F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

I had an engine failure!

Practice 2 at spa Team Manor engine blew up at first I thought it was invisible wall bug or something looked at replay and I was smoking for last 3 turns.

Engineers naturally said nothing to me and it ended very suddenlty I was not able to really pull ip but was a first for me in f1 games.

Parts were worm but not heavily in the 70% range.

• Like 2

It sucks that it happened to you, but I’m glad that it’s been implemented into the game for players as well, and not just the AI. 

2 minutes ago, DirtDiver25 said:

It sucks that it happened to you, but I’m glad that it’s been implemented into the game for players as well, and not just the AI. 

it has been for some time now in game you just need to get above 60% wear of some of engine parts and there is a chance to failure

Didnt know that still I guess I wont just use worn parts all time for practice now needed that track time ha

6 minutes ago, ZtwoA said:

it has been for some time now in game you just need to get above 60% wear of some of engine parts and there is a chance to failure

I know, I was referring to previous games. 

Interesting.  I've never seen it happen.  I tend to run my engine components until the game doesn't allow me to activate them any more.   Of course once they get above 75 I usually use those components for practice sessions, but when Qualy rolls around I swap them all out to my "race components".    I'm surprised though that this happened because I've never seen it and I've ran an ICE to about 97% before.  Yeah, I've driven around with smoke puffs out the back of the car before, but never seen an actual failure.  I always just assumed it would happen if i crossed the 100% threshold during a session.

Out of curiosity, what damage setting are you running, full or reduced?  I believe I have mine set to reduced simply because I'm without a wheel which can make things a bit unnaturally complicated.  Maybe that's why I've never seen a failure?  If that's the case, I'll switch back to full and just use flashbacks for some of the controller hiccups you can experience.

Never had that happen either, even with ~80 wear on some components in a practice PU. Are you using simulation damage?

I thought I was on simulation but turns out I had it on full damage I have just put it on simulation now.

Most worn part was 76% but the control electronics are now unusable so seems that was the issues somehow ha

Honda power unit

Edited by AdamFreeman
  • Like 2

I've had engine failure during practice before, but that occurred when my Turbo reached 100%+ wear.

When one or more opponents gone up to 90%+ wear you car will starts to smoke, once it finally fails the screen will be exactly like you had a terminal damage (death cam), and Jeff will ask are you okay as if you had an actual crash (as if the game never expected you or designed to had player's car failure).

Edited by DRTApophis

It's decent but it really should be possible for parts like the ICU to fail fully before high wear. You can get random engine failures in F1 when they're new. We used to get them in Sony's F1 games but Codemasters have had an aversion to this for a long time. Steve Hood, a guy who was creative director (or a position like that) in the first few Codemasters F1 games, said something like they didn't want to alienate people with a random element like that which could be a turn off for people. I recognise some names on here who seem familiar from way back then so they might remember it too.

Dunno what the people in charge of that stuff at CM think of the issue these days but going by recent games, they don't think much differently. A big engine failure when you're leading by ten seconds is gutting, but that's part of the enjoyment and fun. Wish we'd get that back again.