Codemasters, why do you have mode called "Ranked" when you have no control over blatant cheating on those lobbies.

Title.

Nobody really cares about Time Trial times, but even those just go to show how much care goes into the game from the Devs. Lately there has been increasing amount of cheaters with insanely fast cars in Ranked lobbies and it's pretty much impossible to find one without there being one. 

Why do you have "Ranked" when you don't supervise it?

• Disagree 1

Bump 'cause no reply from official sources. 

I feel sad to see absolutely no care towards the game from the devs and the situation is just getting worse and worse when word-to-mouth keeps spreading. The past week I've tried getting races in daily and every lobby so far had a guy driving faster times than current esports drivers ... 

Maybe it's time for FOM to resell the license if Codies can't take care of the game for one bit.

Well i care about TT, and i’m sure others do too so no need for sure a big generalisation (that’s actually nothing to do with your point anyway).

As for ranked matches online, I haven’t found any issue. Played plenty and sure sometimes there are a few guys a bit faster than me, but not by much, and nothing to suggest they’re cheating.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

Either you're slow enough to not notice or then you're just oblivious. I don't know you so I can't tell but if you're saying nobody is cheating in ranked lobbies, you're either lying or simping for Codemasters.

Edited by MatrimC

15 hours ago, MatrimC said:

Either you're slow enough to not notice or then you're just oblivious. I don't know you so I can't tell but if you're saying nobody is cheating in ranked lobbies, you're either lying or simping for Codemasters.

Nope, neither of above, just enjoying the game.

Played about 75 ranked races, not seen a single cheat.

Edit: not seen a cheat in terms of unrealistic speed or anything like that... seen plenty of cheats in terms of ramming people off to gain places!

Won about 25 of them, so definitely not the quickest, but not slow either 😀

Edited by kalamazoo123

On 9/13/2020 at 10:07 PM, MatrimC said:

Title.

Nobody really cares about Time Trial times, but even those just go to show how much care goes into the game from the Devs. Lately there has been increasing amount of cheaters with insanely fast cars in Ranked lobbies and it's pretty much impossible to find one without there being one. 

I don't think they don't care, they just have bigger fish to fry. Like the host getting a 2 second head start. 

But playing with people you know/trust is a lot better with games like these anyway. you're too much dependant on the other people behaving 😛

On 9/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, MatrimC said:

Title.

Yeah, I feel it. I really gave it my best, stuck with it.

You sit long enough waiting to join a lobby, then join. Then get smashed off the track. Sit and wait until the next race, only to get smashed off the track in the next race. Sit again. And so on. Impossible to find a lobby where you aren't getting smashed off the track. Such a pity as I'm sure the majority of gamers are genuinely trying to be fair.

• Agree 1

On 11/6/2020 at 6:21 PM, MatrimC said:

That's a new one. Must update my 'Virtue Signaller's Handbook'. 

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2020 at 4:07 PM, steviejay69 said:

That's a new one. Must update my 'Virtue Signaller's Handbook'. 

It's relatively new term and I'm sure if you're not watching any streamers, you might have missed it. Comes from the word "simpleton" where someone just doesn't know any better. 

If customers of Codemasters just keep eating the **** they shovel infront of you without complaining or raising a point, I feel that term fits perfectly. And even so next year with 2K is taking reigns with their monetization system. 

13 hours ago, MatrimC said:

It's relatively new term and I'm sure if you're not watching any streamers, you might have missed it. Comes from the word "simpleton" where someone just doesn't know any better. 

If customers of Codemasters just keep eating the **** they shovel infront of you without complaining or raising a point, I feel that term fits perfectly. And even so next year with 2K is taking reigns with their monetization system. 

You're actually wrong, I thought I was the relic. You need to start a book too.

On 8-11-2020 at 14:33, MJMD said:

Ja, ik voel het. Ik heb echt mijn best gedaan, ik ben erbij gebleven.

Je zit lang genoeg te wachten om lid te worden van een lobby, en doe dan mee. Laat je dan van de baan slaan. Ga zitten en wacht tot de volgende race, om in de volgende race van de baan te worden geslagen. Ga weer zitten. Enzovoorts. Het is onmogelijk om een lobby te vinden waar je niet van de baan wordt geslagen. Zo jammer, want ik weet zeker dat de meeste gamers echt proberen eerlijk te zijn.

Totally agree.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:00 AM, steviejay69 said:

You're actually wrong, I thought I was the relic. You need to start a book too.

Saying someone is wrong without correcting them is just telling you have no clue what you're talking about. Also you're implying you were "just playing dumb" on the comment before, which just makes you dumb, no offense.

Edited by MatrimC
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MatrimC said:

Saying someone is wrong without correcting them is just telling you have no clue what you're talking about. Also you're implying you were "just playing dumb" on the comment before, which just makes you dumb, no offense.

Saying no offense when you know you're being offensive is.....?

• Confused 1

Okay, a few posts will be hidden here as some of these are pretty offensive here.

@MatrimC, Should you experience the issues you have described, we encourage users to complete the Multiplayer bug report template. This would include things like a Report code, which helps hugely with game tracking and gives us vital multiplayer information.

If you suspect people are cheating, contact myself through DM's, but there has to be reasonable grounds and a lot of evidence for this. I suspected someone had cheats in the BETA sessions this year, turns out it was James Baldwin and he's just rapid and I'm above average. We also can't account for how other drivers behave apart from lowering their safety and skill rating. If a player decides to hit you, much like in RL, and doesn't care for the consequences, then it's going to be pretty difficult to stop it, unless you dodge.

@BarryBL

while we have your attention on the “ranked” racing please do all of us dying for CM to wake up & realize we live in a “multiplayer” age.  For the past three years or more, CM has done NOTHING to improve multiplayer racing in their F1 series. NOTHING!!! Please stop focusing all your attention on the my team & career modes. CM needs to completely revamp their approach to multiplayer modes. 
1. take a page from GT Sport and make ranked races start on a time schedule instead whenever people join a race. Every 15 or 20 minutes for 5 lap races. Every 30 or 40 minutes for 25% races. 
2. Add a greater distance than the 25% as an option. Something like 40% or 50% races.

3. separate us by how many assist we use. No assist players only racing against other no assist racers. 1 assist players race against only other 1 assist racers, 2 assist players only race against other 2 assist racers. 3 assist players only race against other 3 assist racers. 
4. completely revamp you ranking system. If you behave poorly, you should be put in with only other poor players. Earn the right/respect to race against other players who have demonstrated that they can race cleanly & respectfully. If you drive like a jackass, be put in the pool with the rest of the bad racers & earn your way out. 
5. stop including feature events as multiplayer. They are NOT multiplayer. As for “esport” racing, freaking make them multiplayer not “glorified” single player featured events. 

these are just a few items off the top of my head. There is a lot more issues for CM to tackle. Do us a favor & go into Lee Mather’s office and tell him enough is enough & it’s time to jump out of the early 2000’s and into the 2020’s. For the the love of god, wake up & smell the coffee, CM is years behind other developers. If not decades!!!! You guys are only hurting yourselves & your shareholders. If you build it, they will come. Meaning, if CM finally gave us what we have been asking for years, you might sell more game & make more money. One last thing. Stop “host migration” format & build dedicated severs. Stop making us rely on some else’s internet connection to race online. It’s been over 3 years since I’ve even attempted a ranked race as they are beyond horrible!!

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 1

16 hours ago, Getts0388 said:

@PJTierney

what’s so confusing??? I’m more than happy to discuss this with you. 

Your suggestions are clear, however I am confused by their delivery method as it seems more combative than constructive, and thus reduces their effectiveness.

I'll assume you're not being hyerbolic, and take your comments at face value.

17 hours ago, Getts0388 said:

For the past three years or more, CM has done NOTHING to improve multiplayer racing in their F1 series. NOTHING!!!

There was a patch literally this week that addressed various stability issues in Multiplayer and added some quality-of-life features.

Please stop focusing all your attention on the my team & career modes.

Based on what I've been seeing online My Team (and Career in previous years) is by far the most popular mode in the game. It would make sense to put more focus on features the majority enjoys, in my opinion.

CM needs to completely revamp their approach to multiplayer modes. 

Not disagreeing with you, but do you have anything substantial to back this up? 

1. take a page from GT Sport and make ranked races start on a time schedule instead whenever people join a race. Every 15 or 20 minutes for 5 lap races. Every 30 or 40 minutes for 25% races. 

I liked those in GT Sport.

2. Add a greater distance than the 25% as an option. Something like 40% or 50% races.

F1 Esports currently uses 35% race distance. Maybe that will come to future games, who knows (spoiler: I don't as I'm not a developer).

That being said, 25% isn't that popular in Ranked to begin with as from my experience people tend to lean towards 5 Lap races. If you get taken out on Lap 1 you only have to wait 10-15 minutes to have another shot to rank up, and not 30. 

3. separate us by how many assist we use. No assist players only racing against other no assist racers. 1 assist players race against only other 1 assist racers, 2 assist players only race against other 2 assist racers. 3 assist players only race against other 3 assist racers. 

If you split matchmaking up too far then it can become almost impossible to find a decently-populated lobby. As mentioned above, it's already hard to find 20% races depending on the day/rank/platform.

Have a read of this: https://joostdevblog.blogspot.com/2014/11/why-good-matchmaking-requires-enormous.html.

WL2fn_sOECUg8eFo1g_Mbxw37OZ9BiwO2JhhLSeg

completely revamp you ranking system. If you behave poorly, you should be put in with only other poor players. Earn the right/respect to race against other players who have demonstrated that they can race cleanly & respectfully. If you drive like a jackass, be put in the pool with the rest of the bad racers & earn your way out. 

Can you come up with a suggestion for a system that properly and objectively defines who is driving well and who isn't? 

As much as I liked GT Sport here's a thread with 5,000 comments on how their system wasn't producing desired results for those commenting.

stop including feature events as multiplayer. They are NOT multiplayer. As for “esport” racing, freaking make them multiplayer not “glorified” single player featured events.

Asynchronous Multiplayer is still Multiplayer by definition, and one of the only viable ways to allow tens of thousands of people to take part. 

Do us a favor & go into Lee Mather’s office and tell him enough is enough & it’s time to jump out of the early 2000’s and into the 2020’s.

I don't know where you work but in the jobs I've had kicking down somebody's door and demanding changes, without providing substantial evidence in a constructive manner not an effective way to enact change. What it is effective at is getting told to go back through the gap in the wall where a door used to be.

If you build it, they will come.

Project CARS 3 built it, "they" didn't come.

I know that game wasn't well-received in general, but as somebody that regularly plays and hosts online sessions, it has many of the features you are asking for (Rating system, Scheduled Races etc.).

Meaning, if CM finally gave us what we have been asking for years, you might sell more game & make more money.

If you can provide substantial evidence of that then you may have a case. Codemasters has an entire department dedicated to data, analytics and user research (LiveOps) that looks at the bigger picture on what elements of each game are "working" and what ones aren't, so if the audience is as critical as you imply the data should already be in there somewhere 🙂 

One last thing. Stop “host migration” format & build dedicated severs.

If you can justify the enormous expenses, sure. The only racing games I know of (in the console space) that use dedicated servers are published by Microsoft/Sony.

For the past three years or more, CM has done NOTHING to improve multiplayer racing in their F1 series. NOTHING!!!

It’s been over 3 years since I’ve even attempted a ranked race as they are beyond horrible!!

That sort of invalidates your initial argument as you haven't played the feature you're giving all the feedback on, and instead relying on second-hand information.

One final point for anyone reading this: A drive-by comment at the tail end of a thread isn't as effective as a constructive, well thought-out proposal that's posted in the right place.

Even so, significant changes to pillars of game design (ie: overhauling an entire subset of the game) requires at least a year of research, design and development (sometimes 2+). 

Smaller things could, depending on the game and service plan, be tweaked in future updates*.

* If you want an example of that, here is how I convinced Turn 10 to add a new lobby to Forza Motorsport 6 within 24 hours.

I provided context and data, outlined the positives of a reasonable suggestion and opened the floor for others to support it in the thread to show that more people than me wanted that change to happen. 

I was later told by Turn 10 that this was the perfect way to give feedback and make a suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The best thing to do with the ranked lobbies is do your 5 races, get the achieve a rank trophy and never go back. It's a complete mess. I unfortunately entered the ranked lobbies when the game was first released... you know, when it was far from actually being finished. Kind of like giving you your pizza you payed for before it's even been put it the oven. I was so lucky to have 3 of my 5 races be covered up by the communicating with online services screen issue. Couldn't see anything and had no choice but to either crash or let the AI take over.....and crash. It was super fun. One of the races I did get to actually see, I was taken out at Baku and when I got to the pits to change my wing, my pit crew didn't come out of the garage and my car left the same way I entered the pits. I have it recorded. It's some of CM finest work. The problem with ranked is everything. It's like entering a demolition derby and trying not to get hit. At some point, you're getting hit and the person who does it, if done properly benefits while you drop back and suffer a rating drop. Or if they're real good at it, you're terminally damaged and your race is over, and nothing happens to them. CM do us all a favor and don't make us go through the disaster that is ranked to achieve a trophy in the next game. It's almost as bad as the Weekly Event GP's, when the slower people don't pit and if you're unfortunate to come out of the pits behind one of them, you not only get held up, but your race is also ruined because the main chunk of points are for how fast you complete the race. You pretty much have to pull a pit stop gap on P2 if you want to score well and not worry about your race being a write off. Or you can just score well by benefiting from those lovely glitched scores that end up being 200,000 points more than some of the fastest players online. But you don't like to talk about that so I'd best not mention that. It's not like P1 in a Weekly Event gets an invite to participate in the Time Trial route of the F1 Esports Series 2021 or anything. We wouldn't want to remove those scores from the Leaderboard before the event ends so the rightful individual gets what they earned. That would just make way too much sense to do. And probably take a long time... a couple minutes I'm guessing. 

LOL to the predictable thumbs down                                     

Edited by Sir_Overtakesalot
  • Disagree 1

Not sure of the effort of coding my suggestion but I would like to see the player being given the choice of whitelisting/blacklisting the players they meet online, rather than having an algorithm determining the matchmaking (to be clear I don't know the algorithm as I'm guessing from what I have seen, if it is available I would like to read it). As an example:

Step 1: You do your first online races like normal, you have the drivers you like racing against and those you don't. The game stores the results of the race locally to your PC/console

Step 2: After the race or session, player can look at the results, open a submenu to give the thumbs up/down to the player. The thumbs up won't mean much in how this is coded, but could be a good kudos to someone you enjoyed racing with. The thumbs down is the blacklist. This list I believe could be stored locally on the PC/console.

Step 3: In your next session of online races, in the process of entering the lobby. The game checks the blacklists of players entering or already in the lobby. If a black mark is found, another lobby is found. If coded efficiently, this shouldn't take any time at all to compute. 

I understand that it may not be the best thing to not race if you have just 1 driver you don't like racing against, so you could set a maximum tolerance so that a race is not being constantly searched for, but the idea could mean that if you are suspicious of cheating (i.e much faster than esports), they can be blacklisted, as well as any drivers who cause the game to be less enjoyable than it should be. 

1 hour ago, jameswallace said:

Step 3: In your next session of online races, in the process of entering the lobby. The game checks the blacklists of players entering or already in the lobby. If a black mark is found, another lobby is found. If coded efficiently, this shouldn't take any time at all to compute. 

In a hypothetical example, let's say there are 5 lobbies open the moment you hit Matchmake.

All 5 of those lobbies have a Blacklisted player in them.

What happens to you in this scenario? Do you not get to race at all?

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

In a hypothetical example, let's say there are 5 lobbies open the moment you hit Matchmake.

All 5 of those lobbies have a Blacklisted player in them.

What happens to you in this scenario? Do you not get to race at all?

I did put a small reference to this in the last sentence of my original post where the user could set a tolerance on how many blacklisted players they are prepared to race against so that the chances of finding a race is higher (and importantly this setting should be able to be changed..I don't necessarily mind racing against the blacklisted players after a few drinks in the evening).

For me personally, if I wanted a good session of clean racing, I wouldn't mind waiting for a bit longer to find a decent race, as the number of times I get through quali and then have a race ruined by players who don't have an interest in completing the race is more frustrating than waiting a few minutes to get a good lobby. Might be interesting to see if the community ever voted on something like this?

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 5:06 PM, steviejay69 said:

Saying no offense when you know you're being offensive is.....?

Stating a general fact on public behaviour doesn't equal offending you. If you find yourself matching the criterias of the general fact, maybe you should reflect upon it instead of taking offense of it.  Also... Nice job on avoiding the previous sentence on quoted post to try and save face. 

On 11/19/2020 at 5:26 PM, BarryBL said:

Should you experience the issues you have described, we encourage users to complete the Multiplayer bug report template. This would include things like a Report code, which helps hugely with game tracking and gives us vital multiplayer information.

I've been mostly avoiding and initiating votekicks on them if I've ran into them last weeks. I'll race against them again and give you a DM on report code and timestamps. And I do want to specify that I'm not talking about people who run other cars off the road and whatnot, I'm talking about players who have their names up on TT and weekly events with insane time/score with all assists on and having that same performance in ranked lobbies.