F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE | Season 3 starting 20/11 Read more... ×

Is this upgrade in My Team a bug or working as intended?

I had a part in chasse in development when I got a regulation change. The two departments effected were this one and Aero. The part then failed development and I had to pay more resources to fix the problem. What annoyed the heck out of me was when it was finished two races later it was showing orange that it needed fixing for the new regulations as well. So paid once before regulation change, and twice after I knew what the changes were. This has to be a bug right? Why would they fix it wrong only to need to fix it again? Worse it was a major part too.

Edited by halfblindgamer

If a part failed you have to pay twice for development of the part. The third payment is to save it from regulation changes. It sounds right.

• Agree 2

You build it before the regulation change, then when you have to pay for it again you pay for the one that failed so the one before the regulation change. Then after you have to spent more to adapt it, unlucky timing.

So what you're saying is they failed to make the part, but then carried on with the same design despite it being with parts/materials or some other thing that is currently changed in the new rules. How does that make any sense?

It's not like they are looking to reinvent the wheel. The part in question they were trying to make lighter, right? So why would you perfect something that doesn't conform toe the new regulations? It would be wasted effort and resources.

Only reason acceptable would be if they could alter the one they already made that failed without building a new version, but even so if you know it will just be a banned part, why would you do it?

Edited by halfblindgamer

3 minutes ago, halfblindgamer said:

So what you're saying is they failed to make the part, but then carried on with the same design despite it being with parts/materials or some other thing that is currently changed in the new rules. How does that make any sense?

It's not like they are looking to reinvent the wheel. The part in question they were trying to make lighter, right? So why would you perfect something that doesn't conform toe the new regulations? It would be wasted effort and resources.

Only reason acceptable would be if they could alter the one they already made that failed without building a new version, but even so if you know it will just be a banned part, why would you do it?

Exactly, because you bought it before the regulation change. It's weird I know but just the way it is unfortunately, it's not that much resource points though.

7 minutes ago, halfblindgamer said:

It makes sense because you are going to use the part in the current season, under the current regulations. The additional payment was for the modification necessary for you to have the same capability under the regulations for the following season as well.

Just now, Jordutchy said:

Exactly, because you bought it before the regulation change. It's weird I know but just the way it is unfortunately, it's not that much resource points though.

Yep, I bought the part before the new regs came out, but I didn't try to fix it till I knew what the new regs were. What you're saying is that if I was making a new part out of titanium I would carry on even knowing that material couldn't be used for it with new regs.

The only reason you'd do that if the reg change was a nerf and you wanted to stick with the part under current regs, and then develop the new part afterwards.

I guess there might be reasons at times you may have to finish it to see how it works, but in most cases you'd take what you learned from the fail, but make it new with parts/materials that don't break the new regs.

6 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

It makes sense because you are going to use the part in the current season, under the current regulations. The additional payment was for the modification necessary for you to have the same capability under the regulations for the following season as well.

If this was true you'd have to do the same for every new part too. You'd have to build it twice in all cases, even if you started a new one after regs came out. Is this the case? If not then I'm not sure I agree with your point, though I can see it and mentioned it in my other post just now.

15 minutes ago, Jordutchy said:

Having to pay 1200 points, twice, sure feels like a lot. Bad enough the 28% chance failed in first place. lol

6 minutes ago, halfblindgamer said:

If this was true you'd have to do the same for every new part too. You'd have to build it twice in all cases, even if you started a new one after regs came out. Is this the case? If not then I'm not sure I agree with your point, though I can see it and mentioned it in my other post just now.

Yes, everything you research before the start of the new season you have to adapt. So basically, don't research anything from the departments hit by regulations before the new season has started unless your car is really lacking in a certain area that needs fixing now.

Edited by GnrDreagon
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, halfblindgamer said:

Having to pay 1200 points, twice, sure feels like a lot. Bad enough the 28% chance failed in first place. lol

You don't? You only have to pay full price the first time, then discounted (don't know exactly how much) to 'repair' it and only 50% of the price to adapt it.

43 minutes ago, Jordutchy said:

You don't? You only have to pay full price the first time, then discounted (don't know exactly how much) to 'repair' it and only 50% of the price to adapt it.

Also 50%.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:04 PM, Jordutchy said:

Yeah, it was a 1200 point part. Fix it 600, adapt it 600.

Also, having seen for sure when trying a new part after reg warning it is as someone said above, in that you have to update part for season you are in, and then adapt it for next seasons regs. That is far from reality. If a team switches focus from current season to the next years car they would develop it on those regs. So really, it should give option to make parts but not fit them. Guess it was too much hassle to do.

So, yeah, only option is to not touch the sections hit. Certainly if first season I can see this as valid option to get a better jump on season 2 at expense of some performance in season 1 when it won't be as critical to how you do in that years championship.

• Like 1