Jump to content Jump to content

DiRT 4 possibilities?

JZStudios

JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
As a side note, maybe DiRT 4 could incorporate more real tracks?
All the track we have so far in DiRT Rally are real
Are they? I know Pikes Peak obviously is, but I thought the rally stages were sculpted based on locations. A bit like Horizon and Horizon 2. I remember hearing the devs talk about creating stages based around going for thinner goat paths etc. not made for cars. There was also a thread where some someone was talking about the bogus names the tracks have.
Yep, all real; there's a comparison video of the Col du Turini stage somewhere.

Sweet Lamb is the genuine stage and I think the other UK stage is also part of Hafren or the roads around.

I was surprised to see that the Greek stages were real, as I didn't know them; but there is a link showing them on Google maps somewhere.

The German stages are exact replicas of the Panzerplatte stages in the real Rally Germany. If you find a video of the stage, you can recognise bits that are in the game.

The Finland and Sweden stages are also real, but not 100% sure which ones yet (Kakaristo and Vargasen are my educated guesses) - @rallycameraman knows which ones they're doing!

I applaud this and they are the best rally stages I've ever seen in gaming, but selfishly I want more, more, more. Personally, I don't want to see stages made for different types of rallying yet, I'd rather see more 'normal' rally stages as it's not hard to learn the ones we have, seeing as each is so unique and used so many times in each event. If there were four stages in seven or eight locations, I'd say "look at something else, sure", but I'm unlikely to keep hoping until then.

The issue is that the stages themselves are huge. Each one (split into two for each location) is like a Nurburgring in a road racing game. Rally Raid stages or something Dakar-esque would need to be even longer, likely moreso than the engine could cope with if you were looking for something realistic. Given the choice, I'd go for more rally stages/locations 100 times out of 100 (and would be happy to pay for them as DLC).

The Finland and Sweden stages are also real, but not 100% sure which ones yet (Kakaristo and Vargasen are my educated guesses) - @rallycameraman knows which ones they're doing!

I am pretty sure Vargåsen will make it. As this is a series based on Colin Mcrae. That stage even has a jump named after him ; Colins crest
JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
Are they? I know Pikes Peak obviously is, but I thought the rally stages were sculpted based on locations. A bit like Horizon and Horizon 2. I remember hearing the devs talk about creating stages based around going for thinner goat paths etc. not made for cars. There was also a thread where some someone was talking about the bogus names the tracks have.

Sweet Lamb is the genuine stage and I think the other UK stage is also part of Hafren or the roads around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvKNfi1suIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vByLmmLqEZE

JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
JZStudios said:

I was surprised to see that the Greek stages were real, as I didn't know them; but there is a link showing them on Google maps somewhere.

The German stages are exact replicas of the Panzerplatte stages in the real Rally Germany. If you find a video of the stage, you can recognise bits that are in the game.

I applaud this and they are the best rally stages I've ever seen in gaming, but selfishly I want more, more, more. Personally, I don't want to see stages made for different types of rallying yet, I'd rather see more 'normal' rally stages as it's not hard to learn the ones we have, seeing as each is so unique and used so many times in each event. If there were four stages in seven or eight locations, I'd say "look at something else, sure", but I'm unlikely to keep hoping until then.

The issue is that the stages themselves are huge. Each one (split into two for each location) is like a Nurburgring in a road racing game. Rally Raid stages or something Dakar-esque would need to be even longer, likely moreso than the engine could cope with if you were looking for something realistic. Given the choice, I'd go for more rally stages/locations 100 times out of 100 (and would be happy to pay for them as DLC).
Very interesting. As much as I like driving and racing, I'm not really that into following races, tracks drivers etc... but nice to know they're real tracks.

I am pretty sure Vargåsen will make it. As this is a series based on Colin Mcrae. That stage even has a jump named after him ; Colins crest
Colin McRae has nothing to do with DiRT rally, they haven't used his name since DiRT 2.

Bronfelen/River Severn Valley is genuine too, actually on the map it sits right on top of Sweet Lamb/Geufron Forest. At Sweet Lamb's first time split, there's a junction to the right, with cars parked there. Right there's the start of Bronfelen.

Colin McRae has nothing to do with DiRT rally, they haven't used his name since DiRT 2.
If the Colin Mcrae games never would be made, we wouldn't have Dirt Rally. No, THIS game does not have his name on it.

If the Colin Mcrae games never would be made, we wouldn't have Dirt Rally. No, THIS game does not have his name on it.
Umm No they would have still created the DiRT series even without his name.

Umm No they would have still created the DiRT series even without his name.
Probably not. CMR1 was the game that started it all. 
You are saying something along the lines of " Super Mario Galaxy 2 would ofc be made, even if Nintendo never released the nes, or the snes, or the N64, or the Gamecube and all the mario games on there."
This is also going completely off topic and going nowhere so if you wan't to continue talking about this, send me a PM.
enamel said:
Think of how much different the series would have been if Tommi Makinen Rally was the game that started it all.
I bet everyone would've been all over Tommi instead, while Colin would've been seen as just another rally driver.
Taking account all the planed content and assuming at the end we'll have at least the double of the cars we started with in the Early Access and the other rallies will have the same pattern of two main stages with long and short versions, so, content-wise i will want one more stage per rally with double the distance of the stages we already have in (most are 10km-ish, so i want a 20km+ stage, shorter versions would be two 10km stages :smile:  ) 3 more RX tracks and 2 more hillclimbs and more cars of course
It's a realistic expectation, as we know they can pull of this amount of content in 1 or 2 years
No, Colin was already more than 'just another rally driver' that's why Codies picked him over Tommi..
I would venture to say the reason Colin McRae was picked had much more to do with a UK development studio wanting to go with the UK driver in the UK built car (Prodrive) than anything else.

But I was mostly just trolling a little by trying to point out that the games would have been just as awesome and successful with another driver on the cover.
Well... there was also the little detail that Europress got the Tommi Mäkinen license and made their own game which was released 2 weeks before Colin McRae Rally.
Which is why Tommi is missing from the competitors list in CMR, despite the game having the FIA WRC license, in much the same way that Jacques Villeneuve was missing from F1 games.
To the point where games would let you edit the driver names so you could put him back in.
Or as a means of cheat code entry.

Given how stiff and by the numbers the games are now, it's mental to think that the officially licensed F1 game of 1997 by Psygnosis had a zero-gravity Wipeout 2097 mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DoUgd5PZ4Q

As for Tommi... erm... well, it's a sight to behold. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQjmQOGEqCM
enamel said:
No, Colin was already more than 'just another rally driver' that's why Codies picked him over Tommi..
I would venture to say the reason Colin McRae was picked had much more to do with a UK development studio wanting to go with the UK driver in the UK built car (Prodrive) than anything else.

But I was mostly just trolling a little by trying to point out that the games would have been just as awesome and successful with another driver on the cover.
But they wouldn't, people bought into the game because of Colin McRae.

Tommi had a game, there was also V-Rally and the WRC had their games out at the same time, the Rallisport Challenges came out a couple of years later, Richard brought his out after he won the Championship. Between 2003 and 2009 there was only 1 rally game manufacturer making rally games, because even during the rally game drought one thing that consistently sold, and that was the name Colin McRae.

Tommi was World Champion 4 times during the reign of the Colin McRae series, the Mitsi Evo was top car, but ask anyone about late 90's/early 2000's rally and they think of the hard driving Scot in a blue Scooby.

Tommi may have been the World Champion but Colin was the peoples Champion.

In fact, I have 2 younger brothers, 1 is 30, owns a blue Subaru WRX, the other is 28 and his favourite car is the blue Subaru 22b, ask them why and their answer is the same "Colin McRae", yet the 30 year old didn't get into rally until Colin was driving a Focus and the 28 year doesn't really like rally.
enamel said:

But they wouldn't, people bought into the game because of Colin McRae.

Tommi had a game, there was also V-Rally and the WRC had their games out at the same time, the Rallisport Challenges came out a couple of years later, Richard brought his out after he won the Championship. Between 2003 and 2009 there was only 1 rally game manufacturer making rally games, because even during the rally game drought one thing that consistently sold, and that was the name Colin McRae.

Tommi was World Champion 4 times during the reign of the Colin McRae series, the Mitsi Evo was top car, but ask anyone about late 90's/early 2000's rally and they think of the hard driving Scot in a blue Scooby.

Tommi may have been the World Champion but Colin was the peoples Champion.

In fact, I have 2 younger brothers, 1 is 30, owns a blue Subaru WRX, the other is 28 and his favourite car is the blue Subaru 22b, ask them why and their answer is the same "Colin McRae", yet the 30 year old didn't get into rally until Colin was driving a Focus and the 28 year doesn't really like rally.
That may be the case for you, but for the population at large?
I'm afraid to say that it was more the game that made Colin McRae a pop culture icon, rather than him making the game a smash.
The blue Subaru is iconic, but it's the 98 model or later most people immediately think of first with it's big spoiler and chunky body, not Colin's championship winning 555.
That's because of the game.
An awful lot of people bought into Colin McRae because of the game.

Colin McRae Rally was the right game at exactly the right time.
It was released very soon after the original Gran Turismo turned the entire concept of a driving/racing game on it's head.
The Playstation was the dominant console and in the immediate wake of Gran Turismo, gamers were HOT for racing games.

The reviews were clear and, in a largely pre-internet world where magazines were one of the major factors in selling a game, that mattered.
"This is the Gran Turismo of Rally games."
Despite a large collection of rally cars in GT, including the Celica, Impreza and Lancer, (and they were GOOD cars in that game. Relatively cheap but able to progress you pretty far through the events) actual rally wasn't introduced to the series until GT2.

It was the perfect storm. If it had been a bad game, then the series would have faded into obscurity, regardless of if it retained the McRae name or not. They were good games, so they persevered.

That said, let's remember that whilst it retained it in much of the world for brand recognition, the "Colin McRae" part was dropped in North America since 2007 and the release of DiRT, which was before his passing.
The 98 Subaru = the 22b.

I agree that the mix of game and name were the perfect storm, you needed both to make the powerhouse that became the Codemasters Colin McRae DiRT series. But the original game would not have sold as well if it had been called Codemasters Rally. At the time of it's release Colin was the biggest name in Rallying.

Archived