Is there any good workaround for the VR brightness issues, and has there been any suggestion it will ever be patched?

For those that haven't touched VR mode, the problem is immediately obvious upon starting the game. Here's what the main menu looks like in VR mode compared to flatscreen:

1menuvrs.thumb.png.a89a56501fed6e3c375a1b3f87a277cd.png

2menu.thumb.png.40ee18f38f351170abc916a545565a34.png

And for good measure, here's the brightness setting page in both VR and flatscreen:

3brightvrs.thumb.png.0bb0dd3bb139f7367e0e5e086c4c48cc.png

4bright.thumb.png.b0c77917ab025844b68623aa579e9d5a.png

And yes, you can turn that setting down in VR mode which makes the menus look good, but doing so utterly crushes the dark areas once you actually get into a stage. So this is what stages look like in VR compared to flat screen at the default 1.0 brightness setting:

5finvrs.thumb.png.c470b985b38c338dc9cd31187d915d17.png

6fin.thumb.png.114ab6fd5b180bcd8ba99005bc2acb2c.png

It seems when actually in a stage the brightness issue is a different one, as leaning forward so that your chin is touching the steering wheel actually looks good, but note how bright the bright areas are at a normal seating position, the trees in the distance beyond the starting gate in particular are glowing so brightly that it's impossible to see where the tops of them end.

All pics were taken at default medium settings, VR pics were cropped and scaled to reasonably match the flatscreen views but no other editing was done. I've included the unedited vr pics below for anyone who cares to see those.

Anyway, as I asked in the title, is there any good workaround for the VR brightness issue, and has there been any suggestion it will ever be patched?

7menuvr.png

8brightvr.png

9finvr.png

Edited by kylebisme

I've determined that the brightness issue in menus is separate fro m the one in stages, the latter is result of the exposure effect being excessive when using the driver view, as can be seen in the following two screenshots:

sweden.thumb.png.dea60cf179eb6816b6d24f2dc075c6bc.pngswedenc.thumb.png.ac30eb168f2bcdd464e3cf4cda01d79d.png

From the driver camera view it's impossible to discern how tight the road is in the upcoming bend, it's all just one solid white blob, but switching to dashboard view brings out all that missing detail.  Unfortunately, using anything other than the driver camera view in VR makes for a rather unpleasant experience in its own way, So I'm still curious, is there any good workaround for this issue, and has Codemasters ever suggested it might get patched?

6 hours ago, kylebisme said:

I've determined that the brightness issue in menus is separate fro m the one in stages, the latter is result of the exposure effect being excessive when using the driver view, as can be seen in the following two screenshots:

sweden.thumb.png.dea60cf179eb6816b6d24f2dc075c6bc.pngswedenc.thumb.png.ac30eb168f2bcdd464e3cf4cda01d79d.png

From the driver camera view it's impossible to discern how tight the road is in the upcoming bend, it's all just one solid white blob, but switching to dashboard view brings out all that missing detail.  Unfortunately, using anything other than the driver camera view in VR makes for a rather unpleasant experience in its own way, So I'm still curious, is there any good workaround for this issue, and has Codemasters ever suggested it might get patched?

If you move your head forward in the regular cockpit view with VR the picture also getting much better in sweden. Its some stupid filter they must have added that is overexaggregated but since its all getting better moving the view forward id consider it a bug. It have been reported but they dont care so dont bother.

Edited by somethingthing