Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×

[PC] [Multiplayer] UDP Participant and Lobby data incorrect Name for all - "Player"

I originally posted here F1® 2020 | UDP Specification however then realised that was under the 2019 Tech Assitance forum, so thought I would post this here instead.

• In Multiplayer when receiving UDP data for Lobby and Participant we only receive "Player" for everyone. This is not meant to be the case. In the 
  • Platform = PC
  • Ranked/Unranked/Leagues - Tested on Unranked and Ranked
  • Wired or Wireless Connection? Wired connection.
  • The number of players in your session? Any - I've seen it happen on all size lobbies
  • I was not the host, I was spectating in most, When this question was asked here I did try and host however this caused the same issue (or seemed to)
  • It is unknown if others see the same as trying to get others to use a beta software I'm building is almost impossible when in public lobbies
  • To recreate the issue listen to the UDP lobby or participant data and the Name is "Player", a video has been attached.

I found a reply on Page 5 of the UDP Spec which mentions that this is the same subject every year. If that's the case instead of saying you're going to send the Steam ID maybe say that those fields are deprecated and/or not in use. Something @Hoo mentioned (although it doesn't mention PC) is that this is due to Console manufacturers not liking it due to privacy, has this now changed and include PC as names/steamIds are no longer sent in all cases

Edited by LuckyNoS7evin

As far as i know they were gonna add this back this year but right before release they thought better of it and thought it a better idea to have our race engineers enter all the names for the drivers themselves before every race. (In team telemetry you can do this) 

Seeing as we already have access to their steam names by watching the stream/playing the game with them  i don't really understand why. 

1 hour ago, Bicarda said:

As far as i know they were gonna add this back this year but right before release they thought better of it and thought it a better idea to have our race engineers enter all the names for the drivers themselves before every race. (In team telemetry you can do this) 

Seeing as we already have access to their steam names by watching the stream/playing the game with them  i don't really understand why. 

Yes that’s the issue, I’m building Discord Bots and Twitch Extensions to run leagues and although I can get folks to enter team cars one by one, the app update and I can link twitch or discord signups with the right person in the lobby it’s something I could have done programmatically. 

Now however, it’s going to take a good few minutes to get this working, especially race selection and getting folks to enter cars “as they go”. I’m lucky we are using Official Teams and not My Team cars as that would just not work.

4 minutes ago, LuckyNoS7evin said:

Yes that’s the issue, I’m building Discord Bots and Twitch Extensions to run leagues and although I can get folks to enter team cars one by one, the app update and I can link twitch or discord signups with the right person in the lobby it’s something I could have done programmatically. 

Now however, it’s going to take a good few minutes to get this working, especially race selection and getting folks to enter cars “as they go”. I’m lucky we are using Official Teams and not My Team cars as that would just not work.

That sounds like an awesome idea though! we've been looking into the posibility of more integration with twitch/the discord for a long time. 
Care to explain what you're aiming at with it? 

But yeah this just needs to get fixed. it was working in 2018.. 

8 minutes ago, Bicarda said:

That sounds like an awesome idea though! we've been looking into the posibility of more integration with twitch/the discord for a long time. 
Care to explain what you're aiming at with it? 

But yeah this just needs to get fixed. it was working in 2018.. 

I have several under way.

1) true leaderboard - displays delta with penalties included. Updates once per second on the twitch side. Would have used steam Id to convert to display name for display use

2) league bot - this is discord and twitch integration. Signups are done via discord or twitch. This would have been linked with steam Id, so when running a league race, “race control” select the race, the entrants are all linked and away you go. 

3) other custom stuffs I’ve been working on with folks.

I’ve also just created S7evemetry (still in beta on NuGet) an open source SDK in dotnet core which I’m trying to integrate with as many sim racing APIs as possible. This is the basis for most of the extra software I’m writing.

Edited by LuckyNoS7evin
Added beta comment

2 minutes ago, LuckyNoS7evin said:

I have several under way.

1) true leaderboard - displays delta with penalties included. Updates once per second on the twitch side. Would have used steam Id to convert to display name for display use

2) league bot - this is discord and twitch integration. Signups are done via discord or twitch. This would have been linked with steam Id, so when running a league race, “race control” select the race, the entrants are all linked and away you go. 

3) other custom stuffs I’ve been working on with folks.

I’ve also just created S7evemetry (still in beta on NuGet) an open source SDK in dotnet core which I’m trying to integrate with as many sim racing APIs as possible. This is the basis for most of the extra software I’m writing.

My god! you're doing the lords work here (and a tiny bit Codemasters work too) 
A true leaderboard on twitch would be awesome. For years the devs have tried their hardest but haven't been able to have penalties visible for spectators. 

And the twitch/discord integration for leagues too. Would make it all so much smoother and easier. 

Any chance you will like.. release this so we could use it too? 😉 sounds super interesting!

@BarryBL  @RedDevilKT @codemasters

Please fix the telemetry names so this man can get it to work. It's long overdue among other things.

• Thanks 1