Jump to content Jump to content

DNF

Malarky94

Hello fellow racers,

So I was wondering, for those of us who play career mode/MyTeam.. Do you take a DNF when you crash or get hit, etc?
I personally allow myself one and only one flashback during a race and definitely don't take it when I go wide in a corner or something, if I go wide and lose a position or more because of that, well, that's my own fault. 
But if I crash out and it was just a loss of concentration or because Jeff suddenly blasts through my ears, I sometimes allow myself a flashback. 

However, today I was doing the Dutch grand-prix in MyTeam. 
First time ever driving that circuit on an F1 game, so I practiced alot in time trial (think something like 70+) laps and found out that I'm actually pretty damn fast around Zandvoort.
So in MyTeam I qualified p7 (AI difficulty 100) with a car that usually battles the Haas cars in qualifying for p15 or p16. I was ecstatic as this could very well be my second points finish after a p10 in Australia. 
On top of that, it's my home grand-prix so I even changed my helmet to an orange color and was already dreaming of a season-best result at my home race.

On lap 1 I actually manage to get the jump on Leclerc in front of me and end up in p6. Zandvoort being as narrow as it is, I managed to defend against him pretty well untill he overtook me on lap 6. Albon quickly followed. Then the rain hits, 2-3 laps later we all pit for Inters and I manage to jump him and Albon with the pitstop and end up in p5. Race is going well, a few scares here and there in the fast chicanes with a bit of a slide but I'm handling it so far. 
Then the rain hits even more, and Leclerc behind me loses control and crashes out (checked the replay, I never hit him nor did he hit me). Safety car comes out, I immediately pit for wets but all the other cars don't just yet. Safety car goes in, they pit, I end up in p1 somehow. I'm there like, okay this is my chance to score a lot of points so I'm going to push like crazy. However Hamilton, Bottas, Vettel and Verstappen all had a different idea about that and it didn't take long for me to be in p5 again. 
Then we pit for Inters again, I lose a bit of time during the pitstop and Perez closes the gap quickly. We're in lap 40 by now and in the fast chicane at turn 6 and 7 he tries to go on the inside, I leave him a lot of space knowing that he's faster anyway and he starts sliding, hits me and I crash out quite spectacularly I must say.. 

At this point I'm a bit sad because this was my best chance to score good amount of points for my Peugeot F1 team. And I must've checked the replay from all kinds of PoV at least a 100 times to see if it wasn't just my fault or that I closed the door on him, but I didn't. It was really him who lost control of his car. 
I ended up retiring and taking the DNF, because I like to keep the game realistic. And DNFs are unfortunately also a part of the sport. 
I'm still really really gutted because I invested so much time in learning Zandvoort and finding out I am actually rather good at it. And I now have to wait a whole season again before I get the chance to redeem myself at Zandvoort. But again, I like to keep it realistic. 

I must say, it was REALLY tempting for me to use a flashback and cheat my way to some points, but I'm sure I would've regretted that. 
The only thing that leaves me with a really bad aftertaste is seeing that Perez still managed p8 even after losing his front wing in the crash with me. He didn't get any penalty at all or whatsoever. 

So how are you guys with taking/handling DNFs? 
I mean, this is probably the most gutting DNF I've ever had to take in an F1 game, but I guess it adds to the realism.

• Like 5

I have turned flashbacks off and take DNFs to keep it as realistic as possible.

I did about 30 laps of practice for Monaco the other day - qualified 9th on full qualy  - then crashed on lap 3... was gutted but I took the DNF. First of my season. 

The kerb on turn one spun me into the wall. Same line I had done through practice and qualy but then the game decided...NOPE! You will no longer have grip and I shall spin you. 

I can understand someone taking a flashback for something like that.

However...

I raced at Baku tonight - qualified 13th and was up to 10th by lap 6.

Jeff then decided to randomly shout in my ear during the braking zone of turn one and I grazed the wall and broke my wing.

Had to do the full lap and lost a lot of time. PItted onto hards and was stuck 15 seconds off the back of the pack for around 15 dull and lonely laps. 

The AI made their pits and I managed to gain some positions - the hard tyres started to come to life with about 4 laps left and I finished P7. Chuffed.

Not using a flashback made the result all the more fulfilling. 

• Like 3

What damage do you set yours on? Are you on simulation?

I normally play sim damage but flashbacks on and I do use them for things like major damage or retirement. I'm thinking about turning it off though for the new season I am about to start, maybe just use the mid session save function as my car enters the pits.

I play on simulation. And I used to use flashbacks to undo terminal damage in previous F1 games, but I stopped doing that. 
Even though it's actually gutting after putting so much work into a race in practice, quali, etc. in the long run it feels more realistic and more satisfying when you can bounce back from a bad result like that.

In F1 2017 I DNF'ed twice from Silverstone 2 seasons in a row. It was the only circuit I had yet to achieve a win at, absolutely gutting but damn it felt so satisfying when I finally won it.

18 hours ago, Ukbordoy said:

What damage do you set yours on? Are you on simulation?

I normally play sim damage but flashbacks on and I do use them for things like major damage or retirement. I'm thinking about turning it off though for the new season I am about to start, maybe just use the mid session save function as my car enters the pits.

Full damage, no flashbacks. Good practice for online. If there's some funny business with the AI on the opening lap, I might restart the session.

• 6 months later...

I don't use flashbacks (disabled from menù), 110 AI, sim damage, strict limits (even if they are just unrealistic i have them in both leagues, so just to don't get used to wider limits i use them also in any other mode) no assist (not even pit ones).

If AI really ****** me off i'm able to restart the whole session even if it is the last lap, and since 110 AI is just too aggressive you need to be more aggressive too, which results often in very close battles (with some contacts sometimes). If i lose the wing 'cause of a battle i decided to do then it's ok, if AI suddenly decide to divebomb then i usually restart.

I used to think flashback was a vital feature for a couch driver but after playing some extended online sessions where obviously it's not available, I've begun to turn it off and enjoy the risk. It's also helped up my lap consistency as I'm not willing to risk it all for a faster corner knowing I have a safety net anymore. And frankly be more aware of the cars around me and the risk they pose to my car if I'm not careful on which section if track I'm choosing. 

• 9 months later...

I'm a simulation cookie clicker player. In prior F1 games, I used to employ flashbacks to undo terminal damage, but I stopped doing so.
Even though it's frustrating after putting so much effort into a race in practice, qualifying, and so on, it feels more realistic and fulfilling in the long run when you can bounce back from a poor performance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing on the full damage setting and I'm finding that the AI seem to have titanium front wings as they are very hard to damage. Is this how it is supposed to be? If so, I'd like to know why you think the AI have titanium. They definitely don't have more downforce than you, but their tires get harder, so they'll be more likely to spin out when hit from behind, and it's easier for them to lock up their brakes in the first place. Generally, though, I use the default values for everything that isn't set by a particular car's characteristics. If not, could you describe what's going on? If all cars have similar troubles with damaged front wings, it would be a bug. If only some cars have difficulty with them, then I'd have to ask how your opponents always manage to run into your front wing while leaving yours completely intact." 

Lag Ja Gale Lyrics Breathless Lyrics

Edited by ljglmail

• 1 month later...

I've turned flashback on, just in order to overcome the pit-bug or the finishing first but the game setting you a +1 lap last finish. Both I have encountered once in the first season (the pit bug in Silverstone and the finish last bug in Russia). 

Other than that I never use the flashback and don't restart sessions. I've learned that if I do, it takes all the fun and joy away from the game.