Jump to content Jump to content

Fanatec Formula V2 - Custom button mapping PC

JimmFandango

Hey, I'm upgrading my wheel from a G29 to Fanatec's Clubsport Formula V2 rim (+CSL base/pedals LC) and I'm wondering how you've assigned your rim's buttons? Searching Google has been a pain since most posts are regarding the lack of reassignment ability on the PS4 & XBOX. I'm on PC and from what I've read, there's no real issues with custom mapping buttons. I've got a pretty good idea what buttons are going to operate the different functions, but I'm curious what everyone else has done.

The obvious features that I'd like to have just a thumb's reach away: DRS > ERS+ > ERS- > Overtake > Fuel Mix+ > Fuel Mix- > Diff+ > Diff- > Brake Bal+ > Brake Bal-> Radio > Pit Limiter > Look Back > Clutch > Reverse

Any other suggestions for button assignments are welcome.

Also, in the control scheme options menu, what are the "Extra Action 1" & "Extra Action 2" button assignments for? 

V2 Buttons.jpg

I have this wheel and it's amazing. I added the APM (Advanced Paddle Module) to mine which I love and it adds two extra inputs which I use for DRS (left upper paddle) and ERS (right upper paddle). If I have one gripe with this wheel it's that some of the buttons/switches are harder to reach without removing a hand from the wheel, so I try to keep the more important functions close to my thumbs. There's actually not that many "super important" functions in F1 2020, so this is pretty easy to do. 

Anyways, if I didn't have the APM, this is how I would lay out my wheel:

1. DRS
  2. Pit Setup Panel (MFD Shortcut)
    • I just use this so I can quickly check what tire compound I'm using for the next stint so I don't have to cycle through the whole MFD Menu
  3. Brake Bias Decrease
  4. Differential Increase/Decrease
    • I've started using this a lot more recently in order to find an extra few tenths each lap, which is why I've assigned it to an encoder
  5. Fuel Mix Increase/Decrease
  6. Brake Bias Increase
  7. Radio / Voice Commands
  8. Pit-Limiter
  9. (The switches are difficult to reach without taking my hand off the wheel so I don't use them)
  10. Upshift
  11. (This is a 7-way FunkySwitch, so you get quite a lot of options at the tip of your thumb)
    • D-PAD: MFD Navigation (Up, Down, Left, Right)
    • Press: Clutch
    • Rotate **** Left/Right: ERS Increase/Decrease
  12. ERS
  13. (You could theoretically use this for Fuel Mix if you set your wheel to ENC mode (Tuning Menu Option), but I don't use the rotary dials for F1 2020)
  14. Clutch 
    • I know this is a bit outside of the "thumb's reach away" parameter, but depending on how much you use the clutch you could always switch it with the Pit Setup Panel (Button #2)
  15. Pause
  16. Reverse 
    • Again, I know this button isn't really "a thumb's reach away" but in my experience whenever I find myself having to reverse I can afford to take one hand off the wheel for a second to press the reverse button
  17. (I don't use the rotary dials for F1 2020)
  18. MFD
  19. (Joystick)
    • Joystick Down: Look Back
    • Joystick Left/Right: Look Left/Look Right
    • Press: Car Damage Panel (MFD Shortcut) 
  20. Downshift
  21. (The switches are difficult to reach so I don't use them)

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. I'd be happy to link a screenshot of my button mapping if you would like!

This may be out of scope but I’m on PS4.

Can someone tell me which button numbers are NOT functioning on PS4 on this rim?
Is the APM compatible with the PS4?
I don’t want spent money on something that would useless and I didn’t find a complete info on Internet.

Thanks for your help.

14 hours ago, RS Phil said:

This may be out of scope but I’m on PS4.

Can someone tell me which button numbers are NOT functioning on PS4 on this rim?
Is the APM compatible with the PS4?
I don’t want spent money on something that would useless and I didn’t find a complete info on Internet.

Thanks for your help.

If you go to the Formula V2 wheel on Fanatec's website, under the Downloads section they have a link to the QuickGuide which has a section detailing button mapping/functionality across different platforms. I've also attached a screenshot of the button mapping chart to this post. I don't own a PS4, so I'm not sure what the "Game Specific Buttons" do or if they even function with the PS4, but assuming they don't, these are the buttons/functions you would lose:

1. Left/Right Rotation of FunkySwitch (button 11 in original post)
  2. Left/Right Thumb Encoders (buttons 4 & 5 in original post)
  3. Left/Right Rotary Dials (buttons 13 & 17 in original post)
  4. Left/Right Rocker Switches (buttons 9 & 21 in original post)

I used this wheel on an XBOX One prior to making the switch over to PC and one of the things I noticed was that some of the buttons were redundant. Essentially, I would have buttons on the wheel that served the same purposes as the accelerator, clutch, brake pedal, and both paddle shifters. I don't think this will be a problem on the PS4 but you might want to do some research about PS4's peripheral button mapping.

As far as the APM goes, Fanatec's website says it's compatible with the PS4, but they also say it's compatible with the XBOX One even though the traditional paddle shifters are the only functions that work. Again, not sure how this translates to PS4, but you could probably find someone on Reddit who's posted something about this. I would personally go for the new Magnetic Paddle Module as the paddles are actually higher quality than the APM and cost way less. The hand clutch on the APM is cool at first but I only use it for race starts; the advertised "Dual Clutch" and "Bite Point" are also not supported by Codemasters. It's basically a glorified clutch pedal. 

1455727887_ScreenShot2020-08-29at12_36_36PM.thumb.png.a53a7fc764ddfbee00e3c8b0919080b0.png

18 hours ago, hanktwich said:

I have this wheel and it's amazing. I added the APM (Advanced Paddle Module) to mine which I love and it adds two extra inputs which I use for DRS (left upper paddle) and ERS (right upper paddle). If I have one gripe with this wheel it's that some of the buttons/switches are harder to reach without removing a hand from the wheel, so I try to keep the more important functions close to my thumbs. There's actually not that many "super important" functions in F1 2020, so this is pretty easy to do. 

Anyways, if I didn't have the APM, this is how I would lay out my wheel:

1. DRS
  2. Pit Setup Panel (MFD Shortcut)
    • I just use this so I can quickly check what tire compound I'm using for the next stint so I don't have to cycle through the whole MFD Menu
  3. Brake Bias Decrease
  4. Differential Increase/Decrease
    • I've started using this a lot more recently in order to find an extra few tenths each lap, which is why I've assigned it to an encoder
  5. Fuel Mix Increase/Decrease
  6. Brake Bias Increase
  7. Radio / Voice Commands
  8. Pit-Limiter
  9. (The switches are difficult to reach without taking my hand off the wheel so I don't use them)
  10. Upshift
  11. (This is a 7-way FunkySwitch, so you get quite a lot of options at the tip of your thumb)
    • D-PAD: MFD Navigation (Up, Down, Left, Right)
    • Press: Clutch
    • Rotate **** Left/Right: ERS Increase/Decrease
  12. ERS
  13. (You could theoretically use this for Fuel Mix if you set your wheel to ENC mode (Tuning Menu Option), but I don't use the rotary dials for F1 2020)
  14. Clutch 
    • I know this is a bit outside of the "thumb's reach away" parameter, but depending on how much you use the clutch you could always switch it with the Pit Setup Panel (Button #2)
  15. Pause
  16. Reverse 
    • Again, I know this button isn't really "a thumb's reach away" but in my experience whenever I find myself having to reverse I can afford to take one hand off the wheel for a second to press the reverse button
  17. (I don't use the rotary dials for F1 2020)
  18. MFD
  19. (Joystick)
    • Joystick Down: Look Back
    • Joystick Left/Right: Look Left/Look Right
    • Press: Car Damage Panel (MFD Shortcut) 
  20. Downshift
  21. (The switches are difficult to reach so I don't use them)

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. I'd be happy to link a screenshot of my button mapping if you would like!

Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to it stopping. I'll try out some of those assignments

4 minutes ago, JimmFandango said:

Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to it stopping. I'll try out some of those assignments

No problem. Honestly, the sheer number of buttons makes it pretty overwhelming when it comes to trying to figure out a good control scheme. I actually made a spreadsheet with all of the possible uses for buttons in F1 2020 and sketched out a setup. It definitely takes some fine-tuning to get everything to your liking, but once you get comfortable you'll love the wheel. 

• 2 months later...

Hi, as no one has actually advised on the extra action buttons..... i`ll give my thoughts as i have not found an answer myself, in real f1 Lando Noris has 2 switches on his wheel for balance presets that can be used on the fly....basically a macro switch that can be set with a different brake balance/engine/fuel map setting that could be used for particular corners of a track,  although i may be completely wrong...it may be an option that has no been fully implemented, tbh the f1 2020 seems to be aimed at console ports given the lack of options that are actually available to pc owners.

Archived