Sign in to follow this  

What you want to see from GRID

MMMmmm that'll do nicely..

I REALLY do hope that text chat is added, (either on launch or as soon as can be done after launch).

It was such a cornerstone for the community, without it we're stuck with Steam chat with friends only or having voice chat active all the time, we all remember how much fu it was to hear some ignoramus in the lobby eating a packet of crisps, or worse yet those with the chat set to what you hear thereby drowning out your engine in favour of theirs, making the game nigh on unplayable or difficult at best.

I REALLY do hope that text chat is added, (either on launch or as soon as can be done after launch).

It was such a cornerstone for the community, without it we're stuck with Steam chat with friends only or having voice chat active all the time, we all remember how much fu it was to hear some ignoramus in the lobby eating a packet of crisps, or worse yet those with the chat set to what you hear thereby drowning out your engine in favour of theirs, making the game nigh on unplayable or difficult at best.
If CM subject us to any form of Steam chat they will be creating the start of another GFWL type campaign against them, just like the one Purple was so enthusiastic about, and never once bending from his objectives . . .

In Grid 2 it was made clear, very clear, WE DO NOT WANT STEAM CHAT . . .

Dirt 2 handling/physics/force feedback. The game has the best arcade/sim compromise. Easy to drive, yet you feel in control and you know that a big mistake will put you out. 
Seeing how Grid 2 turned out, don't touch the Dirt2 engine, just make tarmac roads and it will be a best seller.

Also, for the longevity a proper server side multi-player mode, good network code and you are set for 5 years.

If CM subject us to any form of Steam chat they will be creating the start of another GFWL type campaign against them, just like the one Purple was so enthusiastic about, and never once bending from his objectives . . .

In Grid 2 it was made clear, very clear, WE DO NOT WANT STEAM CHAT . . .
they may not have much of a choice though if the game is incorporated into Steam that's the problem with these online services they not only require you to activate the game through them to play they force you to when wanting to play multiplayer and stuff work through their services too Origin do this as well that's why I generally prefer the simplicity of the old days when we could simply just stick a disk in the machine install the program and use it. Almost as bad as suggesting you need to have 24hr internet connection on your console just to make it work on the new systems

I'm saying nothing except, "cat is out of the bag".

Looks like my trust in CM getting it right in GAS hasn't been misplaced . . . and Loore is a clever bugger with his timing, lol . . good chess move which caught me blind sided, and you are getting a thumbs up from us.

Don't ask . . . I'm saying nothing other than GAS should be on everyone's "BUY" list . . . 

More tea, Vicar ? . .
~O)

You mean text chat is in now? That the only way that will get GAS on my buy list on release day.

Damn an I went for the stick buns.... More fool me

Purple44 said:
You mean text chat is in now? That the only way that will get GAS on my buy list on release day.
No I don't mean that.

I have said all along that if the driving model is spot on that will get us buying and the rest of the stuff can follow.
I now know, through someone who's opinion I actually trust, that the driving model is spot on and very similar to Grid 1 . .and I'm talking about someone who has tried it.

Loore is definitely a clever bugger, lol . . . he knew exactly what to do . .  and I thought only politician's created leaks.
~O) 
^:)^

Purple44 said:
No I don't mean that.

I have said all along that if the driving model is spot on that will get us buying and the rest of the stuff can follow.
I now know, through someone who's opinion I actually trust, that the driving model is spot on and very similar to Grid 1 . .and I'm talking about someone who has tried it.

Loore is definitely a clever bugger, lol . . . he knew exactly what to do . .  and I thought only politician's created leaks.
~O) 
^:)^
that's why he's a community manager and we're just lowly consumers
:)) :p

How can you even compare steam and GFWL, if you play video games on PC and don't use/understand steam then you are living in the stone age.

It's not about understanding Steam it's about only being able to chat with everybody else you are playing against, in steam you can only chat with friends.

How can you apologize to someone you don't have in your friends list if you take them out in a crash? Do you think the person in question will accept a friend request when you just belted them off the track? Can't see it myself, they'd be more likely to ignore or block you altogether.

THIS is why we say in game text chat is essential, to communicate without ANY barriers in the way and to be able to do so right away so you can avoid any misunderstanding when an accident happens.

Yes there's voice chat but not everybody has a headset or wants to use one, I certainly got SICK of hearing people in Grid 2 burp, eat, sing off key or have their mic set to "what you hear" so their gameplay totally drowned out my own sound so much I muted everyone in every session I joined and never heard a soul. Kind of like there being NO TEXT CHAT lol.

You could argue that text chat could leave kids exposed to foul language etc but the same can and does happen using headsets (some of the foulest language I heard was actually FROM kids in Grid 2 but there you go).

Andi said:
How can you even compare steam and GFWL, if you play video games on PC and don't use/understand steam then you are living in the stone age.

If Steam is used to block online players from seeing other hosts online, then you are getting into GFWL territory. GRRRRR

At least with Steam you are not block out right from going online, like what happen with GFWL and players in unsupported countries that bought DIRT 2 and 3. But thanks to GRID 2 using Steam download region, players only saw hosts in their region and only got to join Playlists that were hosted near their region.

I go online with GRID 2 last summer and pickings were slim using the Seattle download region. Until I learn about the region restrictions, in the old GRID 2 forum that gone now, had to change download region to London to find a good supply of online players to race with for a couple months until GRID 2 started turning into a ghost town if went online at the wrong time.

This is not Steam fault, it Codemasters fault for setting up GRID 2 online multiplayer with region restrictions.

Also changing your download region going to effect your download speed for Steam if you forget to set it back to a closer region.

A whole part of racing is strategy. So I'd love to see Pit Stops, Tyre Wear, Changeable weather and a robust penalty system.
F1 has it pretty good. Why not GRID?

Redna1L said:
A whole part of racing is strategy. So I'd love to see Pit Stops, Tyre Wear, Changeable weather and a robust penalty system.
Go sim! P.Cars, RaceOn, RFactor, Assetto Corsa, etc etc offers exactly that! :D Welcome!

Redna1L said:
Go sim! P.Cars, RaceOn, RFactor, Assetto Corsa, etc etc offers exactly that! :D Welcome!
In other words you missed the point . . . Grid is an ARCADE racer.

Purple44 said:
..."text chat"... That the only way that will get GAS on my buy list on release day.

Same here.

I have no doubt the handling has been corrected to something enjoyable and that GAS is the step back in the right direction everybody was waiting for.

But no text chat online = playing offline = no fun to me, no interactions, no community building etc.
As much as I'd like to get involved in the game, I don't see it happening at the moment, which, tbh, saddens me.

I'm hoping Loore realizes the importance of this, and even some console guys have requested it . . .

I don't understand why it's been left out as streaming text chat can be part of the game and nothing to do with Steam voice chat.
If Steam have laid down the law and said no to any form of chat from CM then CM have made yet another wrong step in allowing this to happen. Although I know little about the technical side I can see that streaming text chat probably has to go through the Steam system, and in that lies the problem ?

No text chat will seriously curtail the longevity as I will get tired of not being able to say sorry when I mess up.
No text chat leaves the door wide open for one hell of a lot of misunderstandings and revenge action . . .all because CM are being crazy in not including it, they are giving a recipe for disaster  . . . just what the hell is wrong with them ?

However, a bigger mistake by CM is in not explaining why to us . . .just leaving something out is a bit like treating us all like kids or idiots, or both, a comment from Loore, not a 10 page in depth technical explanation, outlining "why" goes a long way . . of all the stuff not in the game text chat is at the top of the list of what shoudn't have been, think about it, a whole COMMUNITY struck dumb.

I'm hoping Loore realizes the importance of this, and even some console guys have requested it . . .

I don't understand why it's been left out as streaming text chat can be part of the game and nothing to do with Steam voice chat.
If Steam have laid down the law and said no to any form of chat from CM then CM have made yet another wrong step in allowing this to happen. Although I know little about the technical side I can see that streaming text chat probably has to go through the Steam system, and in that lies the problem ?

No text chat will seriously curtail the longevity as I will get tired of not being able to say sorry when I mess up.
No text chat leaves the door wide open for one hell of a lot of misunderstandings and revenge action . . .all because CM are being crazy in not including it, they are giving a recipe for disaster  . . . just what the hell is wrong with them ?

However, a bigger mistake by CM is in not explaining why to us . . .just leaving something out is a bit like treating us all like kids or idiots, or both, a comment from Loore, not a 10 page in depth technical explanation, outlining "why" goes a long way . .
I have requested it and I am on console. But I may move to PC in the future as if you are really serious about the game and building a community then there is so much more fun to be had through mods chat etc.

As to why. Come on. Go to the games charts and have a look how many copies of Grid 2 sold on PC. I know the devs always say that these charts are inaccurate, but they can't be that far off.

If you have finite resource (everyone does) its all about how you leverage that resource to achieve the max benefit for your user base, make the most people happy and through that make the most money. 

If the Cm philosphopy is that it is all about the race then I agree improved coms, better handling models and mirrors are all places that should be focused on rather than precise sim elements. But my guess is that it will take some time to achieve those goals. My guess is that things like mirrors will come on new games, as more commonality in the hardware and greater power will allow them to be done more easily. 

Anyway, if I was a politician I would wait until the last minute to pull the rabbit out the hat. Otherwise people would just move onto complaining about something else ! There has been no definitive negative yet, and I think there has been a lot of points made about how important the chat is. Given the dev schedules I think as someone else pointed out on another thread it might be unrealistic to expect the chat in this game, but maybe we can get some promises to include it in the next one ?

If I had to critise Cm it would be about the fact that they made a game that was all about the race (grid) and then made another game that was supposed to be all about the race but went wrong and lost a lot of features that made it just that (Grid 2). Maybe it was because there was too much time between Grid 2 and Grid, and there was no proper in depth re-examnintation of just why grid was as successful as it was. I think that position is too much to recover in one step, but I think it will happen because guys like Loore and brtipoint are listening.

I know we need to push them to make sure this stuff happens but I also feel the need to judge GA fairly when it comes out and not get bogged down with the details of some stuff not happening. Where is the balance?

One thing we don't do is deliberately set out to not put a feature in that we know you want, in fact, it's quite the opposite. In terms of features we're always pushing to get things in but sometimes the alignment just isn't there.

Text chat is important to us, we know it's a much requested feature and it's not something we've forgotten about by any means. Right now the team are incredibly busy finishing the game, it's not a time when you want to be adding a new feature into the code as it's a time for bug fixing and polish. We finish work on it in just a few weeks time and then it's off to manufacturer and shipping. 

I want to be able to tell you "yes it's coming", but right now we're not in the place to do that. It's one of the things at the top of my feedback list.

first patch with streaming text chat + spectator mode from inside the lobby + reset steam region lock to global for everyone.

if you can do that... dunno, maybe next year with a brand new autosport2 we will able to have a full feature multiplayer.
Honestly i cant bear playing a game by mute all and chat through the steam layer with friends only. Steam chat is friend-to friend based and not something really part of the game.

Loore said:
One thing we don't do is deliberately set out to not put a feature in that we know you want, in fact, it's quite the opposite. In terms of features we're always pushing to get things in but sometimes the alignment just isn't there.

Text chat is important to us, we know it's a much requested feature and it's not something we've forgotten about by any means. Right now the team are incredibly busy finishing the game, it's not a time when you want to be adding a new feature into the code as it's a time for bug fixing and polish. We finish work on it in just a few weeks time and then it's off to manufacturer and shipping. 

I want to be able to tell you "yes it's coming", but right now we're not in the place to do that. It's one of the things at the top of my feedback list.
The problem with your post, Loore, is you didn't say streaming text chat - I always mention "streaming" because that was what it was in Grid 1, we don't want stupid little boxes - cannot be done through Steam ? . . . the request isn't a last minute request, we have been on to you for this since before Grid 2 so saying you can't add a new feature now is true, but this request isn't and should have been included.

I know there was a "conversation", what I don't know is why it has been left out, who made the decision that text chat isn't that important ?
For some reason including text chat has been resisted and we, the community, keep getting fobbed off . . . which isn't what we expect from a buddy . .

I don't know what this means:
"but sometimes the alignment just isn't there."

~O)

I don't think it's that hard to imagine why it's not a top priority, really. Any feature that would be specific to a subset of  target platforms (and there's little point in having text chat on consoles--they didn't have it in the original Grid either) is always going to have to fight extra hard to make the cut, as each one they include makes build configs and QA that little bit more complex.