F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

PSA: Do NOT load a setup in Q1

I just loaded a setup for the circuit because I wasn't 100% sure I loaded it during practice. So I went out for quali and the fools in the garage send me out with 12 laps of fuel instead of the usual 5 or so. And because I was on parc fermé I couldn't change the fuel load in any of the quali sessions.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, GnrDreagon said:

I just loaded a setup for the circuit because I wasn't 100% sure I loaded it during practice. So I went out for quali and the fools in the garage send me out with 12 laps of fuel instead of the usual 5 or so. And because I was on parc fermé I couldn't change the fuel load in any of the quali sessions.

As far as i know, you can change the amount of fuel you take in any of the quali sessions, as it is not affected by parc fermé rules. (Correct me if im wrong)

Maybe a bug, idk.

34 minutes ago, Tomasslb24 said:

As far as i know, you can change the amount of fuel you take in any of the quali sessions, as it is not affected by parc fermé rules. (Correct me if im wrong)

Maybe a bug, idk.

You change fuel in the setup screen, which you can't access under parc fermé. At least as far as I can tell. I just assumed the game would load up the proper amount of fuel for whatever program or activity it is you're doing like it always does. But apparently not.

Edited by GnrDreagon
  • Confused 2

Just coming in from a full quali at Silverstone. I changed my fuel load thrice between Q1 and Q2. All done through the Car Setup tab.

Didn't bother changing tabs but I assume every other option apart from Front Wing and Brake Bias would be faded out to me.

You sure you cannot access the setup?

10 hours ago, GnrDreagon said:

I'm guessing it's because you forgot to change the fuel amount before you saved the setup the first time around. Saving the setup also saves the fuel amount too. I've made this mistake myself several times.

Also, you can definitely change the fuel during parc ferme.

8 hours ago, GnrDreagon said:

I just assumed the game would load up the proper amount of fuel for whatever program or activity it is you're doing like it always does. But apparently not.

The amount of fuel is only fixed when doing the practice programs. I assume cos its easier for the 'team' to work out the data from a fixed/known amount.

If you leave the pits during practice without doing a practice program, you get the amount of fuel set in the setup screen.

Why would the 'game' know how much fuel you want in qualifying? What if qualie was wet? I like to put 6 laps worth of fuel in and just lap to test conditions/dry the track etc. Its just habit to check the fuel amount before leaving on every qualie run.

As for parc ferme - you can still change the amount of fuel, front wing and brake bias once youve left the pits/before the race start when selecting your strategy.

When you load a setup in quali, it'll have the same amount of fuel as it had when you saved it. Only in race sessions will the fuel be automatically calculated.

For example: I do my Forum Championship practice on GP mode and I usually save my setup in it. When I load the setup in quali, the car will then have the 30 laps of fuel that it had when I saved the setup.

Fuel is not affected by parc ferme and can be changed at any point in time as far as I know... because I've done it twice as I had forgotten I had 30 laps of fuel on 😅

I guess I might've missed something. Still annoying that it doesn't automatically change the fuel amount. It does change the fuel load automatically for each practice program if you load the setup during practice and also for quali if you loaded the setup during practice.

@GnrDreagon that's probably because there are different approaches to qualifying and the game will let you do as you please, assuming the fuel load you set on your setup is the one you want to do your quali with.

@dshepsman has shared his preference already. I take turns between setting fuel for one out lap + 2 hot laps + in lap or one out lap + 1 hot lap + in lap, depending on how confident I am with my performance or the track evolution.

I'd bet other users here do differently too.

By default the game won't ever let you out on quali with 10 laps worth of fuel. It's just that the quali default load was manually overwritten by you when you loaded up your saved setup - which makes perfect sense as practice programmes have their own predetermined fuel load. On top of that you could always get back to the garage to adjust it during quali.