Forum Championship League | BELGIAN GP 22/01/2021 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | 1.15 PATCH NOW LIVE Read more... ×

Is My Team too easy?

Is the My Team mode too easy?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Is the My Team mode too easy? Do you progress from back marker to front runner too quickly?

• Yes, I moved too quickly from a back-marker to race winner.
    • No, I'm still a back-marker/midfield runner well into my second season or further.
    • Neither, I was expecting the progression to take less than 1.5 to 2 seasons.

Posting on the Suggestions forum, probably. If I may, making the post two parts, one for the apparent causes of the problem and one for the suggested solutions, would help with it gaining traction as sometimes people don't dissociate one with another. Like you make a post revealing a objective problem with the driving model but make it all about calling George Russell to test and assist on development. It may happen that no matter how good your diagnosis is, the post still goes down as "that goose that wanted us to hire a F1 driver".

I'm obviously not implying that our proposed solutions are bad. Just that it helps when a discussion has more than one hook.

I made an app that raised R&d costs to 800/1600/2400 and x4,x3,x2 facility costs for the level. And doing that slows down the game significantly enough to make a long term rise to the front much more fun. Just these simple tweaks takes it from a game mode where it takes 2 seasons to win dominatly, to about 6.... maybe more.... I'm still not there yet.

• Like 1

That's one possible solution, but I prefer being on the top echelon a bit earlier if I'm competent on managing my R&D and skillful to green all my practice programmes and maybe even purple a few, but having different AI teams up there with me with different strengths and weakness to make the racing more fun and diverse throughout the season. 

I think the common enemy we're fighting here is the "win dominantly" phase. The point at which it essentially becomes a Mercedes simulator. 

14 hours ago, marioho said:

That's one possible solution, but I prefer being on the top echelon a bit earlier if I'm competent on managing my R&D and skillful to green all my practice programmes and maybe even purple a few, but having different AI teams up there with me with different strengths and weakness to make the racing more fun and diverse throughout the season. 

I think the common enemy we're fighting here is the "win dominantly" phase. The point at which it essentially becomes a Mercedes simulator. 

How about make r and d parts more expensive? Tom97 just started his driver career at Red Bull in Silverstone season 1, and the upgrades were off the charts in terms of costs. One major upgrade cost like 2000 r&d points...

If the overall system is not gonna see major change and stay as it is, then I felt the areas that needed to be address are:

• Player's R&D needs to be re-balance, some upgrades are simply too OP too earlier on and cost literally nothing for the amount of performances they give.
  • Some benefits of the R&D facilities give players too much advantage, unless the AI teams are upgrading their own facilities roughly as quick as the players, or else we're able to hit to ceiling of performance like 10 times quicker than anyone else.

Even if you try to put yourself in a disadvantage:

• Started as a Honda team.
  • With only Durability buff at the beginning (Will's interview)
  • Mod yourself so you have 0 R&D point to start with.
  • Only sign sponsors that give relatively low money (Equinos, Zigzag, Duotone, Novus, etc)
  • Completely ignore the Engine R&D tree.
  • and never upgrade any of the R&D facilities to Tier 2 before season two (But max out the tier 1 facility upgrades).

By the end of season one, you'll still be able to nearly max out all the tier 1 upgrades of both Chassis and Aero departments unless you do Reliability as well (Also depends on you luck of course). All these might put you nearly at the bottom of the R&D index with Williams below you, but, if I start to upgrade my facilities to tier 2, and also invest on Engine in season two (with all the money I'm able to save up from season one), I'm sure by mid-season two my team will already be at least the top midfield team or even challenging the top three.

I think in order to slow me down to a balance rate, I've to leave the Fabrication upgrade at lvl 0 so I can only research one part per department at a time.

Edited by DRTApophis

I think all video games should include as many slider/difficulty adjustments for as many features as possible. There’s such a broad range of skill level and preferences that it makes sense to give the user as many options as possible. If I don’t want any driver transfers in MY Team and really difficult R&D/Facilities but normal Acclaim I could adjust the settings to that. If I want crazy driver transfers and super easy R&D because I picked the crazy paint livery and i want to go yolo I could do that also. 

8 minutes ago, Theseus said:

I think all video games should include as many slider/difficulty adjustments for as many features as possible. There’s such a broad range of skill level and preferences that it makes sense to give the user as many options as possible. If I don’t want any driver transfers in MY Team and really difficult R&D/Facilities but normal Acclaim I could adjust the settings to that. If I want crazy driver transfers and super easy R&D because I picked the crazy paint livery and i want to go yolo I could do that also. 

Depends, for games such as the Soulborne series where the whole design of their games revolves around the challengingsense of accomplishment aspects, I don't think any blatant difficulty setting would integrate well into them.

In our case though, having difficulty settings made sense because simcade/sim racing games in general have very steep learning curve in comparison, the range of target audiences is much wider as well. 

3 hours ago, Krisperfectline said:

How about make r and d parts more expensive? Tom97 just started his driver career at Red Bull in Silverstone season 1, and the upgrades were off the charts in terms of costs. One major upgrade cost like 2000 r&d points...

Haha I think that's included in the post I was replying to?

It could use some revising yes but I don't think that's the main issue. I want competition (i.e. AI teams keeping up with me), don't care much if I'm driving a beast or a boat.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Theseus said:

For me I think the Codemasters F1 games have far greater control over difficulty than any other game I've played. I say this due to the flexible assists system as well as the AI control.

36 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

For me I think the Codemasters F1 games have far greater control over difficulty than any other game I've played. I say this due to the flexible assists system as well as the AI control.

I've said this already but I was too far for too long of any racing games since NFS Underground 2. Came back to F1 2019 and since then I've been paying attention to every other simcade and simulators out there. It is impressive and laudable the onboarding Codemasters have on their games. The full range of assists, the flashback, and even their racing line – it is the best out there in my opinion, hands down.

By the way, when does the r and d regulation change whisper occur? I am at Italy and have received no messages yet. Next thing is, I get hit with the cheese: no messages and then regulation change occurs in Russia or Japan..

On 9/4/2020 at 12:08 PM, marioho said:

On a full season it used to be around Japan, I think. 

I got only Powertrain reset for season 2. Luckily, I only have 4 upgrades in that department. The great thing about r and d reset, is that you can choose the upgrades you want to make your car as suitable to you as you want.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:33 PM, Krisperfectline said:

By the way, when does the r and d regulation change whisper occur? I am at Italy and have received no messages yet. Next thing is, I get hit with the cheese: no messages and then regulation change occurs in Russia or Japan..

In my 16 race seasons they have been announced at Japan, but I always got a whisper email the race before.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:33 AM, Krisperfectline said:

I got mine in Singapore. I'm still in the first season.

In terms of the general topic at hand, the "campaign" part of My Team will be easy, if one makes race weekends easy. I could bet that over 95% of players don't have a single retirement on their results screen over a season. Why? Because of flashbacks. It's essentially a single player cheat, so if one uses it every weekend / session, of course the game is going to be easy. Let the retirements come and weekends with negative acclaim and just a handful of research points. It will give a natural extension to your campaigns.

I believe that's what the campaign is balanced around. If they'd make it so that in order to get competitive you could never retire etc., it would be a tough ask for those who don't flashback, for example.

Edited by janbonator

1 hour ago, janbonator said:

I got mine in Singapore. I'm still in the first season.

In terms of the general topic at hand, the "campaign" part of My Team will be easy, if one makes race weekends easy. I could bet that over 95% of players don't have a single retirement on their results screen over a season. Why? Because of flashbacks. It's essentially a single player cheat, so if one uses it every weekend / session, of course the game is going to be easy. Let the retirements come and weekends with negative acclaim and just a handful of research points. It will give a natural extension to your campaigns.

I believe that's what the campaign is balanced around. If they'd make it so that in order to get competitive you could never retire etc., it would be a tough ask for those who don't flashback, for example.

I wonder how could they put our retirements in the game? We can’t have brake failures... Power unit issues? Maybe increase the chance of a component failing when it reaches 60%? I normally switch to another component when I have 50% wear on that specific component, and I start using the 50% component in practice and switching it out during qualifying. 

I watched Tiametmarduk’s career in season 2 at Austria, and it was seriously funny as hell. Control electronics survived even if if was at 90 something percent hahaha

25 minutes ago, Krisperfectline said:

I wonder how could they put our retirements in the game? We can’t have brake failures... Power unit issues? Maybe increase the chance of a component failing when it reaches 60%? I normally switch to another component when I have 50% wear on that specific component, and I start using the 50% component in practice and switching it out during qualifying.

I watched Tiametmarduk’s career in season 2 at Austria, and it was seriously funny as hell. Control electronics survived even if if was at 90 something percent hahaha

I'd like to see mechanical DNFs as an option for the player, but not having it forced. I can imagine that if one prepares for a 100% race several days, one might not be so keen to DNF from a brake failure.

Right now the only way to retire naturally is to crash. Nothing stops a player from simulating a mechanical DNF during a season by simply retiring from a race. I did that once so far. I put in a new engine for the race (with penalties) and retired on the first lap. The story was that my engine blew up in the race and the new engine was installed only afterwards. Would be simpler and nice to have it as an in-game option, though.

There's so much more they could do in terms of complexity of My Team. The question is of return on investment. Would expanding and improving My Team (at a cost) bring enough more sales to make it justified?

5 hours ago, janbonator said:

I'd like to see mechanical DNFs as an option for the player, but not having it forced. I can imagine that if one prepares for a 100% race several days, one might not be so keen to DNF from a brake failure.

Options:
Mechanical Failures = on/off

Why is that not possible?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Many good suggestions here.

Most may well be implemented. The question is when. How much does Codemasters actually need to add to each release of F1 to make you buy the next game while saving enough features for the one after to ensure you buy that one too.
IMO I find it frustrating as the game is really good and has so much potential but some things feel unfinished (eg car damage has remained limited for years plus you should have to pay for and manufacture replacement parts when damaged)

Edited by pinmanf1

5 hours ago, pinmanf1 said:

(eg car damage has remained limited for years plus you should have to pay for and manufacture replacement parts when damaged)

Not disagreeing with all you've said but you do pay for damage in My Team.

On 9/7/2020 at 4:27 PM, FTBuzzard said:

Options:
Mechanical Failures = on/off

Why is that not possible?

I want mechanical failures so bad, asked for years.

It's unrealistic that a brand new team joins F1 and goes one full season without any retirements due to mechanical issues.

Yh I’ve only played one season but I have won a few races on raw pace and it was on the correct difficulty because my teammate was near me. The game needs to let us have sliders to increase or decrease the speed of both yours and the Ai’s car development 

Edited by SomaticCoast375

I agree it is a bit too easy to get too the top . But then saying that . Of it took longer then you would have no chance of catching and matching the new mercs records . As can imagine the is players out there that will be wanting to try and match the mercs records . It's also Joe the player plays it out as well . The options are there to play a longer time to get to top . You could leave signing the sponsors for a season of so same when upgrading departments you could choose not to buy the upgrades that give more rnd points meaning you get less over the race weekend . So will take longer to develop . Now that I'm thinking about it the options are in the game to play it the long road to victory or the short route to the top . Just depends what the player decides . Meprfsonalyim wanting to have a. Crack at matching mercs 7 titles . Just started a new game first thing my money is going on is recourse points generator . Started with s decent chassis . At min I think I'm on round 7 or 6 and just about in the midfield fight got an chassis as good as top 3 aero is.bottom of charts and engine in middle . I'm trying to develop a car that is hood on twisty tracks and not so good on high speed . Or might go other way . But toe the options are in the game to play it the long road or short road or long road if wanted to do I'm hoping codies don't change nothing in that regard as the options are already there 

On 9/8/2020 at 9:19 PM, Ryne said:

I want mechanical failures so bad, asked for years.

It's unrealistic that a brand new team joins F1 and goes one full season without any retirements due to mechanical issues.

Big part of the problem is that it's too easy to *game* the system on extra components -- there's effectively no downside to taking a whole new set of engine components if your qualy position puts you at the back of the pack anyway.  The game needs a substantial penalty for taking extra engine components that is over and above the grid penalties in the form of cash and resource points.  Let's say that each ICE component costs:

• $1mm plus extra $$$ for each upgrade on the power unit; plus
  • 250 resource points plus some extra points depending upon how much power unit upgrading you've done

This changes things:

• Instead of taking all new engine components and trying to work through the pack, there will be plenty of times when you will be highly inclined to race with a worn engine.  (Running races with engine wear in excess of 65%, combined with some random chance of a catastrophic failure at engine wear greater than 65% would mean occasional DNFs due to mechanical failures). 
  • The easy decision to take a set of engine components anytime you qualify on the back row is no longer an easy decision.  This will have an especially big impact on season one back-marker teams -- you will be most likely to qualify on the back row in the first half of season one, but you won't have the cash on hand to purchase components;
  • You'll have to plan ahead to make sure you have cash and resource points on hand to add a new set of components (and forego investing in facilities and performance upgrades);
  • The obvious strategy for season one back-marker teams is no longer to improve performance first and then circle back around to reliability.  There's a significant incentive to invest resources into reliability upgrades early even at the cost of performance.

My opinion is that the game is too easy. Starting season 5 and after an all department reg change to end season 3 and an aero and durability reg change to end season 4 my car is now miles ahead of all the other cars in development. In order to have more competition I would have to boost the AI, but since my team mate is right there ahead of me on the grid and just behind me at the end of most races (he wins his share) I can only bring the other teams into the fight at the cost of giving my team mate the title. My next choice is to sign a bad driver each year to prevent them from becoming too good.

Since we only have 10 years, taking too long to be in a position to win might put some off, but being in a position for my team to take pole at every race and win all of them (well 15 of 16 poles and 16 of 16 races (I beat my team mate only by 10 points in the title fight)) is also a little boring. 

I suppose I can ban my self from adapting parts when the next reg change comes and pay full price for them in the following season and start lower back, but these things seem a bit artificial.