F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

More ways to earn PitCoins by playing?

Hi there, I think we can all agree on the fact that we should be able to earn some PitCoins in a way other than buying them (and then getting 10k through the Podium Pass).

I think the best thing here would be the Weekly Events, wouldn't they? We had a great system in 2019 where you could earn Competitions Points, now you only earn a trophy.

It would be cool to have the reward system for the Weekly Event from 2019, now with PitCoins in 2020, so 1.5k, then 900, then 800 and so on. Don't know why they removed that.

Edited by ReimvomSchleim

1 hour ago, ReimvomSchleim said:

I think we can all agree on the fact that we should be able to earn some PitCoins in a way other than buying them (and then getting 10k through the Podium Pass).

Why?

That we might like to is a different question :classic_smile:.

For context, those who pre-ordered the game paid more and got enough pitcoins to purchase VIP access (eventually in some cases). Those buying the game now and then buying the pitcoins needed for VIP access will still be paying less.

Edited by Ultra3142

I'd be great to be rewarded PitCoins for success in weekly events. They'd need to get a working system to clean the bugs / cheats from the leaderboard first though.

• Agree 1

Eh, the current system works fine I think. Provided you play enough (and really, not that much) you can earn your fairly small initial investment back very quickly.

52 minutes ago, GnrDreagon said:

Eh, the current system works fine I think. Provided you play enough (and really, not that much) you can earn your fairly small initial investment back very quickly.

Sure, it's clearly designed for casual players. Those who put in more hours would generally like to have a possibility of being rewarded for it. Just like in every aspect of life I guess.

There's another problem for such an idea though. Right on PS4 there's one player with 3 accounts occupying the top 3 of the qualifying leaderboard. Cheeky but impressive I must say.

31 minutes ago, janbonator said:

Sure, it's clearly designed for casual players.

That very much depends on your definition of "casual". I'd say the amount of time I played the game went significantly beyond this description and I only got to rank 30 one day before Season 1 was due to end. Note it's far easier for experienced players of previous games to complete challenges. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

That very much depends on your definition of "casual". I'd say the amount of time I played the game went significantly beyond this description and I only got to rank 30 one day before Season 1 was due to end. Note it's far easier for experienced players of previous games to complete challenges. 

I'm sure you are right. I suppose what I referred to was "casual" in overall experience of the game series for the past 4-5 years. I do acknowledge to having put a huge amount of hours into the game for the past few months so it kind of skews my definition of casual. Be as it may, I never tried to do the challenges but they were completed in two weeks anyways. Or well, the challenges were far from completed but the XP or whatever accumulates even just for lapping in TT.  That I think is very good. I have no interest in trying to win a French GP with Pierre Gasly against the AI, for example.

To summarize, I don't think there's anything wrong with the reward system of the Podium Pass. I just think it'd be nice to have some separate incentives for the Weekly Events that's all.

11 hours ago, janbonator said:

I'm sure you are right. I suppose what I referred to was "casual" in overall experience of the game series for the past 4-5 years. I do acknowledge to having put a huge amount of hours into the game for the past few months so it kind of skews my definition of casual. Be as it may, I never tried to do the challenges but they were completed in two weeks anyways. Or well, the challenges were far from completed but the XP or whatever accumulates even just for lapping in TT.  That I think is very good. I have no interest in trying to win a French GP with Pierre Gasly against the AI, for example.

I just did some quick sums out of curiosity. We get 25 XP for each clean lap in TT, which for let's say an average lap time of 80s this would take an average of 1 hour 40 minutes every day of the Podium Pass season to reach tier 30. There are of course extra XP for improving leaderboard placement and beating rivals but also many laps will be invalidated and give no XP at all. Average lap times will also be slower for newer players than experienced ones.

For myself I got off to a slow start in the last Podium Pass as I really wasn't targeting XP until I realised the pitcoin/VIP access situation. To reach tier 30 I did end up having to make a real effort to focus on what gave me the highest return of XP per lap (so challenges, winning 3 lap races, deliberately incremental improvements in TT). I was playing the game every day to do so, for typically an hour or so on weekdays and rather more at weekends. 

To summarize, I don't think there's anything wrong with the reward system of the Podium Pass. I just think it'd be nice to have some separate incentives for the Weekly Events that's all.

I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with it either but was just making the point that the game still has be be played quite a lot to reach Tier 30 rather than this being something that is just bound to happen for everyone without even trying. 

And absolutely I'm sure all players would like to be able to earn extra pitcoins in some way in the game. I'm sure Codemasters would prefer people to hand over money for these though.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Like 1

I don't think we should have to buy VIP each time a new pass comes out. Otherwise you can't actually buy anything without spending real money.

57 minutes ago, Mattitudey2j said:

I don't think we should have to buy VIP each time a new pass comes out. Otherwise you can't actually buy anything without spending real money.

Which of course commercially is the point. There is no 'should' about this really. Codemasters can choose to implement this how they want and then as consumers we can choose what we're willing to pay money for.

I think the way PitCoins are implemented into the Podium Pass i totally fine, invest 9k and get 10k out of it, without having to spend too much time.

But with that 1k plus each season, you can only really buy a item of the item shop (without paying real money) after 3 seasons (as legendary items and liveries cost over 2k PitCoins).

I think it's fine but it would be cool for players who put a lot of time into the game and not spend money, to get some more opportunities to get them. For example, you get 2k PitCoins for reaching the Gold skill rating. And then 5k for reaching Master Rank. Or through the Weekly Events.

It shouldnt be too many opportunities, but just 2-3 maybe.

I think it wouldn't be wise to link any kind of reward system to reaching certain levels of skill - that just creates an elitist environment. If CM were to pick up on this it should be based on the amount of time you play the game. I personally can put in a couple of hours a day.....but I am not going to be anywhere near the top end of any skill table for a long time yet.

• Agree 1