Sign in to follow this  

Pit stop without changing tires

Hello, yesterday when I was playing on career mode in the F2 cars, I destroyed my front wing on first lap of Hungaroring coming out of turn 15, just before last corner. It was a sprint race and i could easily do it on 1 set of tires, which i had on my car, but my wing was completely gone so i had to pit and then when looking into MFD i realized that I can't just change my wing and drive away, I had to change my tires too. I think it shouldn't be like that. You should be able to not change tires and just fix your car. It destroyed my race completely because i lost about 5 sec for changing tires to soft AND after some laps i had to pit again to change my tires back to the ones i started race on, because there was no way i could end this race driving 13 laps on soft compound(50% races), it makes completely no sense at all. If it wasn't for my second pit stop i could even manage to gain some points because of 4 DNF's and safety car.

• Agree 1

First of all changing tyres takes less time as compared to changing the front wing. And both things happen simultaneously. So your pit crew would have changed the tyres before the front wing would have got changed. So you will not lose time (5 seconds in your case) during a pit stop because of tyre change if your front wing also has to be changed.

Secondly, if i am not wrong it’s mandatory to change tyres when you come into the pits except if you have received a stop and go/ drive through penalty. So the game mimics almost all the real world F1 rules.

Thirdly, you can change the tyre compounds from the MFD for your pit stop. If you have to pit in lap 1 itself due to front wing damage, then better go for a hard compound rather than a soft compound and try to manage/ save tyres. (Although it would be very difficult to get points if you pit and others don’t have to pit in the sprint race)

16 minutes ago, kart12talwar said:

First of all changing tyres takes less time as compared to changing the front wing. And both things happen simultaneously. So your pit crew would have changed the tyres before the front wing would have got changed. So you will not lose time (5 seconds in your case) during a pit stop because of tyre change if your front wing also has to be changed.

As I said in first post I was driving F2 car, where you have less pit crew, even changing tires takes longer because they are changing them 2 at one time. And with front wing they changed it first, a then proceed to the side of my car to change the back and after that the fronts. I know you are talking about F1 but its different.

28 minutes ago, kart12talwar said:

Secondly, if i am not wrong it’s mandatory to change tyres when you come into the pits except if you have received a stop and go/ drive through penalty. So the game mimics almost all the real world F1 rules.

Well If this is true then OK, it's nothing to speak about. But it would be stupid rule in F2 sprint race, where you have less tires to choose, so I think changing tires is not necessary.

30 minutes ago, kart12talwar said:

Thirdly, you can change the tyre compounds from the MFD for your pit stop. If you have to pit in lap 1 itself due to front wing damage, then better go for a hard compound rather than a soft compound and try to manage/ save tyres. (Although it would be very difficult to get points if you pit and others don’t have to pit in the sprint race)

Like I said it was F2 race, the only compound to choose was: very used mediums from previous race, new softs and very used softs, so there was NO better strategy. In F2 you have very limited choice of tires. If the rest of the race would be clean then i couldn't even think about points,but there was safety car co without second pit i would have been 16 after green flag.