Jump to content Jump to content

Car not automatically selecting 1st gear when Clutch is engaged for manual start

Curious to know if anyone else has experienced this bug. I’ve searched the forum but can’t find any mention of it. If it has been reported someone pls direct me to the thread?  

This bug has occurred intermittently for me on both F1 2019 (PS4) & now F1 2020 (PC) since launch right up to the current 1.08 patch.

When I’m on the grid (for the formation lap & race start) the car should automatically go into 1st gear (from neutral) once the clutch has been engaged & the revs rise above a certain RPM. Launching the car is then simply a matter of releasing the clutch when the lights go out & away we goooooo.... This is the normal “manual” start behaviour the game is supposed to have (correct me if I’m wrong).

Anyway, the bug I’m experiencing stops the car from automatically selecting first gear. For the formation lap this is no biggie as the game actually will let me manually select 1st & then I can launch the car as normal by releasing the clutch when the car ahead starts to move. For the actual race start though, the game will only let me manually select first gear (whether the clutch is engaged or not doesn’t matter) after the lights have gone out AND the clutch has been disengaged :classic_wacko:

Worse still, The game will happily give me a jump start penalty if I disengage the clutch before the lights have gone out but while the car is still sitting in neutral so obviously cannot have moved. Many, many rage quits have thus ensued :classic_angry:

Interestingly, the bug never affects launching the car after a pit stop - presumably because the gear displayed is “P”. 

OK, So it’s not a “game breaking” bug, but it IS frustrating as hell - particularly as it seems to happen without any rhyme or reason. Sometimes I don’t see it occur for weeks & other times I’m having to play around it for weeks.

Funnily enough, I did not experience it once during the beta. 

Note: I’ve previously been able to get the manual starts working properly again (1st gear is selected automatically once the clutch is engaged & the revs rise above a certain rpm) by going into controller settings via the pause menu & enabling the default g29 profile & then enabling my desired - customised - profile again straight after. Unfortunately this “workaround” stopped working around the time of the black Mercedes patch... 

Will edit this post in a lil bit to include the proper bug report template & a vid of it happening.

Edited by Guga_Cyr
Spelling
  • A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here.

See my long-winded post above

• Platform

PC (but also experienced it on F1 2019 on PS4 - with the same wheel).

• What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen)

The latest & greatest, 1.08 

• Game-mode?

Driver career & My team career

• We need to be able to make your problem happen internally so we can fix the issue. Can you make the problem happen again?

The problem comes & goes without warning. Has occurred from the very start when I play the game, but it has also come out of nowhere after I’ve been playing a wheel (have had it spring up both when I restart a race or when I move to the next race when the previous race it was fine)

• How do you make the problem happen?

I don’t. The game does. At a whim. 

Worse still, it can go away again on a whim too, but I’ve found once it appears I’m stuck with it for at least a few days. 

Relaunching the game & rebooting my pc (or my ps4 as was the case last year) doesn’t seem to have any bearing on whether it occurs or not.

UPDATE: the bug occurs when the shifter is in any gear & goes away again when the shifter is placed in neutral. 

• What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue

Detailed description of a workaround that has since stopped working in the post above, but the TL;DR is enabling a different control profile then enabling my desired - customised - controller profile straight after. 

Have also managed to make it go away once or twice by removing the binding for the clutch & then configuring it again. 

• What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc)

Logitech G29

• Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.

Yeah, it’s uploading now. Will add it shortly. 

Edited by Guga_Cyr
added update
1 hour ago, bobbythehuman said:

This has happened to me a few times. I believe it might be you shifter being in gear since that was what I find causing the problem. If that is the case try unplugging ur shifter or change the buttons of it to something else that you don’t use, then it should work fine.

I’ll give it a try,  thanks so much! 

Update: The shifter being in (any) gear was exactly the problem... And it is now infinitely replicated too - So while this bug is minor in comparison to others plaguing the game atm, it would be great to have it fixed. 

Having to employ workarounds for a product developed by “masters of code” as they claim to be, stopped being ironic years ago. 

@bobbythehuman thanks again for the help!

Edited by Guga_Cyr
Quotation marks
  • 7 months later...

A similar problem arose for me.  Manual starts keep failing.  The clutch never engages so I sit dead on the grid whether I use thrustmaster TMX wheel or hand controller. Unplugged, updated and rebooted everything but no change. Never had this problem in years of CM F1 games but now the same problem in both 2019 and 2020 games. 

This problem annoyes me still. It is never a problem in unranked races. But in Liga Races where the responsible persons set in the Gameplay-Settings the option Race-Start to manuall instead of 'supported' or 'assisted' (what ever it is called in english).

But I don't get your saying:

"Update: The shifter being in (any) gear was exactly the problem..."

What does this mean? I don't understand, because at race start there is no gear, it is Neutral.

Edited by vTeritron
13 hours ago, vTeritron said:

This problem annoyes me still. It is never a problem in unranked races. But in Liga Races where the responsible persons set in the Gameplay-Settings the option Race-Start to manuall instead of 'supported' or 'assisted' (what ever it is called in english).

But I don't get your saying:

"Update: The shifter being in (any) gear was exactly the problem..."

What does this mean? I don't understand, because at race start there is no gear, it is Neutral.

Having the shifter controller in a selected gear position instead of neutral (no gear selected). It applies if you have a shifter (physical gearstick not paddle selectors).