Sign in to follow this  

What you want to see from GRID

I don't think it's that hard to imagine why it's not a top priority, really. Any feature that would be specific to a subset of  target platforms (and there's little point in having text chat on consoles--they didn't have it in the original Grid either) is always going to have to fight extra hard to make the cut, as each one they include makes build configs and QA that little bit more complex.
Why would they go and make 4k textures an after release DLC for PC only then? They said PC was the lead platform for this game and text chat is a huge thing for online PC gaming.

Regardless of that, implementing a text chat feature now would mean it is less of a hastle for future release, including the F1 and DIRT series.

Sounds like a corporate decision made at the top. If the consoles players can do without text-chat, why wouldn't the pc players do the same?

Although there is some logic behind that, maybe one should understand that players playing on different platforms have different mentalities.

Anyway, there's not much left to argue at this point.

I'm 100% glad that CM changed direction. Unfortunately, there's 10% chance I'll preorder the game or buy it on day 1, 30% I'll buy it after I've tried it, 80% chance I'll buy it on a Steam sale if I've tried and liked it (0% if I didn't like it).

I'm not pulling out % to make fun of the 5% about cockpit view - just to express how I'm divided and somewhat very pleased and yet very deceived, which may sound somewhat ungrateful, but it's definitely not.

If the above doesn't make sense to you, just forget about it.

I'll try myself not to come back and put on back the well now known broken record (except maybe if I've had one drink too many :P, and no, that wouldn't be tea). 

Cheers.

Thing is though, with other companies now offering Early and Beta access of games (Warframe, Assetto Corsa, PCARS etc) which we pay to gain access to.

Why give CM a hard time for working on the basic game and releasing it to "test the waters", THEN look at response and carry on to bring in the "Big List".

Sounds both paths are essentially the same thing, or am I missing something?

Grid 1 had updates and features added after launch, Even handling tweaks.

Why give CM a hard time for working on the basic game and releasing it to "test the waters", THEN look at response and carry on to bring in the "Big List".

I paid 35€ for an early access with assetto corsa, and it's 10 guys working their arse off and answering the community based on most requests, still producing a state of the art racing simulation.

CM just opened (again) their forum for a game that was already carved in stone 2 months before release, where many features asked where dismissed just because they 'didn't have time', and still selling it at premium price.

I can be nice sometimes, but I can still open my big mouth some other times...

Well there u go, I post a balanced & understanding post, then a harsh and angry one.....shows how I really feel (but too much wine, yh :P)

I don't think it's that hard to imagine why it's not a top priority, really. Any feature that would be specific to a subset of  target platforms (and there's little point in having text chat on consoles--they didn't have it in the original Grid either) is always going to have to fight extra hard to make the cut, as each one they include makes build configs and QA that little bit more complex.
But text chat was there for the original PC GRID, was there for PC DIRT 2, can't confirm text chat for PC DIRT 3 ( there should be someone here that can confirm text chat for DIRT 3 ). Codemasters use to cater to the PC online player, but lately not so much it seem.

Little old Bugbear studio with only 30 devs, knows how to cater to PC players, we got text chat confirm even defore Bugbear release there first Build for there new racing\ derby game last December:

Got Multiplayer?

[quote=Team Bugbear]  October 25, 2013

During the summer and fall, we’ve been implementing a new lobby system. You’ll have a lobby browser and filters for finding the game you like, or you can of course create your own. Lobby and in-game (and loading screen too, cool!) text chat is already implemented, and a possibility of implementing a voice chat is being investigated. Don’t worry, if voice does get included, there will be an option to toggle it so you don’t have to fear hearing who did what with your mother last night. But then again, I’m just speculating since our community knows how to behave, doesn’t it?

[/quote]

Andi said:
Why would they go and make 4k textures an after release DLC for PC only then? 
Because that's not a gameplay feature. And I'd wager they started from those 4k textures to produce the lower quality release versions for all platforms anyway, which would make it a fairly trivial task to chuck them out there as a download as they've existed all along.

An orange segment can only ever be an orange segment . . .never an orange, it only becomes that when all segments are in place.
So when we ask to buy an orange we expect all segments to be in place, otherwise we would ask to buy just an orange segment.

Loore's credibility rests on all segments being in place, that is the only way we will know his true intentions after all the talk.
They might not all come on launch of GA, but until they do that credibility is on hold . . . there has to be a follow through after launch, an ongoing development, until all segments are resting where they belong. 

There are a couple of things which do bring a smile; 1/ CM brought all this grief on themselves by creating Grid 1, 2/ All this passion for a computer game is definitely a modern phenomenon.
~O)

Yeah, kind of silly feeling this way about a game, but it's nice to have enough company to feel almost normal.

As to Codies schedule with GRID A, it looks to me like they wanted to get some redemption with the new GRID game plus some time after release to work out the bugs with two or three patches as seems always to be required, maybe some DLC, and rebuild their GRID fan base before fall - when pCARS comes out (in Q4).  Because pCARS will probably suck the air right out of the room and any racing game released that late in the year is going to have some very stiff competition indeed.  Works for me.  I'm buying both of them + maybe Assetto Corsa.  If these three games were all released in one quarter Codies would have a lot tougher time, a more complete game notwithstanding.  Looks like a smart move to me.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.
:)>-

@scottishwildcat

I admire your selective quoting to completely miss the point which is that CM said PC was the lead platform yet including text chat is not important enough. CM games have always been known for their high quality graphics, I don't think people would have cared if they were the same as the other 360/ps3/pc games as the next title from CM will be for next-gen.

@SRS13Rastus1701

The difference is that the games don't claim to be finished and entitled alpha, beta or whatever term you like. Yes they make us pay for access but we do it on the presumption that the game will be evolving during this time up until release. CM could learn something from this because once they release their game which is basically in an open beta state, all they do is merely patch bugs rather than trying to improve the game.

This game looks like a step in the right direction but if you looking at the dirt and f1 series, it can be a step forward or backwards at any game release in the series.

RubyRuby said:
Yeah, kind of silly feeling this way about a game, but it's nice to have enough company to feel almost normal.

As to Codies schedule with GRID A, it looks to me like they wanted to get some redemption with the new GRID game plus some time after release to work out the bugs with two or three patches as seems always to be required, maybe some DLC, and rebuild their GRID fan base before fall - when pCARS comes out (in Q4).  Because pCARS will probably suck the air right out of the room and any racing game released that late in the year is going to have some very stiff competition indeed.  Works for me.  I'm buying both of them + maybe Assetto Corsa.  If these three games were all released in one quarter Codies would have a lot tougher time, a more complete game notwithstanding.  Looks like a smart move to me.

Frank
there will definetely be patches to fix any issues found with the game no doubt about that I do somehow doubt however that with the PS4 XB1 breathing down their necks that there will be DLC for the game. I think CM's main priority is get Autosport out of the door and done. Then start focusing on producing their first batch of next gen games

Andi said:
@scottishwildcat

I admire your selective quoting to completely miss the point which is that CM said PC was the lead platform yet including text chat is not important enough. CM games have always been known for their high quality graphics, I don't think people would have cared if they were the same as the other 360/ps3/pc games as the next title from CM will be for next-gen.

@SRS13Rastus1701

The difference is that the games don't claim to be finished and entitled alpha, beta or whatever term you like. Yes they make us pay for access but we do it on the presumption that the game will be evolving during this time up until release. CM could learn something from this because once they release their game which is basically in an open beta state, all they do is merely patch bugs rather than trying to improve the game.

This game looks like a step in the right direction but if you looking at the dirt and f1 series, it can be a step forward or backwards at any game release in the series.

Coudn't agree more.
The new way is paid for "early access" - meaning pre-alpha, beta, or whatever stage they tell us the game is in - and we pay because instead of them lying by selling us a so-called "finished" game, and having to patch it, we know where we stand and we know the game will continue through development to sort the problem, not have a customer base screaming for patches.

Sometimes patching is unavoidable but the new way ensures that patching is kept to an absolute minimum and CM need to wake up and ask themselves, "why are so many thousands upon thousands of people so willing to throw their money at "early access ?"

I am sometimes fighting to keep the faith but it can be a strain when I keep getting this underlying feeling that CM are struggling to break out from deeply ingrained practices, practices which has seen them make mistake after mistake - particularly the FPS debacle - and are always on the edge of slipping back . . . the business over text chat is a glaring example.
~O)

RubyRuby said:

Frank
Gaming for me has been a very refreshing way to stick two fingers up at my conditioning . . . it is also very amusing to see the responses from family, friends, and aquaintances because I make it very public that I run a gaming site with 3 friends from different parts of the world, spend a fortune on my gear, and love every minute of it . . . far better than being some boring old fart endlessly talking about the weather or politics.

When we are young we tend to define the stages of man as he ages . . . when we are old we realize what a load of cobblers that was.
If we have to excuse something in our behaviour, something which harms no-one, then someone else is living our lives.

It is interesting that no-one has ever asked me, "why gaming ?", although my answer would be, "why not gaming", because if they need to ask the question they aren't going to understand the answer . . .
~O)

Problem is, I still talk about the weather and politics.  <slurp>  Ahh, coffee.

Frank

Yup! Track conditions, weather forcast and team politics ;)

Redna1L said:
A whole part of racing is strategy. So I'd love to see Pit Stops, Tyre Wear, Changeable weather and a robust penalty system.
F1 has it pretty good. Why not GRID?
Go sim! P.Cars, RaceOn, RFactor, Assetto Corsa, etc etc offers exactly that! :D Welcome!
I like the way Codies do things. I do own Assetto Corsa and Raceroom and DTM but none have what I mentioned.... yet.  Hopefully it's something that will come soon.

RubyRuby said:
Problem is, I still talk about the weather and politics.  <slurp>  Ahh, coffee.

Frank
Coffee ? . .Mmmm, must be a Yank ? . .that would explain it . . .
~O)

Yanks don't have good coffee - so u must be mistaken.

I remember when I was 9 and I got a commodore 64.
There was hardly any easy modes at the time, you would just get the game and try to get thru it. and they were bloody hard.
Me, being 9, still put a lot of effort to get thru.

So now I read that online flashbacks are for the ones that can't manage to race.
Ok, so we're talking about below 9 yrs old people in my book.
So basically, Grid AS is catering for pre-prepubescent kids.
I'm too old to get into that then.

Good coffee has been available to Yanks who want it for at least 25 years - even in Alaska.  I limit my intake to one cup of fresh ground dark roast a day, and it will just about let a spoon stand up in it.  My parents on the other hand . . .

Frank

How about talk about the Next Car Game being work on by Bugbear? OOPs getting off topic now.

There's an Off Topic section in Codies Lounge, but there really ought to be one here (I think).

Frank

RubyRuby said:
There's an Off Topic section in Codies Lounge, but there really ought to be one here (I think).

Frank
yep and you're welcome to join us if you like :p