Changing Engines (parts) between P2 and P3??

Do you guys change engines between P2 and P3? Basically have a race ICE and a practice engine? I guess this could also apply to other parts like MGUK/H etc.

I'm not talking about replacing when worn out but literally swapping back and forth race and practice kit.

I do, always. In the menus it will show "pending" but once you hit the track in FP3 you will have the new components.

51 minutes ago, janbonator said:

I do, always. In the menus it will show "pending" but once you hit the track in FP3 you will have the new components.

So is this the way it would be in actual F1? I was thinking more about allocation and how the real teams 'dispurse' the different units through the season.

It sure does make a HUGE difference on lap times once you get a few races in with career or my team modes!

6 minutes ago, Skye68 said:

So is this the way it would be in actual F1? I was thinking more about allocation and how the real teams 'dispurse' the different units through the season.

It sure does make a HUGE difference on lap times once you get a few races in with career or my team modes!

It does! I find it fun to plan how to use the engine components over the season, prioritizing new PUs for certain tracks etc.

At least it used to be so that the teams could use/change whatever components they wanted through FP 1 & 2, but from FP3 onward they have to use the same components or take a penalty. I believe it still is that way. Hence, the PUs of the early season races become "practice engines" for later on. Some teams make plans already in pre-season to run some extra components at some point and take a penalty for it. Red Bull is a good example from past years.

• Agree 1

Real F1 teams are swapping parts in and out every time. Not only from one GP to the next, but between sessions too. The mechanics are always busy in those intervals.

They manage their components accordingly to the season. Mostly what we get to see are the wings and body parts coming and going, with say a rear wing model that debuted in Silverstone disappearing after that event just to pop up again in one practice session two GPs down the road, and so on. But it actually happens with PUs too.

Like engines. Sometimes a team will get an upgraded ICE from the factory/manufacturer and instead of simply bolting it into the car from day one, they'll put their selection of engines in rotation to prioritize the upgraded ICE for power hungry tracks, for instance.

Ahh, now that I've seen a few comments, I think Code masters are really kind of not utilizing this at all with F1. I love the game btw.

I just think it is something that is already there in the game/sim, and if they just added a little guidance, it would definitely bring a whole 'nother' aspect of the real deal as far as strategy goes. 

I know there have to people playing that are just waiting until components are clapped out and then replacing them.

I used to swap parts between sessions, but then I realised that the AI drivers don't do this. Instead the AI appears to use the same part for all sessions until it decides it needs replacing. It is noticeable over the course of the season that if you keep swapping your engine parts you can get a nice performance advantage over the AI.

Sobecause I'm a bit crazy and I don't like to give myself any advantage of over the AI, except where I earn it on the track, I do the same as the AI. Also if I need a new part and have to take a grid penalty, I'll make that call before the Grand Prix weekend, rather than basing it on where I've qualified on a certain track and replacing a whole engine between qualifying and the race(60 place grid penalty). Again because the AI doesn't do that.

Ps. If anyone has worked out how or why the AI comes to take grid penalties as early as Australia, Bahrain and Vietnam, I'd love to know. That one has always confused me.

On 9/16/2020 at 4:02 AM, janbonator said:

It does! I find it fun to plan how to use the engine components over the season, prioritizing new PUs for certain tracks etc.

At least it used to be so that the teams could use/change whatever components they wanted through FP 1 & 2, but from FP3 onward they have to use the same components or take a penalty. I believe it still is that way. Hence, the PUs of the early season races become "practice engines" for later on. Some teams make plans already in pre-season to run some extra components at some point and take a penalty for it. Red Bull is a good example from past years.

I didn’t realise that the real rule was that the race parts had to be in the car from P3 onwards. I believed it was from when they roll out for quali and are in parc fermé. I have gotten so frustrated with the game because I’ve forgotten to change parts after P2 and ended up with penalties for what I believed was something I was legally allowed to do.

16 hours ago, Y2Kev said:

I didn’t realise that the real rule was that the race parts had to be in the car from P3 onwards. I believed it was from when they roll out for quali and are in parc fermé. I have gotten so frustrated with the game because I’ve forgotten to change parts after P2 and ended up with penalties for what I believed was something I was legally allowed to do.

I’m not sure if this is a bug but I use old(er) components for P1, P2 & P3 and then swap them out for fresher ones prior to Qualifying. I get the notification that changing them will result in a penalty but it never gets applied. It’s something that has only been happening since update 1.13 IIRC.

19 hours ago, DJNicks87 said:

I’m not sure if this is a bug but I use old(er) components for P1, P2 & P3 and then swap them out for fresher ones prior to Qualifying. I get the notification that changing them will result in a penalty but it never gets applied. It’s something that has only been happening since update 1.13 IIRC.

I’ve never changed them once I saw the penalty notice come up. Will give it a try. Thanks.

Just now, Y2Kev said:

I changed it once and am sure I got a pen so haven’t changed them after P3 since. Could be wrong though but pretty sure I’m not.

On 9/16/2020 at 2:18 AM, Skye68 said:

Do you guys change engines between P2 and P3? Basically have a race ICE and a practice engine? I guess this could also apply to other parts like MGUK/H etc.

I'm not talking about replacing when worn out but literally swapping back and forth race and practice kit.

Is it possible to do this between P3 and Q1? I’ve change my engine parts between P2 and P3 but have not risked doing it between P3 and Q1

Edited by Monzie83

3 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

Is it possible to do this between P3 and Q1? I’ve change my engine parts between P2 and P3 but have not risked doing it between P3 and Q1

Yes, that’s exactly what I do and I don’t get any penalties.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DJNicks87 said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I do and I don’t get any penalties.

Even with the penalty warnings that come up on some parts?

4 hours ago, Y2Kev said:

Even with the penalty warnings that come up on some parts?

Yes. I think that’s a bug as the penalties don’t get applied. 

Either the penalty warning message is being displayed incorrectly, or the penalties aren’t being applied in error? @BarryBL can you shed any light on this?

On 12/18/2020 at 10:07 AM, DJNicks87 said:

Either the penalty warning message is being displayed incorrectly, or the penalties aren’t being applied in error? @BarryBL can you shed any light on this?

I think it must be a bug, as you should be able to change any parts before leaving the garage in Q1 and thus entering Parc Ferme (including at your workstation before starting Q1 and changing parts in Q1 before leaving the garage - obviously if you change in Q1 before leaving the garage it takes up time).

It would appear the warnings are incorrectly displayed in the above two scenarios. 

Edited by Monzie83

On 12/18/2020 at 10:07 AM, DJNicks87 said:

It must be a bug. I finally plucked up the courage to change after P3 and it mentioned penalties but none were applied. I think that I recall saying to myself the time I thought I’d got a penalty for it “Oh, well, if I’m getting a penalty anyway I may as well get slightly fresher parts and leave it till after Q.

Thank you!

FYI all, this should now be corrected in the new patch released today

• Like 1

Agreed. Solved in 1.15. Thanks for the reports everyone

• Thanks 1