Sign in to follow this  

What you want to see from GRID

On the other hand, why bother.
There are descent racers out there already, which gives you just as good thrill as G1 used to do (if not better)

Rfactor
Race 07
Assetto Corsa
Project C.A.R.S.

Yeah, they're sims but there are a lot of setups on the web that lets you go well within 5% of the top times...if u practise of course, but thats a fact for the more arcadeish games as well.
Lately I've mostly been racing WTCC2007 on Race07 and very often there's 25 racers in a 8-lapper and it's a ball. Sometimes your fast and can fight for podium and sometimes it's just a struggle to avoid last place, but the thrill is there no matter where you are.
J O I N !
:)   :)

1] announce it...soon, build the hype.

You missed the above piece from Goonertez . . .

Sorry, Loore, but it's all platitudes . .we have heard similar words too many times, until you put something solid on the table CM remain the very tightly closed box of a company it has always been.

Did you miss the modern trend . . .company after company are launching paid for betas under the banner, "early access" . . but, hey, CM are proud of the fact that in their usual dogmatic fashion no-one, but no-one, shares in the development of a game . .so no beta involvement for us.

Although to be fair no-one would now pay CM for early access, hell, we paid for a finished game in Grid 2 and got a beta version so it's an uphill struggle just to get us to buy a future game.

Word of advice, if something doesn't work in one direction . .change direction. So why, Loore, are you insisting on going down the same path again . .openness starts here, drop the teasers, you played that game the last time and we got served crap so change direction . . if the company has a plan, a game, stop treating us like 10 years old kids . .we get enough of that with the puritanical PC censorship in this forum . . .
Cap, you're intelligent enough to know people can't just announce things as and when. Once a game is announced I'm positive it'll be a whole different ball game. No-one shares in a games development? Not true, we've had multiple people from the Community in already at multiple times since the Autumn of last year...I did offer you a place to those days :)

Loore said:
1] announce it...soon, build the hype.

You missed the above piece from Goonertez . . .

Sorry, Loore, but it's all platitudes . .we have heard similar words too many times, until you put something solid on the table CM remain the very tightly closed box of a company it has always been.

Did you miss the modern trend . . .company after company are launching paid for betas under the banner, "early access" . . but, hey, CM are proud of the fact that in their usual dogmatic fashion no-one, but no-one, shares in the development of a game . .so no beta involvement for us.

Although to be fair no-one would now pay CM for early access, hell, we paid for a finished game in Grid 2 and got a beta version so it's an uphill struggle just to get us to buy a future game.

Word of advice, if something doesn't work in one direction . .change direction. So why, Loore, are you insisting on going down the same path again . .openness starts here, drop the teasers, you played that game the last time and we got served crap so change direction . . if the company has a plan, a game, stop treating us like 10 years old kids . .we get enough of that with the puritanical PC censorship in this forum . . .
Cap, you're intelligent enough to know people can't just announce things as and when. Once a game is announced I'm positive it'll be a whole different ball game. No-one shares in a games development? Not true, we've had multiple people from the Community in already at multiple times since the Autumn of last year...I did offer you a place to those days :)
And I'm old school, if I'm in your house I know my manners so would nod in appropriate places and that would be that. . . which is what I previously told you.

I'm talking about, Pre-alphas, alphas, betas . . . I've taken part in enough to know what value we are to the company.

What I'm saying is the old party line will do you more damage than good because we have heard it all before . . .and then got dumped on from a great height.

I do not have an autonomous, inherent existence so what I think many others will also think and so I can say two things to you; unless you have a magical wand and can conjure up a potent potion the masses will torrent any future racing game from you before they decide to buy, second; You cannot afford to get the dlc wrong again, we all threw our money away on something we couldn't use . .and this isn't the first time with CM dlc.

If you do get it wrong again it doesn't necessarily mean you didn't listen to us . . it could just as easily mean you couldn't understand us, which would mean the company and the players are on two different wave lengths . . so where the hell would you go from there ?

I'm hoping the reticence on your part is more to do with something like licensing issues than deciding on a Dirt or Grid game and before declaring what's what you want to build a wall of BS first.

Reflect on this: Warframe expenditure = £215  . .and I don't regret a single penny as I, and others on our site, have been playing virtually every day since last Oct., that's what a winning game can get from us . .and Warframe is one hell of a complicated and challenging game.

Maria Miller spouted BS after BS and not one ounce of regret over diddling her expenses . . . and even after resignation the only thing she is sorry about is getting caught.
As far as I'm concerned the writing was on the wall the moment she got caught and Cameron was only playing for time with his comments.

The situation between CM and its fan base is very similar because both situations are built on trust . . .lose that and you get an epidemic of the disillusioned, and people hate to be made to feel like mugs, they don't forget.

There are many who agree with McRoss . . . and like Gooner said, "you lost us", and many agree with that . . . look, we are posting here because we have misplaced faith that a miracle can happen, we have been here for years, me 2008, Gooner something like 2003 or 2004, but you have still lost us, we moved on . . .

In a business sense maybe that is a good thing, you can start again with a whole load of new people, as long as you can tempt them in, in the first place . . . which is easier, getting the deserters to return, or starting again . . without all those mistakes and bad choices . .

Something I'd like you to think about, Loore, because of the way Grid 1 was presented to us the majority of us formed good relationships with a hell of a lot of people, this is why we all moved together to subsequent games. But bit by bit CM eroded that unique condition by destroying our communication system and replacing it with crap . . . fast forward and by the time we get to Grid 2 all communication is dead.

On our gaming site we have a lot of the original Gridders as members, although only a handful of regulars because of no Grid. If a 1st class Grid appeared again I know we would have to increase seats on our TS.

You ignored and ignored, for years, all our requests to have our Grid 1 communication back . .so why the hell didn't we get it ?

Many have already told you, all we want is a tarted up Grid 1, improved gfx, new tracks, new cars . . .we don't want all that gimmicky crap you keep telling us is what we want . . put it in another game, Grid is a hybrid, that game called Grid 2 never deserved that title, it's not a GRID game . . sit down, play some Grid 1, get the feel of it, realize the unique magic of it . . tap into what the phenomenon is all about . . and then replicate it for us . .and you'll have a winner.

De ja vous, but Ill ask again, will simple keypress text chat be included in future codemasters games or not, and if not why not?. If its something to do with censorship, PEGI , DRM, swear content or whatever, please let us know so we can suggest ways of implementation rather than exclusion.

Loggy said:
De ja vous, but Ill ask again, will simple keypress text chat be included in future codemasters games or not, and if not why not?. If its something to do with censorship, PEGI , DRM, swear content or whatever, please let us know so we can suggest ways of implementation rather than exclusion.
Text chat is something we'd love to get in to any of our future games, we know it something that has been requested in the past. As always though it's a fight between resource and what other features are waiting to get in the game. Side issue but there is always a design point of view as well, especially from a UI perspective were as the online menus are created with multiple platforms in mind, if we ever did text chat it'd most likely only be on PC so we'd have to take that into consideration. 

As far as I'm aware there is no censorship, PEGI, DRM etc reason, if we can do it, we will.

I hope the news in a few weeks time comes across a lot more positive than 'we will if we can'.  Because that invariably means 'they didn't', especially if its a feature just for the PC.

Loore said:
Loggy said:
Text chat is something we'd love to get in to any of our future games, we know it something that has been requested in the past. As always though it's a fight between resource and what other features are waiting to get in the game. Side issue but there is always a design point of view as well, especially from a UI perspective were as the online menus are created with multiple platforms in mind, if we ever did text chat it'd most likely only be on PC so we'd have to take that into consideration. 

As far as I'm aware there is no censorship, PEGI, DRM etc reason, if we can do it, we will.
Obviously PC as we have the keyboards, though I wouldnt say its been requested, it should never have been overlooked and discarded - swapped for a rabbit running across the track :) Id say it is an essential part of online PC gaming. 
So thats a yes it will be in Codemasters PC titles in the future? Good news.
Plain and simple like Grid 1 will do.

Loggy said:
Loore said:
Loggy said:

Obviously PC as we have the keyboards, though I wouldnt say its been requested, it should never have been overlooked and discarded - swopped for a rabbit running across the track :) Id say it is an essential part of online PC gaming. 
Maybe 95% of players wanted that rabbit though ;).

I don't personally read that as a 'yes' at all to be honest.

Loggy said:
Loore said:
Loggy said:

Obviously PC as we have the keyboards, though I wouldnt say its been requested, it should never have been overlooked and discarded - swopped for a rabbit running across the track :) Id say it is an essential part of online PC gaming. 
It's not a guarantee, it's a 'it'll be on our list of features to support'. I play PC as my primary platform so I'm with you on it, I want PC text chat as much as you guys do.

If we can do it, we will. It's not something we actively set out to say "we're never doing this". When we come into a project we always have a list of features that we want, and as with any software development it's all about picking the ones you know are going to be completed in the time frame you've got.

Loore said:
Loggy said:

Dear oh dear . . . looks as though we are off to a loser before we even start.

Tell me,Loore, and I'm not being funny here, if you cannot see just how important text chat is to the PC players you have no chance of understanding anything we write, this is already starting to come across as same old, same old, even down to consoles getting first consideration, as in, " if we ever did text chat it'd most likely only be on PC so we'd have to take that into consideration", which is saying, no chance.

Tell me, Loore, and be honest here, were you around for Grid 1 ? . .because if you were you couldn't fail to see the reams and reams of constant chat . . . we are people gaming together, don't you get it, text chat joins us together and is a very big part of the experience. Take that away and all we have is detached from the full experience racing. . .and you want us to believe you are listening, sorry, it ain't happening . . .

Y'know, you really do find it easy to insult our intelligence, as if the only brains around are at CM, because when you start talking about other features to get in, and "resources", for god's sake, man . .in Grid 2 almost everything which should have been in was left out . . . so if you intend building a full game how much "room" and coding effort does it take ? . . It was in Grid 1 on PC so where is the problem.

As I see it we are already receiving all the wrong signals  . . .

Loore said:
Loggy said:
Loore said:
Loggy said:

It's not a guarantee, it's a 'it'll be on our list of features to support'. I play PC as my primary platform so I'm with you on it, I want PC text chat as much as you guys do.

If we can do it, we will. It's not something we actively set out to say "we're never doing this". When we come into a project we always have a list of features that we want, and as with any software development it's all about picking the ones you know are going to be completed in the time frame you've got.
Ill forego OTT smoke effects, moving trains, running rabbits, and airplanes with contrails for text chat as I'm sure many others will, it is an essential feature for a popular title, a must be included or else - do or die kind of thing, a feature we want.

I hope the news in a few weeks time comes across a lot more positive than 'we will if we can'.  Because that invariably means 'they didn't', especially if its a feature just for the PC.
Hi Joe . . .

Do you remember all those long months before the launch of Grid 2, all us good little chappies playing ball and asking would we be getting this and that, getting fobbed off with a swerve from the main point.
Then, when the game was launched, the money banked, we discovered why we never got a straight answer . . . loggy is right, Deja Vu, as we get led by the nose yet again . . . well, not for me, I'm with Gooner and McRoss . .
 No text communication coming so whatever is on the way good luck to whoever but it's not on my buy list, and there is only so many times one can repeat the same request list, one similar from all of us, so at this time there is no more to be said . . .

@CaptainJack

No matter what we write, say or tell you’ll only ever see the answer that allows you vent. Which is cool, I get that we’ve hurt your trust and I totally get that.

Tell me,Loore, and I'm not being funny here, if you cannot see just how important text chat is to the PC players you have no chance of understanding anything we write.

I’ll take that as a bit of an insult if I’m honest, I know full well what the GRID Community want and anyone that knows me will tell you that what the Community want will always come first.

This is already starting to come across as same old, same old, even down to consoles getting first consideration, as in, " if we ever did text chat it'd most likely only be on PC so we'd have to take that into consideration", which is saying, no chance.

Nope, I was being open and honest with you. Would you prefer me to just say “sorry, we can’t talk about that” or worse, nothing at all?

Tell me, Loore, and be honest here, were you around for Grid 1 ? . .because if you were you couldn't fail to see the reams and reams of constant chat . . .

I wasn’t at Codemasters back then but I did play the first GRID, online racing wasn’t my thing back then so you’ll have to forgive me but I wasn’t a regular online back in the day, I was much more a fan of local multiplayer. As I said above though, I am a PC gamer by default, I know how important a text chat is.

Y'know, you really do find it easy to insult our intelligence, as if the only brains around are at CM, because when you start talking about other features to get in, and "resources", for god's sake, man . .in Grid 2 almost everything which should have been in was left out . . . so if you intend building a full game how much "room" and coding effort does it take ? . . It was in Grid 1 on PC so where is the problem.

Not insulted anyone’s intelligence, again, you’re looking for that. It’s not as simple as taking code from a game from 2008 and dumping it into another, I’m pretty sure our programmers would love it if that were true.

As for how much coding effort does it take? You’d be surprised. Factor in design, then all the UI side, then the actual implementation into the game, followed by QA and it soon adds up and you’re looking at potentially weeks of work. That has to be balanced against the entire project and sometimes things sadly don’t get included.

As for GRID 2, we know what we we’ve got a lot to prove, it wasn’t the game ‘you’ wanted, we’ve got no problem admitting that. We also know the best way to make it up to you would to give you the game you want.

As I see it we are already receiving all the wrong signals  . . .

That’s your opinion, I’d probably wait until we announce a new game though before you make any snap judgements, maybe that’d be the best time to judge us.

Hi again here Jack, Terry, Johan, Miatakias, Loggy...

Just what i expected, nothing changed. I guess Loore's doing his thing....same thing he had been doing before G2. 

Considering text chat - it's simple: a Buy or No Buy thing. If you really take our feedback seriously, as you trying to convince us here, Loore, then text chat is one of the first features you should confirm when presenting eventual new game.

Another funny thing is that you, Loore, tryin to convince us that text chat is so PC feature only when i am text chatting every single day when i am racing in GT6 on my PS3, LOL.

Just what i expected, nothing changed. I guess Loore's doing his thing....same thing he had been doing before G2. 

Considering text chat - it's simple: a Buy or No Buy thing. If you really take our feedback seriously, as you trying to convince us here, Loore, then text chat is one of the first features you should confirm when presenting eventual new game.

Another funny thing is that you, Loore, tryin to convince us that text chat is so PC feature when i am text chatting every single day when i race on GT6 on my PS3, LOL.

For us it would be classed as primarily a PC only feature. Sure if there was demand to get it onto Consoles then great but as of now we'd look at it from a PC only standpoint to begin with.

Loore said:

Another funny thing is that you, Loore, tryin to convince us that text chat is so PC feature when i am text chatting every single day when i race on GT6 on my PS3, LOL.

For us it would be classed as primarily a PC only feature. Sure if there was demand to get it onto Consoles then great but as of now we'd look at it from a PC only standpoint to begin with.

IMO those "woulds" just suggest that there will be NO text chat. It seems that you haven't even thought about it in first place.

Well, GT6 here I come again :)

Why not actually take a lead with 'build it and they will come'.  I don't know the first thing about the new consoles capabilities (or the old ones come to that), but I bet they all support keyboards of some kind or other.  Educate the people that text chat is a lot less intrusive with a bunch of strangers than having to listen to someone's home life in the background through their microphone.  The number of numpties who left their mic's on in Grid 2...sheesh..

Of course you can plug keys to consoles. And text chat is a feature that all ppl online use on a daily basis.

As Loore said text chat has been thought about, he gave you an honest answer and he didn't say there will be no text chat. 

We've not even announced a game yet and already a lot of you guys are on the attack to a point where you are starting to get a little personal over it.

This thread is called "What you want to see from GRID" not "The GRID 2 Post-mortem".

GRID 2 happened and you're going to need to deal with that, a lot of people really enjoyed it, we enjoyed making it, I loved working on it and I don't feel like we ever hid anything in it from you. But some people felt let down and thats OK, we've learnt from it and now we all (us and you) need to move on.

If you have something that you would like to see us do in the next GRID then we are all ears and this is the place to talk about it, if you want to run a post-mortem on GRID 2 contain it all in another thread please and stop poisoning the rest of the forums.

Ok, to make it clear, we want text chat in the next iteration of Grid, Toca, or whatever else it might be called this time.

thanks ;)

Ok, to make it clear, we want text chat in the next iteration of Grid, Toca, or whatever else it might be called this time.

thanks ;)
Consider it on the list and it will be the first thing @Loore talks to the team about again in the morning :)

As Loore said text chat has been thought about, he gave you an honest answer and he didn't say there will be no text chat. 

We've not even announced a game yet and already a lot of you guys are on the attack to a point where you are starting to get a little personal over it.

This thread is called "What you want to see from GRID" not "The GRID 2 Post-mortem".

GRID 2 happened and you're going to need to deal with that, a lot of people really enjoyed it, we enjoyed making it, I loved working on it and I don't feel like we ever hid anything in it from you. But some people felt let down and thats OK, we've learnt from it and now we all (us and you) need to move on.

If you have something that you would like to see us do in the next GRID then we are all ears and this is the place to talk about it, if you want to run a post-mortem on GRID 2 contain it all in another thread please and stop poisoning the rest of the forums.

We already forgot about Grid 2. We are talking about new game and your Codies approach to so called players' feedback. 

I'm happy for you that you have a job you love, not everybody has so. Last three games, i spent my hard earned money on, have not been worthy that, so now i feel i have right to moan a bit. 

Another funny thing is that you, Loore, tryin to convince us that text chat is so PC feature only when i am text chatting every single day when i am racing in GT6 on my PS3, LOL.

'allo me ol' flowa . . .

Looks like the state of play is come back in a few weeks or months when we get told what is happening . . .

For sure, no text chat like Grid 1 streaming down the left side, not those ridiculous boxes in Dirt 2,  and it's a no buy from me.
Half the content missing like in Grid 2 and it's a no buy from me.
Useless dlc and it's a no buy from me (that one actually works because it's already a no buy from me on launch of anything from CM so waiting to see what the state of play with dlc is, is very easy).

I, and masses of others, know racing games . . time for us to stand up and use our knowledge when assessing whatever CM come up with, and if it doesn't come up to the mark so be it, there are plenty of racing games around.

i agree with captainJack abotu what he said....we want games like old colin macrae ,toca series and grid 1.....i am not gonna buy a too aracde game like grid 2...

about text chat i can not understand why is so difficult to be added....and yes in grid 1 but also in toca 3 the half of the toal time i was playing  , chatting ..lol many poor games or indie game etc support chat (menus , ingame) why not CM's expenisve pruductions like formula 1 seires and Grid 2....