Sign in to follow this  

What you want to see from GRID

It's not rainbows and super-powered magical maids either

Not until I get my way at any rate. I'm hoping Google glass will eventually be able to apply an anime filter to everything I look at.

I can understand why something like a sepia filter is divisive. Personally I can't play F1 2013 classics mode without it, it just feels weird; for some reason I associate that kind of washed out yellow with the '70s. It's nice to be able to turn them on and off when they are there though.

RubyRuby said:
Wondered where you guys were.  I was scratching around in that Steam forum wondering what I was missing, because whatever it was sure wasn't there.

Frank

P.S.  Thanks for the "young" bit, Cap.
We've been thrashing Warframe for a while now and sulking in the grumble corner :)

Britpoint said:

Not until I get my way at any rate. I'm hoping Google glass will eventually be able to apply an anime filter to everything I look at.

I can understand why something like a sepia filter is divisive. Personally I can't play F1 2013 classics mode without it, it just feels weird; for some reason I associate that kind of washed out yellow with the '70s. It's nice to be able to turn them on and off when they are there though.

AHAHAHA @ the anime filter comment

But my complaint was more towards titles like the original GRID or the first two DIRT games, which heavily abused browns, yellows, and oranges in their "color palette", and left users without a choice. The sepia and "old TV" filters for F1 2013's Classic mode races are fine because those were optional, so I would have been fine with that.

The heavy abuse of generally "brown" colors in those early Ego engine games and GRID 2 meant that, for example subtle bright warm-palette liveries would be washed over with a yellow shine to them. No way for me to enjoy my cherry blossom pink Aston Martin DBR9 in the original GRID without some yellowy lemon ruining the view :(

In GRID 2 the "brown is real" effect is quite a bit more understated, but I think that is mainly down to introducing more colors to the "stylistic palette" than GRID 1 did, rather than toning down the oranges and yellows. Maybe watching so much anime and playing through so many visual novels has thrown my visual perception off, but this is only an opinion of one player, after all.

But my complaint was more towards titles like the original GRID or the first two DIRT games, which heavily abused browns, yellows, and oranges in their "color palette", and left users without a choice. The sepia and "old TV" filters for F1 2013's Classic mode races are fine because those were optional, so I would have been fine with that.

The heavy abuse of generally "brown" colors in those early Ego engine games and GRID 2 meant that, for example subtle bright warm-palette liveries would be washed over with a yellow shine to them. No way for me to enjoy my cherry blossom pink Aston Martin DBR9 in the original GRID without some yellowy lemon ruining the view :(

In GRID 2 the "brown is real" effect is quite a bit more understated, but I think that is mainly down to introducing more colors to the "stylistic palette" than GRID 1 did, rather than toning down the oranges and yellows. Maybe watching so much anime and playing through so many visual novels has thrown my visual perception off, but this is only an opinion of one player, after all.
Thrown it off? As far as I'm concerned yours is the visual perception everyone should strive for... but then I have a subscription to Crunchyroll so I'm biased in exactly the same way ;)

I definitely understand where you're coming from. If you're looking for realistic visuals and you get something with a yellow tinge over everything then it's maybe a bit of a let down if there's no way to disable it. In defence of how GRID 1 used that colour palette, I think it was one of a number of things about that game that gave it a certain character and set it apart from a lot of its rivals at the time. Even now I don't think there's been another racing game that really looks and feels quite like GRID did. I believe it is good sometimes to try and do something a bit bold with the art style.

That said, I am with you of course that in an ideal world users should have the choice. That might not always be possible, but we're certainly mindful of the different tastes and expectations people have from a visual perspective. I think one of the first questions the F1 team got when showing off the classics mode is 'can I turn off that filter?' so it's clear that it's a common expectation. :)

Britpoint said:

I'm with Britpoint on GRID's palette and color filter.  Made GRID stand out in 2008 and still works for me.  I do turn off the motion blur though.  I get plenty of self-generated immersion without it, bobbing and weaving in my chair, keyboard in my lap.

Frank

I much prefer the more realistic palette of the latest F1 game.  Compare it to the very first F1 game and it makes that one look set on another planet.  The neutral palette works for me in games like the Gran Turismo series and most recently Assetto Corsa, so I would naturally like that in the next 'Grid' too.

I cant remember reading  anything about the dlc topic.
But I deffo want to see a change in youre dlc strategy.
You broke the community with how you handle dlc since dirt3.
And specially how you handle dlc in grid2

I cant remember reading  anything about the dlc topic.
But I deffo want to see a change in youre dlc strategy.
You broke the community with how you handle dlc since dirt3.
And specially how you handle dlc in grid2
Good point about DLC-s.i need to say i have them all and i like all of them, BUT, i can not play them.There are some people who have some of dlc packs and we can play , BUT , again, I feel like we are divided from the rest of community.I know it because, when i create a session i wait a million years for someone to join me, when i send invite to some people i like to play with, they can not join me.If someone promote me as host , people start to leave the session, not because they wont play with me, but because of my DLC-s, they dont have them and game force them to quit.

For example, i like to drift in this game, almost all of my 524h in this game are from drifting events, and i like to be the host and choose tracks i like and want in the right moment, and because people cant join me, i need to remove all DLC folders from my game directory except DRIFT pack and than to create session.After that people fill the room.

Conclusion : change the DLC strategy, for any new game, forget what u did with G2.I can understand the Track DLC-s , but car DLC-s cant divide people.Dont force people who have new content of a game to be alone out there , a lot of people spend money on DLC but they supposed to use it online, not just in singleplayer mode.

*I cant wait 22.04.2014. :)

Simples: don't make paid track-DLC.

I wonder, have Codies earned enough cash from G2 DLCs to justify actual DLC strategy. I hope they haven't.

Well I like the way dlc can bring more to a game but make it one pack for example.
I still believe that one big dlc is better then all those little ones.

Well I like the way dlc can bring more to a game but make it one pack for example.
I still believe that one big dlc is better then all those little ones.
Me too.  And they used to be called expansion packs.

Like so many others I bought the dlc for Dirt 3 and Grid 2 . . . what a waste of money, and what an idiot paying for all that frustration . . .

If I ever buy another game from CM there will definitely be 2 rules:

No buy without try.
No buying dlc until it is clear that the debacle of Dirt 3 and Grid 2 isn't being repeated.

If you look at the principle it all becomes a bit ironic. I imagine that most of us who buy the dlc do so because we want no restrictions to any part of the game, yet in so doing place those restrictions onto ourselves.

If CM haven't got the skill to sort this they should not include it. . . having dlc files in with our other game files should not cause all of these problems.

They definetly need the help of a playable demo this time around imo, to (hopefully) recover the lost fan's with Grid2.  I think they did it for the same reason with F1 2013.

i agree about realistic colors...
about dlc , yes a gree with all guy that they dont want many dlc
Do not follow the DIRT'S 3 , GRID'S 2 strategy !
Release just a big pack including tracks cars , or just car's dlc that whoever wants can buy them and use them online in all lobbies ...
Do not keep the community sapereted !

Also Loore i want to see karts like in Toca 3...they are so funny...
F1's codies studio went for kart ,  i watched a video about..:)

I don't generally do DLCs at all as a single player, but having followed the forums the G2 DLC program does seem kind of desperate.  My face has turned red several times just reading about it.  Just saying . . . we know Codies can do better.

Frank

i never bought a dlc for grid2 and i will never buy any dlc !!!
One thing is make a Game and after one year some expansion to improve longevity,
another completely different thing is make a game and try to sell it a piece at once (dlc).
More dirt policy about that is day1 dlc... i mean... no way.

Smoke effects, please let them be customisable, I hated Grid 2s smoke so much I turned it off with a file edit, I turned it back on the other week to see if I could get used to it but after a couple of days it had to go off-false again, I just cant drive with all that smoke. Grid 1 was good in that department.

Grid 2 DLC would have worked for me if it was included in some playlists but as it wasnt I didnt buy any,  also in the back of my mind I didnt want to have to drift around Spa.

One thing is make a Game and after one year some expansion to improve longevity,
another completely different thing is make a game and try to sell it a piece at once (dlc).

Exactly my thought about it flash.
But sadly that time is gone like the name "extension packs" they had back then like Joe said.
It is all about getting as much money out youre pocket, not to give a game long livety.

Loore said:
Loggy said:
De ja vous, but Ill ask again, will simple keypress text chat be included in future codemasters games or not, and if not why not?. If its something to do with censorship, PEGI , DRM, swear content or whatever, please let us know so we can suggest ways of implementation rather than exclusion.
Text chat is something we'd love to get in to any of our future games, we know it something that has been requested in the past. As always though it's a fight between resource and what other features are waiting to get in the game. Side issue but there is always a design point of view as well, especially from a UI perspective were as the online menus are created with multiple platforms in mind, if we ever did text chat it'd most likely only be on PC so we'd have to take that into consideration. 

As far as I'm aware there is no censorship, PEGI, DRM etc reason, if we can do it, we will.
On the subject of UI are you guys still going with the massive object setup that you have since grid 1 where you assume everyone has the worst eyesight in the world or will you use your screen real estate better this time round?

Seeing as you are also developing on PC for both consoles, how about designing it with PC in mind, like 4K grade textures, pitstops, races longer than a goldfishes memory that kind of thing....

Oh and whatever "trufeel" was, remove it. It was a massive failure in giving any type of feel to the player in any way. The cars might as well have been FWD hatchbacks with trays under the back wheels as far as handling is concerned.

On the subject of DLC for the upcoming GRID game, don't limit players by having tracks and game modes as paid DLC, it's just stupidity that's made companies not see the problem this creates. It segregates the fanbase and makes people into haves and have-not's. Polarising already small community's is just a death knell for the game from a MP perspective.
For Cars as DLC then great not a problem unless you release the most broken and overpowered car as DLC so unless you have it you can't win. Same issue as tracks if that's the case.

Really when you think about it, paid DLC and racing games DOESN'T work.

Oh and release a demo, otherwise you'll find everybody finds a way to test the game anyway. There is no Customer <> Codies trust any more. Codies have to work DAMN hard to get any of it back. Not to mention racers aren't exactly the largest community and word spreads pretty fast as to whether a game is worth buying or not.

Completely agree, Jo, no more dlc for me . . . and on reflection, dlc so soon after launch is a bit disgusting as it is obviously a cash grab, and makes me wonder if this is all down to the new bosses.

I'd rather see an expansion after a decent amount of time has passed from launch.

In the time from Dirt 3 to Grid 2 the dlc debacle never got sorted so I don't hold out much hope for any future dlc.

I'm not taking yet another pop at the owners/management but if the next project shows all too familiar traits the blame will most definitely be in their lap . . . showing all of us the kind of policies they pursue . .