F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

What you want to see from GRID

wow nice drift dudes!! lol rastus its hard to drift with this camera...i prefered the chase view in grid 1 drift mode..=D>

Bitpoint you're dead right about precise throttle control being a key to drifting, thats what give the angle to the dangle (Groaaaan!).

Add in the various techniques to initiate a drift, 
Handbrake,
Lift off the throttle and throw a Scandinavian flick 
Clutch dumps, 
Downshift throttle blip and floor it,

All of them worked beautifully in Grid 1 with the assists off, they also worked in Dirt 3 for pulling off stuff like this
http://youtu.be/_JVbI4WtISM

Not so with either Grid 2, nor Dirt Showdown both felt.... like almost being divorced from the whole, interaction/decision making process required to react and then control what the car actually does at any given time. No ability to correct mid drift like in their respective predecessors.

wow nice drift dudes!! lol rastus its hard to drift with this camera...i prefered the chase view in grid 1 drift mode..=D>
Thnx dude I used bonnet cam as I want to be able to see where the car is pointing as well as where it is heading at all times, I can't compensate for the camera angles swaying about with chase cam. 

You'd probably get motion sickness if chase cam was nailed to the cars axis though so the sway is needed. plus it makes the angles look much bigger :D

Bitpoint you're dead right about precise throttle control being a key to drifting, thats what give the angle to the dangle (Groaaaan!).

Add in the various techniques to initiate a drift, 
Handbrake,
Lift off the throttle and throw a Scandinavian flick 
Clutch dumps, 
Downshift throttle blip and floor it,

All of them worked beautifully in Grid 1 with the assists off, they also worked in Dirt 3 for pulling off stuff like this
http://youtu.be/_JVbI4WtISM

Not so with either Grid 2, nor Dirt Showdown both felt.... like almost being divorced from the whole, interaction/decision making process required to react and then control what the car actually does at any given time. No ability to correct mid drift like in their respective predecessors.

my lovely old Mini Cooper....

i would like to see it in Grid Autolog this car!!
:x ^:)^

Not likely as Gymkhana was in Dirt not Grid.

Still the Dirt 3 60's Mini would be a blast to take out on ANY drift track, the short wheelbase, small size, light weight make for SERIOUS grins every time you let it loose :D

The Mini Cooper S is great fun in any racing game I've seen it in.  Should be worth a whole new championship just to get it in there.  Maybe a Party event.

In my innocence I never realized they could be used online in Dirt 3 and was bloody annoyed to find out people I know were using them.

Wasn't in sessions I hosted as I always turned it off.    :D

mcnab said:

3.No dlc mess

Specifically no track DLC. I don't really care about how many DLC cars there are as long as everyone can race together DLC or not.

ChokDK said:
Sorry about this post in advance..

I haven't done more than 60 min or so in GRID1 and 2, so I'm a "new user" for these games.
Even my interest has been really big till now, seeing this gets me reconsider to buy any GRID game.

@Zappac - I will no way doubt your skills at doing this, but this is not what I'm looking for, and I don't quite understand  (edit: understood) @Britpoint 's entusiasm on this one as a car handling game designer at a "semi-sim" game (sorry).

As I said - I'm sorry to write this post, but I guess I gotta wait and see now if there's any Early Acces, alpha testing or similar before I decide to buy or not.
Drifting, particularly in the Far Eastern countries, is a very serious driving discipline, and when you see people like Rastus and Zappac showing their skills people are doing the same in real life.  . . it's not another CM invention.

Again there is a lot of chat about; Sim, Arcade, Casual, Serious, etc., and if our original forum was still here everyone would see how much this has been covered before.

My position has never changed, "Arcade" does not automatically mean "Casual" . . . I play both Sim and Arcade and my degree of dedication/application/seriousness towards both remains the same.
Casual or Serious is purely down to the attitude of the player, not to the type of game . . . you can even be serious about Mario Kart, even though we do tend to use the title in a derogatory way.

However, CM throwing in gimmicks and leaving out essentials DOES make a game CASUAL by content.

There is an essential checklist, most of the Gridders know everything which should be on it, and which things should not. By not having everything the game is heading towards casual . . . this is where CM have their identity crises and at the moment seem to be sitting on the fence not wishing to lose the "hard core" (US) , and at the same time attract the new guys wandering in (THEM).

Its quite simple imo with the subject of DLC.  Instead of eking out every last drop from us from the start and causing resentment and splitting the online community with a car here, a track there, wait until 6 months after launch and release one large expansion.....maybe 6 new tracks (full tracks, not variations on release ones) and 10 new cars, for half the cost of the original game, and call it an expansion.  If the game is well received and proves popular in the first 6 months, I bet its almost guaranteed everyone would buy the expansion and we'd keep uniformity online.

All the immediate future plans have probably already been road mapped though, making any suggestion like the above a waste of time.

Its quite simple imo with the subject of DLC.  Instead of eking out every last drop from us from the start and causing resentment and splitting the online community with a car here, a track there, wait until 6 months after launch and release one large expansion.....maybe 6 new tracks (full tracks, not variations on release ones) and 10 new cars, for half the cost of the original game, and call it an expansion.  If the game is well received and proves popular in the first 6 months, I bet its almost guaranteed everyone would buy the expansion and we'd keep uniformity online.

All the immediate future plans have probably already been road mapped though, making any suggestion like the above a waste of time.
History suggests that to be true of everything here . .

History suggests that to be true of everything here .

If this is the case and im starting to think so too, then why has loore started this topic so late in devolopment??

mcnab said:

If this is the case and im starting to think so too, then why has loore started this topic so late in development??

Its for 'Grid Baddest of All 4', release date May 2015,  :)) because if we get all we want in this game they cant sell us another, unless they switch off the.....,    :-O , no no no, its to address our issues in the 1st patch of course   :)

I had the same thought. Game is 2 months before publishing and they are asking about feedback.
We often reach a point where we have time to put a feature into the game but only have two possible options, threads like this do help the decision.

They are also a great tool for when it comes to the final few weeks of the dev cycle, that's the time when we throw all those final tweaks and polish onto the game, again, the features that come up time and time again are the ones we can look to first.

So next time when you reach that point, why don't you tell us what are those possible options?

Was once text chat on a calender?

So next time when you reach that point, why don't you tell us what are those possible options?

Was once text chat on a calender?

there is nothing text chat because they took the board base from grid2, is not a coincidence that both games lack of that.
text chat must be done from scratch :)

How about a .pdf manual explaining how to use the Advanced controller settings for the newbs?  It took me quite a while to figure all that out when I started with GRID - it was only my second contemporary racing game, the first being NFS ProStreet and I was totally ignorant.  The one-liner explanations were woefully inadequate at the time.  Eventually figured it out through reading a lot of forum posts, but it shouldn't be that difficult.

And if you do that, a chapter on graphics settings and the relative importance of each in tuning for a less than stellar configuration.

Thanks.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.

Zappac said:
ChokDK said:
Okay both - sorry (again) :)
I guess I should stay out of those cars then :P
I did some offline laps at Yas Marina (great fun btw!) in GRID 1 when I tried it out lately, so yeah maybe there's "something for everyone" then I guess.
Variety is something which makes GRID such a great experience :)
That one the things that made GRID 1 a very good racing game offline and online, the variety of racing to chosse from. :)

Was not a "good" drifter in GRID 1, but I did like giving it a go. :)

This work well back in the old days before DLCs, I think it still will work well today. :)

Please Codemasters, do not do this again with DLCs and pre-order bonuses: :(

[quote=Purple44]
Here a great pic by Flumper to show how DLCs can't screw things up online for players that want to race DLCs online ( GRID 2 ):

[url=http://community.codemasters.com/t5/GRID-2-General-Discussion/Downloadable-content-required/m-p/402858/highlight/false#M26785][color=orange][b]Downloadable content required[/b][/color][/url]

[img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/664/oqvu.jpg[/img]

All the players in pic have the SPA track DLC, but can any of these players race the SPA track together?

Bugbear take note if decide to take the DLC route instead of using an expansion pack.
[/quote]

evanzo7 said:
Over time I will have more to say about this but the first thing the springs to my mind is the physics. 

I rarely played GRID 2 and I feel that was down to how the cars handled, I just did not enjoy it. The concept of the game as a whole I quite liked but the physics let it down for me.

I know it is an arcade game but it was "too arcadey" if you get what I mean. I remember doing a race on Brands racing in the Alfa Mito, one of my first races on the game, and there is me racing the racing line perfect, getting the apexs and everything until suddenly this guy in another Mito comes drifting round my outside at easily twice my speed and steams off into the distance. After seeing this I tried to replicate that and sure enough drifting a FWD car round a corner at twice the speed you should be going seems to work perfect.

That is just one of a number of things I personally feel let the game down and if the physics could be sorted than that is a massive step forward. 
Absolutely agree. You cant get a room together of proper racers because there is always that 1 person that will do whatever to win. Drifting is garbage. Grid 2 should have been named Grid Showdown. Not sure if I can chance another let down. Codemasters is going backwards with almost all their games. Cant host league races cuz no one interested in a demo derby league. F1 2013 is great but no one bought it because of damage done to all other codemaster games. May just wait for ps plus to give it free. Will rent it to give a try but not getting my hopes up.

To add to above. Driving games should be better on steering wheel. Grid 2 was garbage, in general, but even still with the wheel. Why spend money on a wheel when you can drift better and faster on a pad. We don't want to drift. We want to race.

To add to above. Driving games should be better on steering wheel. Grid 2 was garbage, in general, but even still with the wheel. Why spend money on a wheel when you can drift better and faster on a pad. We don't want to drift. We want to race.
Well, I do want to drift. But I suppose you meant that as in: you want to race properly when you want to and not drift because you have to (GRID 2)