Sign in to follow this  

Make Steam default to DX11

Steam always asks if I want to start the game with DX12 or DX11. Last years game was much more stable with DX11, so I don't want to take any chances with crashes. It gets annoying having to choose every time I start the game, so can I make Steam default to one option? 

image.png

Read the readme in the game folder.

Also consider to stop living in the past, or sort out your DX12 setup. And this is not a TA query, it's a GD topic, thanks.

25 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Read the readme in the game folder.

I can't find anything regarding this in the readme

28 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Also consider to stop living in the past, or sort out your DX12 setup.

Yeah, I'm not willing to change up my hardware just to play dx12 f1 2020

1 minute ago, BASEFlow said:

I can't find anything regarding this in the readme

Yeah, I'm not willing to change up my hardware just to play dx12 f1 2020

It would have to be pretty old and / or not meet the minimum spec. Everything minimum spec has DX12 / W10 drivers, except esoteric sound cards and headphones.

Starting the game from a shortcut with an argument is covered, is it not? If not, ask why.

20 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Starting the game from a shortcut with an argument is covered, is it not?

No, it's not. The closest thing mentioned is the "-safemode" startup option

3 hours ago, BASEFlow said:

Steam always asks if I want to start the game with DX12 or DX11. Last years game was much more stable with DX11, so I don't want to take any chances with crashes.

This year's game has been extremely stable with DX12.  Probably the equivalent of last year's game with DX11?  What's the basis for your concern, that last year's game wasn't as stable with DX12?  Have you tried F1 2020 with DX12 yet, or are you just assuming it will crash more often than with DX11?  Your post does not make it clear at all.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Flash42G said:

This year's game has been extremely stable with DX12.  Probably the equivalent of last year's game with DX11?  What's the basis for your concern, that last year's game wasn't as stable with DX12?  Have you tried F1 2020 with DX12 yet, or are you just assuming it will crash more often than with DX11?  Your post does not make it clear at all.

Maybe DX12 is extremely stable, I don't deny that. I haven't tried DX12, because I didn't want to lose any progress. But that wasn't even the point of this post. I just wanted to know if I could make Steam default to one of these options, so that the game just launches when I click on "Play", without showing this:

image.png

Just now, BASEFlow said:

Maybe DX12 is extremely stable, I don't deny that. I haven't tried DX12, because I didn't want to lose any progress. But that wasn't even the point of this post. I just wanted to know if I could make Steam default to one of these options, so that the game just launches when I click on "Play", without showing this:

image.png

so try it ***** you want to change smoething that you didn't test man i say it i like to play on dx12 and want to play with it and you want to game play on dx11 without chosing what dx you want...so yea you are selfish *******...get outta here man don't take making choice for everyone 

1 minute ago, ZtwoA said:

so try it ***** you want to change smoething that you didn't test man i say it i like to play on dx12 and want to play with it and you want to game play on dx11 without chosing what dx you want...so yea you are selfish *******...get outta here man don't take making choice for everyone 

Mate, I don't want the game to start with DX11 for everyone. I just wanted to know if there's a way for ME to do that. Some workaround in Steam itself or whatever

2 minutes ago, BASEFlow said:

Mate, I don't want the game to start with DX11 for everyone. I just wanted to know if there's a way for ME to do that. Some workaround in Steam itself or whatever

so maybe to take i chance and try dx12 cause yea in previous game it was more unstable but in this 0% crashes on dx12 so just trust us and go for dx12 and it will not crash and to there is no way to make steam always open with dx11 and why is this annoying to you XD you are frist person to make a post about it

1 hour ago, ZtwoA said:

so maybe to take i chance and try dx12 cause yea in previous game it was more unstable but in this 0% crashes on dx12 so just trust us and go for dx12 and it will not crash and to there is no way to make steam always open with dx11 and why is this annoying to you XD you are frist person to make a post about it

No, I get his question - I always choose DX12, but I have to at a minimum click to confirm - it WOULD be nice for it to remember your selection or to be able to tell it to start with one or the other, instead of having to pick and click every time.

8 hours ago, BASEFlow said:

Steam always asks if I want to start the game with DX12 or DX11. Last years game was much more stable with DX11, so I don't want to take any chances with crashes. It gets annoying having to choose every time I start the game, so can I make Steam default to one option? 

image.png

You could do this in F1 2019, so maybe this will work in F1 2020 too.

For F1 2019:

right click on F1 2019 in steam library, select 'manage', and then 'add desktop shortcut'.

Shortcut will appear on your desktop, right click on it, and select 'properties'.

Now, where it says 'steam://rungameid/928600'

change it to :

'steam://launch/928600/option2'  (without the quotes).

This will launch the game in DX11.

The same process may well work for F1 2020.

(I can't take credit for this, it was posted some time ago on Steam, but it definitely works for me in F1 2019).

EDIT BTW, option1 will default to DX12

Edited by Morsify

I may have misremembered this. It doesn't work in F1 2020 but the F1 2019 solution may be what I was thinking of.

And the Steam option -dx11 or -d3d11 or dxlevel (whatever 11 is e.g. DX9 is 90 or 95 is neither specified nor does it work if you guess 110, 111 or 112).

Really F1 2020 DX12 extremly stable then why is that after I don't play it for a while & I decide to play it when I load up the game in DX12 from steam after a while I get the game loading up then it locks up with a white pale screen of the main title screen with a blue loading circle as my mouse pointer then it comes up with either the EGO Dumper or the F1.EXE is not responding but it gives me the option to close the game or wait for the game to respond alll this happens after I press the button to start the game yet in 2019 DX12 I have had no issues my PC spec is                                        

I5 8400 2,80GHZ

8GB DDR4 2666mhz x1 stick

GTX 1060 6GB graphics card 

I have the resolution set to 1920x 1080 I also have the graphics set to max.

And the game is installed on a 8TB Western Digital USb 3.0 External HDD I also have the game on Xbox One & PS4 I don't get issues like this with those versions I have to admit I have not tried the DX11 version to see if I have issues with that. All the above settings like graphics & resolution are the same as in F1 2019.

Edited by dangerousbrian0