F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Please help me understand what is going on here?

Last race in My Team i noticed my car just had no legs in 8th gear and I was cruised past on by cars on the straights. I had been warned of a power loss but till laps after it started. I thought, okay fine I lost a bunch of places and ended out of the points.

Next race I used a fresh engine even though the one I used in previous race was still full green. Qualifying it was fine, but again my car is utterly dead in 8th gear in the race. Revs don't climb at all even with overtake held down. I dropped from 4th place to 12th place inside 3 laps at French GP.

Then to add to the *** is going on I looked at race director and saw that on lap two and three I was super consistent within four thousandth of a second, and I was faster than every car that had overtaken me according to race director. Over the three laps from start the 8 cars that pasted me were supposed to have been 1.2-1.5 seconds slower in total over those 3 laps. SO how the heck were they overtakeing me like I wasn't going forward?

And most importantly, anyone know why my car is so utterly useless in 8th currently in races? Same setup I've used for many races here before too.

You may need to up your throttle saturation in settings/control,vibration&forcefeedback/Controller preset/edit/calibration/Throttle saturation.......In the calibration settings you can test button inputs by pressing them and seeing if you get 100% or not. Hope this helps

On 9/14/2020 at 9:48 AM, smudger1982 said:

You may need to up your throttle saturation in settings/control,vibration&forcefeedback/Controller preset/edit/calibration/Throttle saturation.......In the calibration settings you can test button inputs by pressing them and seeing if you get 100% or not. Hope this helps

Yeah, it's not this. Already checked that. It is driving me NUTAS now to the point of uninstalling the game. I just drove Russian GP. I qualified in 6th then went backwards as everyone sailed by me on the straights. Even driving around outside of me around the long left hander of turn 2. On the start finish straight I was dead in 8th gear. Couldn't even get one light on RPM gauge to light, even with overtake button held down till it was empty of charge. Hell, by end of race I was barely getting into 8th by the end of the straight.

I don't know if something in my car updates has caused the car to be high drag, but doubt it's that bad. Going to try a normal GP in a merc and see if I get same issue.

The possibility of throttle saturation was also my first thought. It must be something with your pedals and or software in my opinion. Have you checked the throttle and brake pedal in Windows? That failure sounds really weird.

Could it be a possibility to drive in rich mix too long and overheat your engine? That should result in a power loss.

Have you compared your high speed to others in practice sessions?

2 hours ago, halfblindgamer said:

On the start finish straight I was dead in 8th gear. Couldn't even get one light on RPM gauge to light, even with overtake button held down till it was empty of charge. Hell, by end of race I was barely getting into 8th by the end of the straight.

I don't know if something in my car updates has caused the car to be high drag, but doubt it's that bad. Going to try a normal GP in a merc and see if I get same issue.

What you're describing is a component fault. Your PU seems to not be able to run at that work rate anymore, for whatever reason. 

The thing is, you said you installed a new ICE already? Did you get a new turbocharger and MGU-K too?

And what power loss alert is that you're talking about? One by Jeff or an icon on the MFD? If so that's another reason to with the component failure as that's what triggers such warnings, not your driving.

If for whatever reason your drag went through the roof, you'd still be getting your engine at its top speed (RPM). Matter of factely you'd probably get there even faster as you'd have more resistance, less speed and more time on the straight.

Okay, it's not happening in GP quick play, so it has to be something with the upgrades. See how it is when I have some lower weight updates.

3 minutes ago, halfblindgamer said:

so it has to be something with the upgrades. See how it is when I have some lower weight updates.

I think there's a higher probability of it being a bug than something related to upgrades. Either faulty components or a bug, I wouldn't put my money on upgrades.

By your description, your PU isn't able to perform at their maximum. If it were the car - too much drag, too heavy, whatever - your experience would be way different. You would hit the top revs on 8th gear (even easier, btw) but have a poor top speed.

If you overload your carriage, your horses will still sweat like hell. In this case your horses are refusing to gallop.

4 hours ago, marioho said:

What you're describing is a component fault. Your PU seems to not be able to run at that work rate anymore, for whatever reason. 

The thing is, you said you installed a new ICE already? Did you get a new turbocharger and MGU-K too?

And what power loss alert is that you're talking about? One by Jeff or an icon on the MFD? If so that's another reason to with the component failure as that's what triggers such warnings, not your driving.

If for whatever reason your drag went through the roof, you'd still be getting your engine at its top speed (RPM). Matter of factely you'd probably get there even faster as you'd have more resistance, less speed and more time on the straight.

Hmm, nope, my turbo and other parts were still green so only added a new ICE. Possible it is that and I could try I guess. Only thing that makes me think it isn't that is that I use same engine parts for qualifying and race of course, and the engine sings perfectly through all 8 gears in qualifying. I'd expect the car to be slower in race of course with fuel on board and depending on what fuel map using, but in last few laps it is just as dead as at the start on full fuel.

Thanks for the input I may try it, though I'm only four races from end of first season now, and my position in championship is pretty safe

I'm on mobile right now but if you browse through my post history I made a big report long ago about a buggy experience I had in Hungary. I never managed to replicate it but that's the closed I had to what you're describing.

Another differential factor you have on races are pit stops. In that bug, for whatever reason my car couldn't get to top speeds or high RPMs after flashbacking on pit entry. Ages after the post I remember another user reporting something similar too but not as drastic.

Anyway, it still makes no sense for it to be upgrade related to me. When you upgrade your car properly you'll have a better performance when working at maximum capacity. Here your car is refusing to work at maximum capacity.

Edit: the similar report we got. IIRC it's more in line with your experience @halfblindgamer

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/59255-race-top-speed-too-low-possible-pit-stop-bug-your-experiences-wanted/?tab=comments#comment-559834

Edited by marioho

4 hours ago, marioho said:

27 minutes ago, marioho said:

By your description, your PU isn't able to perform at their maximum. If it were the car - too much drag, too heavy, whatever - your experience would be way different. You would hit the top revs on 8th gear (even easier, btw) but have a poor top speed.

This is not true. Not in the game nor in real F1. The gearing they use is designed to achieve a certain top speed at certain drag levels. If you put in more drag, you will run out of torque against the air resistance at close to max speeds, and acceleration stalls before reaching the highest revs. In the game you can easily test this: go to TT in Monza and drive with you normal setup without DRS. Then drive the same straight with your Monaco setup. My Monaco setup capped at 10835 RPM at the end of the straight, and it would not have gone higher had the straight been longer. With my Monza setup the RPMs were at 11600 and climbing when hitting the end of the straight. In real life too you can clearly hear on onboard footage when a car pulls out of slipstream - the revs drop considerably.

@janbonator you're correct, sorry for that. Never occurred to me to test varying setups like these so wildly but you definitely got a point there. Do you know if these things scale with R&D though? I don't remember being so power limited throughout the calendar when keeping a correct setup. 

However it still doesn't fit @halfblindgamer description has he's running the same setup on quali and race and said it was ok on practice and quali sessions.  

56 minutes ago, marioho said:

@janbonator you're correct, sorry for that. Never occurred to me to test varying setups like these so wildly but you definitely got a point there. Do you know if these things scale with R&D though? I don't remember being so power limited throughout the calendar when keeping a correct setup. 

However it still doesn't fit @halfblindgamer description has he's running the same setup on quali and race and said it was ok on practice and quali sessions.  

I'm quite sure it scales with R&D if you don't follow a balanced development programme, like upgrading downforce components without drag reduction and/or engine power. Personally I've not gone that far yet with My Team, but what I've done is I've mostly neglected engine development and invested in the chassis and drag reduction.

In any case that's probably what's not going on here as the effects sound quite severe. There's a major difference between the race, qualifying and practice though, and that's DRS. On a high downforce setup one might only suffer effects such as this when there is no DRS available.

Yeah I should note this is my 2nd MY team. I went to season 3 with first one, but didn't like the AI level I did it on so started again.

I waited to post again till I started 2nd season to see if that fixed the problem, but ffs it is worse if anything. Practice and qually no problem. Same setup for the race it started okay till first pitstop where I went from soft to hard tyre. After that not only was 8th gear bad I didn't manage to get into  8th gear once. So for over half a 50% race distance at Australia I never got out of 7th gear at most.

This is so frustrating that I can't find the cause of it. I've chucked a few more updates in power and chassis. Next I'm going to update the drag reduction one in aero, but if that doesn't fix it I'm stumped. And if that does fix it on it's own then the game is broken badly in my opinion.

B all means if you think of anything else it could be let me know. Maybe I'll video it if I get to a track it will be real obvious on. Actually next track will likely do.

Du you use any altered files / mods? Maybe try to repair your gamefiles and test again.