Flashpoint

Hi all,
I posted this in off topic because the flashpoint series really are not supported anymore so I hope you don’t mind. I have been playing the operation flashpoint series sense elite and have loved every one of them. I still play dragon rising and red river quite often and I have beaten the campaigns and fire team engagements countless times. The reason I’m posting this is because I feel like the red river campaign really left off on a cliffhanger. It left the story open for another chapter. I’ve read several articles about the team saying that they really where not interested in doing another flash point but I was wondering if they where working on any plans for another campaign. And if they where, would they be willing to at least share how it might have gone? Thank you for reading and I hope the community doesn’t mind my off topic post. 

Rob

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as you man. As far as I know CM isn't going to be doing anything with the Operation Flashpoint IP anytime soon, if ever, which is sad. With the new console generation around the corner maybe but I'd say its still doubtful. I would even be super excited for a remaster of DR and RR

• Like 1

I definitely would want to see a new Flashpoint game, even if it would be a some kind of spinoff. Maybe something smaller like a close combat tactical shooter would be doable? A game like Dragon Rising would require much more resources than that I'd say.

• Like 1

Yes, I really hope they will ge back to the two titles. I would definitely buy another DLC, like Valley of Death in Red River 

• Like 1

Well but isn't the problem with this IP that basically BI has "taken" it to make the successful ArmA series which is a continuation, except by name?  CM would have to break through another decade of development that is A3 (and probably work on the next gen).   

Edited by bn880

8 hours ago, bn880 said:

Well but isn't the problem with this IP that basically BI has "taken" it to make the successful ArmA series which is a continuation, except by name?  CM would have to break through another decade of development that is A3 (and probably work on the next gen).   

In my opinion, ArmaA has inherited a lot from the original title. A lot but not everything. Dragon Rising and, especially, Red River give me a sense of realism. These games feature REAL countries and armies. There is a link to the present or past geopolitical situation in the world and there IS also a freedom of choice how you want to complete each mission, (though not as much as in ArmA).  These features mixed with very interesting campaigns was what blew my mind 20 years ago. At first, I really hated ArmaA for their takistans,  nogovas, non-existing armies, somehow fighting NATO forces and other bs. It wasn't before A3 that I gradually came to like it, even bought that rare edition with the silver medal and sometimes play it, too... But I still don't think much of some of their visuals: explosions still look like torn bags of flour being tossed in the air, bullet hit animation is too simplistic, but the worst thing is sounds, especially of shots fired 100 or more meters away..  . It's probably the BEST game for people who like pure milsim, and multiplaying experience, but I don't see it as a successor of Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis. Just don't feel its spirit in it. 
And as for breaking through 10 years of development, I really think that if CM   created a new campaign for Ofp 2 using the same graphic and engine as in Dragon Rising, people would buy it for sure. Try playing the fully patched version. It's great. 
Sorry for a wordy post. It's Sunday, got nothing to do. 

Edited by Vova15

I'm not going to disagree on a lot of your post, nothing really replaces CWC somehow.   I do think however that if they just created a new campaign the sales numbers would not be stellar to say the least.  Mostly it would be people who loved the original (and not all of them) buying.   These companies now want much higher sales numbers.  But hey, I can't claim to be the market expert on this, I've been out of that specific game industry for about 12 years (was on the milsim side until recently)

Edited by bn880

I totally agree with you on that it would not bring a lot of money. But how much would it cost to make? I know nothing about making games and may be wrong, but would it really cost too much to make 10-20 mission campaign, hire some B or C grade actor(s) and essentially use the existing editor? They could sell it on steam for 1 usd and people would dig it. I'm not sure about PCs, but it would be a hit on consoles because there is no other, to my knowlege, game like Dragon Rising on consoles. It would not be a mega success but it would create a new foundation. There are so many geopolitical hotspots you can relate to and create a nice strory... If they hired me, I'd definitely come up with one:).

And there is NO BETTER time to do it than now. 2021 marks 20 YEARS OF FLASHPOINT. I wonder if BA or CM are up to something to mark the anniversary. There are still many 'active' players who remember the CWC, but we are in out late 30's, and it feels like there will be no other chance. I, for example, am more of a collector of everything that is related to OFP, than a gamer now, but I still play sometimes.

By the way, wanna see something interesting? Check out this video about Red River https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPH3wENQclQ 

I mean you make a game in which people play as US Marines that kill and say a lot of bad things about PLA soldiers, and then you go and make a full special big-box Cinese version of the game, clearly for the Chinese market... 🙂 This is like sellng pork sausages at a market somewhere in Kabul:) What do you think about it?

Stay safe

Edited by Vova15