Sign in to follow this  

What you want to see from GRID

i dont know if its good or bad news , but after GRID2 disaster , i totally lost faith in this company .
i totally agree with what being said since page one . all the good points that made GRID1 stands out vanished on the second episode , and damn , what was that handling/physics system , i played GRID2 for like few hours and returned it . would have been better just to keep GRID1 great handling and physics models and adds more contents around it .. marketing is killing this industry :/
Hello stranger . . . good to see that you are still about. We "Gridders" remember all the old hands, but I doubt if CM do . .just like what we like in a game, but won't be getting.

Hi all,

I personally went thru enough bullshit with Grid 2 not to get excited with any new announcement by codemasters (old Grid 1 fan so I pre-ordered it, much to my despair).
I discovered Assetto Corsa in november and don't see why I should get involved in anything else at the moment.
90% of my playtime with Grid 2 has been a chore trying to get to like it (never managed - < 100 hrs), 100% of my playtime of AC has been a bliss.
If I ever was to get Grid:Autosport, I'd expect to get it for free, considering what I paid for Grid 2.
That obviously will never happen and I care little.
Yes, I AM pissed off......

Best regards anyway :)

Hey, Cap.  Glad to see you're still kicking.  Thought maybe Cornwall got washed away.

So far I'm feeling pretty good about GRID A.  Not what I would call a perfect GRID sequel, but a sequel nevertheless.  I don't care for the tuning as the simplicity of GRID is a big factor, as you said.  But it's optional, which makes me think of ToCA3 which was likewise.  Didn't care much for trying to be competitive at default tuning in that game.  But for me it's not a deal breaker.

There are some familiar features here, changed, but present; like AI team mates, monetization and Ravenwest.  I think the practice sessions will be a positive - one of the things I missed in early days with GRID.  And they have to retain GRID's glorious replays.  Not sure about that yet.  Replays in G2 are not bad, but they don't really reach out and grab me.  And of course my point of view is that of the single player.

The handling is supposed to be more like GRID, but that doesn't tell me much, except that Codies are paying attention.  I have to try it, or read a positive report from someone whose judgement I trust.  Other than that I'll probably buy it.  Feels a lot more positive than I ever felt about G2.

Frank

@mcnab

Drafting / slipstreaing is in, a lot more prominent than in GRID 2. Open Wheel category you'll be using this a lot I imagine :)

@RubyRuby 

Regarding replays we'd like to think we've taken these forward a step from GRID 2, I'm planing some direct feed gameplay soon so will see if we can get some replay cameras in there.

Loore said:
@RubyRuby 

Regarding replays we'd like to think we've taken these forward a step from GRID 2, I'm planing some direct feed gameplay soon so will see if we can get some replay cameras in there.
Sounds awesome.
I would not at all hope for any advanced replay cams (where you can choose which car to follow) - that is implemented for F1 2014 I really hope, but please add that for GRID A 2 as well ;)

Fait Accompli . . .

No point anyone mentioning what they would like in a Grid game as we have been presented with a fait accompli . . . the next iteration is finished and ready to roll out . .nothing can be added now, why doesn't that surprise me ?

There is no streaming text chat in SP, there is no Spectate in SP . . . so if we don't get them online, online is no different than SP . . what is the point in racing with "live" players when they only actually exist in the imagination ?
If I can't communicate with a "live" player I might as well play SP . .and if I'm playing SP why would I want to pay for half a game ?

I picked up on the "tell" in the video, comments about the EGO engine and using this gen as opposed to next gen. This is a cobbled together game from what is lying around the workshop with a few new bits thrown in and called, Grid Autosport.

The bloodhounds have reported back and it seems all that "listening to us" amounts to nothing more than a tiny bit of lip service by way of throwing in cockpit view.
This is a bit of a hoot, CM have blurred the cockpit view as a direct consequence of the hacked version in Grid 2 (where it was blurry),  and had the cheek to say this has been done to emphasize the outside of car area. As I recall the community told CM that if cockpit view took up too many resources we were perfectly happy with a blurry interior, just as long as we got the cockpit.

They act on that yet still cannot see that all of our requests are necessary . . .

No streaming chat, no spectate, no buy . . . . no matter, The Crew is looking like a TDU type game so I might be happy, might be ? because the way racing games are at the moment means nothing is what it wants to appear to be.

hello everyone again, another new forum? i didn't use the last one much after the release of grid 2 due to massive disappointment.

touring cars.

a playable demo.

any sort of drifting during racing prevents the good close racing that we used to enjoy so that needs to go.

time penalties for corner cutting ruin games for me and cause more problems, get rid of them and add gravel or make the cars slow when too far off the track.

bluring screens and shaking at high speed shouldn't be in the new game imo. i didn't enjoy it.

no tuning, i just want to race with other people in equal cars to see who's faster. i don't have time to play with setups or buying parts.

damage model like grid 1 would be good, I'm not keen on the damage from grid 2.

touring cars.

being faster by going round a track sideways is utter bullsh+t and needs binning.

having too many different options in the game spreads the community out too much and kills the game, keep it simples----

assists on or off

collisions on forward or off

thats all we need there.

keep it simple for the lobby searching, i remember it being a nightmare on g2.

i fear its already too late for grid autosport now but things might be back on track when grid 4 is ready.

having too many different options in the game spreads the community out too much and kills the game, keep it simples----

assists on or off

thats all we need there.

i fear its already too late for grid autosport now but things might be back on track when grid 4 is ready.

I think most of us have gotten the measure of this one.

People will buy and CM's reputation will nosedive even further . . they ain't going to learn so it's fortunate most of us have found new directions . .

Plenty of comments about streaming chat and spectate but not a squeak from Loore or anyone else . . . same treatment as we always get.

assists on or off

thats all we need there.

I think most of us have gotten the measure of this one.

People will buy and CM's reputation will nosedive even further . . they ain't going to learn so it's fortunate most of us have found new directions . .

Plenty of comments about streaming chat and spectate but not a squeak from Loore or anyone else . . . same treatment as we always get.
i hear you CaptainJack but I'm still clinging on hoping codemasters can bring back the good old days.

im console myself but i know how important the chat is, i remember my kid brother playing grid on PC and the chat was as important as the racing. its clear that its not implemented in this new game as yet but how hard could it be to add?

about text chat is a "maybe" loore said is something they would introduce, without say "yes" or "not"
spectate mode at now  think is impossible...

for me it seems like that CM are already putting in everything I want from it. A grid  1 type career but set at my level. I liked the promise of grid 1 but difficulty wise it was always just that little bit too hard for my liking. I'm not really a hardcore racer as I don't use a wheel or -play at hardcore levels either but I do enjoy going around the racetrack challenging AI and trying to find a way past them to win races or if I'm in front trying to hold them off

RubyRuby said:
Motion blur - can we turn it off?  I get plenty of immersion in GRID with it off.

Frank
First thing I always do is turn off motion blur . . .bloody irritating gimmick.

When riding my M/C if I saw MB like presented in racing games I'd be over the nearest hedge . .

On another point . . . Loore was definitely listening to us, I mean, no chat and no spectate . .yep, siree, he surely was listening.

I hope to see split screen is still there, use all the time!

Jes said:
Split screen is there.
RubyRuby said:
Motion blur - can we turn it off?  I get plenty of immersion in GRID with it off.

Frank

When riding my M/C if I saw MB like presented in racing games I'd be over the nearest hedge . .

On another point . . . Loore was definitely listening to us, I mean, no chat and no spectate . .yep, siree, he surely was listening.
Just because features you wanted aren't in doesn't mean we didn't listen. Unfortunately we had a pretty big list and sometimes you don't get everything you want. We're still looking at chat, isn't a definite no just yet.

Loore said:

Just because features you wanted aren't in doesn't mean we didn't listen. Unfortunately we had a pretty big list and sometimes you don't get everything you want. We're still looking at chat, isn't a definite no just yet.
if is possible to have text chat for release date on 27june, and spectate mode from lobby after few months with the first patch..
you have tamed the horse...

Loore said:
Jes said:
Split screen is there.
RubyRuby said:

Frank

It's easy to say you listen, and because of what that translates into is why I say we only get paid lip service.

I mentioned in an earlier post:

"There is no streaming text chat in SP, there is no Spectate in SP . . . so if we don't get them online, online is no different than SP . . what is the point in racing with "live" players when they only actually exist in the imagination ?
If I can't communicate with a "live" player I might as well play SP . .and if I'm playing SP why would I want to pay for half a game ?"

Through all forums, as they have come and gone, we have never stopped making chat and spectate two of the biggest requests so no matter how big the list is they should have been at the top.

This is going to be an interesting event as we haven't long to wait to see how it unfolds . . . starting with the "pre-order" book.
Many of us have already stated we have no intention of buying anything until after launch of any CM game, and after we have tried our "demo" . .whatever that might be.
When the gloss has worn off, for those who buy on launch, the flaws will start to show . . and on that feedback will our decision be made.

I have read the articles from respected journos, and even from CM staff who were less than happy with Grid 2, all of which confirmed many of the criticisms I directed at CM,and as the saying goes; "you can't kid a kidder".

CM have a long history of making frivolous games so the psychology behind the suggestions in video, magazine, and online that Grid 2 was aimed at a more casual mainstream audience fits that brief perfectly.
This, of course, is why some CM employees, along with the rest of us, have been puzzled by all the floundering around trying to find a direction . . .because let's call it as it obviously is, CM have been directionless for quite a while. This is hardly surprising as saying you are now a serious maker of racing games, have a history of lightweight games (that isn't a criticism, just look at the full list of games produced by the company),, and make comments about directing Grid 2 at the more casual general audience would even have me wondering where I left my identity.

Because of costs and timing if it was down to me I would launch Grid Autosport in June as the " focus group", so to speak.
What I mean by this is Grid Autosport has enough of the features we want to give a feedback of how successful taking this path is.
If it proves to have sufficient success this will confirm the correct direction to take . . .even if that means making what we have been telling you to make all along . . an updated version of Grid 1.

Innovation is a wonderful thing with any imaginative developer wanting to flex their creative muscle, but when you have a winning formula you build on that, not allow innovation to run riot destroying everything that was good and which had created the success in the first place.
When things go wrong you have to trace back to find where it all started to unravel . . .had you done that you would have arrived at the place all the gridders have been shouting about . . .

Loore said:
Jes said:
Split screen is there.
RubyRuby said:

Frank

It's easy to say you listen, and because of what that translates into is why I say we only get paid lip service.

I mentioned in an earlier post:

"There is no streaming text chat in SP, there is no Spectate in SP . . . so if we don't get them online, online is no different than SP . . what is the point in racing with "live" players when they only actually exist in the imagination ?
If I can't communicate with a "live" player I might as well play SP . .and if I'm playing SP why would I want to pay for half a game ?"

Through all forums, as they have come and gone, we have never stopped making chat and spectate two of the biggest requests so no matter how big the list is they should have been at the top.

This is going to be an interesting event as we haven't long to wait to see how it unfolds . . . starting with the "pre-order" book.
Many of us have already stated we have no intention of buying anything until after launch of any CM game, and after we have tried our "demo" . .whatever that might be.
When the gloss has worn off, for those who buy on launch, the flaws will start to show . . and on that feedback will our decision be made.

I have read the articles from respected journos, and even from CM staff who were less than happy with Grid 2, all of which confirmed many of the criticisms I directed at CM,and as the saying goes; "you can't kid a kidder".

CM have a long history of making frivolous games so the psychology behind the suggestions in video, magazine, and online that Grid 2 was aimed at a more casual mainstream audience fits that brief perfectly.
This, of course, is why some CM employees, along with the rest of us, have been puzzled by all the floundering around trying to find a direction . . .because let's call it as it obviously is, CM have been directionless for quite a while. This is hardly surprising as saying you are now a serious maker of racing games, have a history of lightweight games (that isn't a criticism, just look at the full list of games produced by the company),, and make comments about directing Grid 2 at the more casual general audience would even have me wondering where I left my identity.

Because of costs and timing if it was down to me I would launch Grid Autosport in June as the " focus group", so to speak.
What I mean by this is Grid Autosport has enough of the features we want to give a feedback of how successful taking this path is.
If it proves to have sufficient success this will confirm the correct direction to take . . .even if that means making what we have been telling you to make all along . . an updated version of Grid 1.

Innovation is a wonderful thing with any imaginative developer wanting to flex their creative muscle, but when you have a winning formula you build on that, not allow innovation to run riot destroying everything that was good and which had created the success in the first place.
When things go wrong you have to trace back to find where it all started to unravel . . .had you done that you would have arrived at the place all the gridders have been shouting about . . .
+4 What he said.

We wrote many posts in the old GRID 2 forum of where Codies went wrong with GRID 2 online and it seem Codies has only half listen to those many posts.

Multiplayer Do's and Don'ts.

The shocker is GRID 1 was one the few racing games in the laast 9 years to get online pretty much right. Online was still strong after 3 years and the online servers got turned off to soon. Us GRID fans are shaking our heads wondering why Codies can't deliver again. :(

What about car upgrades? they will be in Autosport? Upgrades in multiplayer is one of the biggest mistakes. And imba cars too. Nismo, golf.

Another big negative for Grid Autosport, and one which again points the direction of CM towards frivolous games - not serious racing games - is in putting Flashbacks in online racing.

It beggars belief that the spokesman in the video mumbles on about Grid 2 driving not being realistic so the company is going back to its roots . . .erm, did Grid 1 have Flashbacks, as I recall they first appeared in Dirt 2.
Tell me ? . . how do you equate Flashbacks with REALISTIC driving ?

In my innocence I never realized they could be used online in Dirt 3 and was bloody annoyed to find out people I know were using them.

What it comes down to, and alludes to Purple's last comment; " Why is it so difficult just to make a straight forward racing game ?" . . . I'll answer that myself, too many bloody egos involved.

custom lobby....'flashbacks off'. 

Course that doesn't address the problem of it splitting and diminishing the number of suitable races to choose from at any given time.  Better if they just didn't include daft options in the first place.