F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

R&D upgrades

Hey all

So in MyTeam, I'm now 10 races in, just completed France and moving onto Austria.
And what I've noticed so far is that the AI upgrades the car alot more often than I experienced in F1 2017. 
Like.. In F1 2017 the AI got upgrades maybe 2-3 times a season, 4 was rare. So to keep it realistic, I did the same. 
With that mindset I went into MyTeam and figured I'd push out an upgrade maybe 3-4 times a season. But to my surprise it feels/looks like the AI upgrades every other race..

I mean, look at the graph from MyTeam career.. I started the season ahead of Haas in terms of performance, and look at them now!
Do I seriously have to buy updates every race weekend to even stay with them in terms of performance? 
How many times a season do F1 teams come with upgrades in real life? 
Because right now in MyTeam it really feels like as soon as I earn the point, spend them right away to even stay somewhat close to Haas. No idea how I'll overtake them at this pace...

download.jpg

30 minutes ago, Malarky94 said:

Hey all

So in MyTeam, I'm now 10 races in, just completed France and moving onto Austria.
And what I've noticed so far is that the AI upgrades the car alot more often than I experienced in F1 2017. 
Like.. In F1 2017 the AI got upgrades maybe 2-3 times a season, 4 was rare. So to keep it realistic, I did the same. 
With that mindset I went into MyTeam and figured I'd push out an upgrade maybe 3-4 times a season. But to my surprise it feels/looks like the AI upgrades every other race..

I mean, look at the graph from MyTeam career.. I started the season ahead of Haas in terms of performance, and look at them now!
Do I seriously have to buy updates every race weekend to even stay with them in terms of performance? 
Because right now in MyTeam it really feels like as soon as I earn the point, spend them right away to even stay somewhat close to Haas. No idea how I'll overtake them at this pace...

download.jpg

real f1 teams work all the time in the season on upgrades and they get upgrades more than 4 times pre season i even go to say that they get upgrade on every race but it isn't shown on broadcast

10 hours ago, Malarky94 said:

Every race weekend. Looking for the Tech Talk program from the F1 official channel at Youtube shoes it in as much detail as possible for us outsiders.

Now meaty upgrade packages comes more sparsely. But you can never tell. Even on the Tech Talk videos you can see they going about different brake duct designs and whatever, so who knows what is just a track specific part or a upgrade to the whole season? Some of those things are generally more noticeable in hindsight. This week for instance there have been discussions on how Tracing Point is steering away (a bit) from their copycat approach and venturing on a thread of their own and you can see the breadcrumbs going far back in the season. And God only knows what is going under all that bodywork.

Same with PUs. I remember RBR going about receiving upgraded units from Honda after Hungary I think? But there's never enough spotlight on these things. They fly under the radar.

Back to the game, you have your allotment of R&D points, the breakdown of your car performance through all the different aspects, the general notion of when a reg change hits on the calendar and your in-game and personal goals through the season. I'd say, make the best of it, always. No use in trying to match what real teams do when there's no way to match the R&D dynamic of F1 teams on the game, unfortunately. 

Like you mentioned the RBR thing about Hungary. That's pretty much all you hear, though. Like 2-3 maybe 4 times a year you hear a team almost bragging about this big upgrade coming at X grand-prix. 

And I'm just trying to keep the game as realistic as possible for me. As in, I don't want to go from a backmarker in season 1 to a championship winning car in season 2. Even right now with the current graphics and my team only being better than Williams I managed a p6 in Austria due to rain, strong strategy and it being one of my stronger tracks. 

But that's the point, mate. What you hear vs what actually happens. Those upgrades you see every single week on Tech Talk are rarely talked about. 

Play as you see fit though. It is your role to be entertained and the game's job to dish out a balanced and fun experience. 

I just don't reeeeally see the point in trying to match what we perceive as being the real deal as the game isn't equipped to simulate it to that level and, as I said, we don't have near enough info on the amount of upgrades and tweaks that flies under the radar. And I see no reason to assume that only the ones that make headlines are the upgrades being done, as here and there you will stumble across a peek, veiled impression or specualtion of upgrades happening behind the curtains.

If you read the descriptions of the R&D upgrades, some match 1:1 to what we see on the day to day newsletter of minor changes between GPs. Like a revised brake duct design, a slightly different engine cover, slightly different side pods and so on. All the time.

Wait until season 2 / 3 and watch the AI make like no improvements and you are skyrocketing up

This lasts about 1 season. Once you have all your facilities at spec 1 and some at spec 2 at the start of season 2 the upgrades will come fast. I started season 2 as the 7th car and in Monaco I was the 2nd car.

• Agree 1

Third season, my team is constantly improving, the other teams... not so much

Edited by Ryne

End of season 3, an all department reg change led to my team not only recovering quickly but being miles ahead of the other teams. An end of season 4 aero change had me recover before the season was over while everyone else went backwards. So while in season 1 my experience was that of falling behind, once the facilities were up the game becomes too easy in terms of team management. 

I noticed the drivers’ pace scores go up to make more competition but the lack of good cars for them to drive means the title has been between me and my teammate for 2 years running, with Hamilton or Verstappen winning the very odd race.