F1 2020 |ONLINE SERVICE BACK ONLINE | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Competition | 10,000 Pitcoin Reward - Ending 20/10/2020 | MyTeam Story Time Read more... ×

Improving the Weather system

I'd like to bring back an old topic from the archives:

Despite massive improvments of the game in the last years, I think one of the most important things is neglected in the last games.

The weather system is the same for nearly five or six years now and there wasn't a huge step of improvments in a long time. I remember when F1 2012 came out, the step of the weather system was impressive - and in this game, the weather model was more realistic than in the games of the last years. The way how the rain came to an track or the track dried out was much less predictable. In the current games, it's always the same. As soon as the DRS is disabled, you know that its time for the wet tyres, and as soon as its enabled again, you are save for slicks again. Look at the postings in the topic above and watch this video:

You were able to drive with Slicks on the dry line, but if you pushed to hard, and came away from the racing line, your race was over. Same way for wet tyres in the dry. You were able to cool your tyres on the wet places on the track and were able to race a lot longer on the wet tyres. And in the current games it's always the same sheme. So, there are no really opportunitys (especially in leagues), were slower drivers could surprise in difficult conditions.

I think this topic is one of the most important topics of a racing game. And before moaning and concentrating on liverys or stuff, I think the devs should focus more on the on track things again, and not only about features, that the manority of people like to see. (MyTeam etc.)

Edited by Jaketa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Jaketa said:

I'd like to bring back an old topic from the archives:

Despite massive improvments of the game in the last years, I think one of the most important things is neglected in the last games.

The weather system is the same for nearly five or six years now and there wasn't a huge step of improvments in a long time. I remember when F1 2012 came out, the step of the weather system was impressive - and in this game, the weather model was more realistic than in the games of the last years. The way how the rain came to an track or the track dried out was much less predictable. In the current games, it's always the same. As soon as the DRS is disabled, you know that its time for the wet tyres, and as soon as its enabled again, you are save for slicks again. Look at the postings in the topic above and watch this video:

You were able to drive with Slicks on the dry line, but if you pushed to hard, and came away from the racing line, your race was over. Same way for wet tyres in the dry. You were able to cool your tyres on the wet places on the track and were able to race a lot longer on the wet tyres. And in the current games it's always the same sheme. So, there are no really opportunitys (especially in leagues), were slower drivers could surprise in difficult conditions.

I think this topic is one of the most important topics of a racing game. And before moaning and concentrating on liverys or stuff, I think the devs should focus more on the on track things again, and not only about features, that the manority of people like to see. (MyTeam etc.)

Totally agree, the weather system needs lots of improvements.

Either way, the weather system in Slightly Mad Studios "Madness Engine" (LiveTrack3.0, IIRC), is a major opportunity for Codemasters to improve the F1 franchise by a huge leap. Imo, at the moment, Livetrack3.0 is the best weather system in any racing game or simulator out there.

Hopefully, they will make full use of the Madness Engine, and get rid off the old and outdated Ego Engine once and for all. (Or at the very least, create a hybrid engine, out of both "Ego" and "Madness")