hi!

i want to see

1 - a lobby with room list to choose where i want to enter
2 - more policies against cheaters and crash racers
3 - better balancing of categories
4 - chat text room in game avaiable in game
5 - long races
6 - le mans 24h

Another thing i would welcome in a new game is improved blind-spot indicator. For people using in-car view or bonnet cam, without triple-monitor setup or track-id, its really hard to race mid-pack and cover what is going on on both sides of the car. Having that kind of help would improve online action.

IMO the perfect indicator is being used in Nascar the Game 2013:

+1 to the no car setup's. Bring back the assists system from Grid 1, THAT was what made the game such a crossover hit with SIM and arcade fans alike, If you just wanted fun then all assists on. but turn them all off and it's a whole different beast requiring finesse to get the best out of it.

You said prior to G2's launch "It's all about the race" we wanna race against other people, not be mired down by trying to remember which setup works for which track and then put it in place before the timer runs out.

If the lack of car setup causes enough of an outcry, I do like Loores suggestion that the Host specifies which settings will be applied. It must be all options available though, too many times I've seen manual geared players cream auto drivers so allow the host to set auto only sessions as well as manual only.

I played so many Grid and Dirt 3 races online against people who had 0% career completion (maybe a bigger incentive is needed to remedy this). Personally I never take it online until I can beat the AI on at least hard if not max. Best way to learn the tracks/cars/game imo.

The MOST missed thing from Grid 1 (for me anyway) was it's "visible to all" vote to kick system, a return would be cool, with two additions. ALL players HAVE to vote and the host can't just kick you out, this way it's a democratic decision not a dictatorship.

No group of friends want their fair play, fun session ruined by ramming idiots.
No new player/gamer likes having their behind handed to them on a plate just cause the others have wheels etc.
No player wants to be kicked just cause the host has a"beef" with them over an accident in a previous race. 

Make each players controller type visible (KB, controller, wheel etc)

Text chat is a MUST HAVE, again the chat in Grid 1 was PERFECT, visible to all but unobtrusive, Language used is always a problem but it's a problem no matter the format used to speak them. Remember as well that many people don't own or (like me) don't want to use a headset.

OOOOhhh yeaaah speaking of heasets, pleeeease for sanity and (insert deity of your choice here)'s sake. Mute mics as default, yeah have the little logo pop up with a name so people can see they are being used but no more entering a lobby to find an ignoramus eating a packet of crisps so freakin loud it's drowning out the race! AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

..or host a TS3- or equivalent VoIP server and let ppl verbally communicate there. Keep it out of the game itself, there are plenty of good voip programs out there, so don't try to re-invent the wheel. and keep away from Steam-chat ....lmao

Keep a MILLION MILES away from Steam Chat . . .

About setups . . .

I can guess at the need for the type of setups we got in Dirt games as being available because the game has us racing on different surfaces, not there just simply for personal preferences.

In Grid 1 we didn't have different surfaces so the developers only need to strike an acceptable handling model for all players, and like Rastus mentioned, assists off available for the anoraks, lol . . 

- No to be too arcade, but semi-sim!

- The cars not to go left-right too fast as latest codemaster's game (dirt 2-3, grid 2,f1 series) but you to feel them heavier..(colin mac rae series , toca series , grid 1)..

- No bad strategy about dlc with all this confusion in online...(grid 2 , dirt 3)

- Text chat both in lobby and in race (grid 1 and toca 3 style!)

- Cockpit view with detailed graphics.

- Saperated classes as we had in toca series and grid 1, and not a mixure of modern, classic , mascle , cabrio, open wheels in same race!!:-O

- The best circuits in the world like spa , Bathrust , Brno ect , but also beautiful european mainly city tracks! (London , Rome , Amsterdam, could be some of them)

- Longer duration in drift mode as grid 1 and not so sort as in grid 2...

I say it friendly, if next Grid game has not these feature , i am not gonna deal with it , as project cars comes this fall ...

Dont forget the most important feature you have to fix :

CARS MUST NOT GO LEFT AND RIGHT SO FASTLY AND SHARPY, YOU MUST FEEL THEM HEAVIER AND MORE SOLID!

Almost forgot, though already mentioned a number of times...Oculus Rift (and therefore cockpit) support is a must.  Anyone (and hopefully some of the devs) having tried it with Assetto Corsa (even with the lo-res DK1) will agree it makes driving massively immersive.

Loggy said:
pre-alpha
alpha
closed beta
open beta
Release
And let every step take its time! You can't go from pre-alpha to full release and hoping some silly fixes during the first two months after release will do it.
The fact that CM was spot on for grid goes way back with the toca-series, which then was lost in a stooopid "hunt-for-quick-cash" starting with Dirt3, Showdown and finally the notatallsuccesful G2. (Eijits) :)
Go to gamba and look at the Sim-competitors, I do think a future game should be towards sims but without the 1 zillion ways to setup a car. In G1-Touring cars there were 2 cars to choose from, without setup possibilites (OK different cars with different performances could be obtained through Ebay), a good race-feeling and that was good enough for me and several others.

So am I right in thinking you want lots of set-up options?
 ? NO no no setup options. Equal racing online.
Right OK sorry got ya, do you not think some people might want to be able to tweak the handling to suit their racing style would be a good thing though? 

What do the rest of you think about being able to set up your car?
One thing - no setup options!
That was the beauty of original game!!

Chat . . .

It's all about psychology . . .

On a Friday night across Rural Britain the local village pub becomes the one and only place used as a "meeting place", where people play cards, play darts, and CHAT. . .they CHAT whilst playing cards, they CHAT whilst playing darts, they even CHAT whilst waiting for their turn on the board.
Imagine walking into a pub where everyone sits there just looking at their pint without anyone saying a word all night.

In TDU1 there was an excellent voip system - alas missing from TDU2 - where much cruising and CHATTING went on . .talking to people from all corners of the Earth, and you never knew who you would be talking to until you joined their cruise.

I remember one time running into a group of about 5 middle aged Americans. They met up once a week to CHAT about this and that. Their wives loved it because it kept the old man at home and the old man got to have a drive and CHAT to friends.

CHAT in Grid 1 was streamed - Dirt 2 showed what a fiasco it becomes if it is not streamed - during the race and then into the lobby as the next race in the set was getting ready to launch.
It has to continue into the lobby so people can communicate all manner of essential info to one another, thank people who needed thanking for generous behaviour on track, have a word in someone's ear to tighten up their act etc. etc., a bit like in the pub, you don't stop CHATTING between games of cards or darts.

When you leave that pub on a Friday night the overall enjoyment is down to just how well all the CHAT went . .because one of the most important factors for us humans is communication . . and look what happened to your fan base when you took it away, we have never stopped complaining for the past few years.
It's just a shame no-one at CM was around in the day and can remember just how busy that streaming was, a continual feed in the race and between racing.

This post is by way of a bit of lobbying, so maybe we can raise more voices for this also . . .

You see what happens ? . . you dish us up a fiasco called Grid 2, you then feed us a few titbits which give us hope, and back we come . . .

Back in the day, BigLee, Flowa was in the angelz clan and they used TS, but that made no difference to them text chatting, indeed, the text chatting was the main form of universal communication, it has to be because different groups are on different TS.

We don't want the fiasco of Steam chat or any other enforced system. When is comes to voice all should now have learned . .leave it to the individual groups to sort and give text chat as the number one communication system . .but it MUST be streaming, not stupid little boxes which don't give enough room and are off the screen before we can write or read.

Trying to put in a voip system is a nightmare on all levels, it's one thing to choose a cruising group in TDU 1 where you will only pick up on the group when in close proximity, and a completely different thing listening to the voip nightmare called Grid 2 . .that wasn't communication but wearing the hair shirt . . .

justbiglee said:
So... you want chat then Jack?

Nah just needs a pre-frontal lobotomy :D

Cap's definitely right though, the chat was one of the best parts of Grid 1, it was the 1st game that I played online.

The chat was great as people could ask you "How do you do that?" and you could spend time explaining or advise them to spectate on you during the next race.

I ended up being invited to join a drift team (which I'm still a member of) we were running drift training sessions to help others improve their game. All because of the chat in Grid 1.

As a result of the chat in Grid 1 I know have friends across the globe from the US to Europe, Africa, Australia, Russia, Japan Indonesia etc etc.

In Grid 2 the chat was so damned annoying to use alongside not being able to spectate when entering the lobby of a session already underway, I mean COME ON! Who wants to wait for through an endurance race staring at the flippin player lists! If we aint in the race let us at least watch the one in progress.

These and many other excellent features were dumped for the sequel (and I use that word with a grimace), why? So someone new could justify their exorbitant salary by improving on an already brilliant system. (just like Yahoo using that stupid purple text for headlines, what the hells wrong with black? Is it not "politically correct" any more or summat? FFS!).

Thing is though as a member of BOTH the last two forums you killed off  clearly remember us saying in droves "Don't mess with the gameplay just add more tracks and cars and make it look better, but no, some "committee" decided we knew nothing and did what they THOUGHT we wanted and drove the most loyal fans to run for the hills.

Play grid 1 again to the point where you can beat the AI on hardest settings, then play Grid 2, almost nothing great/innovative from the first game was transferred to the second (except the replay function). Probably why G2 lost out to Fifa at the Baftas unlike it's predecessor G1 which beat fifa that time round.

For G2 we got "drift if you wanna win" race cars (even the FWD ones for gods sake) crap drift events encouraging players to stop/reverse between corners to increase their speed into the next corner. No tandem drifting. No circuit drifting. No freestyle arena therefore no joy in playing.

Only when you guys realised how p*****d off we were we get offered a survey asking us what WE wanted. Whereas if you had kept the previous forums running, what we wanted was already there for all to see but, nooooo some idiot thought the costs were too high to keep the games servers going. 

We were annoyed and expressed that on the forums, so you killed em off as well saying it was for a new look and forum features.

When we get Grid 2 and express outrage, you do the same thing again, making us wait or have to resort to twitter or facebook for months, I barely use facebook and despise twitter along with many others. so we had no voice, no info, no place to search for fixes for problems.

THATS where you went wrong imo.......

Why is for CM'S so hard to add a proper chat system like in Grid 1..??i have played many indie games , that they are probably bad games , but they have a good chat system both in menus and in game.....why CM's can not incorporate such a good chat system in their AAA games is something i can not understand yet..
:-O

In Grid 2 the chat was so damned annoying to use alongside not being able to spectate when entering the lobby of a session already underway, I mean COME ON! Who wants to wait for through an endurance race staring at the flippin player lists! If we aint in the race let us at least watch the one in progress.

These and many other excellent features were dumped for the sequel (and I use that word with a grimace), why? So someone new could justify their exorbitant salary by improving on an already brilliant system. (just like Yahoo using that stupid purple text for headlines, what the hells wrong with black? Is it not "politically correct" any more or summat? FFS!).

Yeah, forgot to add about spectating mode that worked so fine in G1. 

i had to agree with flowa and other... (i know i'm becoming old...)

was a thread like this into the first vbullettin forum(cleaned to zero, erased) with hundreds of pages, full of ideas to make grid1 sequel great.
We got a grid2 without cockpit view and a rubbish online without text chat and spectate mode.
With an horrible powerslide physics an lot of bugs and no-sense like corner cut slowdown etc and no hud damage system. 
(just to list few). (graphics was nice btw).
Another forum (lithium version) is already cleaned to zero, erased and everything we already said lost into the oblivion...
So what's the point to came here and try to explain to codemasters how make a great grid game ??
A great idea can be a grid1 total remake with new graphics, online working, and all kind of DLC to add car and tracks.

was a thread like this into the first vbullettin forum(cleaned to zero, erased) with hundreds of pages, full of ideas to make grid1 sequel great.
We got a grid2 without cockpit view and a rubbish online without text chat and spectate mode.
With an horrible powerslide physics an lot of bugs and no-sense like corner cut slowdown etc and no hud damage system. 
Another forum (lithium version) is already cleaned to zero, erased and everything we already said lost into the oblivion...
So what's the point to came here and try to explain to codemasters how make a great grid game ??
A great idea can be a grid1 total remake with new graphics, online working, and all kind of DLC to add car and tracks.

Just because the old forums are gone, doesn't mean all your old feedback is! Even if this forum were to vanish tomorrow, people will still have read these threads and seen what you've been asking for. That doesn't just get forgotten about. So there's definitely a point to keep posting in threads like this. :)

Britpoint said:

Just because the old forums are gone, doesn't mean all your old feedback is! Even if this forum were to vanish tomorrow, people will still have read these threads and seen what you've been asking for. That doesn't just get forgotten about. So there's definitely a point to keep posting in threads like this. :)
Hey, man . . gotta admire your courage coming in here with, (Car Handling), as your job, lol . . .just joshing, I'm sure the "drift everywhere" was in your remit.

BIGLEE ALERT . . .
I forgot to mention SPECTATE mode . . absolutely essential. sometimes we have to wait so like to spectate, sometimes we need to learn so spectate, sometimes we need to see why someone is always beating us so spectate, sometimes there is a challenge so judges have to spectate (like I was assigned to the ACE vs COMET one), etc. etc., so SPECTATE has to be near the top of the list.

I, and so many others, fail to see the problem . . . Grid 1 is there for all to see what we like. Aren't all the details in the archives ? . .so you can see what the handling etc. settings are ?

Something else you MUST have, and its exclusion from Grid 2 hit everyone almost instantly, DRAFTING. How can you call yourself a purely racing game maker when you exclude a basic physic of racing . .it sort of contradicts itself . .  The drafting in Grid 1 was the best ever and on a few occasions I picked up the draft, coming out of eau rouge, from about 5 angelz cars and took off as if I had a rocket up my ass . . that is what we would like replicated.

CaptainJack, you make the right questions... 
I'm worry about the answers, because there are people from codemasters reading here, they already said many times how much "love" for the grid1 they have... 
and they read and keep our feedback(over many forum cleaning).
So my question is this, if they read and keep feedbacks why are not able to turn that feedback into the right real stuff?
Because is since 2009 we are writing feedbacks for grid, and i cannot understand how is possible make the exactly contrary of what we ask.  
I just see how blind are they to forget where is the fun we had into the grid1 and how reproduce that fun !!!

Game design choice are the base !

If you make a grid2 like the one we already see:

-Without cockpit view = immersion and feeling to drive drop 0. (bonnet cam only, is right for and android phone game, not 2013pc gaming)
-Without slipstream and and good handling that allow bump to bump challenge= no fun to control the car, just powerlide all around.
-Without spectate mode and text chat= a game where is a must mute all ppl screaming of every f...ng language and wait minute to stare a damn lobby window.
-Without a damage hud= no idea to car health so another blind point
-Without our favorite real tracks= point to point POINTLESS race
- without weather conditions
-With too much DLC= game fragmentation
-With car power enhancement = frustration because all became a pay to win, when the core of grid was ALL CAR THE SAME, so that why grid1 patch 1.3 disable ebay car, smart they made a grid2 exacly the contrary.

and this is just FEW stuff i remember after 6-7hour of total playing !! 
Thats why i doubt any feedback will become a real idea of what is a feature to develop.
Just remake grid1 and reopen online, we already have grid fun and its grid1.. then add by DLC a monthly updates of car and tracks, and be ready for tons of money.

I agree with all of that, Jo, that's why I keep getting the feeling of flogging a dead horse . . .everything has already been said, all anyone has to do is look at Grid 1 . . .so why are we always getting asked the same questions ? . .don't make any sense other than the feeling of being played.

Slipstreaming - another essential thing in G1. It allowed for closer action as even if you dropped a bit you could always catch car in-front. It also added a tactics to racing.

I would like to see some explanation from Britpoint about the drifty handling in G2, was it intentional or just happened because of lack of profound testing? And what conclusions have been made since then?

I would like to see some explanation from Britpoint about the drifty handling in G2, was it intentional or just happened because of lack of profound testing? And what conclusions have been made since then?

Handling in GRID 2 was intentional and we do know that it alienated a lot of our core fans (i.e. you guys). Moving forward I'm confident you'll enjoy the direction we're taking.