Sign in to follow this  

What you want to see from GRID

GRID fans,

My first order of business is to carry on where we left off, and that is what you want from a GRID game. While we've gathered this feedback in massive quantities I figured that with the new forum it makes sense to have a dedicated place for it, rest assured that we value this feedback in the highest regard and it is of the up most importance to us.

Feedback can be based on anything you want, cars, locations, game modes, single player, multiplayer, and anything else you think of.

Look forward to once again hearing your thoughts!

As I told in other feedbacks, I just want decent racetracks, intead street circuits. I thought it would be simple add more racetracks since you have a lot of tracks already done for the F1 games, but it seens to be not that simple.

Since more tracks apparently isn´t possible, I suggest a better DLC support in playlists.
Sometimes I´m playing with some friends in playlists. We all have all the DLCs packages, but the playlist system just deliver us stock tracks and cars. Its just disappointing. I expect system analyse what DLC each player in the playlist have in common, then made that DLCs tracks and car available to play.
I imagine its not a improvement that demands too much work and will make playlist more enjoyable

I'd love to see a return of the Race Driver series. (ToCA Race Driver). Circuit racing, maybe some rallycross, but something akin to the good old days of the ToCA PS2 games. ;)

Also the ability to build your own professional race team from the ground up. Branding, cars, staff, HQ, the lot.

+1 to seeing a return of the Race Driver/ToCA series. I remember sinking dozens of hours into ToCA 3 back on my PS2.

Sanzio said:
As I told in other feedbacks, I just want decent racetracks, intead street circuits. I thought it would be simple add more racetracks since you have a lot of tracks already done for the F1 games, but it seens to be not that simple.

Since more tracks apparently isn´t possible, I suggest a better DLC support in playlists.
Sometimes I´m playing with some friends in playlists. We all have all the DLCs packages, but the playlist system just deliver us stock tracks and cars. Its just disappointing. I expect system analyse what DLC each player in the playlist have in common, then made that DLCs tracks and car available to play.
I imagine its not a improvement that demands too much work and will make playlist more enjoyable
I found that it is possible to play with DLC cars in playlist, I played yesterday.U need to have some DLC-s (I have all of them) and u need to create a playlist, not to join some.Than u and all others who have dlcs , can use them in playlist.
Now , creating the playlist is a luck...
As i mentioned in old forums, they need to patch game with new playlist for DLC cars and problem is solved.
Cheers!

Over time I will have more to say about this but the first thing the springs to my mind is the physics. 

I rarely played GRID 2 and I feel that was down to how the cars handled, I just did not enjoy it. The concept of the game as a whole I quite liked but the physics let it down for me.

I know it is an arcade game but it was "too arcadey" if you get what I mean. I remember doing a race on Brands racing in the Alfa Mito, one of my first races on the game, and there is me racing the racing line perfect, getting the apexs and everything until suddenly this guy in another Mito comes drifting round my outside at easily twice my speed and steams off into the distance. After seeing this I tried to replicate that and sure enough drifting a FWD car round a corner at twice the speed you should be going seems to work perfect.

That is just one of a number of things I personally feel let the game down and if the physics could be sorted than that is a massive step forward. 

Ditch the drifty handling,

Stop trying to emulate your competitors games

Reestablish Codemasters as an original British brand built up with the likes of the Toca series. 

Reintroduce the DTM, BTCC and Australian V8 series, with semi-sim handling that rewards taking a proper racing line through corners.

Everything joepineapples said!

The series started with Touring Cars and that is where I'd like to see it again; a game representing all Touring Car Championships would be fantastic. Given the similarities in regulations with DTM, I would love to see Super GT properly represented in a game as well.

Ditch the drifty handling,

Stop trying to emulate your competitors games

Reestablish Codemasters as an original British brand built up with the likes of the Toca series. 

Reintroduce the DTM, BTCC and Australian V8 series, with semi-sim handling that rewards taking a proper racing line through corners.

So agree with this. Maybe they can add the WTTC too.

Sanzio said:

More circuts would be nice but I would also like to keep the streets as well.

Adelaide Street Circuit

Autodromo Oscar Alfredo Galvez

Barbagallo Raceway

Brands Hatch

Brno

Croft Circuit

Dijon Prenois

Donington Park

Dubai Autodrome

EuroSpeedway Lausitz

Guangzhou Street Circuit

Guia Circuit

Hidden Valley Raceway

Hockenheimring(old+new)

Homebush Street Circuit

Hungaroring

Knockhill

Magny Cours

Moscow Raceway

Mount Panorama

Mugello

Norisring

Nürburgring

Okayama International Circuit

Oschersleben

Oulton Park

Paul Ricard

Phillip Island

Pukekohe Park Raceway

Queensland Raceway

Red Bull Ring

Rockingham Motor Speedway

Salzburgring

Sandown Raceway

Silverstone

Slovakia Ring

Snetterton

Surfers Paradise Street Circuit

Sydney Motorsport Park

Symmons Plains Raceway

Thruxton Circuit

Townsville Street Circuit

Vallelunga

Watkins Glen

Winton Motor Raceway

Zandvoort

Zolder

Fix the problem with the dlc's. I hate it that I can't use it much. The dlc's are great! Only the price isn't comfortable^^

GRID needs to go back to it's roots in the European Touring Cars such as BTCC, DTM, STCC etcetera. I'd be happy for a format which has multiple disciplines but is much closer to some real car handling not some NFS style drift crap. GRID had a great list of disciplines, but the cars often felt lacking in number or feel for the racing, more depth for the cars as well as more diversity in the cars allowing them to be setup for different classes of racing would be a massive boost to the series.

Echoing the sentiments above, real tracks, real cars, semi-realistic handling. A campaign that can be shared with friends in a team format, even to the point you can make it drop in and drop out.

AI that race rather than follow rails or just punt you off.

DLC that doesn't split the community and reduce the players abilities to race their paid for cars online. Hell if the updates allowed the cars to be seen by those who haven't got them, but unable to be selected that's more sensible than preventing those who have them from using them. Tracks shouldn't be a locked resource as it will fracture the community just like it does with map packs for online shooters.

Drop the global leaderboards, it just encourages cheating, which costs too much to police and despite all claims previously Codies never policed them properly. Allow seasons and ladder's to be created and joined allowing for player run championships.

GT class racing with endurance championships. Allowances for endurance racing in Single Player as well as for full length races if the players desire it. It's just a tweak to the lap numbers and AI attitude (more cautious and long term oriented instead of aggressive sprint running...)

Refueling and pitstops for endurance racing. Hell even a Le Mans 6/12/24 hrs setup would be epic. Bringing in the Prototypes as well as other interesting marques.

That's just my initial ideas dump...

Re-Hi all again.

1st of all after Dirt3 and Grid 2 i don't expect much from Codies. Lost faith in them. 

And i will repeat what i wrote many times on old forum.

Grid franchise has always been about close/bumper to bumper racing. No need to change handling to more sim-like. There are/going to be enough simish games on the market. When your game is too much of a simulator it gets too hard for many people and turns them off. Codemasters games are so popular and great because you don't have to spend days practicing and learning the handling or tracks to have fun and race online at least in mid-pack and feel competitive. This allows more action as more people have better skills.

So, the ideal mix of sim and arcade is to have real race cars on real race circuits abiding laws of physics but with a lot of help from game's engine. I don't want to think all the time how not to spin my car or lock my brakes, i just want to drive my car to the max, with lot of grip, lap after lap, bumper to bumper, against human opponent. I want to use Grid 1-like amounts of slipstream to catch him. And use tactics to pass him. On-track action is more important than driving the car itself. This is in what Codies games have been the best.

It's no fun to drive alone: in front, on third place or last. The greatest races have always been where you had full grid of evenly matched players, respecting one another, where you could take corners 2 or 3 side and fighting for a win till last corner. Well, I was a Grid 1 touring cars Nerd for 3 years, probably lost some portion of my health thanks to that, but what the hell, it was worthy :p

Both Grid 2 and Dirts 3 had a potential to be great games. But Dirt 3 had short and repetitive tracks/locations and needless gymkhana style modes. Grid 2 had a cornering BUG that Codies never fixed. BUG that made it impossible to race door to door like good old Grid 1 touring cars times. And promised touring cars had been a JOKE.  Another big mistake was idea to mix different variety of car types in one race was stupidest thing ever. Next one was MP points/levels and money. It should never been like that. Grid 1 was ideal in this department.

So to sums things up:

- leave handling as it is (Dirt3/Grid2 like), except for cornering BUG of course,

- its quality that counts, not quantity. OK? So, smaller variety of cars (you can add them more with DLCs), make 3 or 4 classes with 3 or 4 evenly matched cars. I.e. touring cars, GT cars, open whellers. Or base game on real race series like WTCC or GT1. Maybe add rallyX to new Grid instead Dirt4

- more classic circuits (use tracks from your F1 games). It's easier to adapt them than to laser-scan new ones, isn't it? BTW. there is a guy who adapted Dirt 3 cars to Grid 2 tracks so don't tell it's not possible to mix it a bit more.

- online leveling should be dropped or at least should not affect equal chances for everyone (not buying faster cars or upgrades for leveling, fame is enough). Grid 1 system was perfect. You started the game, chosed the mode and everybody had equal cars. Vey simple Dirt2/3-like setup would be also ok.

- drop needless modes (overtake and such)

- payed DLC - only cars so you don' end up with divided community

Good luck with your new game. You will need it.

What i want to see in next GRID game (if u guys decide to make it):

1. Keep the handling from original GRID game - no drifting
  2. Separate game to classes - Muscle, Exotic, Touring, Open wheel, GT2 , GT1, Prototype....and dont mix them
  3. Dont give us ability to upgrade cars - give us few specific cars for specific game mode, with similar power so bumper to bumper can be possible and back again
  4. Tracks - give us more real tracks 
  5. Better support for the wheel users and cockpit view 
  6. Bring back the online Driver Leaderboards like we had in original GRID game and make Driver lvl goes more than 99 :D

This was fast thinking and fast suggestions from me!! ;) (yeap i know its same like original game, but that keeps me playing it still today)

I agree with most of the above Flowa except about Grid 2's handling being any good, (Teatray on ice seems about right to me).

CM's decisions and direction over the last 2 years or so leave me apathetic regarding the future of two of the best franchises in years (IMO).

Dirt 3 was great fun to play but the rally events were far to short (for an old Colin McRae series fan). Gymkhana for me was a blast and I spent more time in the freestyle arena doing crazy stunts than I did racing.

Dirt Showdown..... I bought it as it had the same gymkhana areas from Dirt 3. To my horror every long jump that could be cleared by any car in Dirt 3 required "boost" now, completed the game and rapidly binned it. Then I went back to Dirt 3.

Grid was great, As Flowa said bumper to bumper, full bore, true grip racing with a MASSIVE grin on your face. Drift (for those that liked it) was phenomenal, sideways @ stupid speeds inches from the others around you yet still in complete control. Derby was a good giggle and (for the most part) gave the hooligans summat to do. Still played Grid until very recently.

Grid 2 was mediocre at best, races where you have to drift every corner to win races (even in front wheel drive cars?). Drift, paradoxically enough, was ruined by sprint runs round a handful of corners promoting stop/start drifting. Derby returned only after a massive campaign by it's fans, the rest of us who felt let down got no fix for the handling, the derby tracks from Grid 1 could be added but not the drift events/tracks? I enjoyed Grid 2 for a while but I binned it because...... This came along and gave me back that Gridlike Grin factor.

http://youtu.be/5OlD3aVk4-g

Not the best driving in the world but THAT is more like what we Old Skool Gridders wanted from Grid 2. Good "racing technique" being rewarded, sliding about spinning the wheels costing you speed and time.

To top it all off was the decision to kill the last forum off, all the player tips, hints, help, discussions, information, videos. Gone in a heartbeat. Good choice there......

In a nutshell, The decisions and direction CM chose over last 2-3 years have seen them go from a "must have/pre-order" to a "wait for the demo version, if no demo wait for the complete edition to arrive, (Subject to change dependant on user reviews).

yeah agree with guys above we have said all this things so many times but...i hope upcoming CM's game to be like the old ones (colin mac rae , toca ,etc) ....hi flaw , nice video rastus..:D

New news? Check back in a few weeks :)  In the mean time you may remember I put out the invite on the old forums to come visit the studio, see what we're working on. That offer still stands, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Oh we've listened, trust me when I say we've listened. Granted the proof is always going to be in the pudding as they say, can't wait to serve it myself :)

In reply to the question 'what you want to see from grid'  my answer in all honesty would be:

"To see your developers do things in a different way'

Yes yes, ill elaborate on that, but first i apologise for the dullness of my post in advance.
Stop reading now if you hate walls of words....as i do!!  begone.

Soooooo....at the moment, you [codemasters] have caught me at an opportune moment and im gonna spill my guts.
This aint gonna be about how handling should be, or what tracks shoud be included or how pretty graphics should be like this or like that.

Its about.....for want of a better explanation and a better likeness....letting us users...your twelfth man so to speak, becoming part of the team!

I see you recently said somewhere that your offer to goto your offices still stands....and thats commendable....but its not becoming part of the team no its not...its a day out in the sun [i bet it rains]

My view on the games i played that you produced:

Grid1 was brill, the game took over enough of my life to annoy the wife and my boss....which in my book, is a good measure. [wife is still with me god bless her, boss went long ago!].
I dont think to this day that you guys know how good you could of had it, if you had stuck to the grid1 design and just prettied it up...added some new cars, tracks etc.

The TOCA series, Race driver series...again, brilliant games, blighted only by lack of online play in the early days and poor online performance at times in the later days...neither of those things entirely your fault.

Even Dirt 1 and 2 was ok but im a lapper not a stage kinda guy, but you still got my money for those two games

When you properly announced grid 2, myself and A LOT of others were so lookin forward to it, it was hardly believeble at times...id liken it to waiting for star wars VII nowdays..or the next hobbit film, depending on your age.
When you released G2, we werent too happy, but thought youd patch out the problems...you never did for me no no...nor those others that i know who also bought in...we quit you!

The fall of CM for me was complete..it started with the switching off of the g1 servers, continued through the monotonous iterations of dirt and finished with G2.

If you want any of my advice on how to do G3 here goes.

1] announce it...soon, build the hype.
2] do your pre alpha /alpha smoke testing...get something useable.
3] make it closed beta for a select few....allow those select few to invite others for closed beta..get a community goin on the virtual track.
3a] make sure you listen 8D
4] make open beta...charge ifya like, but dont take the michael.
4a] make sure you listen 8P
5] release a great game, erase all memory of grid2, become great again.

fwiw, i play warframe now [its a ftp 3rd person shoota]..its currently open beta....and ya know what, its great...sure it might be a lil repetetive, but we get dev streams with yer actual devs....we get live streams where the community managers play with community people.....we feel part of the team...and we pay money every now and then also.

cmon..i dare you...I DOUBLE DARE YOU.....make a decent game again

disclaimer: must contain BTCC or variant, must include V8s or variant, may cause ill feeling at home, or at work, may cause premature aging and rage quitting, wear a helmet at all times.

I so like an optimist . . . I, too, am a dreamer, Terry . . .but, hey, tell it like it is, we are all totally addicted to Warframe . . Codemasters  . . . Codemasters who ?

Agree with all you've written . . . it's all so simple, wonder why CM had to complicate it ?

@Goonertez

Great post, thanks very much for that :)

"Its about.....for want of a better explanation and a better likeness....letting us users...your twelfth man so to speak, becoming part of the team!"
You already are, you just don't know it yet.

"I see you recently said somewhere that your offer to goto your offices still stands....and thats commendable....but its not becoming part of the team no its not...its a day out in the sun [i bet it rains]"
We've already had Community in looking at 'things', as above, that 12th man is in place. You're right, it probably would rain.

"cmon..i dare you...I DOUBLE DARE YOU.....make a decent game again"
Challenge accepted :)

Being part of the team is an interesting concept, it's actually something I've been pushing more and more internally so it's great that we are on the right track. You mean livestreams etc, all that's easily doable from our side but I want to take it further than that (and believe we already have). 

My goal moving forward is to have an open and honest relationship with you all, not just 'me' but from an entire Company level. We've got some exciting times ahead and I for one can't wait to be able to talk about the stuff that's going on here. 

End of the day I know it's just words and that you do feel that we've let you down. We know we have, we know we've got a long way to go to rebuild that trust and hand on heart I can say that there's things been going on behind the scenes that you will approve of. 

Can't say much else for now (trust me, it's just as frustrating for me as it is you), but when we can talk, it's going to be one hell of a discussion :)

Loore said:

Can't say much else for now (trust me, it's just as frustrating for me as it is you), but when we can talk, it's going to be one hell of a discussion :)
Starting the hype already eh, who you been listening to?

1] announce it...soon, build the hype.

You missed the above piece from Goonertez . . .

Sorry, Loore, but it's all platitudes . .we have heard similar words too many times, until you put something solid on the table CM remain the very tightly closed box of a company it has always been.

Did you miss the modern trend . . .company after company are launching paid for betas under the banner, "early access" . . but, hey, CM are proud of the fact that in their usual dogmatic fashion no-one, but no-one, shares in the development of a game . .so no beta involvement for us.

Although to be fair no-one would now pay CM for early access, hell, we paid for a finished game in Grid 2 and got a beta version so it's an uphill struggle just to get us to buy a future game.

Word of advice, if something doesn't work in one direction . .change direction. So why, Loore, are you insisting on going down the same path again . .openness starts here, drop the teasers, you played that game the last time and we got served crap so change direction . . if the company has a plan, a game, stop treating us like 10 years old kids . .we get enough of that with the puritanical PC censorship in this forum . . .