F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Is My Team too easy?

Is the My Team mode too easy?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Is the My Team mode too easy? Do you progress from back marker to front runner too quickly?

• Yes, I moved too quickly from a back-marker to race winner.
    • No, I'm still a back-marker/midfield runner well into my second season or further.
    • Neither, I was expecting the progression to take less than 1.5 to 2 seasons.

In the end I really don't think My Team is geared towards the best drivers. It's a game mode that's more geared towards the new or intermediate players. For those of us that are good enough to get to the top quickly there's always league racing instead.

Though, I'd love to do league racing but can't since most of the leagues are at times when I'm at work so I try to do as much ranked or unranked as possible. I kind of use My Team as practise instead.

5 minutes ago, Lakrits said:

In the end I really don't think My Team is geared towards the best drivers. It's a game mode that's more geared towards the new or intermediate players. For those of us that are good enough to get to the top quickly there's always league racing instead.

Though, I'd love to do league racing but can't since most of the leagues are at times when I'm at work so I try to do as much ranked or unranked as possible. I kind of use My Team as practise instead.

I kind of have to disagree. I like league racing, but haven’t done it recently due to timings and other commitments as well. I am looking to change this and get back into it however. Also general multiplayer is a mess so I’ve avoided that like the plague, if I want to do one-off online races I generally go to AC/ACC/PC2. So offline is how I mainly play F1, and mostly it’s for the structure and narrative, so I  disagree that it’s geared towards new players. There are some corners cut to simplify and appeal to them, yes. But I think it should be applicable to both new and existing players of all abilities. I also don’t think it’s much different than normal career mode in terms of the issues I have, I think the R&D progression in general across both modes is fundamentally flawed. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, marioho said:

It makes no sense to bump the AI just to make practice programmes harder

Would it be making them 'harder' or making them as the game designers intended though? I'm not really sure how we can know?

Edited by Ultra3142

10 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Would it be making them 'harder' or making them as the game designers intended though? I'm not really sure how we can know?

Sorry, can you clarify? I don't follow.

What I was commenting on was the user suggesting to bump the AI difficulty setting to have more of a hard time. That's bonkers. The AI needs to be set regarding their pace on the track. Once you find your AI level (i.e. you can qualify accordingly to your car performance on the grid) people should be all "ok but now it's practice and I'm earning way too many points so I'll raise the AI level for FP 1 to 3 and get back to normal on Quali".

If you have the AI set correctly the game should keep up with you on all these other aspects of R&D and AI performance on the charts.

7 minutes ago, marioho said:

What I was commenting on was the user suggesting to bump the AI difficulty setting to have more of a hard time. That's bonkers. The AI needs to be set regarding their pace on the track. Once you find your AI level (i.e. you can qualify accordingly to your car performance on the grid) people should be all "ok but now it's practice and I'm earning way too many points so I'll raise the AI level for FP 1 to 3 and get back to normal on Quali".

If you have the AI set correctly the game should keep up with you on all these other aspects of R&D and AI performance on the charts.

How are you judging the AI level in races in My Team mode though? How does anyone know where they 'should' be?

23 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

How are you judging the AI level in races in My Team mode though? How does anyone know where they 'should' be?

Mate, you're quite philosophical today.

You set it the same you would on any other mode. The AI performance does not change between game modes. A car with performance rate of 800 (like you see on the charts on career modes but are still true to any other game mode, just not visible) will perform the same on a given level and a given track, regardless of it being Grand Prix or My Team.

You're aware of the methods to assess your correct AI level, I am sure. The teammate parameter is not as relevant anymore on My Team if you get a F2 driver on the second seat, but there are always to circumvent that. Like comparing your laptimes to a close rival on the performance charts.

That said, this has nothing to do with what I was talking about. 

33 minutes ago, marioho said:

Mate, you're quite philosophical today.

:classic_smile: Just dipping in and out of discussions in between doing various jobs round the house. My PS4 now has a wired rather than wifi internet connection for example, as I've finally got round to drilling a hole through the wall for an ethernet cable. 

33 minutes ago, marioho said:

You set it the same you would on any other mode. The AI performance does not change between game modes. A car with performance rate of 800 (like you see on the charts on career modes but are still true to any other game mode, just not visible) will perform the same on a given level and a given track, regardless of it being Grand Prix or My Team.

You're aware of the methods to assess your correct AI level, I am sure. The teammate parameter is not as relevant anymore on My Team if you get a F2 driver on the second seat, but there are always to circumvent that. Like comparing your laptimes to a close rival on the performance charts.

That said, this has nothing to do with what I was talking about. 

Where I'm at is this. I think there are two very different things being discussed in this thread. How fast/easy it is to get to a point where your car becomes consistently overpowered, and what happens when you're there. I'm struggling with a bit is why AI level is being seemingly dismissed as being relevant for the former, whilst absolutely agreeing that once you're there it clearly sounds like there is an issue.

What I've seen posted about setting an AI level (like PJTierney's video) tends to come down to finding a setting where you match the times of an AI driver in the same car, right? This is complicated by a number of factors:

1. Whether qualifying or races are used.
  2. Which track or tracks are used.
  3. The car used (you may be better able to cope with some than others).
  4. That most of us will get better over time.

The point being that picking an AI level is a very inexact thing, particularly when carried over to My Team given the very different cars and possibly driver performance*. To me at least there seems plenty of scope to end up with an AI level on the lower side of what might make My Team a better challenge. Plus of course some people end up adjusting AI level based on things like their ability to complete practice session objectives in My Team.

*A subject for another thread but just musing if a a particular driver performs the same in My Team as they do in GP mode, given the more detailed driver stat system in My Team.

3 hours ago, joetoml1n said:

I do not race on 70% difficulty. I'm currently 105%, with constant push to get it higher. As I said in the initial post, I expect someone who is at 70% level to experience similar results. That is because the amount of resource points do not scale with difficulty. If your level is 70% and you have to work for your goals/practice programs/accurate race results, then thats no different to me racing on 105% and doing the same, or in fact someone racing on 110% - the resource points would be the same.

Yeah I only race that low because, well... I'm half blind. Can't see at all at my focal point (what I look directly at) and so have to see with my peripheral vision. Even that is out of focus and distance. FOr example to read text here it is blown up to 450% using magnifier tool. Add in I have to use controller rather than wheel and 70% isn't too shabby I think. My point though was that at 70% I find it is very track specific at times. Like on one track I'll be within tenths of my teammate, but on another I'll stuff them by a second or more.

It's for sure not all the games fault though, as track difference could just be I find one track easier to drive for a few reasons etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, halfblindgamer said:

Yeah I only race that low because, well... I'm half blind. Can't see at all at my focal point (what I look directly at) and so have to see with my peripheral vision. Even that is out of focus and distance. FOr example to read text here it is blown up to 450% using magnifier tool. Add in I have to use controller rather than wheel and 70% isn't too shabby I think. My point though was that at 70% I find it is very track specific at times. Like on one track I'll be within tenths of my teammate, but on another I'll stuff them by a second or more.

It's for sure not all the games fault though, as track difference could just be I find one track easier to drive for a few reasons etc.

Well that’s pretty inspirational in it’s self! And sorry, just to be clear, my post wasn’t a “dig” or anything like that about the AI level when racing. Everyone can race at their own level and that was kind of my point, AI speed doesn’t effect the resource points received. 
Keep up the good work though, happy racing 🙂

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

Where I'm at is this. I think there are two very different things being discussed in this thread. How fast/easy it is to get to a point where your car becomes consistently overpowered, and what happens when you're there. I'm struggling with a bit is why AI level is being seemingly dismissed as being relevant for the former, whilst absolutely agreeing that once you're there it clearly sounds like there is an issue.

What I've seen posted about setting an AI level (like PJTierney's video) tends to come down to finding a setting where you match the times of an AI driver in the same car, right? This is complicated by a number of factors:

1. Whether qualifying or races are used.
  2. Which track or tracks are used.
  3. The car used (you may be better able to cope with some than others).
  4. That most of us will get better over time.

The point being that picking an AI level is a very inexact thing, particularly when carried over to My Team given the very different cars and possibly driver performance*. To me at least there seems plenty of scope to end up with an AI level on the lower side of what might make My Team a better challenge. Plus of course some people end up adjusting AI level based on things like their ability to complete practice session objectives in My Team.

*A subject for another thread but just musing if a a particular driver performs the same in My Team as they do in GP mode, given the more detailed driver stat system in My Team.

Yep, which is why I commented that the teammate parameter isn't as relevant anymore. It was part of the gospel back on F1 2019, but now (1) driver ratings plays more of a role, even though the mechanic probably isn't exactly new and (2) you can have a poor driver as a teammate much as well as Hamilton. If you solely used the teammate performance as a criteria for your AI level you would end up with significantly different results. Agreed?

The teammate parameter was more of a community thing. People used to suggest assessing your performance by comparing your laptimes throughout career mode.

Which is why the other method, the one originally advocated by our great and only @PJTierney, is way more pertinent and reliable. You set up a GP on Barcelona or any other "balanced" track (long straights and healthy mix of corners with varying speeds), choose spec cars, go to quali and set the best lap you can. Then you just let the game sit while the AI complete their quali. You should aim to finish at the top, as close as possible to the first AI driver, and that's it.

It's not 100% accurate but that's ok, we're not engineering quantum computers nor building bridges here. That should be your main and foremost method of fine tuning the AI level so that it matches your skill, in my opinion. Then you should use similarly performing cars as a second parameter to not overshoot the difficulty ballpark throughout a career, and your teammate as a third. A distant third if I may, unless you have a reputable driver on the seat. To be honest I only care about my teammate laptimes these days to know when to foot the bill for a better one.

Now about the *, I have been playing mostly My Team now but even back on F1 2019 with Mercedes being top of the carts, no matter who would sit besides Hamilton, it was still Lewis doing most of the winning. So driver ratings were always a thing, just not on the foreground. I do thing they've probably spiced things up now, but the point is that it is an underlying system to the whole game. This is just guesswork, but I find it hard to believe they would have a driver ratings set for My Team and a whole different one for the rest of the game. 

Backing up to the R&D points part. Purple results are not as common as they used to be. Green ones should always be achievable, even if you had to put on a big effort on the track. The rest is a balancing act between how many points green should net you versus purple. Even so, I still think the main problem is how the AI ceases offering any meaningful competition on the performance charts once you catch up with them, not how fast you get up there. Hence my jesting with it risking being a Mercedes simulator

If you look at the programmes description, track acclim. and race strategy should never be a serious issue. Quali pace needs some revising as it is. That leaves tyre and fuel management. Their purpose, as stated by the game, is to track your ability to set a racing line and driving to have an above average tyre wear and fuel savings. Assuming you have the skill and the knowledge to apply the correct driving style, everyone should be able to maintain the marker on the green – sorry for those that can't freaking lift & coast or feather the throttle but yeah, I do think those people should fail. The AI difficulty should not severely impact your ability to move the needle from red to purple as that is all up to the player. The only other aspect left to balance things is the laptime target. Assuming you have average tyre and fuel management skills, I think green should always be an achievable goal and purple always up for grabs as long as you are a good driver. Keywords to differentiate two categories though: average and good.

And this sets me back to my first point. The game needs balancing, but it seems to me that it must be done on the AI chart performance, not on the rate the player generates R&D points. These should not be unrealistic. Plenty of people are already experiencing out-of-reach target times on quali pace programmes so that should give us an idea of what happens when you try to curb the player R&D collection rate. And if you try to accomplish the same by just decreasing the rewards, we fall on that scenario you fear: the average player not being able to challenge the championship before season 4 or whatever.

10 hours ago, marioho said:

Yep, which is why I commented that the teammate parameter isn't as relevant anymore.  

I'd understood your point regarding this in My Team mode but obviously didn't word my post clearly enough. I was trying to refer to judging AI level in GP mode, so using identical cars and comparing times to a teammate in this identical car. That's why I then talked about the issues when this 'match' is 'carried over' into My Team. Try reading my post in this context. I tried referring to PJTierney's video to make it clear I'd understood this but apologies I obviously didn't make it clear enough.

I'll add that I'm not saying AI level is all of the answer to getting to the top of the R&D tree too quickly and earning money/acclaim too fast, just that I'm not convinced it's as irrelevant as seems to be being suggested in this thread. I think it's potentially part of the issue/solution.

Edited by Ultra3142

Green ones should always be achievable, even if you had to put on a big effort on the track.

I've been thinking about this point... Playing Devil's advocate, is this necessarily true? Real F1 teams will have weekends where they just can't achieve the times they'd expected to be able to despite their best efforts.

2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I've been thinking about this point... Playing Devil's advocate, is this necessarily true? Real F1 teams will have weekends where they just can't achieve the times they'd expected to be able to despite their best efforts.

Those times would come from many simulations back at the factory, with the current car setup and track conditions etc. So they should be accurate. Also, the times might not be the times the teams would WANT to achieve, but they would have a pretty good idea going into the weekend what times they CAN achieve. Personally, I don't find them particularly difficult either, I don't have numbers to back this up, but the race sim always seems to have a target time up to 1s slower than I find I actually go during the race. Some of the practice programs aren't particularly realistic from my experience too. Well, track acclimatisation is I guess - that'd usually be an install lap - but as much as a car test than a driver practice. ERS, Tyre and Fuel management would mostly be done during race sims. Other runs would be spent doing back-to-back comparisons between upgrades, setup configurations etc etc.. But I agree with @marioho that obtaining green should be no problem. I also see what you're saying about purpling every program gets extra resource points which might be the issue, but I disagree that's an issue, as it's clearly resource points the game is designed to let you achieve.

Edited by joetoml1n
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Real F1 teams will have weekends where they just can't achieve the times they'd expected to be able to despite their best efforts.

Pretty much why I don't care about purple. If it's within reach than I'll put in the effort; if it's just too stressful then I'll give it a pass and wait for a track that suits me better.

Green is different though. It means you're ok at managing tyres and fuel when needed. It's right there in the programme description, you move the needle to green when you have an above average efficiency considering the AI. If you were dead on the bottom of the charts below even williams then ok, I could see an argument. But not being able to reach a doable time while having a above average tyre/fuel management?

And as far as I know it is above average wear/consumption. Not above average efficiency.

Back to the AI level topic, sorry but I don't see your point.

I don't see why the AI level would vary between modes. It sets the AI pace and that's it. It is there to set a level of pace and driving for the AI so that when you're on the top car and do the best lap you can, you can fight for pole. Once you set it, a given AI driver should drive with the same performance whatever the mode, but obviously adjusting for the car attributes.

It is only natural that a Haas on GP wont have the same performance as the Haas on your 3rd season of My Team, as the car is not the same anymore. But on a fresh save? It makes no sense. The cars and drivers stats are the same, so the AI should perform the same. From that point on your results will vary accordingly to your progress on the R&D and engine charts, but if your skill were to be a constant then you should have no reason to change the AI level.

Of course we all get better with time so small adjustments should be made to account for that. But if the game is functioning as intended, the AI should not be changed throughout the save barring that exception.

But again, AI level sets the pace of the AI on track. It has nothing to do with how many points it costs to develop a lighter engine cover or to improve your engine power. Yes, the targets of the practice programmes are determined by the AI level but not the rewards. That's why I don't see much relevance in here. The AI should be revised for the reasons we all know but I don't see how it would impact the longevity of My Team as long as you have it on the right ballpark.

I want to be fighting for titles. For there to be a fight, I need competitors. That's why we're all hitting this same key, the AI should be able to keep up with you on the car performance. There should not be a valley between you and the next team on the R&D chart - at least not for long.

For the mode to keep on giving we should have Merc keeping pace with us. Then Merc and RBR. Then oh my God what happened Lewis retired Merc did not recover from the last reg change and now Renault is the team to beat at the top of the charts - and consequently at the track.

1 hour ago, marioho said:

Back to the AI level topic, sorry but I don't see your point.

I don't see why the AI level would vary between modes.

I mentioned a few points above but let's focus on one. I think that the relative performance of player Vs AI may vary with car performance. I say this as a player may be more or less able to cope with the adjustment in going from a GP mode car to the limitations of a My Team car at the beginning.

17 hours ago, marioho said:

I am at Hungary in the first season, and we are just ahead of Haas in the development chart, 3rd worst team in the grid. Mick Schumacher is already fighting for points with me, and he is just at 83 pace LOL. I finished 2nd there and he finished 6th... I imagine if I continue to push the aero and chassis developments, we will start to be easily best of the rest...

57 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I mentioned a few points above but let's focus on one. I think that the relative performance of player Vs AI may vary with car performance. I say this as a player may be more or less able to cope with the adjustment in going from a GP mode car to the limitations of a My Team car at the beginning.

I believe so. We are still 3rd worst team on the grid, and as I said above, in Hungary,  Mick Schumacher and myself were easily fighting for points. I have always believed that your car needs to suit your driving style rather than it being fast, and have a good handling as well. It becomes a lot easier when you develop chassis and aero upgrades. I received a Major front downforce upgrade for Hungary, the first major one on the r and d tree, and immediately, I felt I could be more aggressive with the steering in sector 2. I also had a minor tyre wear upgrade in the roll dampers, and the car was immediately a lot more consistent in doing high fuel runs in prsctice. In qualifying, I was consistently the fastest driver by 1-3 tenths through sectors 2 and 3. But I was losing almost 4 tenths to everyone in Sector 1. 

I really do not believe that the performance chart is representative of the cars’ pace... I think that once you have aero upgrades and chassis upgrades, you will immediately notice the improvements. I brought a minor rear downforce for Vietnam, and the car’s sliding was completely gone. I was no longer sliding, until I get dirty air from the other cars... Before that, the car tended to slide quite a lot, particularly in slow speed corners...

Better upgrade aero and chassis..... They make the car a lot easier to drive...

7 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Yes, but the AI pace should be the same if the performance didn't change and I'm happy with that. The AI level should never interfere with how fast I am able to drive.

I still don't see where you're getting at. What the AI level has to do with that. You can have a relatively well placed car on the charts but drive poorly if you don't focus on the right upgrades and don't know how to setup a car to circumvent its deficiencies. I don't see how making Mercedes at the top of the charts lap 0.1s slower or faster to deal with that should be even thought of, as that equates to dialing the difficulty down on a action game so that the enemies have less HP and weaker attacks because you can't clear a level.

And the point here is about the longevity of the game mode. Everyone will probably get 3 or 4 seasons out of it and by the end of season 1 or first third of season 2 you should have a driveable enough car. But will you still feel entertained enough to leg on 5+? 

The limitations of the My Team car can be neutered and fixed on the first season as long as you don't jinx your R&D. And that is a skill in and out of itself, strategy and planning. If you fail to be competitive with the car at the beginning and try to "fix" it by adjusting the AI level you're handicapping the gaming. The Mercedes from GP and the Mercedes of a fresh My Team save should lap the same.

1 hour ago, marioho said:

Yes, but the AI pace should be the same if the performance didn't change and I'm happy with that. The AI level should never interfere with how fast I am able to drive.

That's not the point. We were discussing reasons for uncertainty over what the 'correct' AI level is for My Team.

34 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

That's not the point. We were discussing reasons for uncertainty over what the 'correct' AI level is for My Team.

Haha but that's kinda of the issue, Ultra! We the thread was to discuss how to enhance the longevity of My Team.

You came with this:

I asked this on another thread this morning but wouldn't starting with a higher AI level make acquiring R&D points more difficult and thereby make it take longer to reach the point where your car is too dominant?

From there on, at least from my part what followed was my arguing that the AI level should not affect the R&D as long as you have it correctly set and the level you set it at must work for the whole game. If a thread pops up discussing how unbalanced the AI seems to be then you and I will agree on most things. But here? I don't think the tweaking AI level is the answer and I see no reason for having a different AI level for GP and Career and another for My Team, that should not happen. It makes no sense to me.

If you manually change the AI pace on track (because that's the main purpose of the AI difficulty slider on the Preferences menu) in order to move your practice programme targets and thus make it easier or harder to acquire R&D points, you're skirting the problem. I think it is apparent that the main issue is the inability of the AI to improve their car to remain competitive. Handicapping the R&D generation rate doesn't sound like a real fix to me.

You're just artificially delaying the moment the game systems cannot cope with the your performance anymore.

From there on, at least from my part what followed was my arguing that the AI level should not affect the R&D as long as you have it correctly set

And my point is that you can't be sure about the point in bold, and so I'm not convinced the influence of the set AI level can be dismissed as a factor in what people are observing :classic_smile:. I really don't think this is a controversial point.

This is though distracting from what it sounds like is the more significant issue that @joetoml1n wanted to highlight, which is that you can reach a situation where your own team becomes so far ahead of all others that no regulation changes rebalance things enough to keep successive seasons interesting.

Yes way to easy, became champion in my first season with 95% AI difficulty.

@Ultra3142 haha sorry but I can't agree, mate. 

We get a slider that goes from 1 to 110.

Even if we don't have a method certified by NASA of assessing the correct AI level for the player, we still got pretty solid ones that give you an AI pace to use on all game modes. How wrong of a result could they give you? +/-3 points? 7? 

Now we get a slider that goes from 1 to 110 and you get your value wrong by 5, then suddenly a game mode that should give you 10 seasons stops being fun on season 4?

That's why I'm so adamant that it can't be the AI level. For all the reasons we discussed, this just shouldn't be. 

Worst case scenario, you end a race a few positions ahead of your true pace and you correct it, that's it. This should not doom the AI competitiveness by the third season.

29 minutes ago, marioho said:

@Ultra3142 haha sorry but I can't agree, mate. 

We get a slider that goes from 1 to 110.

Even if we don't have a method certified by NASA of assessing the correct AI level for the player, we still got pretty solid ones that give you an AI pace to use on all game modes. How wrong of a result could they give you? +/-3 points? 7? 

Now we get a slider that goes from 1 to 110 and you get your value wrong by 5, then suddenly a game mode that should give you 10 seasons stops being fun on season 4?

That's why I'm so adamant that it can't be the AI level. For all the reasons we discussed, this just shouldn't be. 

Worst case scenario, you end a race a few positions ahead of your true pace and you correct it, that's it. This should not doom the AI competitiveness by the third season.

I don't agree for the reasons I've posted earlier in this thread but I'll park this under agreeing to disagree as I don't think continuing this is of benefit to anyone :classic_smile:.

So as this was an overwhelming “victory” for the too easy voters, how do we now raise this to the devs?

I think the best part of 2/3 of people (at time of writing) thinking the mode is too easy signifies that we, as customers, think it’s broken and would like something done about it. Probably, being realistic, not for this release but definitely for the next release it should be a feasible change. More so than feasible, a worthy change.

Personally, an “off track” scale for difficulty seems an obvious method, as this could kill many birds with one stone. Problems such as having excess cash, having excess resource points, the ability to sign top drivers too easily IMO. An artificial mechanic (which I’m much less a fan of as it makes it an unfair playing field) to keep the top AI teams within touching distance of the player would also work, but on its own it’s more akin to putting a plaster on a bullet wound. 

I understand some people from codies view these forums? But how active are they on these kind of suggestions? And (without getting too far ahead of myself), how do we know if they even plan to take on board our thoughts and use this as a baseline to improve in the future?