F1 2020 |PATCH 1.13 NOW LIVE | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE | Season 3 starting 20/11 Read more... ×

Tire Regulations

and so ... British Grand Prix in the career "My team".
In the 1st qualification segment, I used 2 sets of software.
In the 2nd qualification segment I used 1 set of software, the medium did not wear it, because my team will not allow me to fight for high places. I took 14th place, at the start I moved to 11th place due to AI penalties.
Before the race, I must have: 1 new Hard set, 2 new Medium sets and 3 used Soft sets.
At the start, I was offered the Soft-Medium tactics, I agreed and what was my surprise that at the start I had a new set of Soft ... Where from ??? Explain ???
Another bug with tire regulations ?)), Hello from the past F1 ?))))

2020-09-11_16-39-49.thumb.png.8653b9fcb64f79850f86e97dfa732894.png

The game keeps one set of each compound locked out. Only if you make it to Q3 you can use the new soft set that was locked out. 

However you qualified 14th so free tyre choice and access to the unused set from Q3

It's that set of grayed out softs on the right. That set is available in Q3 and has to be returned at the end of Q3 (so if you make it to Q3, make sure to use that specific set). But if you don't make it into Q3 you get to use that set of softs in the race.

5 hours ago, MilligramSmile said:

I was offered the Soft-Medium tactics, I agreed and what was my surprise that at the start I had a new set of Soft ... Where from ??? Explain ???

You were expecting to start the race with the same worn soft set of tyres you run in Q2? That does not happen.

Only those that make it through Q3 are forced to start the race with the same set of tyres used to achieve their best time in Q2. Everybody else – meaning everybody from 11th to 22th – get to start on a new set of their choosing. That's why you're starting the race on a new set of Softs instead of your worn down Softs from Q2.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, marioho said:

You were expecting to start the race with the same worn soft set of tyres you run in Q2? That does not happen.

Not.
I was expecting to get a worn out Soft, tk. I used all 3 sets of Soft in qualification.
Soft that is available only for Q3 is given back according to the rules. Is it available to race if I didn't get into Q3 ?
Hmm...

1 hour ago, marioho said:

Only those that make it through Q3 are forced to start the race with the same set of tyres used to achieve their best time in Q2. Everybody else – meaning everybody from 11th to 22th – get to start on a new set of their choosing. That's why you're starting the race on a new set of Softs instead of your worn down Softs from Q2.

I know...

1 hour ago, GnrDreagon said:

But if you don't make it into Q3 you get to use that set of softs in the race.

I didn't know, is it really so ?

I've been a bit confused about the tire regulations myself, actually. My question concerns the short qualifying format though. If I choose the softest tyre allocation for the weekend, I get 4 sets of softs for the qualifying. If I use all of them, I don't have a new set for the race. Why?

3 hours ago, janbonator said:

I've been a bit confused about the tire regulations myself, actually. My question concerns the short qualifying format though. If I choose the softest tyre allocation for the weekend, I get 4 sets of softs for the qualifying. If I use all of them, I don't have a new set for the race. Why?

Probably because they want to keep the tyres available balanced so they might just get rid of the Q3 tyres because in short qualifying you really shouldn't need them. And your qualifying position still matters I suppose, if the game does use the Q3 tyre.

Edited by GnrDreagon

10 hours ago, GnrDreagon said:

Probably because they want to keep the tyres available balanced so they might just get rid of the Q3 tyres because in short qualifying you really shouldn't need them. And your qualifying position still matters I suppose, if the game does use the Q3 tyre.

You could be right. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

"Balanced" allocation gives 3 softs and one medium for qualifying, plus a new set of softs, mediums and hards for the race.

"Softest" gives 4 softs for qualifying, plus a new set of mediums and hards for the race.

Looks to me like "balanced" gives one more tyre set compared to "softest".

3 hours ago, janbonator said:

You could be right. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

"Balanced" allocation gives 3 softs and one medium for qualifying, plus a new set of softs, mediums and hards for the race.

"Softest" gives 4 softs for qualifying, plus a new set of mediums and hards for the race.

Looks to me like "balanced" gives one more tyre set compared to "softest".

It doesn't. Those 4 tyres are what you get from your tyre selection. The race medium/hard and the Q3 softs everybody gets for free, regardless of tyre selection. But in short qualifying it is possible you don't get the Q3 tyre because you don't have Q3 and you probably use two sets of tyres anyway.