Sign in to follow this  

"My Team" mode wishlist for F1 2021

I'll start by saying this: I know it's probably too early for this topic, but I'm excited for the future of this game mode.  It has a good foundation already IMO but it's not deep enough. 

The other reason I'm posting this now; I'm halfway through year four, I'm top of the grid performance wise & my facilities are maxed out with nothing to spend my ever growing bank account on.    That being said, I'm looking at a list of things I'd like to see added next year to help deepen the mode.  Sure, I likely should have upped the AI a bit to make it more of a challenge as I adjusted to this years game, and not ran so many practice programs to max out R&D, but that's not the point, I'm looking at how to deepen the experience.

New Facilities:

• Pit crew & Mechanics - Remember the old R&D tree that affected the pit crew and your pit stop times?  Lets bring that back, but as a facility.  A place for my mechanics to practice their stops and improve my team's pit times.
    • Upgrades to this facility can help reduce pit times
    • Upgrades to this facility can help developing the accuracy of your race strategy
    • Upgrades to this facility can help when repairing damage to your car week to week
    •  
  • R&D Dept - I know we have an R&D tree to develop the car as it is.  Let's split off the R&D department into it's own Facility, instead of as a part of each existing facility.  Each upgrade to the facility itself can do the following:
    • reduce the R&D costs to develop improvements
    • reduce the time it takes to make new parts 
    • Allow for rush development
    • (Yes, I get we're just taking parts off the Aero, Chassis, Durability & Engine facilities, but the goal here is to make the mode deeper. Taking these out of each existing facility, could allow for addition of things to the big 4 car related facilities, or you can leave it in both and can only unlock the R&D elements of each department after this is done.  Lets face it, we can't improve those car area's until we have a functioning R&D dept.  So, yes, I'm splitting this out of the existing facilities with the intent on filling those gaps to make it a deeper mode.
  • Expand current Facilities:
    • implement more area's to invest/upgrade current facilities to add more depth

New Roles/Positions to hire

• Engineer - Allow for hiring of an engineer who will either be real, or fictional characters with ratings that boost your facilities.  Gives you another item to spend money on deeper into the mode.
  • Strategist - Same as above.  Helps to improve accuracy of your practice programs affecting your race strategy info.
  • Team Principal - Maybe this one is redundant since as they player we are actually fulfilling that role.
  • Mechanics - have their own stats, can allow for hiring of them (requiring cash) and they provide weekly boosts to your car/driver stats depending on their skills (chassis, aero, engine, durability, pit crew) etc.    If they show how our car is rated out of 100 (or something) in each department (aero, engine, chassis, durability) these staff positions can provide boosts to your car performance in a key area the employee specializes in.  Kind of like how the current activities system helps temporarily boost our 2nd driver's stats.

Cars

• Having to spend money (not r&D points) to buy/build a new car, or cause you to have to invest cash in addition to R&D points to upgrade car components
  • Cost of cash associated with vehicle upkeep/maintenance after damage, or even replacement of the car itself if you have a bad wreck

Cosmetic

• More livery options
  • More freedom with sponsor placement and color for EACH sponsor location, not having each sponsor slot show in two places on the car with one color.  All 11 spots for sponsors should be able to have their own color choice

Regulation Changes

• Currently we have to replace R&D developments with R&D points
  • Expand to include the need to re-invest CASH into facilities to keep them operating at high levels.  Regulation changes mean new R&D leading to new parts to develop, meaning we likely need to invest in new equipment in those facilities.   So let's have our Facilities take a step back and require a cash investment to update them, just like we have to spend R&D points to update our parts.

I think some of those changes, while not really groundbreaking can help add some depth to the mode requiring more spending & upgrading which gives you more incentive to run deeper and deeper into the mode without slowing the rate you accumulate R&D points & Cash in game now.

Curious to hear what some of you guys would have on your wishlist to improve, expand and deepen a solid foundation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When choosing an engine there should be one additional 'factory' option. This engine has the lowest specs at the beginning but should be the only engine you can develop. For customer engines your upgrades should be dependent on the supplier team. You should however be able to develop fuel related upgrades as you can have a different fuel supplier.

Engine upgrades shouldn't be immediate, they will only work when you swap out an old engine part for a newer spec part.

As a new team you might also opt to 'buy' a chassis instead of manufacturing it yourself, like Haas with Dallara. Also perhaps renting facilities like the wind tunnel to cut costs.

You should be able to hire a chief designer, which will have effect on upgrades too (higher rake, drag focussed, aero focussed, etc.) As design philosophy is quite important in F1.

Being able to choose from multiple nose designs, each with different perks (and looks).

Test/Sim drivers, which you can allocate free practice time (I always skip one training).

Partnerships with F2 teams so you can have a test driver develop himself there, and during FP in your team, this will however cost you some money.

During free practice you get these additional sensors, or flow viz on the car to give it more of a real free practice feel. Depending on your facilities these can also look different or more complicated.

A bigger driver roster which also has some ex-drivers that are not officially retired or currently in a different series (hulk, vettel (?), Wehrlein, etc)

Being able to change the focus of development on the current or next years car

Kimi Raikonen having issues with the drink.

Edited by Dylan6227
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

CM did an amazing job on MyTeam and I love it so far. I truly hope they are going to expand on it in 2021 and here are my views on your points and some suggestions of my own:

On 9/2/2020 at 2:59 AM, petro1319 said:

New Facilities:

• Pit crew & Mechanics - A place for my mechanics to practice their stops and improve my team's pit times.

New Roles/Positions to hire

• Engineer - Allow for hiring of an engineer who will either be real, or fictional characters with ratings that boost your facilities.  Gives you another item to spend money on deeper into the mode.
  • Strategist - Same as above.  Helps to improve accuracy of your practice programs affecting your race strategy info.
  • Mechanics - have their own stats, can allow for hiring of them (requiring cash) and they provide weekly boosts to your car/driver stats depending on their skills (chassis, aero, engine, durability, pit crew) etc.    If they show how our car is rated out of 100 (or something) in each department (aero, engine, chassis, durability) these staff positions can provide boosts to your car performance in a key area the employee specializes in.  Kind of like how the current activities system helps temporarily boost our 2nd driver's stats.

-> More management elements like hiring engineers, strategists, mechanics would be great.

Furthermore: hiring department heads would affect how well each department runs. Maybe you could even try to "steal" e.g. a rival team's head aero engineer through negotiations much like you already can with drivers. (Imagine deciding on getting an Adrian Newey kind of guy to join your team to advance your chances the next season, but with the trade-off of a huge price and angering a rival team.)

On 9/2/2020 at 2:59 AM, petro1319 said:
  • More livery options
  • More freedom with sponsor placement

-> More livery, helmet, suit, ... options would be the greatest thing, but I think we can all agree that CM isn't gonna let go of the Podium Pass / Shop system. That means we won't get a real editor anytime soon. They will want to bring out new stuff regularly as rewards or in the shop. This however shouldn't be a problem if they go with a customisation system like this:

• underlayers for liveries, suits and helmets. These are basic shapes which can be colored and is pretty much the system we have right now in F1 2020,
  • extra overlay elements I would like to call "themes". These overlays could be used to give a real identity to your team as they can be applied over the basic underlayers of your livery, suits, etc. and tie it all together. These themes could be unlocked in the same way as the liveries do. One condition though: a theme is unlocked for everything (livery, helmet, ...) at once. Otherwise the whole point would be lost of course.

I'll try to explain with Mclaren 2019 livery and suit as an example (see below): 

• underlay: basic livery with orange, a black base, a blue back and a blue-black frontwing. The suit is blue with an orange diagonal.
  • overlaying "theme": the little triangle shapes that tie everyting together on both the car and the suits.

Other real life examples of possible themes: the little stars on the back of the Mercedes that helped keep their identity with the switch from silver to black or the iconic yellow nose on the Red Bull that has kept the Red Bull identifiable for more than a decade (although their liveries overal don't change that much).

Going into a new season you can decide to keep the general shape and colors, but make a subtle change with the theme (like Mclaren did in 2020) or you can change the overal color but keep the theme like Mercedes did. Both would result in a new livery that still connects to the same team identity.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:57 AM, Dylan6227 said:

When choosing an engine there should be one additional 'factory' option. This engine has the lowest specs at the beginning but should be the only engine you can develop. For customer engines your upgrades should be dependent on the supplier team.

Also perhaps renting facilities like the wind tunnel to cut costs.

-> I like the idea of developing your own engine. Also more fleshed out partnerships with other (bigger) teams to help advance your development would be cool. The wind tunnel is a great example! This would be really great for a startup team with little resources and who don't have good departments and department heads yet.

-> Other customisation suggestions:

• more freedom in decal placement: scaling, moving and rotating + multi tone colors to better match your livery + customizing car numbers. Also more control on sponsor customisation on suits and helmets.
  • adding your chosen engine supplier, #WeRaceAsOne, Pirelli, F1 logo, etc. as decals to mix up your livery and look more in tune with the rest of the grid.
  • more options on you badge (combining them with more color variantion). Also having the badge shapes as decals (e.g. the Red Bull or Alfa Romeo logos on the side of their cars).
  • some sponsors want you to use their company colors (e.g. pink BWT Force India) but will pay handsomely if you do

-> Other gameplay suggestions:

• more drivers from F2, F3, Formula E, reserve drivers, the Hulk, etc. The younger ones also evolve with passing seasons and join the F1 ranks more frequently.
  • reputation and relationships between you and other drivers, teams, engineers, press ... which will affect what contracts you can get, what engine manufacterers want to supply you, what junior drivers will be available, etc. The whole wind tunnel thing is again a great example of something you can only get if you have a good relationship with another team.
  • more random events and more challenges in later seasons. Examples: drastically changing regulations that "punish" the player (e.g. Ferrari's engine troubles in 2020), a bad sponsor that has screwed you financially (e.g. Rich Energy) or maybe even drivers gettin ill and be unable to drive.
  • other teams liveries change (slightly) between seasons as well. This could be a licensing nightmare though. Maybe the "theme" as explained above could vary a bit while their colors, sponsors, etc. stay the same througout the game?
  • being able to port your character and MyTeam career from the 2020 game to 2021. Maybe only allow a 1 season save or reset most development from a later save to keep balance?

-> Minor suggestions:

• watch your race when you simulate
  • post-race highlights show the most interesting bits of all the cars. A new option "personal highlights" still only shows your bits.

skysports-f1-mcl34-mclaren_4578065.jpg

Edited by F1Stijn22
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

A big one for me in my team mode would be the ability to choose components more than simply an engine supplier. You can start as a customer team where you are borrowing aero components, gearboxes from different teams as you see often with smaller teams in F1.

Also you should definitely be able to have your own engines. This doesn't need to be overly complex. A simple slider mechanic offering a certain amount of points available for your own engine, power, top speed reliability maybe. Allowing you to create a powerful engine at the cost of reliability etc. This also gives us the option to be a 'real' manufacturer, I.e if I want to be Porsche, I should be using my own engine, it makes little sense for Porsche for example, to be using a Honda engine.

• Agree 1