calls there s the wall.

Edited by Protomorph

Ehm... he says keep right over jump, and you veer out to the left on the jump and don't even turn in to the next corner in time. Sorry mate, that one's on you.

There are a few places where the calls are too late, and a few where the grading is a bit off, but if you think that's an example of a bad call then I think it's more down to your driving.

• Agree 2

There may be a few sections that could do with improved calls...

... but Codies should get major accolades for the sheer quality of Phil Mill's recording overall. The way it's different in urgency at different speeds, and blends between both so seamlessly.

Never in all my long career of playing rally games and being really bad at them, did I think the co-driver could be a source of such gaming enjoyment. Mill's voice is exquisite, and the DR team delivered it beautifully!

Even his post-race comments are hilarious in their wooden-ness, but still great to hear because of his voice.

Would be great to hear more incidental phrases from him in the next game, from compliments all the way to 'you're breaking the car'.

• Agree 2

On 9/5/2020 at 10:10 AM, Dytut said:

Ehm... he says keep right over jump, and you veer out to the left on the jump and don't even turn in to the next corner in time. Sorry mate, that one's on you.

There are a few places where the calls are too late, and a few where the grading is a bit off, but if you think that's an example of a bad call then I think it's more down to your 

First, I didnt veer to the left on the jump. The car is straight and on the right side of the road facing forward at takeoff. Thats how a keep right should be. At least thats what they told me at the racing school and every time I race with a co driver thats the rule. Second, you say I didnt turn for the corner in time. What corner? The co driver didnt call any! He just says keep right over jump and keep right over crest. Even if he did, the car is on the air. There is indeed yes and thats what im saying, that turn you are seeing, he doesnt call it. Thats not my fault on this one, its wrong co driver call no question on that. when I crash and it is on me, I know that and I dont come here saying the game is wrong just becauae I had an accident, but this one is a really bad call at least for a relatively fast driver. At least he could call the jump slow and then call the turn over the crest it should work but not just keep right.

Edited by Protomorph

Well I have to agree that the co-driver notes are really bad after all. Please think of adapting this in the next (last?!) patch!

1) The german lady is giving way to much Information instead of short and noticable notes. Especially on tracks with much corners as Argentina, Spain or Wales. There are also much corners which are called wrog. I.e. a 1 which is a 2 or 3, and sometimes a 3 which is a 2 or 1..

2) The notes are much much to late even if you want the notes to be called as early as possible!! So you can't drive without knowing any corner and track without crashing, cause you are so much to fast to brake for some corners. Pleeeease fix this! Perhaps you can manage to get all the notes a bit earlier, or expand the slider in the menu to enable an even earlier note.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Edited by S14Mii

On 9/15/2020 at 9:52 AM, S14Mii said:

Well I have to agree that the co-driver notes are really bad after all. Please think of adapting this in the next (last?!) patch!

1) The german lady is giving way to much Information instead of short and noticable notes. Especially on tracks with much corners as Argentina, Spain or Wales. There are also much corners which are called wrog. I.e. a 1 which is a 2 or 3, and sometimes a 3 which is a 2 or 1..

2) The notes are much much to late even if you want the notes to be called as early as possible!! So you can't drive without knowing any corner and track without crashing, cause you are so much to fast to brake for some corners. Pleeeease fix this! Perhaps you can manage to get all the notes a bit earlier, or expand the slider in the menu to enable an even earlier note.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Yes I dont expect the wrong calls to be fixed in dr2.0 but at least on d5 or, I hope there will be dr3, they give the co driver the attention it needs for a rally game. But the late calls although I dont understand nothing from coding, i think it shouldnt be much of a problem to fix.

On 9/6/2020 at 1:30 PM, Jake Cushing said:

... but Codies should get major accolades for the sheer quality of Phil Mill's recording overall. The way it's different in urgency at different speeds, and blends between both so seamlessly.

Never in all my long career of playing rally games and being really bad at them, did I think the co-driver could be a source of such gaming enjoyment. Mill's voice is exquisite, and the DR team delivered it beautifully!

This is my favourite thing about the co-driver as well, the way he speaks faster, coughs, gets thrown about like he was in a real car when recording.

It's something that stands out when I watch other rally games (including older DiRT titles).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, PJTierney said:

This is my favourite thing about the co-driver as well, the way he speaks faster, coughs, gets thrown about like he was in a real car when recording.

It's something that stands out when I watch other rally games (including older DiRT titles).

Hehehe, hillarious! 😁

I wander what OP thinks about the co-driver calls in WRC8 and WRC9? 😁 In this department, Codemasters are waaay ahead. Phil Mills is my all time favourite co-driver, and he is very welcome in the next installment as well. 👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by Kjell007
  • Agree 1