F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

F1 2021 and beyond compatible consoles...

So I currently can’t play F1 2020 because the switch looks like it’s just not powerful enough to run even a severely graphically reduced version of the game plus with no analog trigger inputs on the standard controllers it would take more adaptation than would ever be rewarded. ...But now in a little over a month a slew of new ”next-gen” consoles will be released. Two from Microsoft and two(probably) from Sony, so my question to everyone but most obviously to Codemasters themselves, is if I buy the cheapest one ( the Xbox series S $299 ) will it actually be compatible with next few versions of the f1 series or would I end up with another switch. 

Edited by GrantGautney

The new S is a next gen without a CD drive. There is a slight kerb on the video output I believe but has the same graphics card. Think the SSD is restricted a bit. I saw a really good comparison but can’t find it atm. 

You will be able to play them on there. It’ll be a bit like the current Xbox One original v the Xbox One X. Both play the same games. One is able to do 4K for example. 

• Like 1

I really wonder what Codemasters strategy will be going forward with the next gen consoles.  I’m wondering if they might be reluctant to go solely next gen only for F1 2021 so sales of the game aren’t hurt and aren’t restricting themselves to just those that have upgraded within the first 1-6 months of the new consoles releases. Could be still see a PS4 and Xbox One release but also with upgrades for the next gen consoles similarly to Dirt 5? So that way those that haven’t upgraded so early aren’t cut off?  

I know it was different for the PS3 to PS4 era as the architecture of the consoles were so different, so therefore had to commit to developing for the newer consoles only for F1 2015, but this time around I believe Codemasters have already said their game engine has already been adapted to support next gen as well, plus the architecture of the consoles this time around are more similar.  

I'm personally looking to grab a PS5 as soon as GT7 drops, but depending on when that is will probably how long I’ll be holding off grabbing one so soon.  That said i am excited to see how the F1 games progress visually as well as with the haptic feature of the new dualsense controllers. 

I'd be extremely surprised if F1 2021 wasn't compatible with the new consoles. F1 2020 may well be too actually. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrantGautney said:

so my question to everyone but most obviously to Codemasters themselves, is if I buy the cheapest one ( the Xbox series S $299 ) will it actually be compatible with next few versions of the f1 series or would I end up with another switch. 

Honestly, this question is way more up Microsoft alley than Codemasters'. It is Microsoft doing all the promising of Series S being exactly the same as Series X and running the games with the exact same performance barring a resolution downscale.

As of now, that is all the official talk we as consumers are getting and and it is coming solely from Microsoft. I highly doubt Codemasters or any other developer would step in front of Microsoft and say that they can't guarantee equal performance on the mid term. 

• Like 1

Codemasters should do as konami with pes, that is to release 2022 directly on the new consoles and publish only a dlc for 2021 cars on f1 2020. It is the best strategy, they can buy time to focus on the challenge of 2022, new cars and new model driving as well as adding many new features that are missing such as live track 3.0, tire flattening, Manual driving in the pits. I hope this is the beginning of a new cycle towards simulation @BarryBL @UP100

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'd be extremely surprised if F1 2021 wasn't compatible with the new consoles. F1 2020 may well be too actually. 

All Xbox One games are backwards compatible with Xbox One Series S and X. 

Think of it as a PC upgrade with but still running Windows 10. 

42 minutes ago, tarrantino said:

All Xbox One games are backwards compatible with Xbox One Series S and X. 

Think of it as a PC upgrade with but still running Windows 10. 

Not only that but some companies have promised that xbox1 games will have graphics upgraded to new console free of charge for people who own xbox1 version at some point so let’s hope codemasters do it.

• Like 1

When I bought the One X a few years ago there was a asset patch to play in stable framerates at 2160p. With the new console being so different I think it will be another asset patch until ray tracing and other features unique to both consoles can be made from scratch for future titles.