F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Braking distance and lap times

Hi all - first post here! I've been a huge F1 fan all my life - been playing F1 sims for decades - since the first Crammond/Microprose F1GP. I play on an xbox 1x and have a TM F1 wheel with TP3A pedals. I know the tracks well (ok not ALL of them, but most pretty well by now). For whatever reason, I can't find those last 2-3 seconds/lap to be competitive on 100% difficulty. My setups are good, my braking points seem to be pretty much where they need to be, and when I compare to hotlaps I see of the "big guns" it looks pretty much like I'm hitting my braking points/apexes just about on point. But - I still can't find those last couple seconds. If I brake later I miss my apex or lockup. Nothing I do seems to matter. 

Suggestions? Is it my setup? Is a PC better? Is the Fanatec direct drive setup better? For the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to find those couple seconds/lap.

Edited by j105tolo

Welcome, pal! Could you record and upload a lap? Such things are easier when we can see it for ourselves.

An accompanying setup for the track would be nice too. 

There should be no differences between platforms as far as I know, though.

Haha no idea, mate. I'm a ps4 player so I just hit the Share button and punt it off to youtube.

I'm sure there are workarounds though. Google could help you with that.

Failing that, just record a video from your phone on a stable surface. It's not like we're Mercedes' pit wall level of advice here anyway haha

6 hours ago, j105tolo said:

For whatever reason, I can't find those last 2-3 seconds/lap to be competitive on 100% difficulty. My setups are good, my braking points seem to be pretty much where they need to be, and when I compare to hotlaps I see of the "big guns" it looks pretty much like I'm hitting my braking points/apexes just about on point. But - I still can't find those last couple seconds. If I brake later I miss my apex or lockup. Nothing I do seems to matter. 

Suggestions? Is it my setup? Is a PC better? Is the Fanatec direct drive setup better? For the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to find those couple seconds/lap.

Welcome!  I have a couple of comments - like you, I've been playing the F1 201x versions for a couple of years, sort of knew the tracks, did OK at 70% - 80% range, but didn't play a whole lot.  Last winter, I started playing F1 2019 more seriously, then my Thrustmaster steering wheel lost the feedback (broke).  I replaced the setup with a Fanatec setup in April, and have been playing a LOT of 2019, then F1 2020, since then - I'm competitive at 100% lately.

• I figure the Fanatec setup allowed me to add 5% to the difficulty, mostly due to the load cell brakes and the better feel they provide.  In May, I was competitive at 80% - 85%.  I have done 3 or 4 seasons of Career on F1 2019, a season of F1 on F1 2019, then 3 seasons of My Team and a season of Career on F1 2020, along with a couple of dozen of ranked races and Weekend Challenges.
  • Braking points are one thing - trail braking is even more important.  You'll probably pick up an easy 0.5 seconds per lap by learning to trail brake in to the apexes.
  • Don't over-brake - keep your apex speeds as high as you can
  • coming out of the corners - pick up the throttle to maintain speed through the apex and/or start accelerating early, long before the car will take large throttle openings you can add slight amounts of throttle.  It's easy to pick up another 0.5 seconds per lap with early throttle.
  • Use ALL the track - see where the AI or Time Trial ghost cars are going on to the curbs before turning in, or when tracking out, or when through a chicane.  
  • Watch some of the expert YouTubers, study their lines, but especially watch the brake and throttle inputs on their MFD displays - Tom97, Jaaames (Baldwin), publish track and setup guides for each track, as do several others.  Watch some of the Tubers who publish complete My Team seasons like Tiametmarduk, Aarava - those guys race at 109%.  You can see how they trail brake, how they ease in throttle, and what lines they use.  Driver61 Sim Racing has some great sim instruction videos; Boosted Media; Jimmy Broadbent; TRL Limitless - lots to be learned by watching the lines and brake/throttle of those guys.
  • Setups - how are your setups?  I started using the Tom97 and Jaaames setups as documented on their Youtube videos, but Jaaames uses setups similar to the top Time Trial setups - they seem to be quite similar nowadays, 2+ months after F1 2020 was released.  The right setup can be more sensitive to bumps or inappropriate throttle application, but if driven smoothly can gain you another easy 0.5+ seconds per lap compared to an easier-to-drive setup.  
  • There's 1.5 seconds/lap right there! 
  • Since July, I've watched a couple of hours a week of the series from Tiametmarduk and aarava, and the setup and track guides, averaged probably 1 hr/day or more driving myself, and have gradually been increasing my AI difficulty a few percent per week, and "suddenly" I've gone from 80% - 85% to 95% - 100%.

Cheers,

Gordon

• Agree 1

Hi there fellow racer and F1 fan.

I have read the responses you received here with interest and have taken their great advice on-board myself. I’m playing only at 90, that’s significantly below both your and the previous writer’s level, but just want to say that before you decide if you even want to read my advice below...Also I’m just a gamer, I have driven cars for a long time but never competitively (unless you count a bit of friendly carting) so take my advice with a pinch for salt.

My opinion is that you are perhaps looking for too much gain in one go. As you know 2-3 tenths is a huge amount in F1... 2-3 seconds is an eternity.

Late breaking is thought of by many as the panacea to faster lap times. While being able to be adaptable in a wheel to wheel situation with your breaking point in order to position your car to the detriment of your opponent, in many cases for lap-times breaking early and compromising entry speed in order to get a good exit is a more beneficial approach to build consistency. Once you have mastered ‘slow in, fast out’ only then should you begin to consider working on ‘fast in, fast out’.

My own approach is to focus on consistency, incremental improvements will soon follow, I’m talking a tenth at a time. A tenth at each corner over a ten corner track is a full second. That’s the difference between pope and fifth at Mugello this year IRL. One can eat an entire elephant by taking only one bite at a time. 

In my experience if I have a ghost in time trial that’s too far ahead of me my mind soon tells me that the task is simply  insurmountable, I get frustrated, begin to over-drive and then soon give up as I then counter-productively get slower ...but if I set one that’s just a fraction faster than me I soon learn where I lose time.

Then... repetition is key. I would take the particular corner and flashback repeatedly to take that corner again and again. Importantly we are creatures of habit, excellence is a habit as is failure, so if I find myself constantly repeating the same error (max 3 times same error, otherwise you are learning the error) while trying this I switch to another corner or take a break, conversely if it ‘clicks’ I repeat until I can no longer stay in the sweet spot.

I then try to put the lap together with my new muscle memory for each corner, consistently.

The final caveat I want to point out is that TT is artificial, no tyre deg, no heat, perfect fuel, top car, engine modes etc so you now have to go and repeatedly and consistently do the same in practice sessions, then of course in a race situation. 

For additional improvements or particularly challenges I use also telemetry apps. PXG telemetry or Iko Rein’s is equally good.

I hope that my approach gives you insight into how someone else does it, take the good for yourself, and tell me if you think any aspect of this is bad so I can improve it myself as well. 

Above all, enjoy the race! 

Edited by QmanXV
Telemetry information
  • Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 12:17 PM, QmanXV said:

Hi there fellow racer and F1 fan.

I have read the responses you received here with interest and have taken their great advice on-board myself. I’m playing only at 90, that’s significantly below both your and the previous writer’s level, but just want to say that before you decide if you even want to read my advice below...Also I’m just a gamer, I have driven cars for a long time but never competitively (unless you count a bit of friendly carting) so take my advice with a pinch for salt.

My opinion is that you are perhaps looking for too much gain in one go. As you know 2-3 tenths is a huge amount in F1... 2-3 seconds is an eternity.

Late breaking is thought of by many as the panacea to faster lap times. While being able to be adaptable in a wheel to wheel situation with your breaking point in order to position your car to the detriment of your opponent, in many cases for lap-times breaking early and compromising entry speed in order to get a good exit is a more beneficial approach to build consistency. Once you have mastered ‘slow in, fast out’ only then should you begin to consider working on ‘fast in, fast out’.

My own approach is to focus on consistency, incremental improvements will soon follow, I’m talking a tenth at a time. A tenth at each corner over a ten corner track is a full second. That’s the difference between pope and fifth at Mugello this year IRL. One can eat an entire elephant by taking only one bite at a time. 

In my experience if I have a ghost in time trial that’s too far ahead of me my mind soon tells me that the task is simply  insurmountable, I get frustrated, begin to over-drive and then soon give up as I then counter-productively get slower ...but if I set one that’s just a fraction faster than me I soon learn where I lose time.

Then... repetition is key. I would take the particular corner and flashback repeatedly to take that corner again and again. Importantly we are creatures of habit, excellence is a habit as is failure, so if I find myself constantly repeating the same error (max 3 times same error, otherwise you are learning the error) while trying this I switch to another corner or take a break, conversely if it ‘clicks’ I repeat until I can no longer stay in the sweet spot.

I then try to put the lap together with my new muscle memory for each corner, consistently.

The final caveat I want to point out is that TT is artificial, no tyre deg, no heat, perfect fuel, top car, engine modes etc so you now have to go and repeatedly and consistently do the same in practice sessions, then of course in a race situation. 

For additional improvements or particularly challenges I use also telemetry apps. PXG telemetry or Iko Rein’s is equally good.

I hope that my approach gives you insight into how someone else does it, take the good for yourself, and tell me if you think any aspect of this is bad so I can improve it myself as well. 

Above all, enjoy the race! 

Great post. A lot of helpful information. Sometimes you can't see the forrest because of all the trees.