Dad settings

Can someone direct me to best instructions on all settings to make the F1 2019 game (PS4) easier for a brand-new user?

I'm new to gaming and to motor-sports in general. I'm fairly tech-savvy, but I am finding the default settings to be too unwieldy to be any fun. In essence, I'm almost immediately at the back of the pack and I'm constantly crashing. I'm looking for the kinds of dad settings they have in Fifa to auto-correct and simplify the game so it's still fun for a complete beginner.

I have a PS4 and a Thrustmaster T150 and I just want to play against the machine, no particular interest in matching my non-existent skills against the outside world.

Perhaps there is an existing thread that covers this? A youtube instruction video?

At the moment I am finding the game's difficulty is a barrier to entry. I am not interested in devoting the hours needed to achieve mastery. I want to dumb down the game as much as possible and fly around the tracks without crashing.

Is that possible, or does this game just not provide these kinds of guard-rails and cheats and helps to make it fun for a new guy like me?

Humbly seeking help.

Posted (edited)

In F1 2019, I'm not sure there's a lot you can do other than turn on all the assists, and turn the AI level down to its lowest setting. (Which I think is what the "Beginner" setting does anyway.)  But if you can tell us more about why you think you're crashing, maybe we can suggest which assists to turn off again -- especially with a wheel and pedals, it's possible some of them (e.g. auto braking) are actually hindering you more than helping.

Also experiment with different camera views -- T-cam is generally the easiest for most people, so if you're not using that, give it a try. The exterior cameras are usually best avoided with a wheel, but you never know.... they might just work for you.

There are a few guides around for beginners that might help, e.g.: https://realsport101.com/racing/f1/f1-2019-beginners-guide-how-to-assists-career-mode-overtaking-ers-drs-sertup/

In F1 2020, they added a new "casual mode" that's probably exactly what you're looking for, so if you're really struggling you might want to give up on 2019 and see if you can find a cheap copy of 2020...

Edited by scottishwildcat

I'm playing F1 2019 on (grand) dad settings. Well, I say granddad settings but I have braking assist set to off cos it just messes up my already limited driving skills. If nothing else I would like to implement the brakes as and when I want them rather than the game deciding it for me. Add some traction control and anti brake lock.......AI difficulty to 1 (yes........one) and I'm still struggling. Can't qualify better than 10th place and don't usually finish in the top 10 of career races.

I have however managed to post times on TT on all circuits that gets me on the leaderboards. Albeit in the nine thousand position areas. Yeah.....the game is tough.......bitter sweet even.......I haven't improved much in the 4 months that I've had the game. Maybe I need to be playing it more than my usual 2 hours a day.