Jump to content
F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Increase braking power

Recommended Posts

A lot of people should have already noticed that in every setup for F1 2020 that you can pick up/copy/download from internet “brake pressure” is always set to 100% and “front brake bias” to 50%...in past versions of the game there was a great variety, so why is this happening? Because this year brake power has been a lot underpowered (I think 100% brake pressure in F1 2020 equals to around 70% brake pressure of F1 2019) and shifting brake bias to the front is now useless mainly because engine brake has been completely removed.

In this situation the cars almost never lock-up the tyres (in fact this year it is almost like driving with abs enabled: even applying full pedal brake you can only very slightly lock-up at the very end of the corner, near the apex while turning, but never on the straight during the first part like it could happen in F1 2019 setting 100% brake pressure or in real life – see Vettel and Raikkonen at Spa 2020 for example) and now it is also impossible to loose the rear of the car while braking; again if you watch real F1 footage you can see that sometimes drivers have to make fast corrections while braking in order not to loose the rear (like it was in F1 2019), in F1 2020 instead, even before braking you already know that it won’t ever happen.

It would be great to have F1 2021 with a good compromise between F1 2019 and F1 2020 and in doing so I would suggest to at least take this year max brake pressure value (100%) and set it equal to 90% pressure of F1 2021 in order to have a 10% more brake power margin in the setup and also bring back some engine brake to the cars (just a little bit, not too much like it was in F1 2019, but also in my opinion removing it completely was not a big deal).

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sennup said:

see Vettel and Raikkonen at Spa 2020 for example)

Was this possibly where cars were closely following each other such that dirty air was the cause?

It doesn't obviously seen 'wrong' to me that we can brake at maximum pressure at high speed in a straight line without locking up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Was this possibly where cars were closely following each other such that dirty air was the cause?

It doesn't obviously seen 'wrong' to me that we can brake at maximum pressure at high speed in a straight line without locking up.

That was an example, anyway in real F1 if you apply full pedal brake and don't modulate for sure you get a massive lock-up, while in F1 2020 you can keep on braking without modulating and the max you get is a very light lock-up entering the corner

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sennup said:

anyway in real F1 if you apply full pedal brake and don't modulate for sure you get a massive lock-up

At high speed on a straight? I doubt it because frankly that would seem a dumb setup to use.

Your video is going into a corner, where I feel the game could behave similarly. We can't of course tell what Sebastian was doing with his brake pedal at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is going into a corner, but the tyres have a massive lock-up before turning...in F1 2020 you can't get such a lock-up because brake pressure is too low

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sennup said:

He is going into a corner, but the tyres have a massive lock-up before turning...in F1 2020 you can't get such a lock-up because brake pressure is too low

It's not specifically about turning but also that he's going slower as he's closer to the corner.

I think you know but in case, lock ups happen then the braking resistance exceeds the grip. Grip is highest at high speeds due to the downforce this generates, which is why maximum brake application at high speed in a straight line shouldn't cause a lock up.

I appreciate you're noting a change from the 2019 game but it's not obvious to me that this was more correct than what we have now in F1 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want to point out is that in F1 2020 is impossible to replicate the lock-ups seen in real F1 (the first time I tried F1 2020 I had to check the options to see if abs was enabled, but now I think they made that change to suit better joypad users)

Also brake pressure should be set according to the circuit, so the fact that in F1 2020 you use 100% brake pressure for EVERY circuit is a clear proof to me that something is wrong (not to mention brake bias: on dry circuits in real F1 they use generally around 56-58%, 54% was the most used setting in F1 2019 that also should be changed in-car according to type of turn or tyre degradation, 50% always in F1 2020)

Edited by Sennup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sennup said:

What I want to point out is that in F1 2020 is impossible to replicate the lock-ups seen in real F1 (the first time I tried F1 2020 I had to check the options to see if abs was enabled, but now I think they made that change to suit better joypad users)

I'm learning to drive without ABS and so lock up quite a bit? I can easily do what was in your Vettel example if I get it wrong. 

Is it that your skill level means you never lock up or do you think it's behaving differently for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In F1 2019 I generally used around 85-90% brake pressure (95% Monza and 100% in Canada) with 54-56% brake bias and usually had to modulate brake pedal in order to turn well and don't lock-up;

in F1 2020 I use always, for every circuit 100% brake pressure and 50% brake bias and I can stamp full force the brake pedal without significant modulation because tyres will very rarely have eventually only a minor lock-up

P.S. in F1 2021 default brake pressure could be set to 90% (equal to 100% of F1 2020) so those who like the weak brake pressure should be happy, as well as those who would want to change that setting and increase it (I really do not think that real F1 cars have such weak brakes like those replicated in F1 2020)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the feedback from F1 drivers such as Russel was that the brakes locked up too easily in F1 2019. In general I like the changes, but I do agree that it feels a bit off, especially with the brake bias. There should be more of a trade off; more braking power with bias to the front and better rotation with rear bias. Right now it feels like there's more rotation with rear but no meaningful trade off in braking power.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it should be also considered that real F1 brake pedals are much harder than usual PC pedal set, so given the same car brake power and foot pedal pressur, it should be normal to lock-up a bit easier on a PC pedal set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sennup said:

it should be also considered that real F1 brake pedals are much harder than usual PC pedal set, so given the same car brake power and foot pedal pressur, it should be normal to lock-up a bit easier on a PC pedal set.

Not really, since people will obviously change how much pressure they apply depending on the pedal set used. People won't press as hard as they might have to in real life if they don't need to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But if it is 10 years that you're used to apply for example 10 kg force to the pedal, it will take some time to adapt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sennup said:

But if it is 10 years that you're used to apply for example 10 kg force to the pedal, it will take some time to adapt...

Sure, although I don't see how that relates to your last post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 6:06 PM, Ultra3142 said:

Sure, although I don't see how that relates to your last post.

I mean that for the time the professional driver doesn't get used to the new softer pedal, he will surely argue that the car lock up much easier, but the real problem is that he is applying too much force

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting the fact that now coming back playing F1 2019 I had to set a lower brake pressure than what I was used to set (80-85% instead of 90-95%) because I am now somewhat accustomed by F1 2020 to use full pedal range (this brake pressure is anyway still stronger than 100% of F1 2020)...funny to notice that last year when I re-tried F1 2018 my first thought was how much better F1 2019 was, now getting back to F1 2019 makes me instead think how much worse F1 2020 is :-/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally feel ok with stopping power, you can generally brake later than in 2019. What I'd really be happy with if we had punishment for all those tyre lockups, not just a visual effect of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sergey_blackbird said:

I personally feel ok with stopping power, you can generally brake later than in 2019. What I'd really be happy with if we had punishment for all those tyre lockups, not just a visual effect of it.

Doesn't locking up the wheels produce extra tyre wear in the 2020 version of the game? Surely that could be deemed as punishment enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scrogs said:

Doesn't locking up the wheels produce extra tyre wear in the 2020 version of the game? Surely that could be deemed as punishment enough.

Yeah it does. At least, locking up causes the bar during Tyre practice to slide to the left very fast. So it should affect tyre wear.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scrogs said:

Doesn't locking up the wheels produce extra tyre wear in the 2020 version of the game? Surely that could be deemed as punishment enough.

A bad lockup eats out around 1% of tyre wear. It's negligible in my opinion. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 12:48 PM, sergey_blackbird said:

A bad lockup eats out around 1% of tyre wear. It's negligible in my opinion. 

1%. As low as that. In that case I'm going to try a few laps with ABS turned off. To see if there is any improvement in speed or performance compared to possible increased tyre wear. Like.....see if it's worth trading some extra tyre wear for faster laps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bad lockup? In F1 2020 is impossible to have it...all you can get is a very slight lockup that never compromises the entering of the apex/corner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sennup said:

A bad lockup? In F1 2020 is impossible to have it...all you can get is a very slight lockup that never compromises the entering of the apex/corner

I guess you haven't seen me try and drive with it turned off then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zZ A M P Aa said:

I guess you haven't seen me try and drive with it turned off then

with a joypad or pedal set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×