Jump to content

BEST NVIDIA DRIVERS FOR VR PERFORMANCE AND GRAPHICS SETTINGS PLEASE POST TO HELP ALL PEEPS

Recommended Posts

Hi Scholars,

Can you guys help me with the NVIDIA driver selection. I remember I think it was 446.14 was a really good driver and the latest at time of writing this is 452.06 which I have noticed has given very poor performance.

 

What driver version are you guys running and if possible could we make this thread include graphics settings from legends who have spent copious hours tweaking to squeeze every last drop of performance out of this game.

Please include your pc specs for comparison. If there already is a thread doing this please also point to it. It doesn't have to be on these forums either. Please also note which settings you find to be the most hungry for fps.

Hopefully this info will help us all to get the most out of this game.

 

One other question do you find that different qualities of graphics options are optimised better than others? Say high settings on shadows are better optimised than say low? Let me know.

Cheers n beers

Dan

 

My pc specs

rtx2080ti

i7 8700 @4.3ghz

giga z390 pro

16gb trident 2400mhz ram

fanatec csl elite with load cell brake

oculus rift s

I am using 4x A.A and 16x aniso.

 

reflections, crowd, god rays and screen space reflections seem to be pretty fps hungry imo.

d2sett1.jpg

d2sett2.jpg

d2sett3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sokittoya76 said:

Hi Scholars,

Can you guys help me with the NVIDIA driver selection. I remember I think it was 446.14 was a really good driver and the latest at time of writing this is 452.06 which I have noticed has given very poor performance.

 

What driver version are you guys running and if possible could we make this thread include graphics settings from legends who have spent copious hours tweaking to squeeze every last drop of performance out of this game.

Please include your pc specs for comparison. If there already is a thread doing this please also point to it. It doesn't have to be on these forums either. Please also note which settings you find to be the most hungry for fps.

Hopefully this info will help us all to get the most out of this game.

 

One other question do you find that different qualities of graphics options are optimised better than others? Say high settings on shadows are better optimised than say low? Let me know.

Cheers n beers

Dan

 

My pc specs

rtx2080ti

i7 8700 @4.3ghz

giga z390 pro

16gb trident 2400mhz ram

fanatec csl elite with load cell brake

oculus rift s

I am using 4x A.A and 16x aniso.

 

reflections, crowd, god rays and screen space reflections seem to be pretty fps hungry imo.

 

I run with the latest Nvidia drivers on these 2 systems with a Rift CV1 with a stable 90fps.

System 1 (old rig)
i7 6700k
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming Motherboard
16gb 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
MSI GTX1080 Gaming X Plus

System 2 (new rig as of June this year)
i7 10700k
Asus ROG Strix Z490 Gaming-E
16gb 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB
Gigabyte RTX2070 Super

-------

The main 3 settings to change for VR are -

"screen space reflections" - Off
"Night Light" - Off
"Vehicle Details" - Low

I find these 3 settings to be massive drains on FPS, the latter 2 for no reason at all. Screen space reflections will do the most damage.
Everything else I run at high, on both systems. Baring the lighting/camera effects at the bottom of the settings.

I would also suggest removing the antialiasing (AA/Multisampling), and making sure you have no super sampling turned on. If you are playing through steam, make sure you DO NOT have steamVR open at the same time. It isnt needed when running the game in Oculus mode.

I have tested these settings with a Rift S (my other half has a rift S) on both systems, and managed to get a stable 80fps.

Also, keep crowds as off or set to low, any higher than that, and you get stutters.

--------

System 1 footage -


System 2 footage -

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ialyrn
Linked wrong video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the biggest problem in VR is the contrast. Dark is way too dark and bright is way too bright. 

For example, in this screen shot you can see his face is so dark you cant even see it. Same with the dashboard. But everything else is bright. 

I am running on a Reverb with a 1080Ti and latest drivers.

20200917170851_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PantheraTigris said:

For me the biggest problem in VR is the contrast. Dark is way too dark and bright is way too bright. 

For example, in this screen shot you can see his face is so dark you cant even see it. Same with the dashboard. But everything else is bright. 

I am running on a Reverb with a 1080Ti and latest drivers.

20200917170851_1.jpg

Wheres his notes? 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

Wheres his notes? 😮

His mind. he has photographic memory!

But yea, that happens when you set shadows to Low in VR. But I have set it to high once again. I am able to maintain 90 FPS but the contrast is still bad. Someone had posted that it was an issue with HDR setting or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, PantheraTigris said:

I am running on a Reverb with a 1080Ti and latest drivers.

Could potentially be something to do with your headset or a setting in game/steamVR, because I have never had that issue personally. I have brightness in game set to default, and I have not messed with the "hdr" setting in the games files.

I do have an issue on the Oculus rift where their is clear colour banding, which is a known issue. But yeh, I have never had an issue with the contrast personally.

Also, you may be able to bump up details if you lower steamVR's resolution. SteamVR has a bad habit of automatically increasing the per eye resolution based on system specs, instead of just running at a particular HMD's native resolution. Same settings apply as I posted about above.

Edited by Ialyrn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up I spent some of today testing different nvidia drivers from 446.14 up to latest as of today and the best performance and overall stability was

451.48.

Made a huge difference on my setup. I've been optimising this game since first release constantly checking settings and s/s. Trying to find which effects are most greedy and what needs to be on to look good also whilst constant 80fps.

Give this driver a go it is worth the try.

 

https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/451.48/451.48-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Could potentially be something to do with your headset or a setting in game/steamVR, because I have never had that issue personally. I have brightness in game set to default, and I have not messed with the "hdr" setting in the games files.

It's definitely something with the game because I don't have this issue in other games, including Dirt Rally 1. I am trying to tweak the HDR setting but its not working. I also found dozens of other threads on this for other headsets, so its not just me. I will search some more. 

 

20 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Also, you may be able to bump up details if you lower steamVR's resolution. SteamVR has a bad habit of automatically increasing the per eye resolution based on system specs, instead of just running at a particular HMD's native resolution. Same settings apply as I posted about above.

This happens to compensate for edge distortion. On a VR headset, you need to render 1.3x-1.4x times the native resolution (based on lenses) to achieve native resolution quality. If you render at the normal 1x native resolution, your picture quality is less than native because of edge distortion.

Vive and Index need to render 1.4x times the pixels. Since Rift S has a much lower FOV and less powerful lenses, it only needs ~1.25x extra pixels to compensate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×