Forum Championship League | ITALIAN GP 29/01/2021 Read more... ×

Fuel strategy for the race

Hi All,

I started league racing and i have a question about what the best Fuel strategy would be for a 50% race.

Is it best to:

1. Start with extra fuel and race the entire race in fuel mode 3
  2. Start with exact the same level of fuel of laps there are and race the whole race in fuel mode 2
  3. Start with less fuel and race the entire race in fuel mode 1

1 and 3 are by far the worst strategies. 2 Is more or less fine but you really want to keep switching fuel use during the race.

@nitraMnotsA You want the majority of the race to be done using fuel setting 2. For the straights and while in DRS or overtake, you should switch to fuel mode 3 for maximum power. The only reason to use lean fuel or fuel mode 1 is to conserve fuel if you are getting low. Fuel mode 1 can also help with getting traction out of a slow turn, but I never bother with it. It's too much of a hassle switching fuel modes. Some will switch to lean on every slow turn but it's not necessary. When you enter the race and are given the strategy and fuel amount, add a little. If you have 20 litres for example, add .6 or .7 litres. It's better to have more fuel than less. You can always burn it off. Also the extra fuel does not affect the speed of the car when it's full at the start of a race. Everybody is full. 

• Agree 1

It's also very track dependent. On some street circuits you might well get away with under-fueling, using lean in corners and standard on straights. Then, on tracks like Monza or Spa you absolutely need the extra fuel and Mix 3. It's not a great idea to go with it for several laps in a row as you will overheat your engine and lose power. Use it on the straights and very fast sectors as suggested by @Sir_Overtakesalot. If it's a wet race you don't need as much fuel, and having less weight on low grip conditions can be very useful.

Now that the ERS hustle of the past is done for, I regularly use all three mixes on all laps, except during qualifying.

Always consider Safety Cars when deciding fuel. If the SC is on, you will very likely need less fuel.

• Agree 1

I generally over fuel the car by an extra 2 killagrames . That's when starting on slower tyre then run rich mix couple laps before pit . But to me it doesn't seem like the is any difference at all to engine power . And also over fueling the car makes you slower of line 

What I like to do (25%):

• Overfuel by 1 lap.
  • Rich Mix for Laps 1-3 to make up for lack of DRS.
  • Standard for rest of race.
  • Burn off any Rich Mix for my in/out lap during my pitstop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2