Is My Team too easy?

Is the My Team mode too easy?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Is the My Team mode too easy? Do you progress from back marker to front runner too quickly?

• Yes, I moved too quickly from a back-marker to race winner.
    • No, I'm still a back-marker/midfield runner well into my second season or further.
    • Neither, I was expecting the progression to take less than 1.5 to 2 seasons.

I think ai strategies need to be adjusted. I just won a totally unexpected race of the US Grand Prix in Season 1 in a 22 race season when my car is closely matched with the midfield. I started from P8, due to grid penalties from Ricciardo and Verstappen, and there was a safety car on lap 11-13, and the ai decided to pit for hard tyres instead of medium tyres, and some even went for the 2 stop strategy.  The one stop Soft-Medium or vice versa appeared to be clearly the better strategy, and I only overtook Albon to win the race, while the others, I just overtook on track through the pit stops. Same goes for Q2, if the ideal strategy is a Medium-Hard like on Baku, Bahrain, France and Singapore, make the ai qualify on the Medium tyres in Q2. 

Has anyone else run into where you have developed all the available upgrades but your car's rating in that category is not maximized? I have 100% of the Durability and Chassis upgrades, but the potential bars in those categories are not full. I do have 100% Aero and that bar is maxed out. Powertrain only missing one engine supplier upgrade. Am in Season 6 btw. Thanks

I agree the my team is too easy . But if it took longer too get too the top then you wouldn't have a chance of matching and beating the records . The problems is in my view is once you are at top it's really easy to stay there . Before start of new career I was half way threw 3rd season done 9 10 races . Only practice programmes I done was race and qusli . And by time got half way threw season o had 9 thousand recourse points . Had no reason to upgrade the car further as no other team upgraded there car at all in the 9 races . I think it should be when you get to top of performance the teams behind should start upgrading more and also when the new rules are introduced the should do the same with the department upgrades . But make the cost higher for the departments if you have to fully purchase them again . That would make it more challenge . So it's so it's easy getting to the top but harder staying there 

I can't answer the question as the same has happened in my game as always happens to me in Codemasters F1 games. I started to fiddle with the difficulty settings between tracks and forgot to raise the difficulty after the race. Too lazy and also curious what your overpowered car will do that weekend and race on a lower difficulty than intended. You get a podium finish and once you get a taste of how it is to race in front ... You know how it is. Jeff gives you compliments, Claire looks up to you, your F2 driver teammate starts to look uncomfortable,  you get more money. I think even Hamilton likes me, he once poured champagne over me on stage.

So yes for me it's going too fast. What this game lacks is explanation of why you are slower on some tracks. I once heard that your car might be upgraded in a way it does not suit the track well. We should get such information from our engineers. If the difficulty is written like intended, something is missing in information because I always think the game is broken and start to fiddle with the settings

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Like 1

I dont necessarily think My Team is too easy; I think people play with AI settings that are too easy which allows them to place higher than they should with back of the grid cars allowing them to rack up R&D points and cash quicker than they should based on their car's performance.

That being said, I do think there is plenty of opportunity to grow the mode with more to upgrade/research/do etc. etc. etc.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, petro1319 said:

I dont necessarily think My Team is too easy; I think people play with AI settings that are too easy which allows them to place higher than they should with back of the grid cars allowing them to rack up R&D points and cash quicker than they should based on their car's performance.

That being said, I do think there is plenty of opportunity to grow the mode with more to upgrade/research/do etc. etc. etc.

MyTeam is definitely too easy, the Ai is too which makes it worse. I go into GP mode per track in the Alpha Tauri to compare my pace to my teammate (Kvyat has 80 race pace I believe) so it's somewhat average. Then I go into MyTeam and up it by 2 points and for the race by another 2 and it's till too easy, the Ai just can't overtake somehow.

A few days ago I restarted and got up to China, being the worst car on the grid I finished P8. I had a big train behind me but they couldn't overtake because I used ERS in the right areas and running slightly less downforce, I did the race on 107 difficulty. Could have upped it by 1 more because I was a second faster than my teammate (Matsushita) but he has low pace so I expect myself to be faster than him.

In terms of the MyTeam mode itself, you can have a fully upgraded car and facilities at the end of season 3 and you can even win the championship in season 2. Regulation changes every season make it even easier because once you have that fully upgraded car you only have to spent R&D points on that and you will easily get enough R&D throughout a season to be able to adapt everything while the Ai is not and goes down in performance massively.

One of the things I am hoping Codemasters will add into the next game is different types of front and rear wings, for example on Monza the teams are running much lower wings than on a track like Monaco which will be higher. I would suggest 5 different types of front and rear wings just like the 5 default preset setups we have in the game and then being able to upgrade each front and rear wing individually to add much more to be upgraded in that aspect atleast. Which would also result in trying out many different setups etc that would make practise more interesting too.

• Like 1

I rarely get any drivers switching teams in my team mode. they just switch team if another driver retires.
in season 1 Kimi retired, and Masushita was in for Alfa, and in season 2 vettel retired and de Vries took over the ferrari. Besides this, nothing else happened with team switching

6 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

I rarely get any drivers switching teams in my team mode. they just switch team if another driver retires.
in season 1 Kimi retired, and Masushita was in for Alfa, and in season 2 vettel retired and de Vries took over the ferrari. Besides this, nothing else happened with team switching

In my career I got very interesting driver changes. When Vettel retired he got replaced by Sainz, I took Riccardo from Renault and Renault replaced him with Gasly. There seems to be logic behind the driver transfers.

I have a question. Can you enter Honda as the team name?
For me the game says it is an illegal word or something like that.

3 hours ago, FTBuzzard said:

I have a question. Can you enter Honda as the team name?
For me the game says it is an illegal word or something like that.

No you can't use any of the engine manufacturers names. Ferrari even got Scuderia banned for team name.

On 8/30/2020 at 7:57 PM, joetoml1n said:

Hi all, looking to start a discussion and get your opinions and thought… The question : Is My Team mode too easy? It’s a simple question although I’m sure the answers will be anything but simple..

Before we get going though, this is not relating to the AI difficultly level while racing. I race with the difficulty set high, but my results are relative to my car and teammate, so I’m expecting similar experiences for people racing on 70 difficulty, for example..

I think the mode IS too easy, and I’ll give my thoughts..

In S1, I started with a Merc Engine, Jordan King as my 2nd Driver (as I know him personally, as he was a test driver for my team previously IRL). I selected Loop as the title sponsor - with the goal of 5 points finishes. Ambitious, yet achievable? During the relevant interviews, I played up the team in all situations (to increase team acclaim) and sponsors where possible (to get cash injections). My other key tactics were focusing on activities that would boost the team acclaim and generate R&D points (especially in early game). Latterly my acclaim has become more important. Cash was initially spent on boosting R&D point income from each dept, the durability one is an efficient one to work with initially.. Focusing on boosting experience stat of the second also brings in more R&D points I think? I kind of completely ignored activates that improved their pace - as my long term goal was to sign a top driver. Similarly I ignored team morale activities and generally they just stayed as “good” morale. Picking the right sponsors is also good, you want to be able to achieve the bonus goal EVERY week - pick the best paying one you can realistically accomplish each week. In later seasons, the ones where you OR your team mate has to win/get podium is a good shout - as even if you have a bad race, they can bring home to money! Finally, in practice, I always went for purple in the practice programs, for the extra resource points, however minor the gains become there..

S1 started with expected results, generally outside the points or very low points paying positions, where strategy allowed. The obvious exception being Monaco where a well timed safety car came to my rescue - this felt somewhat realistic and I revelled in our good result. As the season went on I joined the midfield, sometimes I was in the middle of them (in the performance charts), sometimes I was still at the bottom, but because it was so close that still often yielded somewhat decent points paying positions. Changeable conditions in Q in Mexico allowed my to get the Inters on at the right time and achieve a freak pole position, while everyone was still on Extreme Wets. A wet race meant I gambled on a 0 Stop strategy and it mostly payed off. I lost P1 but still got the teams first podium. At the end of the season, two depts had reg changes and although I managed to adapt all parts, upgrades were few and far between in the second half of the year.

945786971_F12020_20200830182248.thumb.jpg.9077ae2c60e20bcfc88b3d2e70a3bdd8.jpg

1899267474_F12020_20200830182406.thumb.jpg.ab1eae798d2048d2b45f95c18ebf542d.jpg

Moving into S2, we started near the bottom of the performance charts again despite our focus on carrying over upgrades. However, we’re able to generate so many resource points that by race 8 or so, we were at the top of midfield and a well set up car playing to our/track strengths meant we could compete for podiums. In the mid season I switched out my second driver for Carlos Sainz and spend the remainder of my money maxing out all my driver perks. The reduced engine wear perk was beneficial as we haven’t focused much on the durability side and our R&D point generation is boosted.

By race 13/14 we were equal with Merc and trading P1 with them. No reg changes at the end of the year made the start of S3 easy! Cash flow was high, we resigned Carlos, Level 3’d most depts meaning upgrades rarely fail, they come in quick and we generate a lot of weekly resource points.

925501552_F12020_20200830182307.thumb.jpg.af17a55970b74ea7e4bbb28b3a10a7d5.jpg

745273018_F12020_20200830182412.thumb.jpg.d1f2199c6cc97fb4bf7015e4ec0406b6.jpg

I switched up the format for S3 to keep the game feeling fresh. A compressed 10 race calendar and one shot Q - just to spice things up a little. I also hit level 20 team acclaim during the off season. So have my 4th sponsor. Also, now we are generating so many resource points that we’ve pulled well clear of Merc. I don’t know where this is going to be honest either. I can’t see our rate of development slowing down before the end of the year or we’ve maxed the car - whichever comes first.

Personally I feel the rate of development was too quick and there’s no sign of it slowing down. I also do not have the difficulty too low for my ability - I’ve been on a par with my team mate (especially since signing Sainz) and if I mess up and don’t get the good result, he is sure too!

What’s everyone else’s experiences? I wanted more of a slow burn. S1 felt good but since then it’s ramped up too quickly and it’s kind of ruined the realism and immersion to be honest. I’m not interesting in running a maxed out car, I want realism. I’m debating doing another My Team career, just so I have something work towards again, but I'm also looking forward to doing another F2 career, when 2020 is updated in the game. Failing that, I might have to fall back to other racing games as I’m really not sure where to go after S3 - I just don’t see the AI catching up.

1423815539_F12020_20200830182421.thumb.jpg.22a43f380be306ea33c3192753d20aa6.jpg

865035666_F12020_20200830182349.thumb.jpg.bac6c9d44043989d0fc2bed9b2f315c6.jpg

Does the game need a difficulty setting for the non racing parts of the game too? Where DNFs can be more costly, where money and R&D points are harder to come by etc..?

I cant tell for sure. But seeing your results in season 1. I feel you got the difficulty too low. What AI are you running? 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, delange93 said:

I cant tell for sure. But seeing your results in season 1. I feel you got the difficulty too low. What AI are you running? 

That's a good point. Someone driving in a bottom 3 team would never get 14 point finishes in his first season.

I don't know if it's easy or not too, but if AI difficulty is lower than it should, you will certainly get more than your fair share of R&D points, then reaching and mantaining dominance will be much easier.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gonira said:

I don't know if it's easy or not too, but if AI difficulty is lower than it should, you will certainly get more than your fair share of R&D points, then reaching and mantaining dominance will be much easier.

Reaching, yes. I agree. But maintaining... I think that's more nuanced. The top AI teams should still make progress on the performance charts and, assuming you have the correct difficulty set, be competitive on the track. That seems to be a point of imbalance where the AI simply fades on the R&D and fails to have a competitive car.

1 hour ago, Gonira said:

That's a good point. Someone driving in a bottom 3 team would never get 14 point finishes in his first season.

In the first season I've found the AI level to be very hard to judge. On one track 104 might be good while another one would need 109. What's more striking to me is the complete lack of DNFs coupled with solid results. Usually it's a sign of extensive flashbacking.

So far I’m still in S1 at Brazil. I’ve got 3 wins already this season and 7 podiums overall. My first podium was due to me playing at the same difficulty as last year’s game. Big mistake. I’m now playing at a much higher level but still got a win last time in Mexico. It’s ridiculously unrealistic especially since my team is still classed as 3rd worst overall, on par with Haas and Alfa.