Jump to content Jump to content

Please, no DLC segregation...

Considering that this is a Codemasters games, we are bound to get DLC in future. Whether it be cars, tracks, or maybe something else, we will most likely get DLC. But in GRID 2 not only was the DLC overpriced for what it offered, but the fact that I couldn't take that DLC online really bugged me. I bought the Bathurst pack, & for that $15NZ I paid I got a handful of cars that are glitched (all sound like V8s, pretty sure the Sierra & R32 aren't V8s) & are unavailable to drive online? Also, this DLC prevented me from playing with my friends, as we all had different packs, & the game refused entry into a friend's lobby, stating that DLC was required. Why can't it be like DiRT3 where I can take my DLC cars online in any lobby? I just don't understand...
Think CM have made it pretty clear they don’t want to get into that situation again with Autosport. Personally I’m not even convinced there’ll be any significant DLC anyway, they won’t want to support a last-gen-only title any longer than they have to. More likely they’ll provide “support” by organising more of their racing leagues and other community-focused activities.
Think CM have made it pretty clear they don’t want to get into that situation again with Autosport. Personally I’m not even convinced there’ll be any significant DLC anyway, they won’t want to support a last-gen-only title any longer than they have to. More likely they’ll provide “support” by organising more of their racing leagues and other community-focused activities.
agreed they'll support the leagues and supply patches where needed but I think that's as far CM will want to go as soon as Autosport is done. As I think they'll want to move onto the next gen now like the other  gaming companies have
likewise said:
It also messed up F12013 with the added DLC Historic tracks splitting the community in two... I will never fall for that again.
I don't think CM will screw up like that again either at least I hope not. A lot of mistakes were made last year with both Grid and F1. At least CM appear to be acknowledging that now and are trying to put things right. I just hope that F1 2014 turns out to be as good an attempt to get us back onside as this Grid attempt appears to be because I'm really looking forward to this.
What caused the problem was that Tracks were DLC, If it was just cars there shouldn't have been as much fragmentation.

I raced plenty of people who were using the "peak performance" cars and I never bought them as the standard car upgraded was always faster imo....
On the PC side, Codemasters had Steam do an automatic update that gave all PC players some new free DLC cars and show the other dlcs cars. But you had to buy the DLC car pack to get to use the other DLC cars.

On the console side, Codemasters could not use an automatic update. Codies try to get the word out to consoles players, there some free cars to be had if player would go download this new update. If console player never got the news, they did not get to see the DLC cars online.

I don't remember if that stop console players that did not have the new free car DLC from joining some of the playlist.

Considering that this is a Codemasters games, we are bound to get DLC in future. Whether it be cars, tracks, or maybe something else, we will most likely get DLC. But in GRID 2 not only was the DLC overpriced for what it offered, but the fact that I couldn't take that DLC online really bugged me. I bought the Bathurst pack, & for that $15NZ I paid I got a handful of cars that are glitched (all sound like V8s, pretty sure the Sierra & R32 aren't V8s) & are unavailable to drive online? Also, this DLC prevented me from playing with my friends, as we all had different packs, & the game refused entry into a friend's lobby, stating that DLC was required. Why can't it be like DiRT3 where I can take my DLC cars online in any lobby? I just don't understand...
Scooter, I'm sure it was said a player can loan any and every car for an online race, in order to prevent G2's dlc issues you allude to, this time around.

DJ007 said:
Scooter, I'm sure it was said a player can loan any and every car for an online race, in order to prevent G2's dlc issues you allude to, this time around.

I would doubt if you would get a loaner car of a DLC car online. That did not happen with GRID 2. You only got to use the free DLC car in that tier. You could call the free cars loaners I guess, but the free DLC cars were faster than the loaner cars..

The DLC that broke the camel back was when Codemasters release single track DLCs. This really made a mess online. Host might have only 1 or the other track or have both DLC tracks. If you did not have the right combo ( and the right other DLCs and pre-order bonuses ), you could not join the custom host.

No problem enjoying GRID 2 DLCs offline, big problem trying to get to use them online.

I think extra content release after the final version of a racing game, is best done with an expansion pack, with new cars and tracks, release 6-12 months later. Players are starting to get bored with the stock cars and tracks that came with the game and are ready to race some new cars and tracks.
I'm still waiting for a developer/publisher to try out an 'old model' of offering free DLC and via that method enticing new purchasers to the game. I sometimes get put off buying a game I'd like to buy, say at £20, when I then have to buy another £20 worth of DLC to get to the state of the game my friends are playing.

I'd really be interested to see if a developer/publisher would be interested in trying this as a little experiment.
Rapster said:
I'm still waiting for a developer/publisher to try out an 'old model' of offering free DLC and via that method enticing new purchasers to the game. I sometimes get put off buying a game I'd like to buy, say at £20, when I then have to buy another £20 worth of DLC to get to the state of the game my friends are playing.

I'd really be interested to see if a developer/publisher would be interested in trying this as a little experiment.
Unfortunately I can't see that ever happening you'll be able to buy games that'll have some of the DLC included like in the Mass Effect Trilogy pack but I don't see them going any further than that
Although I like the possibility of adding new tracks once a game is out, I absolutely hate it when they split the online community. 

As we all know, racing games aren't as popular as the likes of bf4 and cod etc and their segregated communities can survive with having different maps/expansions due to the sheer number of people that play those games.  We notice the online numbers in the servers/playlists more when the community is on different tracks etc.  Not good for longevity...

Please do not do this gradual dlc crap - just give us an expansion pack as mentioned above.  If the stock game is good enough to keep me entertained for a year, I'd gladly by a decent sized expansion with cars/tracks for around £15