Newbie Questions

Couple of newbie questions - apologies, only been playing a few days

- On your profile bar in the top left, you have your car number, flag, helmet and then what looks like a controller with a yellow or red background with a number below it.  What does this number and colour mean?

- Any tips on general setup, from what ive read aero is king with a little bit of handling - is this correct?  and then for street circuits put more handling in?

Thanks

1.      The controller is your safety rating and is supposed to be an indicator of how ‘safe’ a driver you are, red means you have a low safety rating, yellow means an ‘average’ safety rating and green is good.

In reality it means very little as you tend to get penalised for any accidental corner cutting and I often get penalised when my opponent hits me. Also, with the BOTs being so slow or suddenly stopping, it’s almost impossible to do a race without hitting them. 

2.      Aero used to be key but lightweight now is. My preferred set-up at every track is power – 478, Aero – 347, Lightweight – 1000, Handling – 289, brakes – 90. You may not be able to copy this set up if you’re new but look at the ratios of how the points are distributed and do the same. This set-up works at every circuit and I use it everywhere. In events I may use a little more aero at certain circuits or more power at others but this is absolutely fine for duelling.  

Thanks very much!

Yeh i find in a race and particularly first corner you will definitely hit someone, im using full assist so the AI just makes me fly into it. Also the computer stopping cars in the middle of a corner is really annoying, you cant do anything but hit them at full tilt. If anyone has a green rating im very impressed!

i'll change my set up and see how i get on.

12 hours ago, JD111 said:

Also the computer stopping cars in the middle of a corner is really annoying, you cant do anything but hit them at full tilt.

You are now a veteran of the game.  Here is a pro tip, Absolutely at all costs stay away from Ferraris.  Yoda, Lebowski, and Dr Seuss will all agree

Firstly I’d turn off assists and spend time playing single races to learn the tracks as that’s really key. My personal experience is that aero isn’t so important and it doesn’t correlate that a typical high downforce track needs more aero. I’m my opinion weight is more important. For example you’ll get a better time in Hungary with more weight points than with more aero points; more weight points gets you out of the corners quicker. Maybe others have a different opinion though

Edited by KMPkemp
Mistake

thanks, i'll give the assists off a go.  Best to play with buttons or with just tilting the phone?

5 minutes ago, JD111 said:

thanks, i'll give the assists off a go.  Best to play with buttons or with just tilting the phone?

Do you have every assist turn on to max at the moment? 

Turning all assists off will gain you about 3s a lap. Braking assist is the worst, it will slow you down in places that aren't necessary and overbrake in other corners, practise on getting that to zero as fast as possible. It'll take a lot of work in single player but it will be worth it. 

Steering assist is also bad, it makes you stick to the racing line so you can't go out wide to take corners faster in higher gears.

Stability is the least important but you should aim to get this down to one ortwo bars. 

Edited by G1bby

yeh i do, i havent been playing that long and just wanted to get some tracks so play with all of them turned on

1 minute ago, JD111 said:

yeh i do, i havent been playing that long and just wanted to get some tracks so play with all of them turned on

Sorry I just edited my post. 

I used full assists when I first started playing which was fine depending on what you want form the game. I wanted to get faster so I slowly practised in single player mode without assists. I started playing using tap but switched to tilt about two months ago as it is faster. 

Thanks, i'll move to tilt and start from scratch, easier way to do it then learning that later.  Can I get away with low assists or is it better with them all off?

10 minutes ago, JD111 said:

Thanks, i'll move to tilt and start from scratch, easier way to do it then learning that later.  Can I get away with low assists or is it better with them all off?

Even low assists will make you +1s a lap slower. Practice with one or two bars and when you're comfortable turn them off.