F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Damage model

Couch this to say I love this game and I'm also not very good at it being pretty new to the F1 series, but seems like the damage model could be improved.  I know this will likely happen on the next gen consoles, but say me and another driver go through a tight corner and we touch wheels or my wheel hits his side pod pretty good, no damage that I can tell other than maybe some tire issues.  Also, you can't knock off your rear wing!  I want to see carbon fiber spraying all over during my massive shunts!

All joking aside, love the game, but I think this would add some realism and I'm sure it has been discussed thoroughly by Codemasters

You are totally right but I think most players are happy with this dull damage model. Such a shame. 

Under damage settings none, full and reduced are self explanatory, but what does simulation/simulated mean?

On 9/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, stuffedpenguin said:

Couch this to say I love this game and I'm also not very good at it being pretty new to the F1 series, but seems like the damage model could be improved.  I know this will likely happen on the next gen consoles, but say me and another driver go through a tight corner and we touch wheels or my wheel hits his side pod pretty good, no damage that I can tell other than maybe some tire issues.  Also, you can't knock off your rear wing!  I want to see carbon fiber spraying all over during my massive shunts!

All joking aside, love the game, but I think this would add some realism and I'm sure it has been discussed thoroughly by Codemasters

Totally agree with you, the rear section of the car is basically protected by an invisible force field in this game (both AI & Player, actually), I was especially disappointed that the rear wing could never break.

If you play on PC, highly recommend to use the Realistic setting of Extreme Damage Mod, it increased the sensitivity and likelihood of parts felling off from contacts to a pretty realistic level.

Downside is you can't play multiplayer with it installed, so always backup your files.

Edited by DRTApophis

I think you’ll find most actually want a better system. 

However the teams don’t want to portray their cars as brittle and sponsors are also involved hence why you just crash to the safety cell. 

i did a race online a couple of days back where a car behind me outbrakes himself and hit my rear wing.. Guess what; My front wing brakes haha

I miss the Grand Prix 2 days where you could literally roll your car and all that's left is the monocoque 😎

Whether it's due to sponsor stipulations or not, the damage model has needed improving for years. Even the immediate 'game over' cutscene once you've lost a wheel is getting tiresome - just let us continue on 3 wheels if we have to!

Open question: which racing game has the best damage model?

What would be the point of having rear wing damage in the game though? I mean, a better animation when you trash it In the barrier would be nice, but if you do this it’s race over anyway. The teams can’t repair rear wing damage in a pitstop so really wouldn’t add anything to the game in my opinion.

Front wing damage is another matter, and it is frustrating how sometimes your front wing can break from contact that clearly didn’t touch the front of your car!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CriggleWiggle said:

I miss the Grand Prix 2 days where you could literally roll your car and all that's left is the monocoque 😎

Whether it's due to sponsor stipulations or not, the damage model has needed improving for years. Even the immediate 'game over' cutscene once you've lost a wheel is getting tiresome - just let us continue on 3 wheels if we have to!

Open question: which racing game has the best damage model?

In Racing Simulation 2: Monaco Grand Prix from Dreamcast, both front & rear wing including the nose cone can flew off separately. It also featured tire burst/punctures, twisted suspension when you went off track and hit the curb or bounced-off the gravel too hard (not just completely came off), could even slightly twists the monocoque and split the whole thing in half under heavy hit, with engine & gearbox rules implemented with the possibility of these components complete fail in the game as well. Oh, and the car collision model is not just a box compare to most games at that era or even nowadays, you could climb over other cars if your wheel hit other car's wheel at certain angle and the car could even go airborne and flip.

All done before the year 2000.

Though, that game is not licensed by F1 so it's probably not fair to compare it with ours, but the tech is definitely possible. In my opinion it's the most underrated F1 game ever.

Edited by DRTApophis

If I were to wager I'd say there's an underplayed factor of system processing. The AI and all the handling mechanics being simulated on real time (for the player and for the AI, so this factors twice in the equation) have taken leaps since those years. All of these things demand processing power from the platform. Along with damage simulation, they're all very demanding processes.

Let's see what the next gen games give us.

It actually quite hard to break the rear wing of the car in front. The low-profile nose cones of the current cars means they are more likely to duck underneath the car rather than on top of it. The incident would need to be something like Leclerc-Vettel in Austria.

A more "realistic" event would be damage to the rear diffusor, which has a huge impact on overall downforce and the balance of the car. However, personally I'm actually quite happy it's not simulated, at least online. It's bad enough to get 5 second penalties for other cars crashing into the back of you behind the SC. The frustration would be through the roof if it also meant rear diffusor or rear wing damage, which are unfixable during a race.

• Agree 1