Sign in to follow this  

What you want to see from GRID

GAS is not going to fail! It will bring back quite a few players. I have been a long time player of Codemasters games and GRID2 was the first one I skipped from the evolved "toca/racedriver" series. 

GAS is going back to what Codies is good at: Delivering an autosport experience! Sure there will be points of improvements but it's with every release like that. It's just the way all has been communicated, the transparancy, the admitting of making an error, the clear no nonsense presentation, the interaction with the community etc etc that just gives me lot of faith. I truly believe it will be a serious racing bomb on the pre-gen consoles and it will be a game that probably brightens the future for some extra ordinary racers from Codies in the (near) future. 

RubyRuby said:
@ Cap Jack:

". . . then you also have detected some merit"

Sure have, enough that I want to play the game and that I believe from the evidence at hand that it will be worth the freight.  But there's still room for reservations, criticism and disappointment.  Won't be the perfect GRID sequel of course.  Even GRID has never been perfect, but it is my yardstick.  I'm pretty sure I'll still have criticism of GRID A even while I'm enjoying it, and I'll post the good along with the bad right here (or on the next Codies forum).  For me as a single player the true test is how long I will be playing it.  I have a lot of games, good and bad, that I don't play any more.  Still playing GRID after almost six years.  It will be interesting to see if I continue once I've put some time into GRID A.

I believe GRID: Autosport is going to be at least a pretty good game, and maybe a lot better than that - for single players.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.
I'd say that the positive ones here are going on a gut feeling about this game, interesting, could we all be wrong ?

For the first time in many years Purple is even being somewhat positive about it, could that be an indicator ?

After the debacle of Grid 2 I think that maybe we are of the mind that, well, it couldn't be worse than that ?

I think most of the questionable stuff is mostly multiplayer this time as I think from what I've seen and heard that the positivity is mostly coming out of the single player camp which is great for those of us who spend most of our time in the offline career mode of the game. I think though some people still do have question arks over the multi player part. As I don't make use of multiplayer features this doesn't bother me but the single player stuff does and to me at least from @Loore and @justbiglee's standpoint they've made the right noises that I wanted to hear in order to convince me to get the game  I know it's their job to promote the companies work. But for me they've made the right convincing noises that makes me want to buy the product they're selling
Used Car salesmen, double glazing salesmen, etc., have a lot to answer for . . .

Aren't we all a bit defensive when it comes to passing over money for a product ? I mean, no-one likes feeling the fool for being ripped off.

There are sales people who do care that we get a good product and those who couldn't give a damn just as long as they get the money.
We have certainly attacked CM with being the latter . .

So now it becomes a personal decision, do we believe and trust Loore ?

For my part I say Loore has put his whole credibility firmly on the line, he comes across as a guy who believes in the product, which is as good as it can get, and good enough for me.

Say it fails ! . .so what, how many times have we tried and failed to achieve something ? something we gave our all to, can't knock a guy for that . . .and don't forget, Loore is just a guy, he's not his job, that is what he does, let's not confuse the two.
I agree and this is a question we have to ask ourselves in that do we trust them enough not to make the same mistake twice?  Generally I have to say in my opinion I do because CM have in general have made more games that I do enjoy playing than games that I haven't  and I've owned and played many over the years (and this is always going to work in their favour) which to me indicates that generally they care about their products. They know mistakes were made last year with Grid 2 and F1 2013 I would put in that category too it was all in all a bad and unlucky year for CM but it sounds to me that they're now obviously very keen to try and put that right with Autosport. I think they will they're just too smart to slip up again especially as prior to 2013 all  their games have been pretty high quality. They said that they've listened and judging by Autosport's features that they've released it certainly appears to me that they have. The only unfortunate thing here is until we have the game in our hands we can't know for certain but for now like you I believe them.

I'm not one to sh*t on whoever.
Seems to me we lost gud ol' captain though - either to blind hope or bought fanboyism. If it's none of the 2 then I'll start worrying.
I won't start quoting all the wrong arguments I heard, too tired & lazy for that.
Should I wait for the text chat as an add-on?
No, CM will wait for me before I buy the game.
I heard not only of no spectate, but of no countdown in the lobby while you wait.
Should I pre-order and wait for a patch?
No.
Does this sound like a broken record?
Well, how many times do you have to sound like a broken record when you converse with deaf people?
One might as well stop talking when one isn't heard.
I'll open my wallet when not only the game will provide what it promises, but when as well I'll get what seems now to be patches afterwards.
Isn't Greed 2 demolition still waiting to be patched?

I can be patient.
I can wait.

I will.

P308R said:
GAS is not going to fail! It will bring back quite a few players. I have been a long time player of Codemasters games and GRID2 was the first one I skipped from the evolved "toca/racedriver" series. 

GAS is going back to what Codies is good at: Delivering an autosport experience! Sure there will be points of improvements but it's with every release like that. It's just the way all has been communicated, the transparancy, the admitting of making an error, the clear no nonsense presentation, the interaction with the community etc etc that just gives me lot of faith. I truly believe it will be a serious racing bomb on the pre-gen consoles and it will be a game that probably brightens the future for some extra ordinary racers from Codies in the (near) future. 

+ 1

Muckymu . . . sorry, man, but your format is too dated, it's the style of dated forums . . . I've moved on.

Making it "them and us" and continually being on the attack for no reason isn't me, and if you think it is you missed the point of my posts.
It has always been about responding in a relevant way to how we get treated, and for years we have been treated like shit, so I replied accordingly. Now, there is contrition and humility in the equation when CM finally have a revelation and understand better the situation.
If a guy says sorry why would we then want to continue in the old way, makes no sense . . .unless we like to wallow in bringing misery to the table all the time. . .and being pigheaded gets us nowhere so maybe we aren't the deaf ones here.

Thing is, let's say this game delivers and online brings just the kind of experience we are happy with . . . my money says you will have the game in the blink of an eye . . . bit like Assie, and his "negative" stance on buying it, lol . . .
:-??

P308R said:

+ 1

Muckymu . . . sorry, man, but your format is too dated, it's the style of dated forums . . . I've moved on.

Making it "them and us" and continually being on the attack for no reason isn't me, and if you think it is you missed the point of my posts.
It has always been about responding in a relevant way to how we get treated, and for years we have been treated like shit, so I replied accordingly. Now, there is contrition and humility in the equation when CM finally have a revelation and understand better the situation.
If a guy says sorry why would we then want to continue in the old way, makes no sense . . .unless we like to wallow in bringing misery to the table all the time. . .and being pigheaded gets us nowhere so maybe we aren't the deaf ones here.

Thing is, let's say this game delivers and online brings just the kind of experience we are happy with . . . my money says you will have the game in the blink of an eye . . . bit like Assie, and his "negative" stance on buying it, lol . . .
Looks like another point to the captain :D

Gud ol captain, I'm not sure my comments are dated.
There's no me and them, or them and us, or whatever.
If a guy apologizes, I wait for the apology - I don't presume it.
I do appreciate the intention and far away from me the idea to abuse it
I can see the intention - I do appreciate it too.
I know what it is as well to talk to deaf people, and I do see it too.
I do not keep my pants on just to argue, I keep them because I walk my talk.

RubyRuby said:
@ Cap Jack:

". . . then you also have detected some merit"

Sure have, enough that I want to play the game and that I believe from the evidence at hand that it will be worth the freight.  But there's still room for reservations, criticism and disappointment.  Won't be the perfect GRID sequel of course.  Even GRID has never been perfect, but it is my yardstick.  I'm pretty sure I'll still have criticism of GRID A even while I'm enjoying it, and I'll post the good along with the bad right here (or on the next Codies forum).  For me as a single player the true test is how long I will be playing it.  I have a lot of games, good and bad, that I don't play any more.  Still playing GRID after almost six years.  It will be interesting to see if I continue once I've put some time into GRID A.

I believe GRID: Autosport is going to be at least a pretty good game, and maybe a lot better than that - for single players.

Frank
I'd say that the positive ones here are going on a gut feeling about this game, interesting, could we all be wrong ?

For the first time in many years Purple is even being somewhat positive about it, could that be an indicator ?

After the debacle of Grid 2 I think that maybe we are of the mind that, well, it couldn't be worse than that ?

I'm glad to see Codemasters making a good effort at trying to make a GRID that the GRID 1 fan base will like and have been waiting to many years for. I can see GRID Autosport delivering a good experience offline, but I have been an online for the last 9 years and have seen to many racing games fail online. From what I have seen so far, I only give GRID A online 50/50 chance of having a robust online community after Christmas. I can see GRID A failing like GRID 2 did online, just maybe not failing as bad, but still not having the longevity of a GRID 1 or a Flatout 2.

I have learn my lessons over the years, so now I will never buy a PC racing game on release day if there no text chat for online ( that includes The Crew ). And without a demo or beta to try, odds are pretty slim I will pre-order a racing game. No pre-order bonus going win me over.

GRID 1 was my first Codemasters racing game and I was in love with the great racing, offline ( only the second racing game that I have finish the career mode ) and online and in 2008 the eye candy blew me away with my 8800. I was a Codemasters fan until DIRT 2 and GFWL divide the online community and Codies kept on making bad decisions, like DIRT Showdown and screwing up the online in GRID 2 big time. Codemasters has lost my trust over the years.

Leaving text chat out again after all the complaining of text chat missing from GRID 2, Codemasters has still not earn my trust back! :(

I guess Codies did not read my

Multiplayer Do's and Don'ts.

thread I wrote last summer after what I saw happen to GRID 2 online. I posted this thread at Bugbear, Refract, Stainless and Ivory Tower forums to make sure they did not repeat the mistakes of  Codemasters, Asobo Studio, Eden Games, Bizarre Creations and EA Black Box.

@purple44

Well from your position it is near impossible to like codemasters games considering your first game was their last good one and their focus has always been heavily on offline over online and I don't see it changing anytime soon. The majority of players don't play online and well you know what codemasters are like when things are in the minority. ;)

Even GRID doesn't stack up well against the race driver series (TOCA) bar the visuals.

Magic Genie. Three wishes please.

1) Pit Stops
2) Pit Stops options that are relevant to car class
3) Penalty system

I know it's late in the game, but this should have been a no brainer. Racing cannot exist in real life without these, save possibly #2, except even damaged cars can come in for repair in any series.

If you want pit stops stick to F1. 

Grid never had pit stops, nor did it have tunable/moddable cars, this was what made it such a success, a simple game with identical cars for all players creating an even playing field, (aside from control methods used).

Once you start down the whole modding pit stops route then you enter Sim territory, Grid never claimed to be a sim, why does everyone want to push it in that direction.

On top of that you get a divide between those who know all you need to know about setting up cars and, those who don't have a clue what Camber is and how it benefits cornering at the expense of straight line acceleration.

Not everyone wants (or has the time) to spend hours practicing each track to attain the perfect settings for each track. This was Grids attraction for the masses and kept people playing it for years (many still do).

I said not long after Grid 2's launch the handling model would kill the game online. I wasn't strictly correct but considering that the still unfinished, Assetto Corsa has been beating Grid 2 for player numbers since online MP went live it probably won't be long before it does die a digital death.

Yes Assetto is a sim, I play it myself, and yes I DO enjoy and know how to setup the cars to my taste, yet I played Grid for 1000's of hours just because it wasn't a sim, yet it still created a good imitation of motorsports and the intensity involved in close quater racing.

If I wanted a more sim like experience I could turn the assists off or join an Assists off session. Still in standardised cars so no one has an immediate advantage. This was the essence of Grids success, simplicity and an even playing field.

CaptainJack said:. bit like Assie, and his "negative" stance on buying it, lol . . .
Well I like everything I heard and was very close to pre-order the game.
Even while my position was no trying no buying after the grid2 debacle,
Then they showed a movie with incar cam and that disapointed me so much I indeed went for negative buying status.
And I really cant tell now if i can over look that, for now I can not over look that.
When playing solo I like to use incar cam without hud and with trackir.
And with that idiotic blur they added to the incar cam and no working mirrors, they made that impossible.
Meaning I cant play the game as I like to play it.
So that I have a negative buying status atm isn't that strange.
I have to wait till I can play the game to see if the game is good enough so I can overlook the fact that they screwed up the incar cam in my view.
So for now it is still negative and try before I buy.
I am not gonna pay for a game if I cant play it the way I want.

muckymu said:
Gud ol captain, I'm not sure my comments are dated.
There's no me and them, or them and us, or whatever.
If a guy apologizes, I wait for the apology - I don't presume it.
I do appreciate the intention and far away from me the idea to abuse it
I can see the intention - I do appreciate it too.
I know what it is as well to talk to deaf people, and I do see it too.
I do not keep my pants on just to argue, I keep them because I walk my talk.
Good for you, a man should follow what he believes in.
However, if you give only 2 possibilities for my change in direction - fanboy or bought - and both are wrong, then all which follows is going to be wrong.

I, too, walk the walk, but flexibility means I change direction when it makes good sense to do so.
We have an expression in Buddhism; "you can never wash the same dirty hands in the same running river [water]", everything is always in a state of moving on, of change, so attachment and aversion are to be avoided.

It's funny, I change direction and the first reaction from most is anything but considering, "keep your friends close, but . . . .".
Although that phrase doesn't apply it would have been more balanced had some considered it.

As for the apology, I presumed nothing, we had it . .  

8->

CaptainJack said:. bit like Assie, and his "negative" stance on buying it, lol . . .
Then they showed a movie with incar cam and that disapointed me so much I indeed went for negative buying status.
And I really cant tell now if i can over look that, for now I can not over look that.
And with that idiotic blur they added to the incar cam and no working mirrors, they made that impossible.
I have to wait till I can play the game to see if the game is good enough so I can overlook the fact that they screwed up the incar cam in my view.

Hahahaha . . . I've been expecting a response to me mentioning "negative".

When you told me on TS about incar I must admit that point was something I hadn't thought about, but is totally correct, remove the hud and you need to be able to see the speedo.

I hope CM are taking notes; clearer incar, spectate, text chat, because those of us who are showing faith are basing it all on driving physics with the possibility of the other stuff coming later . . .or being included in a future game.

You told me you are happy to put up with dated graphics in Race On because the driving and gameplay is just how you like it, and this is what I'm looking for in GAS, that "good" feeling when the car goes exactly where I point it, that is the first principle of the enjoyment of driving games. I spent my money based soley on that, when/if that is in place we can worry about the rest later . . . waiting six years to get something is better than getting nothing.

As for "faith" ? . .let's not forget, for years, all the posts complaining that it was Dirt, Dirt, and more Dirt . . .where the hell was Grid.
Now, within 12 months, we get a partially corrected Grid, but partially corrected towards our requests . . . so reflect on what must have gone on for this to happen ?
It hasn't just been about CM seeing the need to do the correction, but also to do it bloody fast, which would impact on how much stuff could go in . . .  

Anyone for a cup of char ?
~O)

Hahahaha . . . I've been expecting a response to me mentioning "negative".

When you told me on TS about incar I must admit that point was something I hadn't thought about, but is totally correct, remove the hud and you need to be able to see the speedo.

I hope CM are taking notes; clearer incar, spectate, text chat, because those of us who are showing faith are basing it all on driving physics with the possibility of the other stuff coming later . . .or being included in a future game.

You told me you are happy to put up with dated graphics in Race On because the driving and gameplay is just how you like it, and this is what I'm looking for in GAS, that "good" feeling when the car goes exactly where I point it, that is the first principle of the enjoyment of driving games. I spent my money based soley on that, when/if that is in place we can worry about the rest later . . . waiting six years to get something is better than getting nothing.

As for "faith" ? . .let's not forget, for years, all the posts complaining that it was Dirt, Dirt, and more Dirt . . .where the hell was Grid.
Now, within 12 months, we get a partially corrected Grid, but partially corrected towards our requests . . . so reflect on what must have gone on for this to happen ?
It hasn't just been about CM seeing the need to do the correction, but also to do it bloody fast, which would impact on how much stuff could go in . . .  

Anyone for a cup of char ?
~O)

I'm up for the cup of char.

Why are we here ? Because we all love codemasters games.

I don't see my purchase of a game as just for the game itself, but as an investment for future games. I do of course have some sympathy for people who for cash is tight and cannot take the longer term perspective.

What would hurt me more is if there was never another game that felt as good as dirt 3 etc

Demand the best. Expect something approaching that.

GAS looks like a big improvement. They got my po.

My gut feel is that this is going to be a great racer, it won't have everything I want, but a step in the right direction is what counts more than anything else. Commercial pressure is brutal and forces choices that are difficult.

My feeling is though from what I have seen far we are going to get something good. And the build up looks great.

One sugar or two . . or like me, none ?

Good to see that some understand my point, it has to be an investment in more than just the game.

Many of us have embraced the new form of gaming: pre-alpha, beta, early access, etc., it's the direction gaming has taken and is all about more than just the game.

So far I have spent over £250 in Warframe, am a "master" founder, on the design council, and the whole experience is worth every penny.
It's all about the structure of the company, which means many know the direction and giants like EA don't, they have removed themselves too far from us, the punter.

There was a time ones doctor or dentist wore his uniform which said, "I am elite and as such you just nod in the appropriate places but don't try to engage in meaningful conversation", now, only the bank manager has retained that practice . . .Doctors and Dentists wear casual clothes and engage with their patients.
The whole culture is changing and the observant ones can see this in gaming with how games are now presented to us, we can be part of the process.
I have been with pcars as a full member for a long time, it might stay in pre-alpha for a long time yet. Same as Warframe, it might be in beta for a long time yet, safer that way as everything can be excused away as; "but it's only a beta", and we now PAY for pre-alphas and betas. So, enter the early access game, and yes, you pay for that as well.

CM taking down the forums was like trying to wash away their mistakes, but the stain was too deep, the cry of them never listening to us is etched in the mind of all the gamers involved.
I'm hoping that they reflect on the gaming industry as a whole and see that the points made here are real, and they need to get onboard with the direction it is all going.

Your point of "investment for future games" is spot on, and the reality of that requires a more personal relationship with CM, not just a case of; they make a game and we buy the product . . .
~O)

First visit over at the new forums.

Nice to see some familiar names on the posts.

Missed the great racing we all had in the original GRID.

If that can be brought back in a new game I could find myself a bit interested.

But sad to say, I've not trusted CodeMasters at all since the servers were shut down with no notice of any kind.

Really is good though to see the names here.

Have a great week everyone.

The other Frank

Hi Frank.

I was wondering when you might drop in ? . . haven't seen or heard anything of the Beer boys for some time but hope all is well down on the ranch.

The more that wander back, the more pressure on CM, so hopefully it will all turn out our way this time.

(eras) 
~O)

Grid never had pit stops, nor did it have tunable/moddable cars, this was what made it such a success, a simple game with identical cars for all players creating an even playing field, (aside from control methods used).

Once you start down the whole modding pit stops route then you enter Sim territory, Grid never claimed to be a sim, why does everyone want to push it in that direction.

On top of that you get a divide between those who know all you need to know about setting up cars and, those who don't have a clue what Camber is and how it benefits cornering at the expense of straight line acceleration.

Not everyone wants (or has the time) to spend hours practicing each track to attain the perfect settings for each track. This was Grids attraction for the masses and kept people playing it for years (many still do).

I said not long after Grid 2's launch the handling model would kill the game online. I wasn't strictly correct but considering that the still unfinished, Assetto Corsa has been beating Grid 2 for player numbers since online MP went live it probably won't be long before it does die a digital death.

Yes Assetto is a sim, I play it myself, and yes I DO enjoy and know how to setup the cars to my taste, yet I played Grid for 1000's of hours just because it wasn't a sim, yet it still created a good imitation of motorsports and the intensity involved in close quater racing.

If I wanted a more sim like experience I could turn the assists off or join an Assists off session. Still in standardised cars so no one has an immediate advantage. This was the essence of Grids success, simplicity and an even playing field.
If you don't like pit stops, how about simply not doing them or having races that don't require them. I'm sure in this day and age that can be arraigned. I'm not talking about SIM vs. Arcade (whatever that means) here...I'm taking about basic racing. You till didn't answer my question -- what racing series, besides WRC, does not allow a car to pit? I understand you have your preferences, but it's presumptuous to push yours off on the rest of us, especially when no race in the world is like what you describe as your enjoyment level -- wham, bam, thank you M'am. So fine. Go be a five lap wonder. Just don't force me to be one too.

And anybody who has been at this as long as I'm sure you have knows that assists and "tuning" can almost always be set to default or some requirement if you want everyone to just dumb down and drive.

Hey hey Frank of the bonniville variety...Good to see you out there sir.

pass on my regards to those who matter.

See you out there 8P

If you don't like pit stops, how about simply not doing them or having races that don't require them. I'm sure in this day and age that can be arraigned. I'm not talking about SIM vs. Arcade (whatever that means) here...I'm taking about basic racing. You till didn't answer my question -- what racing series, besides WRC, does not allow a car to pit? I understand you have your preferences, but it's presumptuous to push yours off on the rest of us, especially when no race in the world is like what you describe as your enjoyment level -- wham, bam, thank you M'am. So fine. Go be a five lap wonder. Just don't force me to be one too.

And anybody who has been at this as long as I'm sure you have knows that assists and "tuning" can almost always be set to default or some requirement if you want everyone to just dumb down and drive.
Hold on there Dobbin....

1) I posted a reply to YOUR demand for pits tops NOT about Motorsports in general.

2) I clearly stated they were NOT part of Grid 1 and THIS was part of the games appeal, it's simplicity and an even playing field.

3) What gives you the right to push YOUR opinion while ignoring the opinions of MANY of the original games fans who DO NOT want pit stops in the game?

4) Who the hell cares which motor sports don't have pit stops in the real world?

5) In your post you never asked a question for me or anyone else to answer!

1) Pit Stops
3) Penalty system

I know it's late in the game, but this should have been a no brainer. Racing cannot exist in real life without these, save possibly #2, except even damaged cars can come in for repair in any series.
I rest my case, THINK before you launch a stupid attack on someone expressing a contrary opinion to yours, backed up by a reasonable list of counterpoints that by adding pit stops and car tuning, the game IS heading into sim territory which was NOTHING to do with Grid 1.

Hold on there Dobbin....

1) I posted a reply to YOUR demand for pits tops NOT about Motorsports in general.

2) I clearly stated they were NOT part of Grid 1 and THIS was part of the games appeal, it's simplicity and an even playing field.

3) What gives you the right to push YOUR opinion while ignoring the opinions of MANY of the original games fans who DO NOT want pit stops in the game?

4) Who the hell cares which motor sports don't have pit stops in the real world?

5) In your post you never asked a question for me or anyone else to answer!

1) Pit Stops
3) Penalty system

I rest my case, THINK before you launch a stupid attack on someone expressing a contrary opinion to yours, backed up by a reasonable list of counterpoints that by adding pit stops and car tuning, the game IS heading into sim territory which was NOTHING to do with Grid 1.
I. too, was wondering what this ill-informed and garbled rubbish was about. Thought, here we go, someone off on a completely ridiculous tangent, we are talking about GRID games.

OctoberDusk06 - where your post goes drastically wrong is in criticizing the "5 lap wonder" . . .back in the day the "nightly 5 lapper" defined, for so many, what Grid 1 was all about, so either you weren't there or were asleep . . . and if you were there perhaps you could explain to us what did it for you ? . .it sure as hell wasn't any pit stops, because there weren't any.

Saying what you said, and then being confused about the difference between Sim and Arcade could have us thinking we have a flamer onboard ?

"Other Frank?"  Hey, you're still The Frank; I'm still the new guy.

Fingers crossed on GRID: Autosport.  Probably won't be as long lived for me as GRID, but nothing else is either, and it could be even better than I expect.  Good enough for me, for now anyway.

Frank

So who's missing ?

loggyloggy, marcopoloman, Dannyboy, Aba, Ghost, the angelz guys, Comet70, BadBoyGTR . .  the mind gets fuzzy, lol
~O)